Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve never been so pissed off in my life reading old forums. This is proof that smarks existed just as much back then and might have been even worse. They were bitching about the “This is your life” segment with Rock and Foley and how it’s not wrestling and blah blah blah. Of course the segment ended up being one of the highest rated ever, and this is just absolute proof that smarks can’t hold a candle to casuals when it comes to ratings.

(WWF) Who the fuck is booking this shit!?!?!??!
Since "Rock: This is Your Life" got a 8.4....
The longest and weirdest segment EVER...

·
Registered
4,101 Posts
Vince McMahon himself hated the segment at the time and was furious with them. When the ratings came through the next day, he no sold it to Mick Foley. T

Russo really did bring something unique to the table that’s missing from the current product: Emotion, passion, and character building.

People criticise this segment for not directly building towards a wrestling match, but what it did do was build up the characters of The Rock and Mankind. It made people care, it made the casual audience invest in their journey, it led to massive casual crowd reactions that made these characters feel more important.

But nah... let’s memorise a script where the babyface says “I wanna fight right here, right now!” and then the heel says “I fight on my time” and then the babyface says “Well I’m a better wrestler than you, bitch” and then someone else comes out and they have a 15-minute tag team match where the guy who loses by distraction finish will get his win back at the PPV.

·
Registered
3,986 Posts
People criticise this segment for not directly building towards a wrestling match, but what it did do was build up the characters of The Rock and Mankind. It made people care, it made the casual audience invest in their journey, it led to massive casual crowd reactions that made these characters feel more important.

It was supposed to be a build up for Rock/heel Foley.

·
Registered
4,101 Posts
I believe that is why the rating was so high for that segment. People were anticipating the heel turn. It is why there was backlash online for it. Clearly remember this.
I was young at the time, so my memories are coloured by rewatching it years later... but wouldn’t it have mostly just been the hardcore fans who expected it? I find it hard to believe that 10 million TV viewers - many of whom were casuals - tuned in expecting to see a heel turn?

Either way, it wasn’t another predictable, formulaic segment about wanting to beat each other up in a wrestling “fight”, the concept of prioritising character investment has become a lost art in wrestling.

·
Registered
3,986 Posts
I believe that is why the rating was so high for that segment. People were anticipating the heel turn. It is why there was backlash online for it. Clearly remember this.
I don't think the rating was high just because people were anticipating a heel turn. Probably 70% of the viewers than night were casual wrestling fans, and I'm pretty sure a heel turn was the last thing on their mind. The segment felt so different. If you're flipping through the channels, and all of a sudden, you see a wrestling ring with a sea of balloons and confetti, and two of the most over characters in the business at that time doing what they do best, and not even talk about "wrestling", you'd be glued to your TV. Say what you wanna say about Russo but the guy is a genius.

Plus, Foley turned on Rock just a week after that.

I think it's just the IWC being the IWC.

·
Registered
104 Posts
The difference was that back then Vince didn’t cater to them. Majority of WWF fans back in 99 were casuals and a small percentage were marks. It was only after they bought WCW is where I noticed the live audience turn more smarky, no longer would they pop for every basic move.

·
Registered
589 Posts
I loved it and if I’m not mistaken it’s the most watched (live) non-match segment of all time.. so I’m assuming others loved it as well

Rock ‘n Sock to me is the saving grace for 1999’s post-Wrestlemania WWF amidst a cluster of weird storylines. It was the perfect match-up for a tag team, had a buddy-cop-movie comedy style to it.

·
Registered
3,986 Posts
I loved it and if I’m not mistaken it’s the most watched (live) non-match segment of all time.. so I’m assuming others loved it as well

Rock ‘n Sock to me is the saving grace for 1999’s post-Wrestlemania WWF amidst a cluster of weird storylines. It was the perfect match-up for a tag team, had a buddy-cop-movie comedy style to it.
Would've loved to see babyface Rock/heel Cactus program.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
The difference was that back then Vince didn’t cater to them. Majority of WWF fans back in 99 were casuals and a small percentage were marks. It was only after they bought WCW is where I noticed the live audience turn more smarky, no longer would they pop for every basic move.
Fans are smarter now. They know what good wrestling is. Silly catchphrases and a good physique won't cut it any longer.

That's why Seth Rollins is the perfect pro wrestler for the this era. He can do it all. Rock and his silly catchphrases wouldn't get over today on a full time basis.

·
Banned
31 Posts
They were probably upset that that time didn't go to a 20 minute Taka match
Yep they also complained about Rock and Austin always being champion and suggesting Dean Malenko.

See back then they were considered crazies and not taken serious and what they said was laughed at and immediately forgotten.

However when it was leaked in 2001 that WWF considered a roster split, smarks pushed for it and complained for it, WWF listened to them and did it in March 2002 after they had canceled it multiple times(November 2001, January 2002) and have been listening to them ever since. That split cost them half the audience.

Difference is WWF/WWE didn’t listen to that niche, now the vocal minority holds dictatorship on product over silent majority.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Last night's PPV was atrocious.......
Moolah and Mae Young are getting TV time.....
Rock N' Sock segment was HORRIBLE and LONG.
Mae Young just lost her clothes.
<immediately turns the channel>
Hey its Psichosis vs. Kidman..... thank god
Sure WCW sucks, but it at least has some decent cruiserweight matches!
One of these guys is Meltzer, and no one is convincing me otherwise :D

·
Registered
152 Posts
Dude reading these old forums are so fascinating to me. I just got done reading one from 1999 where people are talking about how great and underrated Lenny lane is and how he stole Chris jerichos lover boy cassette tape lmao.

·
Registered
6,819 Posts
I was young at the time, so my memories are coloured by rewatching it years later... but wouldn’t it have mostly just been the hardcore fans who expected it? I find it hard to believe that 10 million TV viewers - many of whom were casuals - tuned in expecting to see a heel turn?

Either way, it wasn’t another predictable, formulaic segment about wanting to beat each other up in a wrestling “fight”, the concept of prioritising character investment has become a lost art in wrestling.
10 million probably weren't expecting a heel turn, but were expecting some kind of outcome and stayed to see what it was. It was a good tease better than the outcome.

I don't think the rating was high just because people were anticipating a heel turn. Probably 70% of the viewers than night were casual wrestling fans, and I'm pretty sure a heel turn was the last thing on their mind. The segment felt so different. If you're flipping through the channels, and all of a sudden, you see a wrestling ring with a sea of balloons and confetti, and two of the most over characters in the business at that time doing what they do best, and not even talk about "wrestling", you'd be glued to your TV. Say what you wanna say about Russo but the guy is a genius.

Plus, Foley turned on Rock just a week after that.

I think it's just the IWC being the IWC.
The segment had the "It was Me Austin! It was me all along" bait and switch to it. Fans paid attention because it looked to build to something big.

Whatever the case, the fans stuck around for the segment because of Rock and Mankind were golden as a team at the time. I think WWE not having a segment get this high a number for a segment says it all there.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts