Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Is that there is no "larger than life" characters in the company. Everybody is a human being and it doesn't feel so... pantomime. For instance we look at John Cena and we see this superhero-esque character that never fails to overcome the odds and make the kids happy. And that kind of backs WWE into a corner because they believe that if John Cena suffers one huge loss, that it will shatter everything.

When we turn on TNA, we don't see those type of characters. We see professional wrestlers, people that we can relate to. And in a way, it just feels more real to me. TNA's main event usually consists of a great match between two wrestlers, but WWE's main events are usually hyped up as this "groundbreaking fiasco between two huge superstars". It's kind of hard to explain but I'm sure if you compare the two main event scenes, you'll understand what I mean. Anybody else feel the same way?

·
Registered
7,658 Posts
John Cena is guy who lives by a code of Hustle, Loyalty & Respect, how is that not relatable to everyday people ?

A babyface finally being able to overcome the odds is what they do and what people pay to see.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Is that there is no "larger than life" characters in the company. Everybody is a human being and it doesn't feel so... pantomime. For instance we look at John Cena and we see this superhero-esque character that never fails to overcome the odds and make the kids happy. And that kind of backs WWE into a corner because they believe that if John Cena suffers one huge loss, that it will shatter everything.

When we turn on TNA, we don't see those type of characters. We see professional wrestlers, people that we can relate to. And in a way, it just feels more real to me. TNA's main event usually consists of a great match between two wrestlers, but WWE's main events are usually hyped up as this "groundbreaking fiasco between two huge superstars". It's kind of hard to explain but I'm sure if you compare the two main event scenes, you'll understand what I mean. Anybody else feel the same way?
If you ignore Cena for a second, i dont see how Orton, Sheamus, Barrett, Big Show, Edge etc are any less relatable than Angle, Anderson, Hardy, Styles or RVD.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
John Cena is guy who lives by a code of Hustle, Loyalty & Respect, how is that not relatable to everyday people ?

A babyface finally being able to overcome the odds is what they do and what people pay to see.
But that's not real life. We don't always win or overcome the odds. TNA is all about realism nowadays, that's why they have the spy-cam on their backstage segments now.

When I look at guys like Ken Anderson, Kurt Angle, AJ Styles... I see guys who have entertained me in the ring and to an extent on the mic. Not guys who have played a "character". I don't see wrestling like that, to me that's like looking up to a movie character. Now WWE do have their fair share of relatable characters. I can relate to MVP, Sheamus, Daniel Bryan, amongst others. But for the most part, WWE's roster is filled with these larger than life characters that WWE focus on making the audience look up to, and not relate to. People are looking up to John Cena as a superhero, they're not relating to him like a human being.

People don't see AJ Styles as a superhero, and to me that's a good thing. Because when these people grow up, they can still say that AJ Styles entertained them in the ring and possibly inspired themselves to become professional wrestlers. When they talk about John Cena, they'll say "I loved him as a kid", and will remember all those times he overcame the odds. Not the great matches he's had.

·
Registered
5,100 Posts
You say "larger than life" character like it's a bad thing. As long as these "characters" are entertaining, i don't see anything wrong with it. Besides, i think there are not many "larger than life characters" in WWE anymore, most of them are just ordinary guys with unique personality now.

·
Registered
7,658 Posts
But that's not real life. We don't always win or overcome the odds. TNA is all about realism nowadays, that's why they have the spy-cam on their backstage segments now.

When I look at guys like Ken Anderson, Kurt Angle, AJ Styles... I see guys who have entertained me in the ring and to an extent on the mic. Not guys who have played a "character". I don't see wrestling like that, to me that's like looking up to a movie character. Now WWE do have their fair share of relatable characters. I can relate to MVP, Sheamus, Daniel Bryan, amongst others. But for the most part, WWE's roster is filled with these larger than life characters that WWE focus on making the audience look up to, and not relate to. People are looking up to John Cena as a superhero, they're not relating to him like a human being. People don't see AJ Styles as a superhero, and to me that's a good thing. Because when these people grow up, they can still say that AJ Styles entertained them in the ring. That's a good thing, right?
Ofcourse people don't always overcome the odds, Cena has'nt either.

TNA is'nt about realism, Pro Wrestling a majority of the time is'nt about realism.
In real life would 2 men who absolutely hate each other stand face to face, talkin trash about the scheduled date of their fight ? NO

There's something wrong with looking up to someone ?
Right now Cena is faced with a choice to either turn his back on his friends & fans or be fired.
People everyday have to make choices that will either help them or hinder them.

A wrestler just does'nt entertian people with their in-ring work.

·
Banned
3,750 Posts

Thats what I like about TNA in general - its realistic and doesnt insult my intelligence (apart from Abyss).

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ofcourse people don't always overcome the odds, Cena has'nt either.

TNA is'nt about realism, Pro Wrestling a majority of the time is'nt about realism.
Would 2 men who absolutely hate each other stand face to face, talkin trash about the scheduled date of their fight ? NO

There's something wrong with looking up to someone ?
Right now Cena is faced with a choice to either turn his back on his friends & fans or be fired.
People everyday have to make choices that will either help them or hinder them.

A wrestler just does'nt entertian people with their in-ring work.
In the Ultimate Fighting Championship, it's that way. They hype up the fight and take it out on each other there.

I never said there was something wrong with looking up to somebody, or telling a story. But when you look up to John Cena, you're doing just that - Looking up to him. As a Superhero. You are not relating to him like you would with say Kurt Angle. That's fine and all for kids, 20 years from now, they will probably look back and say what they say about Hogan now. "He was never really good in the ring, and had to be carried to a good match." all whilst the Daniel Bryan's and CM Punk's are more fondly remembered and are used as inspirations for the future of the business.

·
Registered
7,658 Posts
Thats what I like about TNA in general - its realistic and doesnt insult my intelligence (apart from Abyss).
We've had a wrestler beaten with a board w/nail, a wrestler kidnapped, two fans kidnapped and a wrestler choked unconscious with a steel chain....but no one's gone to jail.

yeah, so realistic :rolleyes:

In the Ultimate Fighting Championship, it's that way. They hype up the fight and take it out on each other there.

I never said there was something wrong with looking up to somebody, or telling a story. But when you look up to John Cena, you're doing just that - Looking up to him. As a Superhero. You are not relating to him like you would with say Kurt Angle. That's fine and all for kids, 20 years from now, they will probably look back and say what they say about Hogan now. "He was never really good in the ring, and had to be carried to a good match." all whilst the Daniel Bryan's and CM Punk's are more fondly remembered and are used as inspirations for the future of the business.
The rivalries are real but it's still a sport.

A little realism is good but there comes a point were people don't want to see real, if they did they would'nt be watching pro wrestling.

Pro wrestling is about the characters and storylines foremost.

you're kidding right ? :lmao
Punk & Bryan more remember than HULK f*ckin HOGAN ?

·
Premium Member
43,668 Posts
I think TNA puts forth an effort to have most of the guys come off as real people (Abyss being the exception), which I appreciate. The problem is the writing & how bad it is, which prevents the stories involving these characters from working real well.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
We've had a wrestler beaten with a board w/nail, a wrestler kidnapped, two fans kidnapped and a wrestler choked unconscious with a steel chain....but no one's gone to jail.

yeah, so realistic :rolleyes:

The rivalries are real but it's still a sport.

A little realism is good but there comes a point were people don't want to see real, if they did they would'nt be watching pro wrestling.

Pro wrestling is about the characters and storylines foremost.

you're kidding right ? :lmao
Punk & Bryan more remember than HULK f*ckin HOGAN ?
NO! I meant that Punk and Bryan will likely be more fondly remembered than John Cena.

Bret Hart, Ric Flair, Curt Hennig, Shawn Michaels are more fondly remembered than Hulk Hogan. Those were the guys that inspired many to get into the business, how many people has Hulk Hogan inspired to get into the business? That superhero act is good for business and children at the time, but it's not what adults want to see. Believe it or not, the adult fanbase takes up alot. It's not just children who watch and buy tickets. TNA aims for both children and adults, TNA shows that you don't need these sort of characters and I don't know about anybody else, but I'm enjoying it this way. TNA take risks, they don't give me the constant feel-good storyline or insult my intelligence. Apart from maybe Abyss.. but even then, wrestling always has a monster character. What's new?

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
AJ Styles can kick out of like 20 Angle Slams how is that not super hero esque?
This is exactly what I am talking about. TNA are not insulting your intelligence by doing this, they're being realistic. In TNA, the Angle Slam is just a move Kurt Angle does alot. In WWE, it's this groundbreaking move that somehow is more powerful than the rest of his moveset. If that's the case, why not just try it at the beginning? TNA are thinking the exact same way I am. That's why Kurt Angle busts it out at the beginning of a match sometimes.

I know if I wanted to keep a title so bad, I wouldn't stay down for 3 seconds. Unless he knocked me out or killed me, I'm kicking out and fighting back.

·
Registered
7,658 Posts
This is exactly what I am talking about. TNA are not insulting your intelligence by doing this, they're being realistic. In TNA, the Angle Slam is just a move Kurt Angle does alot. In WWE, it's this groundbreaking move that somehow is more powerful than the rest of his moveset. If that's the case, why not just try it at the beginning? TNA are thinking the exact same way I am. That's why Kurt Angle busts it out at the beginning of a match sometimes.

I know if I wanted to keep a title so bad, I wouldn't stay down for 3 seconds. Unless he knocked me out or killed me, I'm kicking out and fighting back.
Wrestlers have finishers, a move that's guaranteed to keep an opponent down for 3 seconds or more.

Every wrestler needs one.

NO! I meant that Punk and Bryan will likely be more fondly remembered than John Cena.

Bret Hart, Ric Flair, Curt Hennig, Shawn Michaels are more fondly remembered than Hulk Hogan. Those were the guys that inspired many to get into the business, how many people has Hulk Hogan inspired to get into the business? That superhero act is good for business and children at the time, but it's not what adults want to see. Believe it or not, the adult fanbase takes up alot. It's not just children who watch and buy tickets. TNA aims for both children and adults, TNA shows that you don't need these sort of characters and I don't know about anybody else, but I'm enjoying it this way. TNA take risks, they don't give me the constant feel-good storyline or insult my intelligence. Apart from maybe Abyss.. but even then, wrestling always has a monster character. What's new?
- How do you know who'll be more fondly remembered and how many people were inspired to become wrestlers cause of those guys ?

- If adults did't want to see that superhero act, how the hell did Hogan become so big in the 80's ?
More importantly why do adult still want to see him ?

- What's good for business >>> everything else

- Just cause you enjoy what TNA has to offer does'nt mean that their way of doing things is successful.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts