Wrestling Forum banner

OMG, that Rock promo was CORNY

12147 Views 143 Replies 103 Participants Last post by  Loopee
Not just for the material. Parts of it was funny. You wanna know what killed this promo in my eyes?

The fact that there's multi-camera angles. It was 100% unneeded. It doesn't look good AT ALL. Am I to believe that they sent 2 cameras for this one promo? I mean, if you're gonna do it backtage, fair enough, but it just made the whole presentation of the segment corny.

On top of that, Cena's music randomly playing in The Rock's house. We're not entering Undertaker territory right now. It's just looks and sounds like a poor sitcom now. Sound effects playing out of nowhere made it less funny. With a guy like The Rock, you don't need stuff like that. The promo wasn't THAT great to begin with (and I'm a big Rock fan..it's just hard to like the last 2 promos), but the sound effects (Barney, and the other one) made it just feel really...unreal and unfunny.

Lastly, the fucking terrible random ass ending music under his message to The Miz. I mean, come on. We don't need this shit in the slightest. It didn't help that he went from jokey jokey to 100% serious without mentioning Miz once during that promo until the end.

I don't know who wrote this, but give them another job. It really feels like The Rock is TRYING to play the character The Rock instead of being the man. I mean, I hope he does stay and finds out how to do it again, but as of now he's kinda just playing Dwayne Johnson with what people think The Rock are. Kinda feels like he's forgot how to play the part believably.
1 - 20 of 144 Posts

· Banned
10,054 Posts
yeah the video editing was terrible, the music at the end was dumb, and the frog noises and stuff were lame. but other than that i loved the promo, it was funny.

addressing your last paragraph, he was more acting like Hollywood Rock, which is great.

· The Great One
910 Posts
Just because they use "ass" and you see blood every now and then doesn't mean this show isn't geared towards children. Besides, this wasn't mean to be a live broadcast; if I recall correctly, that video was what supposedly happened over the weekend when "John Cena" visited the Rock in his house.

It really feels like The Rock is TRYING to play the character The Rock instead of being the man. I mean, I hope he does stay and finds out how to do it again, but as of now he's kinda just playing Dwayne Johnson with what people think The Rock are. Kinda feels like he's forgot how to play the part believably.
His return promo didn't feel out of touch.

· Registered
4,669 Posts
On top of that, Cena's music randomly playing in The Rock's house. We're not entering Undertaker territory right now. It's just looks and sounds like a poor sitcom now. Sound effects playing out of nowhere made it less funny. With a guy like The Rock, you don't need stuff like that. The promo wasn't THAT great to begin with (and I'm a big Rock fan..it's just hard to like the last 2 promos), but the sound effects (Barney, and the other one) made it just feel really...unreal and unfunny.
I'm really trying to avoid just f-palming this entire thread, but I have to ask - what gave you the impression that this was supposed to be "real" or serious in any way whatsoever? It was Hollywood Rock addressing Cena like a child and completely belittling him. It was tongue-in-cheek.

· Registered
1,677 Posts
To me if you want to go kayfabe
You can say Rock got his windows movie maker on
I always thought in real moments those camera angles and music was stupid
But this wasn't a "real" moment it was a skit/segment
It was funny

· Registered
5,515 Posts
Just because it's a rock promo and he says "ass" everyone seems to think it was a great promo :rolleyes:

It's exactly the point I have been making for months, back in the attitude era guys like rock just used swear words as shock value, the promos were not actually that good and they would just use a swear word here and there to get people excited.

Rock has no idea how to cut a real wrestling promo without swearing. In this day and age the norm is to not swear and you have to think more about what you have to say. Vince has basically allowed rock to swear because he does not know any other way to do a promo.

· Registered
19,085 Posts
The whole promo was basically the rock mocking Cena and showing everyone his thoughts on how a promo with cena would look like in real life.

Though I bet anyone anything that if Cena did a promo like this with the rock, people would be making fun of cena so much, its only cause it's the rock doing the promo that make some people on here like it. I'd have liked it either way though.

· Banned
7,881 Posts
Just because it's a rock promo and he says "ass" everyone seems to think it was a great promo :rolleyes:

It's exactly the point I have been making for months, back in the attitude era guys like rock just used swear words as shock value, the promos were not actually that good and they would just use a swear word here and there to get people excited.

Rock has no idea how to cut a real wrestling promo without swearing. In this day and age the norm is to not swear and you have to think more about what you have to say. Vince has basically allowed rock to swear because he does not know any other way to do a promo.
Just shush, little boy.

Rock = GREATEST MIC WORKER EVER.

· Registered
2,047 Posts

Ok bboy stop embarrassing yourself, you better be 12 because if you're a grown man doing this then you need to be pistol whipped:no:

· Registered
483 Posts
I thought it was a little corny the first time I saw it as well. The sound effects and music were unnecessary.

But after watching it a couple more times, it was actually pretty well made skit. Perhaps too well made. Most people are just used to the "rawness" of backstage interviews, if that makes sense.

· Registered
7,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Just because they use "ass" and you see blood every now and then doesn't mean this show isn't geared towards children. Besides, this wasn't mean to be a live broadcast; if I recall correctly, that video was what supposedly happened over the weekend when "John Cena" visited the Rock in his house.

His return promo didn't feel out of touch.
Yeah, but there's still no excuse for how corny it was. You can aim things towards children, but there's a way of doing that without making the grown ups feeling stupid. I mean, my 9 year old brother probably wouldn't find the noises and all that amusing. It's just sad.

And nah, his return promo was fine. It's just the 2 other after it.

I'm really trying to avoid just f-palming this entire thread, but I have to ask - what gave you the impression that this was supposed to be "real" or serious in any way whatsoever? It was Hollywood Rock addressing Cena like a child and completely belittling him. It was tongue-in-cheek.
I know the Cena part wasn't supposed to be serious. I was 100% aware Cena wasn't going to be going to his house and we'd get a comedy segment. It just wasn't that funny outside of the no talent line. Then we got the far too serious Rock at the end of the promo and that came across as Dwayne Johnson..not The Rock being the cocky character he is.

I'm just seeing this from an unbiased point of view. I'm not saying people are wrong for liking it. I just found a majority of it corny as hell. I don't expect him to drop ass every second. I'm not an idiot. It was just failed comedy for the most part.

And I can say I really enjoyed The Rock's promos when he was the Hollywood heel going up against Hogan. That was funny. He rebounded off Hogan in that. He was playing an arrogant heel. Here..I just don't know.

· Registered
188 Posts
Rock was always corny, like i said he was the olden days John Cena. All the kids liked The Rock (Like Cena), and all the adults liked Stone Cold (sortof like Randy Orton).

· Banned
10,054 Posts

rock said "ass" like ONCE in his promo last night. you're a dumbass.

besides, you lost all credibility (the little that you had) when the rock returned.

· Registered
304 Posts

Lol, even Chris Jericho stated on his twitter that "Rock is the BEST promo man ever". And I think Jericho knows a little more about cutting promos than you do.

1 - 20 of 144 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.