Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 141 Posts

·
Registered
3,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
https://twitter.com/CodyRhodes/status/1160639448318709765

thoughts?

personally it was a shock to me, it means we haven't even seen half of their roster and in the same thread cody does confirms that they do have some big guys and heavyweight guys but they haven't been released.

while we knew not all their roster was revealed this percentage is quite shocking.

earlier this week I also saw some kind of Mexican journalist say that aew is still hiring heavyweights guys who are heading there.
thoughts guys?

·
Lifting weights and eating steaks
18,189 Posts
I don't think it's that much of a shock.

I'm sure he's probably including those he can't legally confirm for now as they are contracted elsewhere but probably given word that they'll be signing for AEW as well as those they're willing to bring through on television who 95% of the worlds population probably haven't heard of therefore didn't need any big deal being made via Twitter or via YouTube etc.

Wardlow for example. He's signed yet they haven't confirmed anything and they're probably waiting for weekly television to start so they can just have him destroy some jobbers. No one knows who he is though so no point making him seem a big deal before he's signed. Let the audience make their mind up when shows start etc.

·
Registered
811 Posts
Only 40%!!
There is no way that only a weekly 2hr show will suffice

I think they will hit the ground running with 2x shows weekly and havnt announced it yet.....

·
Registered
24,516 Posts
Feels like an over exaggeration.

They've got just a 2 hour weekly show. They've got 8 real tag teams plus more that you can put together, around 10-15 women on the roster, a good mix of top stars and unknowns, plus their agreements with OWE and AAA.

And that's less than half your roster? If that's true, it sounds like overkill for a 2 hour weekly show.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
As I said in the other thread, the best approach would be to rotate who they use each week. If they actually have as big of a roster as Cody claims, they should leave a handful of their top guys off the show entirely during certain weeks so as to not overexpose them.

Going to two shows would be a bad idea.

·
Registered
17,336 Posts
Holy fuck!!! 40 percent only. I wonder who the 60 percent are? And do they have them locked up waiting or is it more of a prediction

·
Registered
3,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i do think they need a better midcard tho. the current one isn't extremely strong. so their main event and uppercased + their tag team is great so far. but their women division and midcard needs work
it'll be interesting to see tho

·
Registered
6,521 Posts
More tags - men and women

More hosses - couple of heavyweights - couple of part timers

I can see it.

60% is an over exaggeration though - has to be

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Hopefully, as this current roster is pure garbage.

In fact I would be mad if wasn't like that.

·
Registered
22,748 Posts
Probably an exaggeration, but I assume most will be jobbers which is needed. How many will actually matter is the real intriguing part

·
Registered
240 Posts
very surpriing if true simply because they are doing few shows. Only about 2 shows a week..just over 100 a year. You dont need a large bloated roster when you dont have 5 hours plus of weekly tv and multiple touring house shows.

Keep the roster slim and get rid of most of the mediocre trash.

·
Registered
11,920 Posts
A lot more women for sure - Ivelisse, Teal Piper and Jazz likely all signed. IIRC they need five more women still to get to 21 for the CBR.

Three more tag teams would be six more hires as well.

Also I wonder if they signed jobbers to a certain level of deal.

No way they have 40+ more wrestlers not named yet. But I could see upwards of 20. Five more women, 6 more tag wrestlers and nine singles men.

Rusev seems to be likely, Scurll likely. Is he counting PAC? Wardlow is known. What about non-exclusive deals with some AAA talent? Enzo and Cass is a real possibility as nZo's mouth aimed at WWE would be a fun thing. LAX are free agents. Jake Hager unfortunately. When does Cobb's contract expire?

·
Registered
11,920 Posts
Honestly, I feel like he's learned some hard life lessons since WWE, and he's been busting his ass off. I'd welcome giving him an opportunity.
AEW road schedule would be better for his mental health as well. I don't think you bring him in without nZo though. 70 shows a year means you could sleep in your bed 5 nights a week.

I know it sounds so little, but NHL and NBA teams play 82 games a year and some lesser players playing time is 5 minutes a game in the NHL and NBA players 10-15 often get the same or don't play at all - just suit up and ride the pine.

Players also play half their games "at home" and all their road travel is handled by the team chartering planes and the like and they have an off-season.

·
Justice 4 Asuka
1,584 Posts
40%? Jesus, they already have close to 50 on their roster, if this is right that would be over 110 they would have plus the partnerships with other promotions. That's WWE size roster if this is accurate.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Cody: “We’ve revealed about 40% of the roster. Sometimes it’s better to let the painter paint and then judge the picture.”

https://twitter.com/codyrhodes/status/1160639448318709765?s=21

So more than half the roster hasn’t even been revealed yet according to Cody. I wonder who else they have in store?

A few easy guesses based off following closely:

Wardlow (name was on the whiteboard in a vid; he follows AEW, Cody, etc. on twitter)

Marty Scurll (obviously friends with the Elite)

Pac (should be rejoining now that he lost the Dragon gate title)

Someone from AAA?

Etc.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Re: Cody: “We’ve revealed about 40% of the roster. Sometimes it’s better to let the painter paint and then judge the picture.”

The hottest free agent at the end of the year is going to be Tessa Blanchard. I believe her contract is up at the end of 2019. Both AEW & WWE are going to want to add her. Tessa to WWE could beef up an already talented roster. Tessa to AEW can give AEW a legit face/backbone to their womens division. Will be interesting to see where she goes.

1 - 20 of 141 Posts