Don't get between a wolf & its prey!
14,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

May 20th 2017
Allstate Arena, Chicago, Illinois

-----

NXT Championship

Bobby Roode (c) vs. Hideo Itami

NXT Women's Championship (Triple Threat)

Asuka (c) vs. Ruby Riot vs. Nikki Cross

NXT Tag Team Championship (Ladder Match)

The Authors of Pain (c) vs. #DIY

WWE United Kingdom Championship

Tyler Bate (c) vs. Pete Dunne

Roderick Strong vs. Eric Young

Reactions: Even Flow

·
Registered
25,252 Posts
Very much looking forward to the show.

Now, this is probably the weakest Takeover Main event maybe eve with Itami vs. Roode. And no knock on Itami, but the dude just hasn’t been able to stay healthy enough to care about him at a high level so this is a step down down from Naka, Balor, Joe, etc.

But Roode has had 2 great main events IMO against Naka and Itami looks good as well after that match with Strong. I expect a good match though it’s fairly obvious Roode will retain.

DIY vs. AOP in a ladder match sounds fun. I’m sure DIY will do some innovate stuff while making AOP look like beasts. Though this should hopefully be the blowoff match for this feud.

The Triple Threat with Nikki vs. Ruby vs. Asuka looks good. I’ve always like Nikki’s and Asuksa’s interactions and I’ve been impressed by Ruby from the little I’ve seen of her. So again, expecting a good match but again, the winner is obvious.

And Bate vs. Dunne will probably steal the show IMO looking back at their last match.

Looking much more forward to this compared to Backlash.

·
Registered
11,936 Posts
Looking forward to this Takeover, the card is a little on the weaker side but Takeovers are always freaking awesome regardless. It will most likely destroy Backlash as well lol

·
Registered
261 Posts
Isn't it odd to only have 4 matches advertised?

They advertised McEntyre v Blake and Aleister Black v someone for the weekly show so it sounds like they're not on the card, odd

·
THE NXT CHAMP BAYBAY !
11,146 Posts
Bold prediction: Adam Cole doesn't show up and we get Kyle O'Reilly.

Reactions: Darkest Lariat

·
Premium Member
4,759 Posts
This is the most hyped I've felt for an NXT Takeover since Nakamura's debut.

Hideo in the main event and it's in Chicago?!
:flairdance

·
Won't shut up about Peyton Royce
17,649 Posts
Ma boi CJ has to add Roddy vs Young, who was added in the show tonight

Bold prediction: Adam Cole doesn't show up and we get Kyle O'Reilly.
"What is Ryle O'Keilly doing in the front row? I guess this is the place where everyone wants to be" :grin2:

·
THE NXT CHAMP BAYBAY !
11,146 Posts
"What is Ryle O'Keilly doing in the front row? I guess this is the place where everyone wants to be" :grin2:
"Look who's beside him !! His tagteam partner Bobby Shark !! Together they're known as BlueDragon" :lmao:lmao:lmao

·
Registered
16,460 Posts
I swear if I hear Cm Punk chants during Itami v Roode I am turning off, I aint got time for that shit.

Otherwise the card looks awesome and I cannot wait.

·
Let's talk about six, baby.
8,444 Posts
By now I've learned that a Takeover will always deliver even when the card doesn't look like anything special. Should be a fun show.

·
Registered
3,791 Posts
Pretty hyped for this. Really looking forward to the UK Championship match. Hope they get some time and JR calling it will be great.

Picks:
Bobby Roode Def. Hideo Itami
Asuka Def. Ruby Riot & Nikki Cross
AOP Def. DIY
Pete Dunne Def. Tyler Bate
Eric Young Def. Roderick Strong

·
Won't shut up about Peyton Royce
17,649 Posts
Well fuck, I was really looking forward to that match, hopefully he still able to compete

Tommaso Ciampa of DIY was reportedly injured at tonight's NXT live event in Highland Heights, KY.

Ciampa and his partner, Johnny Gargano, were facing Sanity at the show. A few minutes into the match, Ciampa dived off the ring apron onto Sanity and hurt his left leg. The match was quickly stopped and ruled a no-contest. An upset Ciampa hopped to the back yelling, "get me the f--k out of here."

Ciampa and Gargano were scheduled to face NXT Tag Team Champions The Authors of Pain for the titles at NXT: Takeover this Saturday.
http://www.wrestlinginc.com/wi/news/2017/0518/626321/breaking-former-nxt-title-holder-reportedly-injured-at-live-event/

·
SLAVE.
3,384 Posts
I reckon Roddy and Young can put on a good match, I'm excited for the PROG-... I mean UK Title match. Otherwise I'm kinda... eh on this, especially now #DIY might not even be in action. I'm also guessing they must be adding some matches to the card, unless this is only gonna be like an hour special or something?

·
Registered
633 Posts
Man, I really hope that the DIY match can still happen. That was by far and away the match that I was the most excited for. Even if Tomasso can't compete, maybe they could bring Drew in to take his place, considering him and Johnny have teamed before. I would just really be sad to see that match taken off the card. Get well soon Tomasso.

·
Registered
12,634 Posts
Only title change should be #DIY beating AoP. Get the tired unbeatable push off AoP while still protecting them as it's a gimmick match so neither are pinned or submit. Also Ellering could whine about how the match favored the smaller wrestlers and hosses don't climb ladders.

Tyler Bate should keep his title. I think longer reigns add certain prestige and establishes the title better. Now I might have a DQ or count out finish or something to protect Dunne and maybe set up Bate vs Dunne for UK Title II for Brooklyn or some UK show.

Given the recent television show booking, it's glaringly obvious Roode is retaining. I hope Itami is sent to 205Live and the CW division after this. Roode could move on to McIntyre, Black or Roddy Strong.

Asuka should retain. At this point I think I keep her undefeated until her call-up. Have the Women's Invitational Tournament crown the new NXT Women's Championship after Asuka vacates the title after Takeover Brooklyn to move up to the main roster. Keep Asuka undefeated until Charlotte vs Asuka at WM.

Strong vs Young - meh, don't really care. Will care more if Adam Cole comes out of the crowd Savio Vega style to make the save for Roddy on the wrong end of an extended 3-on-1 beatdown, but that would make the other faces in the lockerroom look like dicks.

·
Premium Member
44,386 Posts
This is another TakeOver special that feels rushed and is coming way too soon after the previous one. That said, the next one isn't until August, so we do have a nice break after Chicago.

My thoughts on the card:

Roderick Strong Vs. Eric Young = I'll say this. The recent videos WWE did made me care more about Roderick Strong than literally anything else he's done his entire career. Very well done and gave us a more human side to him that gives us something to connect with. He isn't the flashiest personality and doesn't have the best look, so the best option is to go emotional and human and it was good. Not sure who is going to go over here. I'll pick Eric Young and put Roddy in the role Tye recently had where he struggled against Sanity until finally getting the big win.

Tyler Bate -c- Vs. Pete Dunne: WWE UK Championship = The match they had to close out the tournament earlier this year was great, but they've done so little with the UK title that I find it hard to get too excited about this. For a brief bit, I forgot the title even existed to be honest. I don't know if they'll be able to recapture the energy they had at the UK Title tourney, but it should be a good match regardless. Whoever goes over depends on who they want carrying the belt for the new UK show. I'll go with Dunne to win the title just to have a heel help carry the show.

Asuka -c- Vs. Ruby Riot Vs. Nikki Cross; NXT Women's Title = In a weird way, Ember Moon's injury was kind of fortuitous. Right now, she's the only one that's been a true threat to Asuka (Asuka had to cheat to beat her) and a rematch deserves more time to simmer. Throwing Ember into a multi-person match would have undercut that a little bit. Anyways, this might end up being one of the better Women's Matches in a while. When they moved most of the Women's roster to the main show, it left a lot of spaces to fill and they've been struggling. However, Nikki Cross and Ruby Riot have been fine additions and Nikki in particular plays her character to the max, and I expect a good fun match out of this. Asuka is retaining through. I don't doubt that at all.

Authors of Pain -c- Vs. DIY: NXT Tag Title Ladder Match = I just read that Ciampa got injured, which is unfortunate. I guess we'll find later if he'll be good to go for this match. Its a shame though because this was really the best built match on the show with DIY finally getting Authors of Pain 2 on 2 and in a match that favors their style of wrestling. Could a Ladder match be the Achilles' heel to the AoP? Don't know. The Tag Title matches have really been stealing the show at TakeOvers lately and I was kind of hoping that trend would continue even without The Revival to carry the load. I'll pick AoP to retain though if Ciampa has to be replaced, they might put the titles on the new pairing just for shock value.

Bobby Roode -c- Vs. Hideo Itami: NXT Title = Roode's been killing it lately, but this match feels a little rushed and is something they are doing just to get it over with. I expect the match to be good though. Roode will almost certainly retain.

So, that's TakeOver. It reeks of a show that was rushed together and doesn't have a whole lot of build or intrigue to it, but TakeOvers have managed to be good despite that, so we'll see.

·
Stomping Scrawny Vanilla Midgetesses
4,302 Posts
Roderick Strong should go over Eric Young but then have to go through Killian Dain next as a big match.

In all sense of making things more interesting considering Pete Dunne has the more interesting persona for an otherwise sorta lacking tension UK belt, I'd like Pete Dunne to pick up the belt to have a very interesting heel start off the UK show.

DIY has done all they can in NXT, they're great, but they should lose and get a farewell fanfare from the crowd while we set up Heavy Machinery vs. AoP.

Asuka should retain, even more so with Ember Moon injured, I think Nikki Cross is READY to get gold, but we have obligations to fill and we can't move forward until we address the Ember Moon/Asuka arc.

Itami should go over, Roode is an interesting champion, but Itami is the last of the NXT 5 not to get the belt and he's one of those guys who can't afford to even touch the main roster until he's had the title. You can even pop the title back onto Roode if need be, because BY ALL means, Roode is the best NXT champion since Kevin Owens, but the skills of KENTA should be shown off here and showcase his big match skills, he's the last of the NXT 5 to do such. Plus I CANNOT see Itami coming back from that oh so stingy promo of "YOU CAN TELL YOUR KIDS, DADDY FAILED". You gotta win after that.

1 - 20 of 569 Posts