Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Maybe in 2021 the biggest match of the year happens in November, then in 2022 the biggest match happens in May. The "everything big should happen at Wrestlemania" leads to boring holding patterns and sometimes feel handicapped in having to delay big matches for certain shows. If the biggest possible match AEW can do happens at Full Gear, then they do it, same for Revolution ect... Anyone agrees with me?

·
Registered
504 Posts
You like that they haven't been able to have a marquee event where thousands of fans from all over the world come together?

to boring holding patterns and sometimes feel handicapped in having to delay big matches for certain shows.
How exactly has the lack of a "Wrestlemania" stopped this from happening in AEW? Omega and Page's title reign? Every single one of Moxley's title defenses? Every woman's title match?

They're all predictable... Did the outcome of any of these surprise you? Or keep you at the edge of your seat?

·
Registered
7,604 Posts
At the edge of my seat: Omega/Page vs Young Bucks

Surprising: Jericho beats Omega, Hikaru Shida beats Nyla Rose

·
The Fastest of the Fastest of Jamaican Sprinters
3,955 Posts
Maybe in 2021 the biggest match of the year happens in November, then in 2022 the biggest match happens in May. The "everything big should happen at Wrestlemania" leads to boring holding patterns and sometimes feel handicapped in having to delay big matches for certain shows. If the biggest possible match AEW can do happens at Full Gear, then they do it, same for Revolution ect... Anyone agrees with me?
Interesting post.

Since Starrcade was introduced in 1983, every major US promotion (and most around the world) has centered their calendar around a single "big" event of the year. At the moment, AEW hews more closely to the UFC model - big matches are scattered throughout the year, with no particular beginning or end to the overall story. That does allow AEW to book freely without worrying about the "that match should have been saved for WrestleMania" line of thinking.

That said, put a gun to Tony Khan's head and offer him a choice between (A) the current, wide open AEW model and (B) a single event that brings fans from a hundred countries, takes up the better part of a week, and generates untold tens of millions of dollars for the company and the host city, and I think we all know which one he's choosing.

·
Registered
7,604 Posts
A lot of people say that Starrcade was WCW's WrestleMania but I don't think it really played out that way. For example, the nWo formed at Bash at the Beach.

All the WCW PPVs felt pretty equal to me. I don't think you can really force a "WrestleMania"

·
Registered
5,678 Posts
Yeah. I actually like it this way. Because big feuds and matches can be spread out more and that can keep people interested in AEW for longer.

So..I agree lol.

·
The Empire will Reign again
17,490 Posts
To be fair WWE doesn't have to stay in holding paterns for WM, they have the Big 4 events, all which need big matches, plus MitB which has become the de facto Big 5th, and HiaC and ER which should both be the blow offs to big feuds.

WWE stays in holding patterns because Vince is creatively bankrupt, not because of WM.

·
Premium Member
6,654 Posts
A lot of people say that Starrcade was WCW's WrestleMania but I don't think it really played out that way. For example, the nWo formed at Bash at the Beach.

All the WCW PPVs felt pretty equal to me. I don't think you can really force a "WrestleMania"
Well, things like guys debuting right after their contracts are up kind of necessitated that time line. But when they built to the giant blowoff match for Sting and Hogan, it was at Starrcade. Goldberg's streak finally ended at Starrcade. Ditto for Piper/Hogan. Starrcade certainly became less prominent after that when WCW started dying but it was by far their biggest event.

·
Premium Member
13,811 Posts
it's a very fair point, OP. That way, they don't hold off big marquee feuds or matches for specific shows. It's good and doesn't inhibit creativity for the rest of the year.

·
Registered
2,175 Posts

Since when are moments like this confined to solely WM level events? Should Austin 3:16 been a WM moment instead of happening at KOTR? What about The Rock turning heel and joining The Corporation? Or Jericho being the first undisputed champion? Do you also think Vince McMahon would allow a Bash at the Beach 2000 situation to happen at a WM? I don’t think he would. Big moments happening only at WM is current day WWE think, and a reason why the product has become unwatchable. There's nothing to look forwards to for the rest of the year under the current WWE model.

There is nothing wrong with the current model AEW uses. AEW confirming a WM show kind of means they have to alter when the season begins and ends. And Full Gear doesn't sound like a year end event on the level of Starrcade. Maybe if AEW switched that event around with Blood & Guts & let that event be the end of year event instead would the last PPV feel like a bigger deal.

·
Registered
314 Posts
I could have sworn that Tony Khan said multiple times before that Double or Nothing was their biggest show of the year. Granted there is a good chance he was just promoting the ppv before it happened.

To me personally, Double or Nothing is their biggest show.

Debut of the world title
Debut of TNT title
First TNT champion crowned
debut of Jon Moxley
Debut of Brian Cage
First AEW ppv
Big blow of feud matches happening here.

·
Registered
5,345 Posts

Undertaker made his debut at Survivor series, yet he´s famous for Wrestlemania matches. Given time AEW will probably try to make one event more special than the others, but it might even not be one we know yet like All Out or DoN.. They could come up with a whole new creation.

·
Registered
875 Posts
All In 2, All In 3 etc is their best option for a starting a WrestleMania equivalent. Doesn't have to be annually. But getting wrestling companies to successfully work together never works out. This would need AEW, ROH, NJPW, Impact, NWA, MLW to work together.

·
Registered
23,362 Posts
Except AEW has its own holding pattern of fucking off the 6 weeks after a PPV until a hastily built TV special. Then they build to a PPV for 4-5 weeks. Plus it's clear Full Gear and Revolution aren't nearly as important as DoN and All Out.

·
Premium Member
6,654 Posts
They should go 8 PPVs, one every 6 weeks. Like many say, they suck at 12 week planning.
I think they should go to six first and see. They already have Fyter Fest and Fight for the Fallen established. Just turn those into actual PPVs. See how one every other month works.

·
THE MAN has come around to collect her debts.
11,090 Posts
Except AEW has its own holding pattern of fucking off the 6 weeks after a PPV until a hastily built TV special. Then they build to a PPV for 4-5 weeks. Plus it's clear Full Gear and Revolution aren't nearly as important as DoN and All Out.
Looks like their gonna break that trend this time, 4 week build to the Ann. show, then PPV build for the next 4 weeks

Last week's show was good and tomorrow's is stacked, so hopefully the post-PPV slump is something they are aware of and working to change.

They just need more TV specials if they don't wanna add PPV's. The Anniversary show should be a yearly special now that year one is in the bag.

·
Registered
23,362 Posts
Looks like their gonna break that trend this time, 4 week build to the Ann. show, then PPV build for the next 4 weeks

Last week's show was good and tomorrow's is stacked, so hopefully the post-PPV slump is something they are aware of and working to change.
Hoping so, but we'll know how they're moving once the Full Gear fall out happens. Since obviously the anniversary show is a natural big deal. But growing pains are expected a year in.

·
Registered
12,347 Posts
I like the "Grandaddy of them all" type of PPV. But then again I'm a proponent of an off-season, meaning there would basically be a season premiere that is ALL OUT over Labor Day Weekend and a season finale Double or Nothing in Late May every year. I'd have a G-1 type tournament each summer that would air on TNT.

·
THE MAN has come around to collect her debts.
11,090 Posts
Hoping so, but we'll know how they're moving once the Full Gear fall out happens. Since obviously the anniversary show is a natural big deal. But growing pains are expected a year in.
Yeah Revolution is at the end of February, like 12 weeks after Full Gear, they need a Winter special or something in between, a New Year's Bash would be a good idea

1 - 20 of 25 Posts