Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Two of the biggest years in professional wrestling history

Austin started the boom in 1998
Rock took the WWF to new heights in 2000

Who was hotter?
Who did you prefer?

If you Could, who (in 2019) would you bring back for the whole year, 98-Austin or 00-Rock?

For me, Austin was amazing.. but Rock in 00 was a different kettle of fish.

Both goats though :laugh:

·
THE NXT CHAMP BAYBAY !
11,566 Posts
Austin from late 97 to mid 99 is unmatched.

RLStern - "Austin was never hot, in fact he was actually at all time low in terms of popularity in 98 thus proving he is not a draw"

·
Registered
5,812 Posts
Austin vs. Rock discussions never go peacefully :maury :maury

·
Registered
13,989 Posts
I'm gonna say Austin.

Both guys were on higher plans than everyone but a small handful, but I'd give Austin the edge because he got the ball rolling and saved WWF when they were on the brink of collapse. Without Austin there's no way of knowing what happens.

·
Registered
2,553 Posts
Austin cames out as hot and the ratings turned at Wrestlemania 1998 and obviously Mike Tyson mainstrem apperance helped WWF a lot in these times. Also Sable and nudity helped WWF turned the paige because no internet and it was rare to see boobs.

1996: NWO
1997: Sting
1998: Goldberg
1999: Austin
2000: Rock

·
Registered
119 Posts
Love both guys, but I picked Stone Cold Steve Austin as hotter during their respective times. That main character (of course along with the WWF people) especially feuding with Mr. MacMahon, was competing against NWO (Hogan, Nash, Hall), Goldberg, "Crow" Sting, even WCW, who were all amazingly hot themselves during that time.

·
Registered
4,493 Posts
I'd say The Rock 2000 purely because that character broke through and became a big name in the mainstream, unlike Austin who was just contained in the Rasslin business.

·
Registered
12,000 Posts
Rock wouldn't even had a WWF to wrestle in if not for Austin. Rocky and DX would have got on their knees for NWO's stranglehold on wrestling.

Scorpion King only had to worry about Russo's WCW.

·
Banned
3,640 Posts
Austin in 98, but it's close. You really can't go wrong with either at that time. But if I can personally bring one back for a run in the current gen and they have cart blanc to do whatever they please, man gimme SCSA. That original badass gimmick is unmatched to me.

·
Registered
12,000 Posts
Also growing up in the 90s, only 2 wrestling shirts mattered. Austin 3:16 and NWO. I never seen anybody rock a Rock shirt, was there even a shirt for that jaborni?

·
it's a tarp!
6,731 Posts
Austin took the WWF from stone cold in 1995/6 to rock hot in 1998.
The Rock then took WWF from rock hot to become a wCw destroying ratings juggernaut.

So while Austin did the much more difficult job of taking a failing business to greatness. Then The Rock took that greatness, and made it even bigger.

·
The Babyface of WF
"What I've always wanted...A better world"
17,758 Posts
1.Austin was much hotter in 98 compared to Rock in 2000, He WAS Attitude in it's purest form.

2.I'm a Mark of The Rock saying that.

3.Rock would likely thrive a little more in today's landscape of WWE.

·
Registered
373 Posts
I think 97-99 Austin in general was above The Rock in his prime. I'm not saying Rock wasn't a big deal 2 but Austin really played a part in more wild unpredictable moments that really made the crowd go crazy whenever they heard the glass shatter. Alot of Rocks attention came solely from his character on mic while Austin had more exciting wtf moments that pumped up the crowd along with the entertaining mic/promo work so I honestly think he outshined Rocks fame to some degree.

·
Registered
4,911 Posts
Austin, and it's not close. Rock was even hotter in 1999 than in 2000, but still nowhere near Austin 1998. It's a fact.

·
Registered
116 Posts
The ROCK obivously

1. Holds the record of drawing most arenas with 10,000+ attendance on top in one calendar year. [Broke Hogan's(1986) and Austin's(1998) record in 1999 and set a record of headlining over 100 shows with 10,000 plus people in attendance in year 2000. A box-office drawing record that is unsurpassed till date.]

2. Holds the record of main-eventing almost 17 PPVs that have got over 500k buys. Over 80% of the PPVs he main-evented drew over 400k buys. As a PPV headliner no one is even close.

3. Drew the highest cable ratings during the AE(real quartely segments not over-run). Took ratings to heights never before seen in 2000.

4. Sold more merchandise than anyone active(Austin) between mid 1999-2001

The ROCK even appeared at the RNC 2000

Even with Bill Gates to promote XBox

·
Registered
6,263 Posts
2000 Rock was more over (he'd make the crowd pop with his facial expressions ffs) and a bigger mainstream star, but from a critical rather than commercial perspective I slightly prefer Austins 98 work. Rock had such natural charisma and presence that all he really needed to do was rattle off the catchphrases, raise the eyebrow and hit the elbow and everyone was happy. I think Austin had to work a little harder to engage people.

Austin from late 97 to mid 99 is unmatched.

RLStern - "Austin was never hot, in fact he was actually at all time low in terms of popularity in 98 thus proving he is not a draw"
"Rock became the biggest star in wrestling in March 1997, I know because I was 3 at the time"

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
These discussions never end but thats alright, these two will go down (along with Hogan) as the best ever.

The answer is Stone Cold, the guy was so fucking huge and relevant. As far as who maintained the relevance, thats obviously The Rock because of his acting career. As a kid Stone Cold was one of the biggest stars in the world, everybody knew who he was and its crazy how popular he was amongst kids too, we all got called to the principals office at some point for having his shirt. Haha

1 - 20 of 254 Posts