Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know I asked for the worst main event.

Also, what's the best PPV you ever remember

Mine is another Hell in a Cell

Undertaker V Shawn Michaels

Unreal match, seriously, had everything,

What's your view?

·
Asuka
96,572 Posts
If you're defining main event by the absolute last match on the card, the best main event in history is Chris Benoit vs HBK vs HHH for the World Heavyweight Championship at WrestleMania XX. If you're defining main event by what the WWE considers a "main event" match, even if it doesn't go on last, it's Kurt Angle vs Chris Benoit at the 2003 Royal Rumble, which remains solidly the best wrestling match ever.

Not surprisingly, Benoit appears in both of them. Bret is better my ass.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you're defining main event by the absolute last match on the card, the best main event in history is Chris Benoit vs HBK vs HHH for the World Heavyweight Championship at WrestleMania XX. If you're defining main event by what the WWE considers a "main event" match, even if it doesn't go on last, it's Kurt Angle vs Chris Benoit at the 2003 Royal Rumble, which remains solidly the best wrestling match ever.

Benoit V HHH V HBK, I'll have that. Another unreal match. I watched it tonight whilst listening to some hardcore punk. Still works.

I'm still a Benoit fan. Fuck anyone who dosen't like it.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Undertaker-Lesnar Hell in a Cell "No Mercy 2002"
Epic Heavyweight title match that just had a big match feel and was stiff and real from start to finish.

·
Registered
15,835 Posts
Hogan/Warrior at Wrestlemania VI easily.

Though Punk/Cena at MitB 2011 was something special.

·
Registered
22,514 Posts

I agree. Bret is way too slow in comparison. Benoit is along with Angle simply the greatest technical wrestler in WWE history.

Best main events:
The Rock vs Stone Cold - WM17
Triple H vs Shawn Michaels vs Chris Benoit - WM20
Chris Benoit vs Randy Orton - SummerSlam 2004
Edge vs John Cena - Unforgiven 2006
Triple H vs Randy Orton - No Mercy 2007
John Cena vs CM Punk - Money in the Bank 2011

Just some that come to mind fast.

·
Premium Member
8,587 Posts
If you're defining main event by the absolute last match on the card, the best main event in history is Chris Benoit vs HBK vs HHH for the World Heavyweight Championship at WrestleMania XX.
I'd have to agree. From a simple match quality standpoint it was one of the very best, but the storyline leading into the match, the crowd, and the emotion afterwards when Benoit finally wins the World Title after a career long journey, and then for him to be greeted and hugged by his real-life friend of years Eddie Guerrero just made it perfect for me.

After watching the moment again where he wins the title (34:00 in this video) makes me miss JR's commentary so much. He sold that moment perfectly.

·
Raevolution is a Mystery
23,791 Posts
Benoit/HBK/HHH - WM XX
HBK/Cena - WM XXIII
Punk/Cena - MITB '11
Edge/Cena - Backlash '09
Edge/Cena/Orton/HBK - Backlash '07
HBK/Jericho - NM '08
HBK/Taker - Bad Blood '97

·
Registered
12,426 Posts
I'm laughing at all the people saying that Cena/Punk was anywhere close to one of the best ever. It had an awesome crowd and a good angle, but that was it. The match was pretty sloppy in the ring.

For me, its Austin/Rock from WM 17. It seems like kind of a routine answer considering that several people have mentioned it already, but seriously, that match had everything that I as a wrestling fan wanted in a wrestling match. It had the incredible build up before hand, the emotion, the intensity, the passion, the psychology, the drama, the storytelling. It was like if Fyodor Dostoyevsky and Charles Dickens got together to write a story. It was two masters of their craft engaging to create a timeless epic. The crowd was into it, the excitement was edge of your seat, you had literally NO idea who was going to win when it came down to the wire, and most of all, I, for one, became emotionally invested. I CARED about who won. I sat there and watched them hit each other with their finishers and kick out at 2 and 9/10 seconds. Then Vince came out and Austin showed the start of his heel turn, and JR sold the situation absolutely PERFECTLY! That, to me, is why its the best main event ever.

Its also an interesting reason as to why today's roster is so bad for the most part. The guys today can't generate a fraction of any of this, and that's why the IWC bitches and complains about the bad crowds and how silent they are. I can't blame the crowds, I blame the product. They are supposed to make the fans care, and they're doing a pretty awful job. They can't provide a good story, generate intensity, emotion or passion and they totally miss the ring psychology. That's why you get main events like Over the Limit 2011 with Miz and Riley decimating Cena, just for him to come back in 30 seconds and win. What the fuck? What story, what intensity, what emotion and passion, what psychology? It was pure crap. You know who can generate all of these things today? Taker and Triple H, and surprise, they fought each other at WM 17 the same night as Austin/Rock. Face it, these guys are a different, more elite breed, and products of a different time period. Good wrestlers and performers are literally a dying breed. They don't make em like they used to.

Honourable mentions-Benoit/Michaels/Hunter at WM 20, HBK and Taker at Bad Blood 97, HBK and Taker and WM 26, Angle and Lesnar from WM 19 (especially considering how badly injured Angle was).

·
Raevolution is a Mystery
23,791 Posts
While slightly sloppy (that's gotten blown out of control. I hardly think a slight botch takes you out of a match so easily) Punk/Cena was still an epic match. Told an amazing story, great crowd, great intensity, good workrate, awesome feel to it.

I stand by it being my 2nd favorite main event of all time.

·
Registered
12,426 Posts
Also, one of my personal favourite main events was Rock vs Mankind at Royal Rumble 1999. As brawls go, that was definitely one of the best I've ever seen. Foley took some punishment that night, and they really played up how he'd never quit before and tried to maximize the punishment he could take, which was a story I really liked. After all the chairshots he took, I was in awe that he could actually stand (especially since his head had been literally split open, like a zipper). Awesome match.

·
Registered
12,426 Posts
While slightly sloppy (that's gotten blown out of control. I hardly think a slight botch takes you out of a match so easily) Punk/Cena was still an epic match. Told an amazing story, great crowd, great intensity, good workrate, awesome feel to it.

I stand by it being my 2nd favorite main event of all time.
Enh, I think it was more than that. Really the crowd and reaction is what everyone remembers, and the angle that Punk was gonna walk out, plus his epic worked shoot from a few weeks prior. Cena being in there in general took away a lot from the match, I found. I just find him unwatchable for the most part, personal opinion. The intensity, feeling and whatnot all came from the crowd, it was electric. But in ring, it wasn't anything special. To be the best main event ever, its more than just crowd reaction.

·
Registered
6,187 Posts
Tough to call between HHH/Michaels/Benoit from Wrestlemania XX and Punk/Cena from MITB 2011. Both easily my two favourite main event matches of all time. I can watch either one of them a hundred times and not skip even a second.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts