Wrestling Forum banner

21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
Cena had already passed Batista by 2007 but Dave was still clearly the number 2 guy in the company and I think was the better choice for that match. Cena would have either lost like Batista did or would have gotten nuclear go away heat if he ended the streak then and there.

·
@delecast
4,407 Posts
I was at WM 23 and Cena/HBK is probably the best match I've watched live. That whole event was pretty fantastic.

they still could had Taker gone over and do the rematch at Summerslam where Cena wins.that way taker keeps the streak and Cena goes over at a later date could of worked.
Cena was not going to lose at WM 23. Plain and simple. The biggest knock against Cena in that era was that he wasn't a very good in ring worker. Having him go hold for hold with HBK and going over did a ton for Cena.

·
Lacey Evans Stole My Heart <3
294 Posts
Batista was the bigger star at the time than Cena. Maybe if it would have happened a year later in 08’ then it would have made more sense.

·
Registered
6,119 Posts
They had plenty of chances to do it, but they chose not to.

Instead of Undertaker vs Triple HGH 3, they could have gone with Undertaker vs Cena. Instead of Undertaker vs Wyatt and Triple HGH vs Sting, they could have gone with Undertaker vs Sting.

·
Registered
9,825 Posts
Cena needed to win in WWE's first big stadium show since the end of the attitude era and Taker couldn't lose.

HBK/Cena and Taker/Batista were the right options.

Taker/Cena could and should have happened between WM26-30.

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
WM23 was just to early in hindsight, but at the time, I popped huge a a kid when Taker appeared at end of Raw and the prospect of Cena vs Taker.

WM29, 30 or 31 are the 3 missed years. At those we got:
Cena vs Rock II & Taker vs Punk
Cena vs Wyatts & Taker vs Lesnar
Cena vs Rusev & Taker vs Wyatt

Cena vs Rock 2 didn't need the title whilst Taker vs Punk was great build, but how awesome could it of been if it was Streak vs Streak for WWE title. Taker could of been assaulted next night and vacated to title but Streak vs Streak was such missed opportunity.

WM30 would of been great. Especially on the recent interviews with Taker himself saying Reigns at WM33 should of been streak ending match. Cena vs Taker, wyatt Family vs Shield and Lesnar vs ???, perhaps Batista dream match and then still do Bryan vs Triple H, with winner facing Orton. With Cena vs Taker and Lesnar vs Batista as 2 dream matches then Wyatts vs shield as final encounter would of been huge so leaving Orton vs Bryan as mystery would of still worked well.

WM31, I actually enjoyed both builds of Wyatt vs Taker and Cena vs Rusev. But with streak still going, maybe they would of gone Sting vs Taker and then Wyatt could of faced corporate Triple H. If not, Wyatt wanting the streak could of still worked.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
fuck no. Batista and Taker had great matches that year. as much as people like to shit on Batista I still enjoyed his matches much more than Cenas.

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
WM23 was just to early in hindsight, but at the time, I popped huge a a kid when Taker appeared at end of Raw and the prospect of Cena vs Taker.

WM29, 30 or 31 are the 3 missed years. At those we got:
Cena vs Rock II & Taker vs Punk
Cena vs Wyatts & Taker vs Lesnar
Cena vs Rusev & Taker vs Wyatt

Cena vs Rock 2 didn't need the title whilst Taker vs Punk was great build, but how awesome could it of been if it was Streak vs Streak for WWE title. Taker could of been assaulted next night and vacated to title but Streak vs Streak was such missed opportunity.

WM30 would of been great. Especially on the recent interviews with Taker himself saying Reigns at WM33 should of been streak ending match. Cena vs Taker, wyatt Family vs Shield and Lesnar vs ???, perhaps Batista dream match and then still do Bryan vs Triple H, with winner facing Orton. With Cena vs Taker and Lesnar vs Batista as 2 dream matches then Wyatts vs shield as final encounter would of been huge so leaving Orton vs Bryan as mystery would of still worked well.

WM31, I actually enjoyed both builds of Wyatt vs Taker and Cena vs Rusev. But with streak still going, maybe they would of gone Sting vs Taker and then Wyatt could of faced corporate Triple H. If not, Wyatt wanting the streak could of still worked.
WM29, WM30 and WM31 are wrong times.

WM29 - I didn't like the bland Cena/Rock rematch - but if Rock was coming back, he was working with Cena. This is 100% a given and the right decision. Rock >> Taker for star power at that point, and working with Cena (also huge star power) is the right move. I think that match should have been a 3 way (Cena vs Rock vs Punk) to make it more unpredictable though - but either way Cena is occupied with Rock, you can't have him to fight Taker.

WM30. Taker vs Lesnar. No one but Lesnar could have benefitted from the streak win as much. You give it to a full time guy, and within a couple of months that full time guy is back to 50/50 booking and the effect is gone. Lesnar was the right move, and the right time - so at WM30 Taker is the one whose busy.

By WM31 - maybe, but by then the streak is done anyways. Cena/Rusev and Wyatt/Taker were probably better matchups too.

And all of the Taker/HBK and Taker/HHH matches were fantastic (on paper Taker/HHH seemed unnecessary maybe, but both matchups ended up fantastic). So WM25, 26, 27 and 28 are taken.

WM24 Taker fought Edge, a fantastic match. Could you have done Cena instead? Sure - maybe, but Edge/Taker is a classic.
WM23 - same idea. Batista/Taker was a classic - and Batista was arguably as big as Cena at the time.

I don't know If Taker was still able to "go" at that point - but i think WM32 would have been a good moment. I know Cena didn't wrestle here - but maybe he does and participates in the build for a big Taker match. WM32 was a huge thing in a huge stadium (lackluster card though). This was after streak - but still 2 huge legends, trying to cement their legacy. Could have had a great build to it.

I know the Taker/Shane match was pretty spectacular - but it certainly could have been replaced with Cena/Taker to no big loss. Bring Shane back anyways, and put him in a different story/match instead of Taker

·
Registered
12,181 Posts
Absolutely not for reasons already outlined.

Following year Cena outsold rock and Hogan in calendar year in merch so they needed to protect their cash cow and streak ending in 2007 too early.

Not to mention Taker vs Cena is completely overshadowed by Trump vs Vince anyway.

How long does it take them, really? He had already ran through JBL, Jericho, Angle, Edge, Triple H clean in 05 and 06.
All of those outside HHH were midcarders though. Edge was midcard until working Cena.

Rock, Austin, Brock, Hogan, Goldberg, undertaker, Shawn he hadn't beat any of those by early 2007 so wouldn't have been fully established as tippy top guy in everyone's eyes. Even HHH match the whole build was that Cena wasn't worthy and HHH was far above him.

·
Registered
475 Posts

Following year Cena outsold rock and Hogan in calendar year in merch so they needed to protect their cash cow and streak ending in 2007 too early.

Not to mention Taker vs Cena is completely overshadowed by Trump vs Vince anyway.

All of those outside HHH were midcarders though. Edge was midcard until working Cena.

Rock, Austin, Brock, Hogan, Goldberg, undertaker, Shawn he hadn't beat any of those by early 2007 so wouldn't have been fully established as tippy top guy in everyone's eyes. Even HHH match the whole build was that Cena wasn't worthy and HHH was far above him.
Rock, Hogan, Goldberg weren't even around though and Angle wasn't a mid card. Everyone knew he was the king in that era - he was beating absolutely everyone.

·
Registered
4,527 Posts
If Batista was the bigger star than Cena. Why did Cena close the show at WM23? Cena surpassed Batista the second he was drafted to RAW.

·
Registered
12,181 Posts
Rock, Hogan, Goldberg weren't even around though and Angle wasn't a mid card. Everyone knew he was the king in that era - he was beating absolutely everyone.
Angle was upper mid at best. Styles spot in that era. Often goofing around doing comedy stuff too. Taz beat Angle clean so it wasn't some huge achievement.

Hence my point. Cena had beaten no big names outside HHH by early 2007

·
The Fastest of the Fastest of Jamaican Sprinters
4,418 Posts
How long does it take them, really? He had already ran through JBL, Jericho, Angle, Edge, Triple H clean in 05 and 06.
Years. If you're investing in a singular babyface FOTC in the Hogan mold, WWE puts YEARS into that process.

·
Registered
2,973 Posts
WM29, WM30 and WM31 are wrong times.

WM29 - I didn't like the bland Cena/Rock rematch - but if Rock was coming back, he was working with Cena. This is 100% a given and the right decision. Rock >> Taker for star power at that point, and working with Cena (also huge star power) is the right move. I think that match should have been a 3 way (Cena vs Rock vs Punk) to make it more unpredictable though - but either way Cena is occupied with Rock, you can't have him to fight Taker.

WM30. Taker vs Lesnar. No one but Lesnar could have benefitted from the streak win as much. You give it to a full time guy, and within a couple of months that full time guy is back to 50/50 booking and the effect is gone. Lesnar was the right move, and the right time - so at WM30 Taker is the one whose busy.

By WM31 - maybe, but by then the streak is done anyways. Cena/Rusev and Wyatt/Taker were probably better matchups too.

And all of the Taker/HBK and Taker/HHH matches were fantastic (on paper Taker/HHH seemed unnecessary maybe, but both matchups ended up fantastic). So WM25, 26, 27 and 28 are taken.

WM24 Taker fought Edge, a fantastic match. Could you have done Cena instead? Sure - maybe, but Edge/Taker is a classic.
WM23 - same idea. Batista/Taker was a classic - and Batista was arguably as big as Cena at the time.

I don't know If Taker was still able to "go" at that point - but i think WM32 would have been a good moment. I know Cena didn't wrestle here - but maybe he does and participates in the build for a big Taker match. WM32 was a huge thing in a huge stadium (lackluster card though). This was after streak - but still 2 huge legends, trying to cement their legacy. Could have had a great build to it.

I know the Taker/Shane match was pretty spectacular - but it certainly could have been replaced with Cena/Taker to no big loss. Bring Shane back anyways, and put him in a different story/match instead of Taker
I'm thinking if we find a way to rebook WMs to have Cena/Taker take place somewhere down the line we start with WM29 and can alter the cards with these:

WM29 - Rock/Cena/Punk for the WWE Title and Taker/Lesnar OR Rock/Cena for WWE Title, Taker/Lesnar, HHH/Punk
WM30 - Orton/HHH/Bryan for the WWE Title, Cena/Taker, Lesnar/Batista, Shield/Wyatts
WM31 - Lesnar/Reigns for the WWE Title, Taker/Sting, Rusev/Cena, HHH/Wyatt or HHH/Bryan and Wyatt/Ambrose maybe?
WM32 - Taker/Reigns for the WWE Title (Taker's retirement match), HHH/Shane HIAC for control of RAW/WWE with Vince and Stephanie more involved
WM33 - Reigns/Cena or Reigns/Strowman while the rest of the card remains largely intact, Miz can face Ambrose for the IC Title if you go with Reigns/Cena and Nikki inserted in the SD Women's Title match, perhaps a triple threat with Alexa and Becky

When would have been the best time to do Cena/Taker at WM in your opinion? Or is this a match that was right not to happen?

·
Registered
475 Posts
Angle was upper mid at best. Styles spot in that era. Often goofing around doing comedy stuff too. Taz beat Angle clean so it wasn't some huge achievement.

Hence my point. Cena had beaten no big names outside HHH by early 2007
Taz beat a Kurt Angle who hadn't been given a push yet - well after that, Angle had beaten Rock, Austin, HHH, Kane, Triple H, Hogan, Lesnar, Big Show, HBK etc so that's a strange choice. Cena beat the guy (twice I believe) who beat all of those guys.

By Mania 23 Cena had beaten everyone he had ever faced the previous 3 years.

·
Registered
3,633 Posts
WrestleMania 23 gave us two classic main events in Batista vs. Undertaker and Cena vs. Michaels, so I wouldn’t have changed that. No Way Out 2007 even gave us that huge tag team match between all four superstars. If anything, Undertaker vs. Cena at WrestleMania 30 would’ve been more logical and beneficial. The Streak wouldn’t have ended to a part-timer who didn’t need the rub, and Wyatt wouldn’t have been buried six feet under. Cena was more Super Cena back then, so he would’ve definitely have been the biggest threat to The Phenom’s WrestleMania streak from a kayfabe standpoint. The match would’ve had fans on the edge of their seats after every finisher and near-fall since it could’ve gone either way. Also, their match at WrestleMania 30 would’ve had a much better build-up than their match at WrestleMania 34 since Undertaker wouldn’t have missed out on every Raw leading up to it, nor show up to The Grandest Stage of Them All at the last minute.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
I'm thinking if we find a way to rebook WMs to have Cena/Taker take place somewhere down the line we start with WM29 and can alter the cards with these:

WM29 - Rock/Cena/Punk for the WWE Title and Taker/Lesnar OR Rock/Cena for WWE Title, Taker/Lesnar, HHH/Punk
WM30 - Orton/HHH/Bryan for the WWE Title, Cena/Taker, Lesnar/Batista, Shield/Wyatts
WM31 - Lesnar/Reigns for the WWE Title, Taker/Sting, Rusev/Cena, HHH/Wyatt or HHH/Bryan and Wyatt/Ambrose maybe?
WM32 - Taker/Reigns for the WWE Title (Taker's retirement match), HHH/Shane HIAC for control of RAW/WWE with Vince and Stephanie more involved
WM33 - Reigns/Cena or Reigns/Strowman while the rest of the card remains largely intact, Miz can face Ambrose for the IC Title if you go with Reigns/Cena and Nikki inserted in the SD Women's Title match, perhaps a triple threat with Alexa and Becky

When would have been the best time to do Cena/Taker at WM in your opinion? Or is this a match that was right not to happen?
I would've replaced Triple H with Punk. They could've had Punk beat Orton for the title at Elimination Chamber, have Punk drop the title to Bryan at WM, they celebrate (mirroring WM20 with Benoit and Eddie), and start planting seeds for a potential Punk heel turn and feud with Bryan towards SummerSlam. Had they came up to Punk with that idea, I highly doubt Punk would've ever walked out from WWE.

·
Registered
2,973 Posts
I would've replaced Triple H with Punk. They could've had Punk beat Orton for the title at Elimination Chamber, have Punk drop the title to Bryan at WM, they celebrate (mirroring WM20 with Benoit and Eddie), and start planting seeds for a potential Punk heel turn and feud with Bryan towards SummerSlam. Had they came up to Punk with that idea, I highly doubt Punk would've ever walked out from WWE.
Yeah I agree, in fact if you have Punk stay there are so many ways you could alter the card. You could even have Punk/Bryan as the opener with the winner inserted into the Orton/HHH WWE Title match, and have a cocky Stephanie come out at the end and announce they both qualify leading to a fatal 4 way, then the rest as you described.

21 - 40 of 42 Posts