It's better then Funk vs. Lawler - empty arena match '81

It's better then Brody & Hansen vs. Funks - december 8, 1984

It's better then CM Punk vs. Raven - Death Before Dishonor 2003

It's better then Danielson vs. McGuinness - Unified 2006

Meltz was right. :meltzer

·
Registered
3,896 Posts
Only match that compares is the original.

Maybe Flair had some amazing matches back in the day that I haven't seen, but from what I know, Omega vs Okada is the best. And I aint afraid to say it. Fuck the haters.

60 minutes of wall to wall action, drama, intrigue, amazing athleticism and an electric crowd. Nothing could be better. Even the legendary Shawn Michaels and Bret Hart faltered when they had to go 60 minutes, while Omega and Okada excelled.

GOAT MATCH.

·
★ Liverpool FC ★
2,460 Posts
I will rewatch all of these just to compare them. Also, it's objectively a fantastic
and outstanding match but I find it so hard to pick one. Out of curiousity, has there
ever been a poll on here for the best match ever?

Reactions: Even Flow

·
Registered
28,047 Posts
I thought it was a great match. Greatest of all time? No. It had it's flaws. The ending dragged. The Spamming of the Dropkick and V-Trigger. Omega's work on the knee amounting to really nothing in the end.

Again it's far from flawless but still a great match. But to me, it's not better than their first match. And back in January when I saw their first match, even that wasn't the best match I had seen in 2 months. Because that match was DIY vs. The Revial 2-3 Falls in Toronto. And got into that more than I did either Okada/Omega match.

·
Blood for the Blood God! Skulls for the Skull Thro
9,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I say this as not much of a fan of either Kenny or Okada. It just is.

Maybe Flair had some amazing matches back in the day that I haven't seen, but from what I know, Omega vs Okada is the best. And I aint afraid to say it. Fuck the haters.

60 minutes of wall to wall action, drama, intrigue, amazing athleticism and an electric crowd. Nothing could be better. Even the legendary Shawn Michaels and Bret Hart faltered when they had to go 60 minutes, while Omega and Okada excelled.

GOAT MATCH.
GAB '89 is Flair's best match. He was a lot like Orton; a great wrestler, but if you've seen his single best match, you've seen them all.

HBK vs. Hart was a good match that just dragged for way too long. That's the main reason for it's fame, because it dragged for long.

·
JANUARY 5TH
4,693 Posts

GOAT MATCH.
lol. calm down fanboy.

·
Wheel Man for SCOTT STEINER
5,600 Posts
It's a top match. It's probably the most flawed top match ever but still a top, top match.

What I'd put above it? Flair/Funk GAB89, Flair/Steamboat WW89, Magnum/Blanchard Starrcade 85, Windham/Flair BotB85, Okada/Shibata, Ishii/Okada, Shibata/Ishii G1 23. Maybe a few more. On the lesser end of my five star classics.

And of course it highlights the beauty of wrestling. As much as some may want to disagree because whynotdisagree, it highlights the ranges of opinions and tastes. You'll have people offputted by certain spams in the match, you'll have the people who are WWE purist or Puro purist etc all up in arms about a trendsetting match. You'll have people who like it, hate it, love it, despite it or think it's the best. And all that is good (except one thing I've mentioned).

What fun would it be if everyone agreed? I mean, I have a short fuse for tools trying to troll (@IBRACADABRA HEY HOW ARE YOU??) but yeah, dissenting opinions being JUSTIFIED AND BACKED UP is what makes pro-wrestling FUN. Along with the actual pro-wrestling of course. As long as you JUSTIFY AND BACK-UP your opinions properly, who really gives a fucking shit? We are on a forum guys, LET US CARE FOR YOUR OPINION.

Cap spam because I felt I was coming across camp.

But yeah, celebrate DIVERSE OPINIONS and have a DIVERSE OPINION yourself. Because what fun would it be if everyone agreed with each other? As long as you aren't trying to be a troll. Trolls in this context would be people you don't ordinarily see around discussion coming in and trying to get a reaction, or kill discussion.

·
Registered
850 Posts
I think I liked their first match a bit more. The Drop kick spam in their 2nd match was kind of getting annoying and the pacing felt kind of off. It felt like they were trying too hard to make it better than their first match. Meltzer has his reasoning for giving it a 6.25 rating, I just personally don't see it.

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
I like WWE way better than NJPW, but I agree. I actually said this right after the match was over. I've never been this hooked watching a wrestling match.

·
Registered
6,115 Posts
too long, not being able to win a match in 60 minutes buries both men as it shows they are not good enough to finish someone after 60ms worth of moves

·
JANUARY 5TH
4,693 Posts
too long, not being able to win a match in 60 minutes buries both men as it shows they are not good enough to finish someone after 60ms worth of moves
So you could talk about anything to bash this match, yet you came up with this? lol. Why would draw buries both men? I know you are boxing guy, so tell me this, did Pacman and JMM got buried when they drew in their first fight? Or Benn and Eubank from their second fight? This is not pro wrestling I know, but there are many classic examples that helped both men in wrestling too. Its not they are not good enough to finish 'someone', its being the absolute best wrestlers in the business and couldn't top each other on a certain night.

·
Wheel Man for SCOTT STEINER
5,600 Posts
So you could talk about anything to bash this match, yet you came up with this? lol. Why would draw buries both men? I know you are boxing guy, so tell me this, did Pacman and JMM got buried when they drew in their first fight? Or Benn and Eubank from their second fight? This is not pro wrestling I know, but there are many classic examples that helped both men in wrestling too. Its not they are not good enough to finish 'someone', its being the absolute best wrestlers in the business and couldn't top each other on a certain night.
The post is shocking because just like you said in your post, you can counter the argument with real sports examples.

Look at how many teams went to draws in football/soccer finals and matches. Heck, he's a Liverpool fan. By using his own argument, Liverpool are not the 2005 Champions League winners. It's a draw. It's the classic example of someone just coming in to refute the discussion, while making it sound like they haven't even seen the match.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts