Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How is the WWE able to use the old WWF logo while they promote old school RAW? I thought they couldn't use the "F" part anymore.

·
Banned
7,852 Posts
Well I don't really know to be honest, never understood it myself, seeing as I wasn't in the courtroom when it was decided... But probably had something to do with it being used at the time... I really dunno. But the old pre scratch logo is perfectly fine to use, so are the words World Wrestling Federation, but can not say WWF or use the WWF Scratch logo, hence the whole "get the F out" thing.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
The old New Generation W.W.F. logo came before any pending litigation from the World Wildlife Fund. The World Wildlife Fund sued the W.W.F. during the attitude era when they were declared as an international entity. The old New Generation was retired prior to the injunction and before the W.W.E. was declared as an international entity so they're still allowed to use it as long as they do so while using it to represent the historical context of the organization and not to represent the future of the company.

·
Registered
700 Posts
It's pretty simple. The old school logo is just WF...not WWF. WWF=World Wildlife Fund. WF=nothing.

·
Banned
4,120 Posts
It's pretty simple. The old school logo is just WF...not WWF. WWF=World Wildlife Fund. WF=nothing.
fpalm

You're an idiot.

HockeyGoalieEh was correct.

·
Registered
6,728 Posts
Hockey's right. You can't be sued for using a logo that was discontinued long before the case arrived. The WWE has rights to the old WWF that it LEGALLY held during those years.

·
Banned
4,921 Posts
I'm loving the return of the old logo even though it's only for one night. I'm really looking forward to next week.

·
Banned
5 Posts
Q: I’ve watched a number of WWE DVD sets over the past few years and I’ve noticed that WWE only blurs certain WWF logos. I know that Vince had to change the name because of the World Wildlife Fund, but it seems like WWE lets the block-style WWF logo appear unblurred. With them having an “Old School” Raw show, along with selling these new retro WWF t-shirts, is there something from the settlement that allows them to use only certain logos? Why doesn’t Vince just pay the royalties/fines in order to keep the old logos intact? – Jim

A: It doesn’t work that way. It would be far too costly for them to do so or they would have done something already. As for the lawsuit, WWE was NOT required to change the name of their company. They opted to do so because while they could continue to call themselves the World Wrestling Federation in this country, they would not have been allowed to do so overseas, which would have created far too much confusion in the marketplace. It’s simply bad branding to call yourself one thing in the U.S. and something different everywhere else. Whatever the reason, the old block-letter WWF logo was never banned from being used, this was only in reference to the scratch logo of the Attitude Era. You’ll notice, they are also allowed to speak the words World Wrestling Federation, but are not allowed to speak the initials WWF (unless your name is Bret Hart). I’d say blame the pandas, but in reality, WWE did breach whatever agreement they had in place with the wildlife folks, so you reap what you sow.

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
It's kinda cool that they are using the WWF logo instead of just a modified one. Always liked that one.

·
Banned
9,205 Posts
three hour shows are usually shit, even the viewers choice edition of raw was shit until the very end with the kickass nexus invasion. wwe might prove me wrong this time though. i am looking forward to it regardless.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts