Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Ex Con With A Heart Of Gold
10,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There are lots of "What Ifs" that are discussed.

What if Steve Austin stayed in ECW or went to WCW with the Stone Cold character? What if the Invasion was booked differently? What if nWo ended earlier and was replaced by a different angle, could the WCW still exist? What if the funding came through and WCW still existed because it wasn't bought off?

Well, I think one of the more intriguing ones is this...

What if the so-called "Monday Night War" was the "Friday Night War?" Do you think a live Impact program on Friday would have been competitive against Smackdown in 2010 and 2011?

I really believe that it could have gotten WWE to take notice of TNA and that TNA could have taken a lot of viewers partially or entirely from Smackdown.

Impact stood no chance against RAW. RAW was too dominant, too established. It was live and had every top storyline and much of the top talent. Smackdown, on the other hand, was a totally different kettle of fish. Impact would have been on a superior television network with a live program advertising people like Hogan, Flair, Bischoff, Sting, Mr Anderson, RVD, Jeff Hardy and their own top talents. Furthermore, their Knockouts Division was leaps and bounds superior to what Smackdown was offering, not to mention the tremendous difference in talent and utilization of cruiserweight and tag team talent with the X Division and a vibrant, world-class tag division.

I sincerely think that TNA could have "won" a Friday Night Wars if they had gone to live or semi-live (one week live, one week taped) programming.

·
Premium Member
4,195 Posts
It's not the 90's and once pro wrestling and its fans understand that the business will move forward at great lengths.

Wrestlings fan do not watch wrestling on Monday and Friday nights. WWE fans watch WWE on Monday and Friday nights. As I mentioned in another thread, this is not meant as a negative, but as a mentioning of the branding aspect that comes so heavily into play. If I sit on my couch on Friday and turn to Smackdown, me being a wrestling fan of all products, I will bounce back and forth between channels if ROH or TNA is on. However the majority fans are not like that and don't give a shit what else is on. What TNA did on Mondays in 2010 was divide their audience for no reason and it proved that the WWE brand is more popular then TNA as the only people flipping back and forth between channels...were TNA fans.

There should be no more 'wars' or going-head-to-head to give the fans a 'choice'. TNA since day one has not grasped onto the fact that their mere existence IS giving fans a choice.

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
The war was what made it fun.

WCW will forever be the reason wrestling is no longer mainstream, taking WCW away was horrible for the business.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
FFS! WCW did not end because of the nWo taking over its screens or losing to the WWE. It lost because Time warner did not see it in their plans. Its worse rating was better than what Smackdown gets today, if Bischoff was there in time to buy it out it would still be around today and Wrestling might actually be good. It was still very much a saveable company.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
FFS! WCW did not end because of the nWo taking over its screens or losing to the WWE. It lost because Time warner did not see it in their plans. Its worse rating was better than what Smackdown gets today, if Bischoff was there in time to buy it out it would still be around today and Wrestling might actually be good. It was still very much a saveable company.
Yup. People think Bischoff, Hogan, Nash, contracts, and debt is what killed the company. They couldn't be more wrong.

·
Registered
2,813 Posts
It's not the 90's and once pro wrestling and its fans understand that the business will move forward at great lengths.

Wrestlings fan do not watch wrestling on Monday and Friday nights. WWE fans watch WWE on Monday and Friday nights. As I mentioned in another thread, this is not meant as a negative, but as a mentioning of the branding aspect that comes so heavily into play. If I sit on my couch on Friday and turn to Smackdown, me being a wrestling fan of all products, I will bounce back and forth between channels if ROH or TNA is on. However the majority fans are not like that and don't give a shit what else is on. What TNA did on Mondays in 2010 was divide their audience for no reason and it proved that the WWE brand is more popular then TNA as the only people flipping back and forth between channels...were TNA fans.

There should be no more 'wars' or going-head-to-head to give the fans a 'choice'. TNA since day one has not grasped onto the fact that their mere existence IS giving fans a choice.

Disagree, If you had a company that has enough financial backing to make it visually competitive w/ WWE, a head to head war would still work. In fact, that is the only way another company will ever be able to compete w/ WWE ratings- wise.

The problem is, TNA is just too small-time, even compared to pre-nitro WCW. Even if they had an unlimited budget, they can't hold a show at a 10000 seater and even create the illusion that they are playing to packed houses.

·
Banned
367 Posts
If Stone Cold went to WCW. WWE would have been out of business by now.

I've always wondered this though. Didn't TNA manage a great 1.4 rating on Jan 4th when WWE hyped up the return of Bret Hart? Doesn't that show you people gave TNA a chance but were not interested after that? I don't know.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
If Stone Cold went to WCW. WWE would have been out of business by now.

I've always wondered this though. Didn't TNA manage a great 1.4 rating on Jan 4th when WWE hyped up the return of Bret Hart? Doesn't that show you people gave TNA a chance but were not interested after that? I don't know.
Yep, they got a similar rating after Hardy turned heel. Their problem has been keeping viewers not getting viewers as much.

·
Banned
4,096 Posts
Impact stood no chance against RAW. RAW was too dominant, too established. It was live and had every top storyline and much of the top talent. Smackdown, on the other hand, was a totally different kettle of fish. Impact would have been on a superior television network with a live program advertising people like Hogan, Flair, Bischoff, Sting, Mr Anderson, RVD, Jeff Hardy and their own top talents. Furthermore, their Knockouts Division was leaps and bounds superior to what Smackdown was offering, not to mention the tremendous difference in talent and utilization of cruiserweight and tag team talent with the X Division and a vibrant, world-class tag division.

I sincerely think that TNA could have "won" a Friday Night Wars if they had gone to live or semi-live (one week live, one week taped) programming.
one guy on here said that if aj really cared about tna then he would let his belt be contested between rvd and hardy, i agree, tna were trying out for a new audiance that night

on topic though i would have preferred that tna mercy kill the other wwe shows head to head first just to get the ball rolling

1 - 10 of 10 Posts