Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been a fan of New Japan on and off from about the age of 8 years old, My first exposure to anything related to that side of the wrestling world stems from The Great Muta and Jushin Thunder Liger coming to wcw. Now I want to fast forward to the past couple of years 2011-12 to present day. As New Japan have continued to grow the demand for their talent to go elsewhere rises and in addition to that the demand for new stars.

In all these examples I am about to give one thing I have noticed is how the promotion is able to adapt and adjust, reconfigure a plan and then continue to move forward. When Okada first won the IWGP title it was not as well received. Did people view him as being on the same level as the New Japan elite? So when they took the title off of him instead of giving up on him like other promotions did they found a way to rework the kinks , by the time the G1 ended which he won and he went onto Wrestle Kingdom in 2013 the perception had changed quite a bit (in fact at that time it was even reported that WWE had made an offer)

They lost Prince Devitt to wwe , but they replaced him with AJ styles which led to a very fruitful run for both parties. We fast forward to the day the news broke and AJ, doc, Anderson and Nakamura were announced to be signing with WWE. That to me is a huge blow, but they adapted and used this to their advantage to elevate Kenny Omega, The Young Bucks and sign Cody Rhodes. At the same time we also Naito regain some serious momentum at that time.

Now even Fast forward to the time Kenny Omega, Cody Rhodes, The Young bucks, Adam Page all left for AEW. Once again a huge blow to the promotion yet...New Japan are still able to adapt and evolve. We have seen Will Ospreay step up to the point where many could see him compete outside of the Junior Heavyweight division and is connecting more with his promos. Jay White who to me works so effectively as a heel , he has been able to step it up. Vance Archer as a monster big man and of course Mainstays Like Okada who to me is now a wrestling legend on par with Tanahashi continue to help keep the company moving forward.

So a rather long winded post but one thing I admire is how the promotion are able to adapt despite whatever big changes come their way. Anyone else notice that?

·
Registered
469 Posts
You can see it in the booking too, he looks ahead. He's already got SANADA, EVIL, Osprey, and a couple others ready to jump up into an upper slot if need be and he does that for every level of the card. He builds them up and when someone leaves he fills their spot with someone he built up, pulls someone from excursion, or elevates a young lion that is no on excursion to take the place of a lower card guy who was elevated. All in all, he thinks ahead and is always ready.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Gedo is a genius, long term storylines, building new wrestlers returning from the young lion program into top guys, capacity to adapt with changing roster when guys are leaving etc...

There's none like him in other promotions, and i believe his work plays a very strong role in NJPW being the best pro wrestling company in the world, that and having a lot of the very best pro wrestlers available.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Gedo is a genius. If you know new japans history from 1990 or so, what hes doing has a long history. Riki choshu was the booker then, and he used the g-1 to establish the idea that anyone in the g-1 is a singles threat. He had the young three musketeers in mutoh, chono and hashimoto. Throwing in the foreigners in vader, norton and halme, he also had the veteran spoilers in himself, fujinami, yoshiaki fujiwara, osama kido and shiro koshinaka.

I look at current stars, and while new japan is so much deeper, it follows the pattern choshu started, but gedo has perfected.

He is simply a legendary booker, and im enjoying his time here. We hear how bookers burn out, hopefully it doesnt happen to gedo for a long while

·
Registered
6,148 Posts
Yes, it is one of the main strengths of how well Gedo books NJPW. You will see guys like Taichi and ZSJ and others beating top talent in smaller feuds or at the NJ Cup or G1. It makes them threats. And if someone does leave they are ready to step up.

NJPW also has their top 4 guys that they build around as well. A few years back you would say that Tanahashi, Nakamura, Okada and AJ Styles were the top guys. Then when Nak and Styles left it moved to Okada, Omega, Tana and Naito. Now it’s Naito, Okada, Ibushi and White, maybe Tana as well… but there is just so much talent in Suzuki, Ospreay, Kenta, Sanada, ZSJ, Jericho, Moxley, Ishii, Goto, that the roster is stacked – IF Omega and Nakamura returned for instance… where would you fit them??? The main event is already stacked as it is… Gedo had Nakamura pinned in the Intercontinental space because he couldn’t fit him in the Heavyweight space as it was.

Gedo and NJPW are just masters of building up their talent to become titans.

·
Registered
6,148 Posts
He also books the very long game as well, as to not burn out the exposure of talent. For example, the WWE will book guys as their champions almost straight away. Which does them no good and has the audience turn on them. Then they get over exposed and after a while WWE moves them on for new NXT talent when they really didn’t unlock the wrestler’s true potential.

Look at someone like Ishii for example. The guy will probably never be IWGP Heavyweight Champion. But he is one of the most over guys on the roster (especially in North America), he consistently year in and year out has the best matches in the G1. And Gedo keeps putting him in that gate-keeper role to the title. He works well there and is a great part of the NJPW roster. If he was in WWE, he would probably be seen as a failure and moved on for the next guy coming through from NXT. We’ve seen it so many times.

NJPW though believe in their roster and commit to them. The wrestlers also know that not everyone gets to be champion and therefore that’s how you keep your company and your titles prestigious.

NJPW still has guys like Nagata and Nakanishi and the Tencozy boys etc. on the roster, because they respect them and they respect the company.

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
They’re able to do that because their long term plans involve multiple people instead of just the top guy. It means everyone needs to be built up accordingly in order to look credible so that they can be slotted in for a particular push at a moment’s notice if needed.

It’s not just genius, its common sense.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts