• The Rock - 2000

Votes: 30 29.7%
  • Steve Austin - 1998

Votes: 71 70.3%
181 - 200 of 254 Posts

·
Likes wrestling....
10,249 Posts
What's the need of limiting people making threads and lumping it all into one sticky thread that no one will enter , just let people have their creativity if they want to make specific threads relating to different aspects or ideas

not every thing has to be micro managed
forums are struggling enough we don't need this weird obsessive moderating for the sake of it
so the Rock vs Austin argument needs multiple threads?

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
What's the need of limiting people making threads and lumping it all into one sticky thread that no one will enter , just let people have their creativity if they want to make specific threads relating to different aspects or ideas

not every thing has to be micro managed
forums are struggling enough we don't need this weird obsessive moderating for the sake of it
Half the threads on Austin and Rock are from a banned user that keeps making new accounts. What creativity? It's stupidity.

·
Registered
291 Posts
so the Rock vs Austin argument needs multiple threads?
If they relate to different aspects of their careers/timelines .. yes

Mods literally lock old threads that are being bumped, despite the fact part of this forum is based on suggesting related threads old or new for you to hop into, if they need to be locked god forbid somebody posts in an old thread, why are they recommended to us ?

I don't get this OCD need for everything to be micromanaged

·
Likes wrestling....
10,249 Posts
I have no issue with folks actually arguing Rock vs Austin.

What I have a problem with is banned posters constantly trying to post the same rhetoric.

The bottom line is I like both of them.

I have been accused of liking Austin more. So what the heck? I think Stone Cold paved the way for WWE. Not going to apologize. I love the Rock. Think he's a top ten talent.

It's okay to love them both, but slightly lean to Austin.

But to say I hate the Rock because I think Austin had more influence? Come on?

I simply want it all collected on one thread instead of dominating classics.

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
I have no issue with folks actually arguing Rock vs Austin.

What I have a problem with is banned posters constantly trying to post the same rhetoric.

The bottom line is I like both of them.

I have been accused of liking Austin more. So what the heck? I think Stone Cold paved the way for WWE. Not going to apologize. I love the Rock. Think he's a top ten talent.

It's okay to love them both, but slightly lean to Austin.

But to say I hate the Rock because I think Austin had more influence? Come on?

I simply want it all collected on one thread instead of dominating classics.
I would go so far as to say Austin saved WWE.

Thats why I have him in my top four. Rock in top ten.

·
Registered
3,623 Posts
Rock in 2000 was a lot hotter than Austin was in 98, the TV ratings and PPV buys prove it. Now its easy to argue that Austin was more important, but Rock was a lot hotter than Austin and I don't think its really close.

I don't think saying that Rock benefited from Austins momentum is fair, though. A big reason why WCW was totally surpassed by the WWF in early 1999 was the emergence of the Rock and to a lesser extent, Mankind as massive superstars. Austins breakthrough in 1998 put the WWF and WCW on more or less equal terms, WWF had a slight lead in 1998 but it was extremely close. Rock getting over huge opened the floodgates and put WCW in pure panic mode, basically leading to their demise.

Superbrawl 1999 did a near 500K buyrate for WCW, and WCW was still selling out arenas and doing 4.0+ ratings until April 1999. They were actually stronger in the early parts of 1999 from a business perspective than they were at any point in 1997. But even before their collapse, they were getting utterly demolished by the red hot WWF, despite the huge business they were doing, and a huge part of that was the Rock. Their is this misconception that Austin both put the WWF back in the game and single handedly beat WCW, that couldn't be further from the truth. Once WWF surpassed WCW, it was all downhill from there, and that doesn't happen without Rock.

·
Likes wrestling....
10,249 Posts
Rock in 2000 was a lot hotter than Austin was in 98, the TV ratings and PPV buys prove it. Now its easy to argue that Austin was more important, but Rock was a lot hotter than Austin and I don't think its really close.
So I guess you did not see the new Rock vs Austin thread?

·
Registered
3,623 Posts
Austin was more important, but Rock was bigger. The smart marks and WWE front office prefer Austin, but its hard to argue with the numbers. Rock did a lot better on PPV, and WWF in 2000 would have actually drawn better on TV than in 1999 if not for the move to TNN, and Austin wasn't even there for most of the year. It's a hard thing for hardcores to grasp, especially when WWE never booked Rock as strong or as important as Austin, but its the truth. WWE always underestimated how huge the Rock was, they thought the WWF machine did all of that huge business in 2000 without Austin. That's why they thought turning Austin in 2001 would be no big deal, despite Rock also leaving for Hollywood at the same time. Big mistake.

People also forget the huge business Rock did with Cena in the early 2010s. If that isn't the tiebreaker, I don't know what would be.

·
Registered
2,376 Posts
Austin was more important, but Rock was bigger. The smart marks and WWE front office prefer Austin, but its hard to argue with the numbers. Rock did a lot better on PPV, and WWF in 2000 would have actually drawn better on TV than in 1999 if not for the move to TNN, and Austin wasn't even there for most of the year. It's a hard thing for hardcores to grasp, especially when WWE never booked Rock as strong or as important as Austin, but its the truth. WWE always underestimated how huge the Rock was, they thought the WWF machine did all of that huge business in 2000 without Austin. That's why they thought turning Austin in 2001 would be no big deal, despite Rock also leaving for Hollywood at the same time. Big mistake.

People also forget the huge business Rock did with Cena in the early 2010s. If that isn't the tiebreaker, I don't know what would be.
Very nice post. It sums up Rock/Austin debate to its core.

·
Registered
2,376 Posts
12k views on this thread......so we don't need a sticky?
It seems that RL has once again riled you up GL.😆

·
Registered
2,376 Posts
Agreed. I guess the rub is the "more important" vs "the bigger" right?

I mean that's what we have been debating on for years.
Exactly👍

Reactions: GL

·
Registered
Charisma is when people look at you and start shivering.
625 Posts
Rock-Austin mark wars are not a new thing on this forum and certainly on Internet. They happen on usual basis on various platforms like YouTube,Twitter,Facebook and other forums. The problem is that people can't be rational in this debate and always lean towards their favorite.

I think the main reason for this is that Some people even go so far in discrediting/downplaying one wrestler (either Rock or Austin) to make the other superior that it gives birth to countless unnecessary arguments.

They are both mega stars. There's no need to say without one the other wouldn't have happened. Both Rock and Austin speak highly of each other so why their fans can't?

That's all I wanted to say.

·
Registered
Charisma is when people look at you and start shivering.
625 Posts
I've been part of several debates myself and from my personal experience I can say it brings nothing except negativity in your mind. At the end of the day, this is Internet...people are gonna believe what they want to believe. You simply cannot change someone's opinion over a thing they are not agreeing with you. Healthy discussions are fine though.

·
Registered
8,326 Posts
I love both. Although Corporate Rock was far superior to anything Austin ever did in his career. Austin was the better face, Rock far superior heel.

181 - 200 of 254 Posts