Wrestling Forum banner

3601 - 3615 of 3615 Posts

·
#BAYBAY
20,070 Posts
I'm looking forward to seeing who the final 6 are.

I don't think he'll be in the tournament, but it'd be great if Ospreay was. Afterall, he first sent out the tweet about what if the Pure Title was brought back.

·
#BAYBAY
20,070 Posts

I can't help but feel ROH needs maybe 1 or 2 more big names for the Women's tournament.

I read that Su Yung's Impact deal has expired. If I were ROH, I would try and sign her immediately before Impact no doubt tries to tie her down to a new deal

·
Registered
725 Posts

This weekends shows have been cancelled.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts

This weekends shows have been cancelled.
Glad that ROH management acted fairly quickly on cancelling both shows for the safety of the workers and most important the fans. Only thing that sucks is that Saturday nights show was looking to be pretty good. Hopefully once everything with the corona virus improves in the world, maybe they can reschedule this show.

·
Registered
3,066 Posts

Ring of Honor “Reach for the Sky 2016: Liverpool”
November 18th, 2016
From the Olympia in Liverpool, England
Commentators: Kevin Kelley and Steve Corino

Frankie Kazarian vs. Lio Rush
This was a really good match. Definitely two different styles of wrestling but Rush and Kazarian worked well together. Lios high-flying style was held back a lot by the extremely loose ropes and the house lighting did Kazarians hair no favours at all.
Winner: Lio Rush
Kazarian shows Rush some respect after the match.

Nigel McGuinness comes out to a rousing reaction from the (somewhat) hometown crowd and genuflects on all his memories in the Olympia. He runs down the card for tonight and announces that Bobby Fish will be defending the Ring of Honor World Television Championship against Will Osprey tonight.

Joe Hendry vs. Donavan Dijak
This is the first time I’ve seen Joe Hendry in the ring. I’ve seen a few of his promo videos and interviews...and I didn’t like him. At all. This match didn’t make me like him any less. But it didn’t make me like him. Dijak was “on” and deserved a better opponent.
Winner: Donavan Dijak

Christopher Daniels vs. JAY FUCKING WHITE
The crowd was awesome here because they were firmly behind Christopher Daniels beating the shit out of JAY FUCKING WHITE, who was a face. I think. He sure looked like a turd. This match just kinda happened, just like Jay White all of a sudden being popular.
Winner: JAY FUCKING WHITE
Christopher Daniels grabs the mic and says the only reason Jay White won tonight...was because he was the better man and the future of wrestlers. What the fuck is this shit? JAY FUCKING WHITE grabs the mic and warbles out some indecipherable wankery.

Chris Sabin vs. Jay Lethal
This match was best defined by the two combatants passing out in the ring after a long exchange. Not because it was brutal, exhausting exchange but because any time I’ve seen these two wrestle one another they’ve put everyone to sleep. They just don’t work well together. I lay the blame on Sabin. I’ve seen Lethal have so many great matches but the only good matches I can remember Sabin being in were multi-person/team matches where you forgot he was even in them (like the Ladder War that happened two months before this, does anyone even remember that the Motor City Machine Guns were in that match?).
Winner: Jay Lethal

Nigel McGuinness joins the commentary team.

Marty Scurll vs. Dalton Castle w/different Boys
Ugh. This match had the most annoying chanting from the crowd. I always know it as the “hey Bayley, oh, ah, I wanna know if you’ll be my girl” chant that the NXT dweebs do but it’s obviously something else. Whatever it is it’s fucking shit and I never want to hear it. It’s not even a fucking chant. A chant should be one or two words. That’s a fucking paragraph. Anyway, as far as I know this was Scurlls first match in Ring of Honor. I remember people online being really excited for him wrestling on this tour and I had no idea who he was. This match was nothing special. It was good for a Dalton Castle match.
Winner: Marty Scurll via referee stoppage (Dalton Castle was out cold when Scurll put him in the Chicken-Wing)

For the Ring of Honor World Television Championship
Will Ospreay vs. Bobby Fish (champion)
I’m sure this was a good match. I really wasn’t paying too much attention to it.
Winner: Will Ospreay (new Ring of Honor World Television Champion)

The Bullet Club (Adam Cole and the Young Bucks) vs. Kyle O’Reilly & the Briscoes
I hated Adam Cole in the Bullet Club so much. But you know what I hated even more? Kyle O’Reilly: main eventer. And they have the gall to team him with the Briscoes? This was a typical main event with the Young Bucks; meaning it was good, if you’ve ever watched Ring of Honor you’ve seen it a million times but if you ever saw it live it was so much fun. The Bucks really are better live. Even people I know who hate them admit that seeing them live has an electricity to it that’s undeniable.
Winners: Kyle O’Reilly & the Briscoes
_
DVD bonus features:
Marty Scurll post-match comments

Kyle O’Reilly and the Briscoes post-match comments

Post-show recap with Kevin Kelley, Steve Corino and Nigel McGuinness
_
This was an okay show. There were a couple good matches (Rush verses Kazarian and the main event were both really good) but nothing worth remembering. The chants and pandering too much to the British crowd really got to me. And the loose ring ropes were distracting. The commentators kept saying that was the British style of having the ring set up but Christopher Daniels even mentioned the ring was “broken” in his short promo after his match. I don’t know they’d be like that? It seems dumb to me but I guess UK wrestling is more ground based.

Steve Corino was different tonight. He was a lot more...nice? And quiet. He became a bit more like himself after the intermission. He left Ring of Honor a month after this and he may have already signed with the WWE. According to his Wikipedia page he had a tryout with the WWE in November 2016 so you could tell he’d checked out here. Maybe he jet-lagged too. Nigel McGuinness left very shortly after this as well. You could kind of tell in his voice when he cut his promo. But so many people “checked out” of Ring of Honor in the two years following this show.

The British chants are horrible. The one during Marty Scurlls match was the worst but there was a few during the TV title match that were fucking brutal too.

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
In the Bracket of Honor they’re doing on the official website I voted:

Samoa Joe over James Gibson (easy vote)
KENTA over Jeff Cobb (a tough pick)
Marty Scurrl over Adam Cole (fuck Adam Cole)
Kevin Steen over Eddie Edwards (another tough pick)
Brian Danielson over Colt Cabana (I like Colt, but how was this even a question?)
Austin Aries over Davey Richards (because I dislike Aries less)
AJ Styles over Homicide (had to go with my head instead of my heart)
Low Ki over Roderick Strong
Jay Lethal over Jerry Lynn
Matt Taven over Dalton Castle (Taven makes the next round only by going against one of the few weaker options)
Michael Elgin over PCO
Jay Briscoe over Kyle O’Reilly (easiest pick of the round, really the only reason I participated was to make sure Jay advances)
Nigel McGuinness over Xavier
Cody over Tyler Black (because one ended up being far less a cuck)
Christopher Daniels over Rush (I doubt Daniels has a chance but Rush really does suck)
Takeshi Morishima over CM Punk (because fuck CM Punk)

im not even sure what this tournament is about but im under isolation until Monday probably

·
Registered
725 Posts

Brian Danielson over Colt Cabana (I like Colt, but how was this even a question?)
Matt Taven over Dalton Castle (Taven makes the next round only by going against one of the few weaker options)
Michael Elgin over PCO
Jay Briscoe over Kyle O’Reilly (easiest pick of the round, really the only reason I participated was to make sure Jay advances)
Christopher Daniels over Rush (I doubt Daniels has a chance but Rush really does suck)

im not even sure what this tournament is about but im under isolation until Monday probably
I saw this the other day. I voted:

Samoa Joe
Jeff Cobb
Adam Cole
Eddie Edwards
Bryan Danielson
Homicide
Roderick Strong (and I hate Strong and love Low Ki but I feel it's the right call)
Jay Lethal
Matt Taven
Michael Elgin
Jay Briscoe
Nigel McGuinness
Tyler Black
Christopher Daniels
CM Punk

·
Registered
3,066 Posts

Ring of Honor “Road to Final Battle 2015: Fort Lauderdale”
December 5th, 2015
From the War Memorial Auditorium in Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Commentators: Kevin Kelly and Mr. Wrestling III

Tonight: Jay Lethal and Donovan Dijak face the Young Bucks.

Will Ferrara vs. Mark Briscoe
This was a REALLY GOOD fast-paced, rough wrestling match. It’s one of the better Will Ferrara matches (who was having a lot of really good matches at this time) but it was one of the better solo Mark Briscoe matches I’ve seen too.
Winner: Mark Briscoe

Tim Hughes vs. Kyle O’Reilly
I’d usually be rooting for Tim Hughes anyway but in a match verses Kyle O’Reilly it’s not even a question. Although O’Reilly was more entertaining in these days where he was breaking out as a singles star rather than pushed as a main-eventer. This was a pretty one-sided affair. I don’t think Hughes got one shot in.
Winner: Kyle O’Reilly
Kyle O’Reilly cuts a promo hyping his upcoming match with Adam Cole at Final Battle. I don’t remember ever hearing him cut a promo. He wasn’t entirely terrible and he kept it short.

Adam Cole vs. Kenny King
Geez; what is this video? This was another “one of the better matches I’ve seen from...” matches from both of these guys. They gelled together very well.
Winner: Adam Cole

RoHwrestling.com/shop advertisement.

The Dirty Blondes vs. War Machine
There was a lot of jigglin’ going on in this match. The commentators built the Dirty Blondes up pretty well before this match got going but they ended up jobbing almost as bad as Tim Hughes.
Winners: War Machine

Delirious vs. Roderick Strong (champion)
Given how good the show had been up until this point this was a bit of a disappointment. Delirious was as entertaining as usual and the match itself was just “good”.
Winner: Roderick Strong

4-Corner Survival Match
Rhett Titus vs. Cheeseburger w/a broken hand vs. Moose w/Stokely Hathaway vs. Dalton Castle w/o Boys...or his usual entrance gear
This wasn’t a good match, but it was a FUN match. Dalton suplexed Moose at one point and I think that may have been the exact moment in time that the back problems that have plagued him later on happened. His back bent BAD and he had huge man land on his head.
Winner: Moose

ACH and Bobby Fish come out for their match and ACH says that since Fish’s partner Kyle O’Reilly didn’t have much competition against Tim Hughes earlier in the show why not make this a tag team match? He brings out his surprise partner: Alex Shelley! Bobby Fish agrees but is really pissed off.

ACH & Alex Shelley vs. reDRagon
So as much as I’m always hard on Kyle O’Reilly I am a fan of his tag team work. Shit, the guy’s good in singles matches but he’s just not main event material to me. Anyway, this was a good fast-paced match.
Winners: reDRagon

Matt Sydal vs. Jay Briscoe
I don’t think poor Matt Sydal was ready for an opponent like Jay Briscoe. They wrestled before in tag team matches during Sydals first run in Ring of Honor ten years earlier but this was a different Jay Briscoe. Sydal did get some offence in during the latter portions of the match but it was mostly a beating, and even though I have nothing against Sydal I loved it.
Winner: Jay Briscoe

The House of Truth (Jay Lethal and Donovan Dijak) w/ Truth Martini and Taeler Hendrix vs. the Young Bucks
It took me until they came out together to start this match for me to remember that Lethal and Dijak were at one point part of a stable together. This was really good. They made great use of the house stage and that was a nice element. It probably sucked for the live crowd, except those that were sitting on the stage. But as a viewer at home it didn’t matter.
Winners: the Young Bucks
____
DVD bonus features:
Martin Stone & Aaron Solo w/Trina Michaels vs. Colby Corino & Shaheem Ali
I googled and looked at the Online World of Wrestling page for Aaron Solo and it’s kinda odd that a guy named Aaron Solo has predominantly been a tag-team wrestler for most of his eleven-year career. This was surprisingly good for a dark match.
Winners: Colby Corino & Shaheem Ali

Post show recap with Kevin Kelly and Mr. Wrestling III
____
I watched this tonight and I watched a show from the lead to Final Battle 2016 a day or two ago and it’s weird how much difference a year made in Ring of Honor, and in my opinion for the worse. This was about six months before the Bullet Club and NJPW fever really took over Ring of Honor and RoH was able to be its own show. It’s its own show now but it doesn’t have the roster to back it up now that it did then. This took me back to a time before the wrestling landscape changed to its current meta dick measuring contest. A time when anything that wasn’t WWE was still relatively underground and there was a different kind of excitement. I miss those days.

This was an exceptionally good show. No one match sticks out but I guess the simple fact that I said in my reviews that the matches with Will Ferrara, Mark Briscoe, Adam Cole and Kenny King were some of the best matches I’ve ever seen from any of those guys is all that needs to be said. It was a lot faster paced than Ring of Honor shows usually are and that was a nice change. The main show was only two hours and fifteen minutes and there were two more matches than usual (nine as opposed to the usual seven) than usual shows which run a half hour longer. I mean, two of those matches were relative jobber squashes that almost never happen on Ring of Honor shows but sometimes you need one of those to break up things.

I liked the way the arena was set up here. I swear I’ve seen wrestling shows from the War Memorial Arena before but this looked different. They came out on the house stage and there wasn’t even a curtain. It looked very “Indy”.

“Hulk Hogan guy” from all the WWF videos that were filmed in Florida was in the crowd!

Everyone just seemed to be having so much fun at this show (the wrestlers, the crowd) and it made watching it that much better. If you’ve never seen Ring of Honor and are only familiar of them because of all the negativity surrounding them from the last eighteen months check this one out.

·
Registered
3,066 Posts

Michael Elgin over PCO

In round 2 I voted:
Samoa Joe over KENTA
Kevin Steen over Adam Cole
Brian Danielson over Austin Aries
AJ Styles over Roderick Strong
Jay Lethal over Dalton Castle
Jay Briscoe over PCO
Nigel McGuinness over Tyler Black
CM Punk over Christopher Daniels

lol, the current and two-time champion (Rush) didn’t make it passed the first round. Neither did poor, cursed Matt Taven.

·
Registered
3,066 Posts

Ring in Honor “Field of Honor 2016”
August 27th, 2016
From MCU Park in Brooklyn, New York
Commentators: Kevin Kelly and Steve Corino

Keith Hardy sings the National Anthem.

Tonight: Adam Cole defends the Ring of Honor World Heavyweight Championship in a Four-Corners Survival Match against Hiroshi Tanahashi, Jay Lethal and Tetsuya Naito.

Kushida vs. Dalton Castle w/four different Boys
This started out a comedy match but then just turned into a match. But not a particularly good one.
Winner: Kushida

EVIL vs. Bobby Fish (champion)
I just couldn’t give a rats ass about these two guys.
Winner: Bobby Fish

For the IGPW Intercontinental Championship
Donovan Dijak w/Prince Nana vs. Michael Elgin (champion)
This was a decent power match but these guys are both better in matches where their opponents have more a more explosive style for them to feed off of.
Winner: Michael Elgin

Silas Young and the Beer City Bruiser t-shirt ad.

Tag Team Gauntlet Match for a shot at the Ring of Honor World Tag Team Championships directly following the match
Leon St. Giovani & Shaheem Ali vs. CHAOS (Taro Yano and Gedo) vs. Cheeseburger & Will Ferrara w/Joey Daddiego vs. the All-Night Express vs. War Machine vs. the Briscoes
This was a fun match that moved along quickly enough and got some of the undercard guys with nothing better to do on the show. I was surprised how long CHAOS lasted. Once the Briscoes came out and it was them against War Machine the match went to another level. Those two teams had some incredible chemistry.
Winners: the Briscoes

For the Ring of Honor World Tag Team Championships
The Briscoes vs. the Addiction
There wasn’t even a second to catch your breath after the last match before this one started up. It was good and did a great job of building the Addiction as chicken-shit heels but War Machine verses the Briscoes in the Gauntlet match was way more fun to watch.
Winners: the Addiction

Motor City Machine Guns t-shirt ad.

The Bullet Club (the Young Bucks, Hangman Page and Yujiro Takahashi) vs. the Motor City Machine Guns, ACH & Lio Rush
This was good but I think they should have put something between this and the previous tag team match; which clocked in at well over a half an hour, was exhausting and was frankly much better. There was probably an intermission between that match and this one (because it was all of sudden much darker outside) but as some dude watching this at home of DVD I couldn’t tell.
Winners: the Bullet Club

Bobby Fish joins the commentary team for the next match.

Katsuyori Shibata vs. Kyle O’Reilly
You know, I don’t think I’ve ever seen Shibata wrestle. I’ve just known him as “that idiot that did the headbutt a couple of years ago and ended his own career”. Oh, and as “that guy I'd never heard anyone talk about but then all of a sudden he was everyone’s favourite Japanese wrestler”. I really don’t miss the NJPW fever of 2017/18. Old man smarkyness aside I do like what I saw of his “feel no pain” style here. Maybe I should check out a match or two of his with actual weight behind it. If someone wants to recommend one to me that I can find for free somewhere I’m willing to check it out.
Winner: Kyle O’Reilly via referee stoppage

Four Corners Survival Match for the Ring of Honor World Heavyweight Championship
Tetsuya Naito vs. Jay Lethal vs. Hiroshi Tanahashi vs. Adam Cole (champion)
I really couldn’t get myself interested in this match. It was good but I really just didn’t care. And my son lost his Switch so for a lot of it I was busy helping him try and find that. It was (of course) laying under a book in such plain view that no one bothered to look there.
Winner: Adam Cole
_
DVD bonus features:
Adam Cole talks about the main event.

Taeler Hendrix vs. Deonna Purrazzo
The only interesting part(s) of this match were at the beginning when someone whipped a streamer into the ring hard enough that if it had of hit Deonna Purrazzo it probably would have knocked her out and Taelers...eyes. This was a pretty bad match.
Winner: Taeler Hendrix

Leon St. Giovani and Shaheem Ali also wrestled Joey Daddiego and Ken Phoenix during the pre-show for a slot in that Gauntlet match but they didn’t include it on the DVD. I only know that because Steve Corino mentioned it.
_
This wasn’t the best show. It was pretty much a one match show; that being the Tag Team Gauntlet Match and the following tag team title match, which also featured the Young Bucks but I didn’t bother mentioning. The rest just felt like an exhibition show. I think it may have been a taping for the weekly TV show too.

This show was outdoors at in a small baseball stadium at Coney Island. The rides in the background and the sun setting were very nice visuals. I think it would be fun to see a show at an outdoor baseball stadium if the weather was nice and the crowd set up closer to the ring.

I don't think Ring of Honor has done a Field of Honor show since this one. That's surprising considering how well things were going for them in 2017.

3601 - 3615 of 3615 Posts