Wrestling Forum banner

161 - 180 of 2987 Posts

·
Registered
45,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #161
I see another filler match making it to Battleground for the Women, but I guess Charlotte vs Sasha could have a dirty finish to stretch out to the obvious championship win for Sasha at the "bigger" event. Interesting to note that this is going to be the first championship match between em where the alignments are switched. Good to know to see if they can change it up from their prior great series of matches on NXT. Just a shame once this is over, the division has absolutely no depth that idk where Sasha will go following. If only they signed names who could work.

Then there's guaranteed to be another Cena vs Styles/The Club match for the card. So it's looking to possibly be an unusually stacked card w/SummerSlam right around the corner. While this is all speculation from one RAW, other than the confirmed main event, I've also felt this is a good example as to why WWE changing the format to their PPVs would help these days. B PPVs back at two hours, and the big traditions that have been around for years at the full three hours, or longer. It won't happen, but I've kicked this idea around in my head for a year and a half now. This would actually pad the idea of stretching out feuds longer than they should go on, as WWE currently is fixated w/.

Now, I should try and finish Unforgiven 04 so I can get back to watching the weekly TV. PPV is bad, so it's not making a good argument to put it on atm. A La Resistance match & a 24 minute Triple H match are all that remain. *sigh* The RAWs building up to this were so damn fun, too. Benoit is keeping up his MVP status on the year, though. I miss that guy.

·
Registered
5,670 Posts
That was only me trying to justify why they'd run the triple threat match already. I don't really care as much as others for the long term plan or what they do after the draft, because I certainly want them to go all out at Battleground. Give me the 3 way, give me Charlotte/Sasha, give me the Owens/Zayn blowoff, give me everything they got!

What year are you referring to? Most of the Battleground cards have been pretty average and not really translated to Summerslam directly.

What was the last PPV you went to?
The show I was referring too was the 2014 one, after research. Jericho and Wyatt, AJ Lee and Paige, Ambrose and Rollins (which ended up not really happening... but was the reason 99% of people watched the show), Swagger and Rusev - all would wind up on SS a month later as rematches.

·
Registered
45,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #163
Watched a handful of random other things instead of the remainder of the PPV. Proper decision. Raven vs Benoit 2/12/98, Callihan vs Havoc Cage of Death, Kobashi vs Shiozaki 1/23/05, and:

Rey Mysterio vs Jamie Noble - WWE: Velocity 5/1/04

Well I LOVED this.

Noble was often described as "Benoit Jr" backstage, as many have gone on to state. I can't think of a better match during his entire WWE tenure that best describes that personality trait to be true than this match.Statements of him working like a pitbull were on full display. He was on Mysterio like white on rice, like a fly on shit, like a shark who smelled blood in the water. We're talking every cliche in the book level systematic assault. T'was glorious.Even the idea of quelling any attempt at a momentum change type formatting from Noble. Opposed to a long limb assault and basic babyface comeback, Mysterio found himself dead to rights a number of times before eeking out the victory. That kind of working from below, and that "below" is about 3 feet deeper than usual. Fairly one of a kind Mysterio type match, too. Instead of it being a common spectacle, Rey kept trying a lot to beat Noble at his own game.They trade headlocks for the first sequence, Rey not wanting to concede in any of the ground warfare vs the more commonly preferred in the area opponent. It backfired on Rey eventually to where Noble would totally engulf him for the bulk of this, destroying his arm. But the mentality to see Rey want to focus in on a completely different side to winning matches was such a neat, honestly fascinating concept. There's something about this human chess logic of Noble tearing up Rey's arm for a lot of this, even though the idea that targeting the legs would be more "logical" to stop any signature offense in its tracks. This is a good example of what Malenko vs Mysterio from GAB tried to be. Instead of sitting on a limb for x amount of minutes w/no addition towards the finish, all of Noble's hard fought efforts stuck out from start to finish. I can go out and simply say "b/c Noble is better at working on top, dictating a match" than Malenko, but I like to extend beyond simple associations. Mysterio playing ball in selling at all the proper times did Noble a ton of favors. Couple in the strategic counters at all the most surprising times (seriously did NOT expect that sunset flip countered into a Northern Lights near fall. INCREDIBLE.) All variables of a honest to goodness struggle to win an competitive wrestling match was here in spades. Is Noble one of the more forgotten geniuses at body control? b/c his movements during a few sequences were out of this world in the match. The body slam, holding onto the wristlock in one motion, like it's not even something that remotely takes an ounce of effort. Again things you can kind of overuse when talking about pro graps, but when you see it like how it was done here, it really sends the message home. Rey was awesome here, and Noble was on a completely different level. If some haven't seen his terrific ROH tenure to kind of "sell you" on what he's capable of as a whole, this is the ideal match to do so. The kind of cruiserweight match you wished you were spoiled enough to get all the time.

·
NO PAIN!
5,277 Posts
That was only me trying to justify why they'd run the triple threat match already. I don't really care as much as others for the long term plan or what they do after the draft, because I certainly want them to go all out at Battleground. Give me the 3 way, give me Charlotte/Sasha, give me the Owens/Zayn blowoff, give me everything they got!

What year are you referring to? Most of the Battleground cards have been pretty average and not really translated to Summerslam directly.

What was the last PPV you went to?
No Way Out 2005. The worst part? I was invited to go to No Way Out 2006 the following year, chose not to because I'm a fucking idiot, and ended up missing seeing Taker/Angle live while my 2 best friends got to see it.

Yea, fuck me right?

·
Registered
5,670 Posts
I see another filler match making it to Battleground for the Women, but I guess Charlotte vs Sasha could have a dirty finish to stretch out to the obvious championship win for Sasha at the "bigger" event. Interesting to note that this is going to be the first championship match between em where the alignments are switched. Good to know to see if they can change it up from their prior great series of matches on NXT. Just a shame once this is over, the division has absolutely no depth that idk where Sasha will go following. If only they signed names who could work.

Then there's guaranteed to be another Cena vs Styles/The Club match for the card. So it's looking to possibly be an unusually stacked card w/SummerSlam right around the corner. While this is all speculation from one RAW, other than the confirmed main event, I've also felt this is a good example as to why WWE changing the format to their PPVs would help these days. B PPVs back at two hours, and the big traditions that have been around for years at the full three hours, or longer. It won't happen, but I've kicked this idea around in my head for a year and a half now. This would actually pad the idea of stretching out feuds longer than they should go on, as WWE currently is fixated w/.

Now, I should try and finish Unforgiven 04 so I can get back to watching the weekly TV. PPV is bad, so it's not making a good argument to put it on atm. A La Resistance match & a 24 minute Triple H match are all that remain. *sigh* The RAWs building up to this were so damn fun, too. Benoit is keeping up his MVP status on the year, though. I miss that guy.
Becky and/or Dana programs, then Bayley leading to WM next year, I guess.

·
Le Champion
18,652 Posts
No Way Out 2005. The worst part? I was invited to go to No Way Out 2006 the following year, chose not to because I'm a fucking idiot, and ended up missing seeing Taker/Angle live while my 2 best friends got to see it.

Yea, fuck me right?
Well, at least you can say you saw a show headlined by the best Fozzy song ever made. :lol

·
Dios perdona, los Perros... NO!
3,915 Posts
Reigns got Wellness'd today. He'll be back in time for Battleground (just), but you have to wonder how this will change their direction. They knew of his failure before the title change, fwiw.

·
NO PAIN!
5,277 Posts
Well, at least you can say you saw a show headlined by the best Fozzy song ever made. :lol
Unfortunately I can't even say that. I spent the majority of that show puking my guts out in the Mellon Arena bathroom. My friends and I had the bright idea to wear Camelbaks filled with a mix of Everclear (180 proof grain alcohol), Fruit Punch Gatorade, and Red Bull. I punished mine before the opening match was even finished, and thus I don't remember much from that night at all, and I didn't even remember Fozzy played until you just told me :lmao

I was 17 and stupid, what can I say. :eek:

·
NOTORIOUS
6,837 Posts
Y'all better get out there and watch Smackdown for Zayn vs. Rollins. Cesaro vs. ADR was good too.

ADR/Cesaro - ***1/4
Zayn/Rollins - ***3/4 (and they only had 10-12 minutes)

·
Registered
45,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #171
A match I care to see today and it only goes 12 minutes? That's a great thing. Really ideal duration to make something good happen, over dragging a match out to be long to enforce how "good" they want to claim it is. (*cough New Japan cough*) Given their history of matches too, they work well in that window.

At least I'm finally getting the match I wanted p. quickly. Shades of Night of the Butcher II going on. (I was so excited to see the match happen for the first time. Those memories.) If only this was actually a feud atm. Perhaps later.

Like the sound of Cesaro vs Del Rio a lot, too.

Reigns got Wellness'd today. He'll be back in time for Battleground (just), but you have to wonder how this will change their direction. They knew of his failure before the title change, fwiw.
Shame. WWE plays fast and loose on who it wants to be vindictive towards for their faults, but I can see this having a mild effect for a spell. Already kind of has given the events of the past two shows. Ambrose might make it to SummerSlam as champion, after all.

----------

Revision: Cena vs Orton from SummerSlam 2007 is very, very good. Way better than I ever remembered. Glad I'm on board w/this now. Feels locked it is their best match vs each other, probably even over NWO 08. Might as well have happened during Cena's awesome 07 reign & the remnants of Orton's prime.

·
Registered
45,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #173
Another irrational, befuddling Cal thought here, it seems. :cal2

It's too early for me to be clever I guess, so just imagine I put a zinger to associate Goodfellas in this post.

·
Registered
45,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #175
But how does it rank on the > than Undertaker vs Austin Backlash 2002 scale?

The true clever test.

·
Registered
45,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #177
You know you're kind of the only person who actually likes the Backlash match. We give you banter on it all the time.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Taker vs Lesnar vs Big Show from a random episode of SD 2003 is really good, like some chaos they fit into the space of 10-15 minutes. Taker vs Angle from the next week is far superior but this was a lot of fun, don't sleep on it.

·
NOTORIOUS
6,837 Posts
A match I care to see today and it only goes 12 minutes? That's a great thing. Really ideal duration to make something good happen, over dragging a match out to be long to enforce how "good" they want to claim it is. (*cough New Japan cough*) Given their history of matches too, they work well in that window.

At least I'm finally getting the match I wanted p. quickly. Shades of Night of the Butcher II going on. (I was so excited to see the match happen for the first time. Those memories.) If only this was actually a feud atm. Perhaps later.

Like the sound of Cesaro vs Del Rio a lot, too.
I got pretty excited when it was 9:36pm and Rollins entrance hit. I was thinking "wow, they're really going to get 15-20 minutes in the SD main event". Still fit a lot in and got a really good match out of the 12 minutes, though.

In typical WWE fashion, I'd expect Rollins vs. Zayn to have a rematch on Raw that eventually breaks down into a tag team main event of Rollins/Owens vs. Ambrose/Zayn.

·
Registered
45,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #180
I'll have a good reason to jump on Smackdown quicker than usual tonight to check it out. Curious to see what they make out of nothing in the mold of an exhibition main event on the B show. There's no doubt they'll probably rack up a decent number of matches vs each other being employed by WWE. Gonna be interesting that it's one of those "popular indie worker pairings" that didn't really have many matches vs each other pre WWE. I count only three singles matches, and then a few tags in ROH.

161 - 180 of 2987 Posts