Wrestling Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
5161 - 5180 of 10019 Posts

·
Registered
22,784 Posts
Don't recall anything else being potentially planned for WM 17 with Undertaker or HHH. Fuck knows though. That was a loooooong time ago now. Only way to find out I guess would be to treck through a bunch of old Wrestling Observer Newsletters from around the time :p.

Well with No Mercy 2007 out of the way, I'm moving out to the next show, that I once again picked out at random. New Years Revolution. Not sure what to expect from this event, I only remember 2 matches from the show, and I was never a big fan of them :p.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Didn't HHH turn down the Mania 17 main event? I'm sure I read it was meant to be a 3 way but he didn't want to be in it.

Sure I also read he was meant to face a celebrity at one point as well.

·
Super Moderator Going Backwards With WF
33,465 Posts
Yeah, only reason i asked really is Taker was with Kane feuding with Haku/Rikishi, then all of a sudden he interrupted a HHH promo, and kicked off that feud. Just came across as a tad rushed, but who knows TBH.

Sill, glad we got it as i love (on previous watches anyway), their WM match.

·
Registered
257 Posts
All these 2007 shows are interesting. Think that's the one year of PPV's I missed most of. I saw only half those shows. The one year I'd say I have followed Wrestling the least since I've been a fan.

riple H and Undertaker was a logical match. Sure they weren't feuding before but I remember when Triple H attacked Undertaker on Smackdown I believe, I can think of the segment where he's choking him out with a chair and says how he cripples people, it just made sense to throw two big guys like that in a match for Mania. It was a pretty good match for the time it took place, I've always been a pretty big fan of that brawl.

As far as Punk in Chicago or Austin in Texas, Bret Hart in Canada, especially Calgary surely trumps both.

Austin is just loved universally and outside of WM X7 I can't think of Texas really going out of their way for him. He had his biggest ovations outside of Texas.

Calgary is just a historic wrestling town, not only the hometown of the Hart's but considering that's where the Dungeon was and Stampede Wrestling etc, it's just got a great history here in Western Canada.

The whole hometown argument isn't one I'd debate over though. I don't know how one would really be able to tell who was loved more in a certain area. There are some great wrestling city's and Wrestlers from those places and that's it.

·
Super Moderator Going Backwards With WF
33,465 Posts
Triple H and Undertaker was a logical match. Sure they weren't feuding before but I remember when Triple H attacked Undertaker on Smackdown I believe, I can think of the segment where he's choking him out with a chair and says how he cripples people,
Yeah, that happened on the Raw following their initial Smackdown confrontation, where Taker interrupted Trips, and then attacked him after HHH tried to hit Taker.

HHH then gained some revenge the Raw after that, attacking Taker with a chair whilst he was on his bike. This Raw also had Kane inserted into the Hardcore title picture, when Show attacked him. Watching this episode now lol.

·
Registered
5,812 Posts
The first 2 I agree, the other, I think Bret Hart in Canada slightly edges out Punk in Chicago. Also, JYD in Louisiana tops Punk in Chicago, too. JYD was a god to those people in the 1980s.

Steve Austin in anywhere in Texas
Kurt Angle in Pittsburg
Chris Benoit in Edmonton

I would say Cena in Boston, but I've heard him actually get boo'd as a baby face in Boston more than once so that one ain't gonna fly. Ain't no way Lawler, Flair, Punk, Hart, JYD, Austin, Angle, or Benoit would get boo'd as a baby face in their home town.

Orton is pretty popular on St. Louis as well.
If we can say Bret Hart in Canada, than obviously Khali in India comes to mind. Sure, we don't have any "pop" evidence of that, but he is regarded as perhaps literally a God there to the point of random people shuttling Khali around when he is there. Zack Ryder and Jericho somewhat touch on this on Ryder's episode of TIJ. Hell, it has to be the only reason Khali technically lasted as long as he did. In a land of I think 1.2 billion, that sheer volume has to put Khali up there if we count countries.

I went to wiki it to verify, and I was kinda shocked to learn that Kerry Von Erich wasn't born in Texas. Obviously, he was rockstar hot in that area, and that just really surprised me. He was always treated like a son down there.

·
Registered
257 Posts
There's no if we can say of course we would say it and as far as home places go he may be on top of flair or Lawler.

Speaking as a Canadian Bret Hart is royalty here. Hes looked at as a hero and was voted in the top 50 people in our nations history.

Hes one of the top names anyone will talk about in recognition with this country like Terry Fox Wayne Gretzky Shania twain etc...

A large part of brets heritage isn't the fact he's just a Canadian or that he was so good more-so about how he handled being from Canada and made others like myself proud of my heritage due to the hitmans actions.

I am enjoying ECW unreleased volume two it's a really good watch even if certain segments aren't really set matches

SHANE DOUGLAS 2 COLD SCORPIO TV TITLE A MATTER OF RESPECT 5/11/96 **** Great shit.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Austin101 was on the mark with his review of Harper/Ziggler. Only thing on RAW I'll watch, and it was a fun match that was different from their other bouts.

I've been on the TODAY'S WWE SUCKS Bandwagon long enough that I realize I might as well just look at what I do enjoy today.

I have heard people claiming this year was the very worst. I certianly agree that there are parts of this year that made it seem like it was the worst, but I'm not sure it was worse then 1995 or 1993.

On PPV we got a lot of great stuff. As well as about 40 matches that were really terrific.

I think this year is pretty underrated in the sense of how the Wyatt Family and Shield all sort of "ARRIVED." I know the Shield arguably arrived at Elimination Chamber 2013 but they were more cemented this year.

I'm going to wait until they tie up loose ends before I pass judgment on a lot of the stuff this year. (Authority Storyline, Sting, how they handle the Rumble, Lesnar, Ambrose, Rollins, etc, etc)

Reason I quoted you is because two of the things I've liked most about the second half of 2014 where I have watched each show are Luke Harper and Dolph Ziggler.

The programs these guys specifically Ziggler have been in the last few months in the IC title division have more then given back credibility to that beautiful white piece of gold.

The match with Cesaro on SD, Orton on Raw in October, then his series with Harper here. Harper despite losing looks like an awesome heel, lunatic, tough as nails SOB.

They are really booking the matches in this division in a super way.

That's a positive at least.

·
Registered
6,246 Posts
I'm trying to sell a friend on the greatness of Dolph Ziggler. His ten best matches. Go.........

·
ゴゴゴゴゴゴ&#
3,168 Posts
I'm trying to sell a friend on the greatness of Dolph Ziggler. His ten best matches. Go.........
vs. Del Rio - Payback 2013
vs. Daniel Bryan - Bragging Rights 2010
vs. Rey Mysterio - Night of Champions 2009
vs. Rey Mysterio - Summerslam 2009
vs. John Morrison - Hell in a Cell 2009
vs. Edge - Royal Rumble 2011
vs. CM Punk - Raw the night after Survivor Series 2011
vs. John Morrison- Survivor Series 2011
vs. CM Punk - Royal Rumble 2012
vs. Sheamus - No Way Out 2012

That's what I could think of at the top of my head

·
Registered
6,246 Posts
vs. Del Rio - Payback 2013
vs. Daniel Bryan - Bragging Rights 2010
vs. Rey Mysterio - Night of Champions 2009
vs. Rey Mysterio - Summerslam 2009
vs. John Morrison - Hell in a Cell 2009
vs. Edge - Royal Rumble 2011
vs. CM Punk - Raw the night after Survivor Series 2011
vs. John Morrison- Survivor Series 2011
vs. CM Punk - Royal Rumble 2012
vs. Sheamus - No Way Out 2012

That's what I could think of at the top of my head
You sir fucking rock the casbah!

·
Ho!
18,261 Posts
My top 10 Ziggler matches:

1) vs. Del Rio - PB 2013
2) vs. Punk Raw November 2011
3) vs. Bryan BR 2010
4) vs. Edge RR 2011
5) vs. Cesaro Main Event 7/10/2013
6) vs. Barrett Raw 6/23/2014
7) vs. Harper TLC 2014
8) vs. Miz Raw 9/22/2014
9) vs. Del Rio MITB 2013
10) vs. Sheamus NWO 2012

·
Le Champion
18,816 Posts
Bruh, just show your friend the main event from Survivor Series this year. If that doesn't make him root his little heart out for the guy, I'm not sure if anything will.

BUT if it doesn't,

Couple other Ziggler matches that I thought were damn good through the years:

vs. Sheamus (Main Event 1/9/2013)
vs. Del Rio (Main Event 2/13/2013)
vs. Del Rio vs. Sheamus (Main Event March 2014 IC Title #1 contender's match)

Yeah, Ziggler has some sweet chemistry with those dudes. That 3-way is totally fun.

·
Registered
4,230 Posts
Watched some HBK/Taker matches in the last few days, and I don't think that this is debatable, 100% sure that no other wrestlers had such an amazing chemistry in the ring

HBK/Taker- Ground Zero: ***3/4
HBk/Taker- BB 97- *****
HBK/Taker- RR 98: ***1/2
HBK/Taker- WM25: *****
HBK/Taker: Wm 26: ****3/4

·
Premium Member
5,764 Posts
Gone done watching the 8th March 2001 Smackdown, the build to Triple H/Taker has now started. I was going to ask, was this the original plan, or was something else mentioned regarding Triple H for WM17?
I was reading about original WrestleMania plans a while ago, and iirc, they were thinking of doing Triple H vs Ray Lewis at WM17.

glad we got the Taker match instead.

·
Registered
257 Posts
As far as match chemistry goes its always going to be a subjective thing but I'll easily take the series of matches between Brock and angle, benoit and angle, Benoit and regal, guerrero and malenko and especially Bret and austin as well as flair and steamboat over Shawn and taker. You don't think it's debatable but I assure you it is.

Bret Austin Sun City 9/14/96 ****
Bret Austin Survivor Series 11/17/96 *****
Bret Austin Wrestlemania 3/23/97 *****
Bret Austin IYH ROTT 4/17/97 ****
Raw FALLS COUNT ANYWHERE 97 *** 1/2

They also were both major parts in the final four main event **** 1/2 and of course leaders in the tag match at Canadian stampede **** 3/4

Flair Steamboat

CHI TOWN 2/20/89 *****
COTC **** 1/2
landsgrove event March 89 **** {Meltzer gave this five stars)
WRESTLEWAR 5/7/89 *****
SATURDAY NIGHT 5/14/94 **** 1/4
SPRING STAMPEDE 94 **** 1/4

Brock Angle

Wrestlemania **** 3/4
SUMMERSLAM **** 1/2
SD ironman **** 3/4

Benoit Angle

Wrestlemania X7 ****
backlash 01 ultimate submission **** 1/2
jday 2/3 falls **** 1/4
cage match raw June 01 **** 1/2
Unforgiven 2002 **** 3/4
royal rumble 03 *****
Sd Feb 03 ****

And ya know not to even mention all the Times they we're apart of the same matches in the sd six tags triple threats fatal fourways

Benoit Regal

wcw nitro 12/02/96 ****
Brian pillman tribute show 2000 ****
wwe velocity May 05 **** 1/2
wwe velocity October 05 **** 1/4
wwe velocity 06 **** 1/2
WWE NO MERCY 06 **** 1/4

Shawn Taker

Ground zero ** 1/2
bad blood **** 3/4
royal rumble *** 1/2
WM 25 **** 1/2
WM 26 **** 1/4

Interesting top ten lists for ziggler more so because There weren't many mentions from 2014, the guy has just killed it the last few months.

But like russo just wrote who is Dolph Ziggler and why should I care? No character development and when they do give him any time to say anything on the Mic its just about the corniest thing you'll ever hear outside of cena.

I am really big on Dolph so this disappoints me.

·
Banned
5,106 Posts
With 2014 coming to a close, I'd like to use this opportunity to take a look back at the year in WWE, and name, in my opinion, the top 10 PPV matches this year. This does not include special events, so don't expect to see Neiville/Zayn, and I rate these matches in terms of overall critical reaction from fans and my personal reaction to them as well, and I'll give my personal review of the matches and why I feel they are so great.

So lets get started.

10: Evolution vs The Shield Extreme Rules ***3/4

Kicking off this list is the six man battle between the recently reformed Evolution and the Shield. Both groups had something to prove in this match up, and those who were expecting an all out war weren't disappointed. The pace of this match started off good and was kept that way through out, with Evolution playing their part very well in the match. When the Shield gained the advantage, all three men got their chance at glory, and it was executed very nicely. As soon in the image posted, one of the highlights of this match included an insane diving spot from Seth Rollins onto Ambrose, Orton and Triple H, providing a fitting moment for a PPV titled "Extreme Rules". It was a crazy battle, and both sides looked great. The Shield would come out on top in this one, and you'll hear no complaints from me regarding that decision.

9. Cesaro vs Sheamus (c) for the United States Championship Night of Champions ****

These two have incredible chemistry together, and that much goes without saying. With both possessing main event level-type talent, it's a shame these two aren't fighting these battles in the main event slot. The Celtic Warrior and King of Swing found themselves battling for the United States title at Payback earlier in the year, but it's their encounter at Night of Champions that earn them their spot on this list. The match possessed an incredible amount of very well timed action and spots that helped tell the story of two juggernauts attempting to outlast the other. Both looked incredible, and the near fall sequences at the end of the match where very well done. Top it off with a good amount of match time being given, and you've got yourself a recipe for an incredibly fun match. It served its purpose, and helped save Night of Champions from being a total bore. Sheamus would come out on top in this battle, and if you are a fan of the in ring work of Cesaro and Sheamus, this is a match for you to watch even if I just ruined the ending for you.

8. Dolph Ziggler vs Luke Harper (c) Ladder Match for the Intercontinental Championship Tables, Ladders, Chairs and Stairs ****

Up next on this list is what many described has an outright brutal contest between two outstanding in ring performers in Dolph Ziggler and Luke Harper. When this match was announced, it was highly anticipated by many, and it did not disappoint. From an experience of attending TLC and being able to witness this match in person, I can say that many who where in attendance were wow'd by the match, and it's not hard to see why. It was an absolutely crazy and physical match, with some creative uses of the ladder by Luke Harper to brutalize Ziggler through out the contest, as well as some very cool counters by Ziggler himself to inflict damage on Harper. While the ending to the match may have left a lot to be desired, this was none the less a great way to perform a ladder match. Rather than focus on big high impact spots, both guys instead made it a goal to have each other get the shit beat out of them, even resulting in both drawing blood at one point. Ziggler would come out on top, giving his hometown of Cleveland (lol) something to be happy about, until the rest of the event happened and they apparently stopped caring.

7. Luke Harper and Eric Rowan vs The Usos (c) 2 out of 3 falls match for the WWE Tag Team Championships Money in the Bank ****1/4

When it came to tag team matches, both of these teams were having a great year. They seemed to have a great match with just about anyone they went up against. After their first encounter, and with the edition of the best 2 out of 3 falls stipulation, this match was highly anticipated and greatly lived up to expectations. The Wyatt Family looked incredible in this match, as both Harper and Rowan had some great moments. One includes a double suplex spot off the top rope by Rowan onto both Jimmy and Jey. The Usos of course did their part as well, providing their usual in ring action to blend in nicely with the styles of Harper and Rowan. What really made this match so great however was the crowd involvement and their use of the stipulation. The first two falls of the match where taken care of early, and we had a nice amount of time before the third fall would take place. They took advantage of this and used numerous near fall instances to surprise us and keep the pace of the match going. Meanwhile, the crowd was really into this match, and brought out the feel of the match. It felt like a main event-type of match, with Rowan even managing to kick out of the Usos finisher at one point. This is how tag team matches should be done, and if you enjoy tag team matches, I strongly recommend you watch this.

6. Daniel Bryan vs Batista vs Randy Orton (c) Triple Threat Match for the WWE World Heavyweight Championship Wrestlemania XXX ****1/4

The story behind this match is pretty incredible. Before this, we were supposed to have Batista vs Randy Orton happen, in what could have possibly went down as one of, if not, the worst Wrestlemania main event match of all time had it happened. Instead, Daniel Bryan was inserted into the match due to an unbelievable amount of fan support demanding his placement into this match. Coming off of a match with Triple H earlier that night, Bryan was a huge underdog coming into the match, along with a shoulder injury as well. They did an outstanding job with this, as most of Bryan's offense starting out came at moments where Orton and Batista where caught off guard, so all three still looked strong through out this match. We saw frequent exchanges between Orton and Batista, playing to the tension between them, but eventually, they decided to get rid of Bryan all together and pulled off a very cool double finisher combo on the announcers table. We saw great in ring action, great pacing, a few heart pounding near falls at the end that had us at the edge of our seats, and the storytelling was fantastic. In the end, Daniel Bryan made Batista tap out to the yes lock, and the long time demands of fans was finally completed. Daniel Bryan became WWE World Heavyweight Champion in the main event of Wrestlemania 30, something that I would have never imagined would happen when he first came into the WWE.

5. Bray Wyatt vs John Cena Last Man Standing Payback ****1/2

I don't know what it is with Last Man Standing matches, but for what ever reason, these seem to be the matches that Cena thrives in. He always puts on his best performance, and I think his understanding of storytelling is one of the reasons. After a horrible Steel Cage match at Extreme Rules, these two knew they had to step up big time in this match to make up for it. Well, they did.

Playing nicely to the feud between the Usos and the other members of the Wyatt family, they had the Usos help Cena during this match against Bray, who had Harper and Rowan out with him to start out the match. This benefited the match greatly in my opinion, as it prevented it from being a total mess and instead kept things focused between Bray and Cena. The pace of the match was great for a LMS match, they played with the concept very well and didn't go overboard with it. When Harper and Rowan came back, and the Usos came back as well, they where used very well and set up some damn good spots to keep them out of the match. Both Bray and Cena looked great in this match, the action was great and wasn't all over the place like their Steel Cage match. I don't really know how else to describe this match, you just simply have to watch it to understand what I'm talking about. Cena would come out on top in this match, in a move that angered many, but in the end, both guys looked great. Very good match and a very good finish to their feud.

4. Daniel Bryan vs Triple H Wrestlemania XXX ****1/2

Make no mistake about it, this match should have happened a long time ago. But all that matters now is that it finally did happen, and while there is a lot of significant meaning behind this match, I will not focus on that. This match is overshadowed by the main event, as it should considering how it had the better finish and had Bryan finally winning the big one. With that said, however, the beginning, middle, and near end cannot be ignored, which is what I will focus on here. This might be one of the most well put together matches ever. The flow in this match is incredible. Nothing feels forced. From the very beginning, you know what the story of this match is. Triple H doesn't take Bryan seriously, and Bryan takes advantage of this. Hunter eventually uses the kayfabe shoulder injury to his advantage, and he does a great job using it to play the heel role in this match, which in my opinion is what's so great about it. It goes back to the old days of when Ric Flair would play the heel role to near perfection in his matches. Hunter not only made Bryan look like a true underdog who has what it takes to beat anyone, he made him look like a main eventer. Along with that, you have great in ring action, great emotion, and damn good back and forth sequences between Triple H and Bryan. Bryan would go on to win this match in a finish that seemed to come out of no where, but none the less, this match was great and lived up to its hype.

3. Team Authority (Seth Rollins, Kane, Luke Harper, Rusev and Mark Henry) vs Team Cena (John Cena, Dolph Ziggler, Eric Rowan, Big Show and Ryback) Traditional Survivor Series Match Survivor Series ****3/4

This match was built up big by the WWE, and they treated it as one of the most important matches of all time. Now, of course, we know they do that all the time, but this match indeed felt big. The atmosphere, the drama, what was at stake, and most importantly, we weren't really sure how it was going to end. And then this match started. And we were all immediately caught off guard by Mark Henry being eliminated right off the bat by the Big Show. From there on out, the greatness of this match was put on display.

Every person (besides Henry of course) had their moments to shine. They where given their fifteen minutes of fame. There was an incredible balance of action to go along with the great pacing of the match. Rusev was great in his short amount of time, Ryback was great, Rowan was great, hell even Big Show wasn't bad. In fact I found myself enjoying his in ring work in this match, because he got straight to the point rather than stall for time like he usually does. This was already turning out to be a very good traditional survivor series match.

And then the last fifteen or so minutes of the match happened. Dolph Ziggler ended up being the only one on his team left against Kane, Harper and Rollins. And what resulted was truly something special. Ziggler fought for his life against all three men, and eventually managed to eliminate Kane and Harper. Then it was down to him and Rollins. The sequences and action between them was outstanding, and the emotion was incredible. The crowd was really into this match, and they where on the edge of their seat. And then came the debut that was 12+ years in the making. Finally, after all of this time, Sting finally debuted in the WWE. And he made a big impact, costing Triple H and team authority the match against Team Cena, and ultimately giving Cena's team the win. But at this point, it wasn't about Cena, it was about Dolph Ziggler, who was responsible for the elimination of four members of team Authority (he got out of the way when Rusev tried to dive onto him on the announce table, causing Rusev's count out elimination). Outstanding booking, outstanding emotion, outstanding match.

2. Daniel Bryan vs Bray Wyatt Royal Rumble ****3/4

This match was surprisingly underrated pretty badly by Dave Meltzer, only getting a **** rating. Never the less, many others felt that this was an incredible match between two people who had been feuding for quite some time now, but never had an actual one on one match. This match occurred at the peak of the yes movement, which was going strong after fans learned that Bryan would not be competing in the Royal Rumble that night. Never the less, this match delivered, in every way possible. We saw some awesome spots from both Bryan and Bray in this match, including an insane finisher spot where Bray caught Bryan after he dove through the second rope to the outside, and hit his sister Abigail finisher on Bryan onto the barricade. They did a great job focusing on Bryan's head and neck, which Bray used to utilize his advantage. Bryan's comeback points where done very well, and the story they told was excellent. The selling, flow and overall match was just done so nicely, there's not a whole lot they could have done to make this match any better than it already was. But what really got this match higher on the list was the crowd involvement. They were really into it and made the match a hell of a lot funner than it should have been. It goes without saying that no one expected this match to be this good before it happened. That's the greatness of Daniel Bryan for ya (who, by the way, lost this match, which pissed off his fans even further).

1. The Shield vs The Wyatt Family Six Man Tag Team Match Elimination Chamber *****

And this years winner is the same type of match that I started out this list with, a six man tag team match only this time there are different opponents for the Shield, the Wyatt Family. Fans wanted this match to happen for months, these two factions received critical acclaim from many fans. They were the two big three man stables that had been around for a significant amount of time. This was a match that just needed to happen. And when rumors of the Shield breaking up at the Rumble, EC or even Wrestlemania where occurring, it looked like this match wasn't going to happen. Thankfully, it did.

This was, surprisingly, another match that got underrated by Meltzer, only getting a ****1/4 rating. A good rating, sure, but underwhelming for something like this. I can't say why, because there's just so many things that are right about this match that you just have to see it to understand what I am talking about. Before, I gave this match a ****3/4 rating, but now, I feel that this match deserves the full *****, because I don't see anything about this match that is wrong with it. There's nothing I would change. From start to finish, this match is done perfectly. Even Reigns does a great job in this match. Yes. Mother fucking Roman Reigns was actually great in this. Anything that you want in a match, whether it be great storytelling and psychology, great in ring action, great crowd involvement, big drama, near falls, great booking, this match has it all. This match will go down as a undermined classic, as it wasn't even a contender for match of the year by WWE at the slammys. None the less, it's my match of the year for this list, and I'm sure I'm not the only one who thinks this.

Again, if you are a Pro Wrestling fan, and you enjoy good matches, watch this match. Even if you aren't a WWE fan, even if you haven't seen their product in a long time because you think it's shit, that's fine, but find a way to see this match. You will not be disappointed.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Great work that was a fantastic read and I agree with a lot of those ecen if the rathings are slightly different.

I guess my favourite marches from this year not on your list would beWyatts shield raw 3/3/14 Ambrose vs Rollins 8/18/14 fca but you covered the basics.

Also both mitb ladder matches especially the one won by Rollins it was a good year for PPV matches I enjoyed that thanks

5161 - 5180 of 10019 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.