Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Epstein didn't kill himself
7,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Suddenly, there was a car where no car should be: plowing through the sidewalk crowds that had swelled in Times Square on a spectacular sun-filled day.

And it was moving fast.

By the time it rammed into a bollard, an 18-year-old woman was dead, 22 other people were injured and the heart of Manhattan had been turned into a scene of panic and carnage. The car, a maroon Honda Accord, had traveled along the sidewalk for more than three blocks.

“They were screaming, yelling, running,” said Sharief White, a vendor who was selling T-shirts and hats at Seventh Avenue and 44th Street and saw the Honda speed into the crowd. “It was running over everybody that was in front of the car.”

Unfolding in one of the city’s most crowded and high-profile areas, the episode instantly raised the specter of terrorism. An attempted car-bomb attack in Times Square in 2010 remains a potent memory for many, and recent terrorist attacks overseas have shown the damage that vehicles can do when used as weapons.

A security guard at a building at 44th Street and Seventh Avenue said he had watched through the lobby windows as the Honda sped past and drove over a woman.

“She just hit the floor and he went over her,” said the guard, who did not give his name.

Other witnesses described their horror at seeing terrified bystanders scramble for safety.

“It was going at a fast rate of speed and to me it looked like it was trying to hit as many people as possible,” said Annie Donahey, 24, who had just left work. “People were trying to jump out of the way.”

The car raced on, crossing 45th Street before smashing into barriers in front of the Marriott Marquis Hotel. The driver tried to escape, but he was quickly surrounded.

“He started trying to run away,” said Asa Lowe, 42, who had been walking on Seventh Avenue. “Traffic cops grabbed him. Regular citizens grabbed him. We became the city we need to be today.”

READ MORE HERE - https://www.nytimes.com/2017/05/18/nyregion/times-square-crash.html?_r=0

Horrible. :(

·
Madness is the emergency exit
2,826 Posts
The car raced on, crossing 45th Street before smashing into barriers in front of the Marriott Marquis Hotel. The driver tried to escape, but he was quickly surrounded.
Fucking Jon Jones at it again...

·
ROWDY RODDY PIPER
10,816 Posts
So tired of people being angry, fucking douchebags. If you want to drive under the influence, drive up a cliff and kill yourself.

·
Premium Member
1,066 Posts
I was hoping it would somehow be an accident. That's terrible. He could have committed suicide without hurting anyone.

·
From parts unknown
23,274 Posts
Turns out he was clean of any drugs or alcohol.

The motivation is still unknown.

There was a report yesterday somewhere some of his friends claimed that he had been posting crazy stuff on FB (content deleted). There's almost nothing here to go by.

His defense is eerily similar to the Alaskan ISIS recruit who shot up the Florida airport. He also claims to have heard voices. I really hope this "mental illness" claim isn't a new Muslim terrorist defense because that will allow them to carry out these attacks without ever having to own up.

More should become clear over time.

·
From parts unknown
23,274 Posts
^He was positive for drugs

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-39971309

I feel it wouldn't. The appeal of Islamic terrorism is getting to do things for Allah/ISIS. If you disavow your motives, the 'terror' of terrorism falls to the wayside, and that's one of their biggest weapons
It was just marijuana. Which is something that stays in your system for a while and definitely doesn't cause something like this.

I agree with you on the second part. However, there comes a point in terrorism activities where they become frequent enough to not be claimed. We reached that point in Pakistan almost a decade ago where now certain kinds of acts of terrorism are just assumed since it fits the same pattern.

This fits the pattern. I'm not conclusively saying it is a terrorist attack, but initially there are too many similarities.

·
Ted the Moth
12,866 Posts
Apparently it might have been spice, like the synthetic stuff? Those are a little more bathsalt-esque in terms of fucking you up long term.

There are obvious similarities to terrorist methods, but the photos, eyewitness reports, and character reports I have read do lead me to side with the idea of a mental break of some sort. Obviously investigations will conclude in their own time, but if it does indeed end up being the case then it's very depressing. For the most part, modern society has done nothing but utterly fail those with mental health issues, and it's sad.

·
From parts unknown
23,274 Posts
For the most part, modern society has done nothing but utterly fail those with mental health issues, and it's sad.
Short of baker acting them all at the first indications of any kind of mental illness, there's nothing society can do.

You can't help what doesn't know it needs help and you can't help those who don't seek help.

It's just something we have to live with and try to reduce. The military needs some serious reform and that includes everything from its recruitment policies to discharge.

·
The Man
25,723 Posts
https://www.facebook.com/alyssa.elsman

^ This is the 18 year old who died. Beautiful young lady, man.
Saw the photo and read the story in the paper just a few hours ago. Shit like this is just really sad, you go traveling and just plan to have a good time with your sister then this happens. Last fucking thing any of the victims would guess would happen that day.

Fuck the driver. Haven't read anything else besides the paper but he was hoping to get shot or something? Why can't people like him just jump off a bridge instead of doing all this shit to get killed.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts