Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey in the favourite three NXT thread I notice a lot of Ohno love. Where is this coming from? I only watch NXT nothing else as I do not have time, but when I see Ohno I see a guy who’s look need to be vastly improved, and though he can move around Ok in the ring, I can’t think of any matches that blew me away. His character work is believable but not fantastic. His voice throws me off because when he talks it is not itimidating, it sounds a little feminine. (I know he can’t control it)

Can somebody put me in the right direction and tell me why so much Ohno love??

·
#1 Somamaniac
13,620 Posts
He is one of the the best wrestlers in the past twenty years. Incredibly versatile, great as a heel and a face. Countless great matches in both single and tag matches. NXT's booking doesn't reflect that at all since they only book him to get their toys over but anyone who has watched him outside of WWE will say the same.

People totally misjudge how good he is based of his size which is ludicrous.

·
F*** This indy flippy shit
2,227 Posts
Not me. I think he sucks. One of the worst builds and looks I’ve ever seen. I assume his gimmick is supposed to be a boxer/knockout guy but he looks about as credible as Butterbean.

·
Roy "Gambit" Mustang
10,374 Posts
He is great in the ring but I have seen his matches outside of nxt. In nxt he is used as a jobber to the stars. His look is awful even as someone who does not care about look but he is talented in the ring

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not me. I think he sucks. One of the worst builds and looks I’ve ever seen. I assume his gimmick is supposed to be a boxer/knockout guy but he looks about as credible as Butterbean.
Butter bean had a better look than Ohno! I mean maybe someone could point out a fued outside of NXT I could look at and get an idea as to how talented the guy is?? I understand he is ok in the ring, but what NXT match has he had that is fantastic??

·
Registered
34 Posts
Butterbean had 58 knockouts in his boxing career so that's not much of an argument.

·
Banned
2,461 Posts
Butter bean had a better look than Ohno! I mean maybe someone could point out a fued outside of NXT I could look at and get an idea as to how talented the guy is?? I understand he is ok in the ring, but what NXT match has he had that is fantastic??
He hasnt really had a chance to have a fantastic match. He doesn't get main events or many important matches like the stars of NXT do.

·
2,227 Posts
Butterbean had 58 knockouts in his boxing career so that's not much of an argument.
Yeah in some shitty tough man league against a bunch of no talent bums. The only real boxer he ever fought was Larry Holmes, who was 53 years old and he kicked Butterbean’s ass.

Butterbean is about as credible in boxing as the Harlem Globetrotters are to basketball

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
For a great NXT match he had him vs Gargano is definitely a great one probably the best he has had in NXT (I've heard he's had a ton better outside WWE though but I don't watch much outside WWE admittedly so couldn't name any myself)

In terms of Ohno himself yeah as everyone else is saying he's an incredibly talented wrestler however he really does have a shitty look that can't really be denied I just don't care about that side of wrestling personally so I am a big fan of the guy myself however I think he's playing the role in NXT he's best suited for. He's a guy WWE would never push so him basically being a player coach is just right for the guy in terms of WWE.

·
Registered
3,240 Posts
He had a decent run when he came back to NXT but he fell way off when they brought in a new crop of guys. Also he may have been injured because he went a couple months without a match on NXT tv if I recall. He needs to get some new gear and a decent feud where he can go over. Dude has skills but they need to give him something to work with. I actually think he might work in a tag team but not sure who he should be with. Maybe Keith Lee?

·
Premium Member
8,587 Posts
Didn't Ohno almost have Roman's spot in the Shield?
I've heard that before too, but Ohno couldn't stay motivated to keep in shape and was phoning it in during matches around that time and it caused officials to sour on him.

I've never thought he was that great and if he was: ''one of the the best wrestlers in the past twenty years'' as another poster put it, he would have made it to the main roster already - especially since they've let in so many indy talent over the past few years.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well he seems nicely positioned to be the guy that loses to all the new stars they sign, which seems like a recipe of failure. Yet Cein Almas played that role for a large amount of his time in NXT

·
2,227 Posts
If you go way back in the archives during his 1st NXT run I remember him having a decent fued with Richie Steamboat and a very good blood fued with William Regal.

But this is like very early NXT/FCW days and Ohno was in much better physical condition. Nothing like he is currently

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
From what I've heard he was an incredible indy performer. I've yet to see anything remotely interesting from him in NXT.

·
Is a Snit Head
22,155 Posts
I'm a fan of the guy. He's someone that I saw wrestle all the time before he got signed so I've always been rooting for him. He was amazing pre-WWE. Like he was the guy you could rely on almost every single time to have a great match. And him and Cesaro are one of the best tag teams I've ever seen.

I've seen him have a few decent matches in NXT. They have him work with guys they plan on pushing and he makes them look good.

He's going to end up as a trainer down in NXT full time. I don't think him getting called is ever something that we can expect. Maybe just a one off appearance some day for being with them for so long but that's about the extent of where I see him going.

Didn't Ohno almost have Roman's spot in the Shield?
I've heard/read that. I want to say CM Punk was the source of the information because he said he wanted the Shield to be working for him and he asked for all indy guys and he has a long history with Chris Hero from before he was signed. But WWE wanted their guy in the faction.

I've heard that before too, but Ohno couldn't stay motivated to keep in shape and was phoning it in during matches around that time and it caused officials to sour on him.

I've never thought he was that great and if he was: ''one of the the best wrestlers in the past twenty years'' as another poster put it, he would have made it to the main roster already - especially since they've let in so many indy talent over the past few years.
The getting out of shape thing was after he was let go from NXT.

That's from his last match before he got let go.

I'm sure there were other reasons but it wasn't because of his look.

·
WF's AKB Fan
5,757 Posts
I like him. Prefered him looking like he did during his first NXT run. But I can easily buy him as a big bully with his current look.

Dude is also great to listen to when talking about wrestling in general and other subjects of entertainment culture.

From his shoot interview after being released it was because, since he loves wrestling and has taught a lot of wrestlers in his time, people often came to him for advice on stuff to do. Ohno, loving teaching others was more than happy giving advice and teaching those asking him. The people in charge (trainers and such) felt that Ohno was doing too much teaching, he was hired as an NXT recruit and not a teacher after all, so he shouldn't be doing the teaching, he should focus on being taught by others. They released him, but the door was left open, and well, now he's back.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts