Wrestling Forum banner

Which of these men is the best choice to win the Rumble?

1 - 20 of 109 Posts

·
The One Who Knocks
5,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
WWE is so close.

For those that have been watching for years and years, it should be obvious to anyone that WWE is finally on the verge of a brighter tomorrow. Even for someone as cynical and pessimistic about the WWE product as I am, I'll sit here and cheerfully declare 2010 as a huge step forward for the company after several absolutely dismal years.

WWE created more new stars - with actual futures - in 2010 alone than it had since 2005 introduced us to the horribly failed "next generation" that produced the likes of Carlito, Shelton Benjamin, Mr. Kennedy, Bobby Lashley, and so forth. On top of that, a number of talented veterans that have been mired in the midcard for years began to take serious steps toward being major players.

Now, that being said, WWE is not there yet. To get there, they need to finally stop walking the fence and finally devote the company's present to its future. That means stop making old men like Undertaker, Kane, Mysterio, and so on as the major focuses and go the distance in promoting its young stars as the focal point of its programs.

The Royal Rumble is the place to do that. For as right as WWE got most of 2010, Edge winning the Rumble was a terrible decision. Not since Batista won in '05 has the Rumble legitimately elevated someone to championship-level status. There are several viable candidates to fill that role this year. So if WWE wants to cash in on its future, it needs one of those guys to win.

No Cenas. No Ortons. And for God's sake, no HHHs.

For the sake of the company's immediate and long-term future, WWE needs one of these five guys to win the Rumble:

Kofi Kingston - He's been getting WrestleMania main event level pops for over a year. On top of that, his very real story is something WWE would be absolutely foolish not to cash in on. Not since HBK has there been a "boyhood dream" story like Kofi. And for a company that loves to flaunt itself for being worldly, the marketing possibilities of an African-born world champion are endless for WWE. He has every skill necessary right now to be champion.

John Morrison - People seem to either love Morrison or hate him, and passions run strong on both sides of the argument. Regardless of where you stand in that debate, one would simply be naive to deny that the man is absolutely over enough to be champion. My view on Morrison right now would be this: from bell to bell, he is quite possibly the best entertainer in the company. Outside the bells, however, he's dreadful. A balance needs to be struck for him to attain long term success. But if WWE wants a fresh face to push right now, he has the crowd backing to gain support and the ring skill to deliver big time in a main event situation.

Alberto Del Rio - The way ADR's going, he might end up as champion before WrestleMania even comes around. However, if WrestleMania passes without Del Rio as champion, I think WWE's decision makers need to have their heads examined. Unlike many here, I was hesitant to jump on the ADR bandwagon after day one because I wanted to see if the guy could both sustain his immediate success and make noticeable improvement. He has done both. The man is a star right now. He and Wade Barrett will carry the respective Raw/SmackDown heel torches into the future, and the future's now.

Sheamus - If WWE wants to go all out on this guy, then they might as well go all fucking out. Sheamus winning KOTR was completely stupid; the guy's already been champion twice, he had nothing to gain by winning the tournament compared to anyone else in that tournament. But, that being said, he won it anyway. So if WWE really wants to push him to the stratosphere, then why not put the cherry on top with a Rumble win? Have him win KOTR and the Rumble within a two month span, then go to WrestleMania and actually win the title, and there's no more debate about whether Sheamus is a major player.

CM Punk - For a guy who's been champion three times, Punk sure doesn't feel like a main eventer. Maybe it's because his first run was aborted without serving a purpose. Maybe it's because his heel run was inexplicably buried to put the belt back on Taker. Heel or face, it doesn't matter; WWE has something very special in Punk, and they need to strike while the iron is glowing red hot. Even with his past success, I don't believe the audience views Punk as a legitimate threat to main event level talent. Give him a Rumble win, and that's rectified (assuming he's even healthy by then; I really don't know).

KEEP IN MIND: These are the five guys I believe WWE needs to have win the Rumble; they are not necessarily the guys I'd want to win.

Barrett? I don't think he needs it; he's already a legitimate contender on his own. Bryan? Call back in a year. Ziggler? Give him a real feud. Swagger? Give him a face turn. McIntyre? Give him a damn personality.

So there you have it. What do you guys think? Do you agree? Think I'm retarded? Rather see a young guy who isn't listed win it? Or do you think another guy in his 40's should get pushed? Let's hear it.

·
Lucy Snorebush
2,073 Posts
In my own personal opinion, the Rumble should only be won by established superstars already on the Main Event / Title level. So in this case I chose CM Punk. Money in the Bank should be used to establish lower/midcard stars as main eventers. That's just my own opinion, even though I found Lesnars rise to stardom very good TV.

Reactions: tombo2326

·
Banned
1,703 Posts
I think it's about time they gave the ball to Kofi. If he runs with it great, if he dosen't really do much with it he can always lose at WM and go back to the upper mid card. If you think about who will be the next 3 main event guys to retire you'd think Undertaker, Edge and Rey. All faces. WWE need a new main event face.

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
It would make for an awesome twist if CM Punk where to be commentating at the Royal Rumble, only to have his music play at number 30, have him stand up looking smug as he removes his headset, revealing that he is the final surprise entrant.

Then he gets in the ring, puts some bitches to sleep and wins the thing.

VICTORY!!

·
Premium Member
5,452 Posts
Christian or Morrison would be best. I know everyone says Miz vs Morrison for the WWE Championship at Wrestlemania isn't a huge draw, which is true. However, just because you have it for the title doesn't mean it has to main event. With a match such as Cena vs Undertaker or Cena vs Barrett in the main event slot, that will sell the PPV alone. Last year, we had Edge vs Jericho for the title which wasn't a huge draw (no disrespect to either man) because the Undertaker vs Michaels match was the headliner. The same thing with Wrestlemania 18. If we get one or two huge matches, the WWE can afford to have Miz vs Morrison for the WWE Championship. Actually, it doesn't have to be Miz vs Morrison specifically, just as long as someone new gets elevated to the main event.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
The fact that two of these guys are former World Champions and still aren't considered true main eventers is pretty sad.

I'll always use Steve Austin's Royal Rumble win in 1998 at the perfect execution of a push. He had spent a few years in the midcard, gotten a title shot or two, and gradually molded into one of the most over guys on the roster. By 1998 the fans were begging for him to become champion. Austin winning the Rumble that year pulled the trigger on his final main event push, and his title win at Wrestlemania 14 was the grand finale. And look where that took them.

Nowadays WWE gives away shitty meaningless first reigns with fluke wins and Money In The Banks on joke PPV's and forgettable Raws and Smackdowns. The big Rumble + Wrestlemania wins that should be used to bring a new young star to the main event have be wasted on already established and over-the-hill main eventers.

·
Registered
7,658 Posts
Babyface

Kofi Kingston

Heel

Alberto Del Rio
CM Punk

·
Recognize
21,378 Posts
Christian winning the Rumble is a waste. Why put all that spotlight and attention on him at this stage in the game when you could give it to somebody who is actually going to be the future of your company for years to come?

·
Premium Member
6,817 Posts
CM Punk won't be healthy enough to be in it. I'd give anything for him to win. I'll be there to see it.

But traditionally speaking, I think it'll be Cena. But I went with Sheamus because he's most likely on the list.

·
Follower of Lockeism
13,482 Posts
I think the only one listed who has a chance, and a pretty damn slim chance at that is Morrison. That is also ONLY for the reason that they have a perfect title feud set up for him if he does. Miz/Morrison makes sense storyline wise. However he won't win and neither will any of the five listed. Either Cena or Orton will win, bank on it.

Sheamus won't win, Del Rio won't win, Punk might not even be back, and Kofi won't win since the only possible feud they could have would be Del Rio/Kofi which doesn't sound too great, also would have to up and comers in a main event which doesn't exactly happen much.

·
P.O.P., hold it down
22,552 Posts
In my own personal opinion, the Rumble should only be won by established superstars already on the Main Event / Title level. So in this case I chose CM Punk. Money in the Bank should be used to establish lower/midcard stars as main eventers. That's just my own opinion, even though I found Lesnars rise to stardom very good TV.
Exactly.

As much as I want Kofi to win the Rumble it won't happen, WWE has created MITB for a reason.

The Royal Rumble will now be used for the already established stars such as the Cenas, Ortons, HHH's, Taker's, Edge's, Jericho's, Barrett's.

While the Money in the Bank will be used to turn the mid-carders into main eventers.

·
Banned
18,555 Posts
I've come down to the theory that Rumble wins are for veterans while Money In The Bank victories are for rookies. Fair trade.

- Vic

1 - 20 of 109 Posts