Wrestling Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
2,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
No, Clothesline and Lariat are not the same thing. While a Clothesline is, as the name suggests, extension of one's arm towards a running opponent or on a standing opponent while you run to knock down the opponent which has been used in wrestling like forever; the Lariat, executed by Stan Hansen is more like throwing lasso where you use some power to strike and put down an opponent without using your fist for it.

It is often confused with clothesline both by fans and wrestlers alike, JBL being the prime example for sometimes he uses Lariat and at others just a clothesline calling both the same name.

The Lariat is a pretty recent move compared to the clothesline but requires more power as in a knock out punch. If done with the enough amount of power, it produces the same result, knockout which made Stan Hansen really famous.

A small video showing the difference

Now, how many of you knew the difference between the two and who has the best Lariat in business besides Stan Hansen.

· Ceramic Wizard Bong
5,925 Posts
Yeah Hansen is the master when it comes to this, JBL is great too.
Doesn't get mentioned much about him but Dynamite Kid throws some absolutely brutally stiff lariats when he was stiffing guys, see Foleys first ever match as a WWF jobber, he almost takes his head off.
I vaguely recall Mike Awesome using it too.

I always think of the lariat as more a running clothesline where you hook the arm around the neck for maximum impact.

· Registered
2,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah Hansen is the master when it comes to this, JBL is great too.
Doesn't get mentioned much about him but Dynamite Kid throws some absolutely brutally stiff lariats when he was stiffing guys, see Foleys first ever match as a WWF jobber, he almost takes his head off.
I vaguely recall Mike Awesome using it too.

I always think of the lariat as more a running clothesline where you hook the arm around the neck for maximum impact.

The running Lariat looked vicious which comes towards the end of the match. lariat is basically when your action is more of a punch without using your fist aiming to hurt your opponent rather than merely taking them down; Say like the double leg take down vs spear.

· Registered
1,254 Posts
Suprised no one mentioned Miz's corner Lariat yet. Thought its pretty good.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.