Wrestling Forum banner

2961 - 2980 of 2990 Posts

·
#1 Somamaniac
13,620 Posts
Watched the match for a very similar "project" and I thought it was excellent. It was given a large amount of time, which shocked me more than it should've, and they used every time so effectively. I think the match had a rep of shoehorning call backs to their indie runs without any real value (forgot where I heard that) but I was happy to see that the match was much more than that. A big plus for both guys resume of great matches. Shame their MITB didn't reach that standard. In another universe, it could've been one of the best feuds in WWE history. Oh well.

·
Registered
3,101 Posts

WCW “Fall Brawl”
September 12th, 1999
From the Lawrence Joel Veterans Memorial Coliseum in Winston-Salem, North Carolina
Commentators: Tony Schiavone, Bobby “the Brain” Heenan and Mike Tenay

“Can Sting trust Hulk Hogan or Lex Luger?”

Tonight: Hulk Hogan verses Sting for the WCW World Heavyweight Championship and Chris Benoit defends the United States Championship against the 79-0 Sid Vicious

Vampiro & the Insane Clown Posse vs. Rey Mysterio Jr., Eddie Guerrero & Billy Kidman
Say what you want about the Insane Clown Posse; the fact that they still do wrestling twenty years after this should endure them to wrestling fans that they were there for no other reason other than that they wanted to be. That said they were extremely sloppy and green in this match, especially Shaggy 2 Dope. The crowd was extremely hot. Hotter than I’ve ever heard a WCW crowd.
Winners: Rey Mysterio Jr., Billy Kidman & Eddie Guerrero

The Revolution guarantee a clean sweep in all their matches tonight.

Recap of Lenny recently winning the WCW Cruiserweight Championship and Kaz Hayashi pinning him to win a match...a match that he was wrestling against Lodi...oh, WCW.

For the WCW Cruiserweight Championship
Kaz Hayashi vs. Lenny (champion) w/Lodi
This was a solid match that really didn’t matter.
Winner: Lenny

Mean Gene Okerlund brings Sting out to the ring. Sting says he has no problem with Hulk Hogan...until he gets in the ring with him tonight.

Video package of the Revolution’s feud with the First Family.

No Disqualifications
The First Family (Brian Knobs and Hugh Morris) w/Jimmy Hart vs. the Revolution (Shane Douglas and Dean Malenko)
The best part of this was Shane Douglas getting the Saginaw, Michigan crowd pumped up for the match. I can see saying the wrong city but he was over six hundred and fifty miles off. And of all the wrong cities to name, “Saginaw”? The match started out as a brawl but after the first five or so minutes became a standard wrestling match.
Winners: the First Family

Perry Saturn verses Rick Steiner promo.

For the WCW World Television Championship
Perry Saturn vs. Rick Steiner (champion)
This was a decent “big man” match but I really couldn’t get invested in.
Winner: Rick Steiner

Mean Gene Okerlund is with Hulk Hogan who swears he will not stab Sting in the back.

Berlyn w/the Wall vs. “Hacksaw” Jim Duggan
Considering this was Berlyns in-ring debut it went on way longer than it should have and Duggan got way too much offence in.
Winner: Berlyn
Buff Bagwell (who was supposed to have wrestled Berlyn in the previous match) just arrived at the arena. He goes to the ring and thanks Duggan for filling in for him but Duggan doesn’t seem impressed by his show of affection.

For the WCW World Tag Team Championships
Harlem Heat vs. the West Texas Rednecks (champions) w/Curt Hennig
This was a good Tag Team Match. I was really hoping Curly Bill would do a run-in.
Winners: Harlem Heat (new WCW World Tag Team Champions)

For the WCW United States Championship
Sid Vicious vs. Chris Benoit (champion)
This was okay. Benoit took a lot of shots to the head.
Winner: Sid Vicious (new WCW United States Champion and now 80-0)

Diamond Dallas Page vs. Goldberg
This didn’t have quite the fire of their match eleven months earlier at Halloween Havoc 1998 but it was still a much better wrestling match than you'd usually get from Goldberg.
Winner: Goldberg

For the WCW World Heavyweight Championship
Sting vs. Hulk Hogan (champion)
I was watching WCW in late-1999 but I have virtually no memory of Hogan going back to red and yellow and holding the World Heavyweight Championship. The ending was as should be expected with Diamond Dallas Page, Bret Hart, Sid Vicious and Lex Luger all running in before Sting pulled the turn and double-crossed Hogan.
Winner: Sting (new WCW World Heavyweight Champion)
______________________________________________________________________________________
This wasn’t too bad a show. It felt like a b-show. Nothing had that important feel to it. Even the main event. I was really surprised how much the crowd was into the entire show. Late-1999 WCW is often seen as a company in the early stages of dying but you wouldn’t have known that here. The first match was fun and the last four matches were good enough. Diamond Dallas Page verses Goldberg was the highlight.

The Revolution lost every single one of their matches.

This was the first Fall Brawl to not have a War Games match. The icon on the WWE Network said "WCW Fall Brawl: War Games" and that's why I chose it.

From Wikipedia:
Berlyn was originally supposed to face Buff Bagwell, but the storyline was that Bagwell was late in arriving. In reality, Bagwell had refused to lose the match. Instead Berlyn wrestled against Jim Duggan.

·
Registered
10,592 Posts
Hi everyone. It's been forever since I posted on here. Not sure if anyone remembers me, but I remember when this forum used to be busy with discussion. Sad to see that the last post was 3 months ago. Would be nice to hear from guys like Cal, Yeah1993 and SegundaCaida again. Hope you all are doing well.

·
Le Champion
18,717 Posts
Hi everyone. It's been forever since I posted on here. Not sure if anyone remembers me, but I remember when this forum used to be busy with discussion. Sad to see that the last post was 3 months ago. Would be nice to hear from guys like Cal, Yeah1993 and SegundaCaida again. Hope you all are doing well.
Forum went to complete shit mate. Discussion has tapered off everywhere since the change. =/

·
Registered
10,592 Posts
Forum went to complete shit mate. Discussion has tapered off everywhere since the change. =/
Damn. I new layout really isn't pleasing on the eyes. I lost my account info some years ago. The last time I posted was late 2014. I see a few OGs are still around. I wonder if anyone moved over to Wreddit? Seems to be the new place to discuss wrestling. It's just so sad to see this community die. I joined when I was 15 and spent most of my teenage years here. Oh well, I guess like all good things....

·
Le Champion
18,717 Posts
Damn. I new layout really isn't pleasing on the eyes. I lost my account info some years ago. The last time I posted was late 2014. I see a few OGs are still around. I wonder if anyone moved over to Wreddit? Seems to be the new place to discuss wrestling. It's just so sad to see this community die. I joined when I was 15 and spent most of my teenage years here. Oh well, I guess like all good things....
I feel ya there. I joined when I was 14. Place just isn't the same anymore. Btw you may remember me as Jack Evans 187 from back in the day.

·
Registered
115 Posts
So is WWE just releasing pay per views on dvd with docs and concepts available on the WWE Network (which I don’t have).

I have always thought a Rise And Fall of the MegaPowers would make a great DVD. Hogan could narrate and maybe Lanny Poffo could give his thoughts on behalf of Savage. A lot of material could be included with matches and interviews From pay per views, SNME, Superstars of Wrestling. I know most or all of the big matches have already been released but I believe a lot of the interviews from Superstars and Brother Love, etc. have not. There may also be a couple of matches that haven’t been released (Savage vs Akeem).

·
Registered
3,101 Posts

WCW “Fall Brawl: War Games”
September 13th, 1998
From the Lawrence Joel Veterans Memorial Coliseum in Winston-Salem, North Carolina
Commentators: Tony Schiavone, Bobby “the Brain” Heenan and Mike Teney

Tonight: Team Hollywood (Hollywood Hogan, Bret Hart and Stevie Ray) verses Team Wolfpack (Kevin Nash, Sting and Lex Luger) verses Team WCW (Diamond Dallas Page, Rowdy Roddy Piper and the Warrior) in a three team War Games March with the winner getting a WCW World Heavyweight Championship title shot against Goldberg next month at Halloween Havoc.

Wow, Bobby Heenan looks like he DOES NOT want to be there.

Backstage, Ernest Miller is fighting with someone.

Gene Okerlund gives a quick rundown of the undercard: Dean Malenko verses Curt Hennig, Scott Steiner verses Rick Steiner and Saturn verses Raven for control of the Flock. Chris Jericho comes out with a “scoop”. He announces that he and Bill Goldberg will have a title-verses-title match tonight!

Disco Inferno & Alex Wright vs. the British Bulldog & Jim “the Anvil” Neidhart
This is the match where the British Bulldog got hurt on that trapdoor in the ring, which pretty much ended his career. You don’t see anything happen and the only time he’s really in visible pain is after an Irish Whip into the ropes towards the beginning. The match was okay. Neidhart looked pretty sluggish. It looked like they were working a little stiff towards the end.
Winners: the British Bulldog & Jim “the Anvil” Neidhart

Gene Okerlund is backstage trying to get a word with Scott Steiner. Steiner says he’s injured so he can’t face his brother tonight. Okerlund doesn’t believe them so he asks JJ Dillon to look into the doctors note that Steiner has. Dillion doesn’t buy it so he tells Steiner he has to wrestle his brother tonight or he’s out of WCW for life.

Chris Jericho gets lost backstage on his way out for his match with Goldberg. Then his pyro doesn’t work. FUCKING CLASSIC!!!!

Title verses Title
Chris Jericho (WCW World Television Champion) vs. “Goldberg”
Yeah so it wasn’t really Goldberg. It wasn’t Gillberg either. I think it was that Roadblock guy with his head shaved. You can imagine how this went.
Winner: Chris Jericho

Rick Steiner is on the internet chat. He doesn’t want to fight his brother tonight but he has to.

Footage from earlier when Mike Teney was doing an interview and Ernest Miller interrupted.

NORMAN SMILEY vs. Ernest “the Cat” Miller
This was a WCW piss-break match.
Winner: Ernest “the Cat” Miller

Recap of the feud between the Steiners.

Scott Steiner w/Buff Bagwell vs. Rick Steiner
This match was going along fine and the crowd was actually into it but then Buff Bagwells neck got injured and the match was called off.
Winner: no contest
The camera follows as Bagwell is taken to an ambulance and finally (after a long time) it’s revealed to be a ruse and they (Scott Steiner and Bagwell) attack Rick Steiner.

Silver King vs. Juventud Guererra (champion)
The crowd was pretty dead for this one but they came alive at the end. It was the best match on the show up until this point, but the bar wasn’t very high.
Winner: Juventud Guererra

Konnan is on the internet chat when his opponent later tonight Scott shall (who is drunk) comes up and throws a drink in Konnans face.

Recap of the drama within the Flock.

Ravens Rules match for control of the Flock
Raven w/Lodi & Kanyon vs. Saturn
There were so many stipulations to this one; all that matters is Raven actually having a match. The match could have and should have been a lot better but it had strange pacing. Something just seemed weird.
Winner: Saturn

An update on Hacksaw Jim Duggan: his cancer surgery was successful.

Recap of the feud between Dean Malenko and Curt Hennig.

Curt Hennig w/Rick Rude vs. Dean Malenko
This could have been a classic and while it was good it wasn’t great.
Winner: Dean Malenko via disqualification
The nWo (Hennig and Rude) attack Malenko and Arn Anderson when he tries to come to the rescue.

Scott Hall w/Vincent and a drink vs. Konnan
This was tough to watch because it was during the “Last Call” Scott Hall angle. The match could have been good (and when it wasn’t focused on Halls demons it was) but it was depressing to see Hall at his lowest...at that point.
Winner: Konnan

War Games Match, winner gets a shot at the WCW World Heavyweight Championship at Halloween Havoc
Team Hollywood (Hollywood Hogan, Bret Hart and Stevie Ray) verses Team Wolfpack (Kevin Nash, Sting and Lex Luger) verses Team WCW (Diamond Dallas Page, Rowdy Roddy Piper and the Warrior)
This was a weirder structured War Games match. It felt more like a Royal Rumble. Even though there were three teams of three it was pretty much every man for themselves since there was only one person who could get the prize. And (even though it didn’t matter in the end) the victorious pinfall could have happened at any time, even when it was just the first two guys in the ring. Overall it wasn’t as brutal as other War Games. The main proposed behind it seemed to be setting up the Hogan verses Warrior match rather than feuds between factions and the title shot at hand. A lot of the guys looked like they were half-assing it because of that. The ending was a wreck.
Winner: Diamond Dallas Page
__
I enjoyed this one. Late-1998 WCW was often a shitshow but something about this one was working. There was some pretty historic stuff. Some of it best left forgotten, such as the British Bulldogs infamous injury and “Last Call” Scott Hall. But there was also Chris Jericho getting lost backstage, which is funny no matter how many times you’ve seen it. Wrestling-wise it was “whatever”. I guess the best matches were the Cruiserweight Championship and Hennig verses Malenko.

I saw a lot of stuff on this show that I’d never seen before. I was watching WCW around this time but think I may have started watching super hardcore the month after this. I’ve never seen the Flock outside of a few clips from WWE smear videos. I’d imagine they were around for a while after this but I don’t remember ever seeing them on Nitro. And I’ve never seen Rick Rudes later run in WCW outside of clips.

The crowd was into some of the show but a lot of times they were more interested in chanting for Ric Flair to return to WCW (I didn’t realize the show was in North Carolina until when I finished up this recap the day after watching). And boy oh boy when they showed the crowd...

·
Registered
3,101 Posts

WWF “Backlash: In Your House”
April 25th, 1999
From the Providence Civic Center in Providence, Rhode Island
Commentators: Jim Ross and Jerry “the King” Lawler

Tonight: Stone Cold Steve Austin defends the WWF Championship against the Rock, and if he touches referee Shane McMahon he will be disqualified.

The Brood vs. the Ministry of Darkness (Bradshaw, Farooq and Midian)
This was a decent match all things considered.
Winners: the Ministry of Darkness via assistance from Viscera

The Rock has arrived with Stone Cold Steve Austin’s Smoking Skull Championship

For the WWF Hardcore Championship
Al Snow w/Head vs. Hardcore Holly (champion)
This was good, stupid fun. A match like this once in a blue moon is fine. Al Snow started bleeding the hard way right at the beginning. My kids loved it when they went backstage.
Winner: Al Snow (new WWF Hardcore Champion)

The Undertaker is backstage with his Ministry preparing them for “His” arrival.

For the WWF Intercontinental Championship
Goldust w/the Blue Meanie vs. the Godfather (champion) w/Five Hoes of varying quality
This was a pretty stupid waste of time.
Winner: the Godfather

Michael Cole is in the bathroom with new Hardcore Champion Al Snow, who’s arguing with Head because she was in the hand Al Snow pinned Hardcore Holly with.

To Determine the #1 Contenders for the WWF Tag Team Championships
The New Age Outlaws vs. Jeff Jarrett & Owen Hart w/De-Bra w/o much clothing on
Yeah watching this was pretty sad since it’s Owens last match on pay per view. I’m certain it wasn’t his last match on TV. This was a lot better than I expected since I expected nothing. Hart and Jarrett were both really good wrestlers and they brought out the best in Road Dogg and Billy Gunn.
Winners: the New Age Outlaws (#1 Contenders to the WWF Tag Team Championships)
Billy Gunn celebrates by showing his ass.

Michael Cole is backstage with Shane McMahon. Shane gives his word that if Austin is able to pin the Rock he will count 1-2-3. He promises because he’s not his father.

Vince McMahon is backstage and he hopes Shane doesn’t believe everything he says. Stephanie McMahon is there. Ah, those fleeting moments before she became unbearable.

Boiler Room Brawl
The Big Show vs. Mankind
This was better than the hardcore match earlier. They destroyed each other. Foley got a BRUTAL cut on his hand early in the match that you could tell was troublesome.
Winner: Mankind
As soon as Mankind exited the Boiler Room the Big Bossman and Test attacked her, but the Big Show came to his defence. I wonder where the Big Show and Bossman angle went?

Michael Cole is with Chyna and Triple H. Did you read that? “Chyna and Triple H”. Note the order.

The Big Show is getting stitched up and his finger...undislocated? Relocated? Popped back into place.

Mankind goes over all the damage from the Boiler Room Brawl and says he doesn’t want to fight the Big Show anymore.

X-Pac vs. Triple H w/Chyna
Fuck I hate X-Pac. And he’s about to become a two-time WWE Hall of Famer. Even worse is when he’s a sympathetic face. The whole match JR was calling for it to end out of fear for his neck. I personally didn’t care then or now. Neither did the crowd really. I swear I heard some boring chants. Chyna was nearing the end of her transition at this point and it was...something. The only thing interesting about this was Kane coming out to save X-Pac and Chynas ass.
Winner: Triple H

Ken Shamrock vs. the Undertaker w/Paul Bearer
This was a “real wrestling match”. These days that’s not uncommon from the Undertaker (well, maybe not “these day since these days his matches are just trainwrecks where you watch though your fingers and hope no one dies) but in 1999 he hadn’t had too many of those. The crowd was not into it. At all. The crowd even started chanting “Goldberg”. That wasn’t good at all. The match was very submission based. Attitude Era fans didn’t want that.
Winner: the Undertaker via interference from Bradshaw
Bradshaw continues to attack Ken Shamrock.

Vince McMahon loads Stephanie McMahon into their limo and goes back into the arena to watch the main event.

No Holds Barred Match for the WWF Championship
The Rock vs. Stone Cold Steve Austin (champion)
Special Referee: Shane McMahon
This was a fun, wild brawl. As far as I can remember the most fun match these two had. I think the footage of the Rock Rock-Bottoming Stone Cold through the Spanish announce table has been used in many WWF/E highlight videos. The Rock was “on” during this match. The best parts where when he grabbed the Spanish announcers headset and gave some commentary and grabbed a camera and gave some “Rock Cam”. Great stuff. Not as dramatic as their Wrestlemania X7 match but just...fun.
Winner: Stone Cold Steve Austin

Stephanie McMahons limo leaves without Vince McMahon and it’s revealed that the Undertaker is driving it.
__
This was a better show than I’m used to from the Attitude era. Wrestling was always secondary in those days but this show had some good matches. No five-star clinics but the Hardcore and Tag Team title matches, the Boiler Room Brawl and the main event were all worth checking out. The Boiler Room Brawl was a real surprise. I thought I read about that match being garbage but I think I was reading about another one. I never even knew there was more than one. The best part was an accident when Mankind took that nasty cut on the hand but that just added another layer. Mankind took such a beating in that match.

I liked the Undertaker alluding to the Higher Powers arrival; which was a little over a month later. In between this show and the Higher Power was the birth of the Corporate Ministry. The whole thing makes me laugh now.

The best part of this show was seeing how not-over Triple H was. His match had no heat and as I alluded to in the recap it was Chyna and Triple H. She was up front and center and he was standing behind her. I’m surprised the WWE didn’t retcon this one for the Network. He was a heel but they’d normally edit in some crowd noise at least. It was funny. He at least did manage to have the longest match on the show (his match was just over 19 minutes; the main event was just over 17). But (and I hate doing this) the following match with the Undertaker and Shamrock had even less heat. The Boiler Room Brawl seemed to suck the life out of the crowd. I can’t blame them. They (the crowd) seemed pissed when the Hardcore match went backstage so having a second match that was ALL backstage was probably a bad idea. The main event had a lot of action outside the ring but it was at least on the arena floor. And at this point Stone Cold Steve Austin could have just sat in the ring playing Game Boy and the crowd would have still been off-the-wall.

And a great plus: no Val Venis. I don’t care about how much of an unlikeable guy he’s become in recent years. He was garbage back then and when he's on it reminds me of why I don’t look back on the Attitude Era too well.

Overall it was a great show. It reminded me that the Attitude Era was good. Not all boobs and catch-phrases. It’s weird that Backlash was always a great show, sometimes even better than Wrestlemania.

·
Banned
3 Posts
Anyone know where I can find that Ki vs. Callihan match from JAPW?? I don't think I even watched much of Callihan (if at all) back in 2011, mostly because I spent that year just devouring 90's All Japan, but I recall being under the impression that he just spent most of that year getting the absolute piss beaten out of him :lmao

·
Registered
3,101 Posts

Ric Flair “the Definitive Collection”

The first disc was a documentary or something but I’ve heard Ric Flairs life story ten times over so I didn’t bother watching it.

Disc 2

Non-title Match from Mid-Atlantic Championship Wrestling on August 18th, 1982
Ric Flair vs. Jack Briscoe
This was a good mat wrasslin’ match but really didn’t offer too much until the final few minutes when Flair pulled out a lot of stuff I didn’t know he ever had in him. That was cool to see.
Winner: Jack Briscoe

From World Class Championship Wrestling on August 24th, 1982
Best 2 out of 3 Falls Match for the NWA World Heavyweight Championship
Ric Flair (champion) vs. Kerry Von Erich
Special Referee: Alfred Neely
This match was really good but it had some dumb referee shenanigans at the end of the first fall that it didn’t need. I don’t like shenanigans. They should have just let them go. But at the same time that stuff did its job of making you hate Flair even more. The whole match ended in chaos and a double disqualification in the third fall, which was a nice change for a 2 out of 3 Falls Match.

From Mid-Atlantic Championship Wresting on August 31st, 1983
For the NWA World Heavyweight Championship
Ric Flair vs. Harley Race (champion)
This match wasn’t as brawny manly as I wanted it to be. Give me Harley Race any day of the week but put him in the ring with a real man, not some bleached blonde pin-up. This was an okay match.

From World Wide Wrestling on December 15th, 1985
Ric Flair, Ole Anderson & Arn Anderson vs. Magnum TA, Dusty Rhodes & Manny Fernandes
Very interesting fact in this match: the commentators were referring to Dusty Rhodes as “Stardust”.
This was a good match with a lot of hatred between the two teams but what really made it special was the electricity of the crowd radiating from the TV. The match was too short. I would like to see the bigger, bloodier finale.
Winners: Ric Flair, Ole Anderson & Arn Anderson

From Clash of Champions on March 27th, 1988
Sting vs. Ric Flair (champion)
JJ Dillon was suspended from a cage for this match. But even more important: Jason Harvey was a judge at ringside. The more 1980’s NWA wrestling I watch the more I realize that Jason Harvey rules. And he’s chatting up Patty Mullen (aka Frankenhooker!!) who was sitting beside him the entire match. I bet Flair had Ole Anderson kick the punk kids ass after the show. Any-hoo, this match was really fucking good. It wasn’t exceptionally violent or brutal. It was just a good back-and-forth match with no stupid outside interference.
Winner: time expired, the judges scored the match 1-1-1...meaning it ended in a draw. That was stupid.

From the Great American Bash on July 23rd, 1989
Ric Flair (champion) vs. Terry Funk
I’ve seen this match (multiple times) but it’s a really good match and I have no problem watching it again. Such a brutal match had such a sudden, quick ending though.
Winner: Ric Flair

Disc 3

From Madison Square Gardens on October 28th, 1991
Ric Flair w/Bobby “the Brain” Hennan vs. “Rowdy” Roddy Piper
This was a pretty good match but the electricity brought it up a notch. It was Flairs first match in Madison Square Gardens and he was facing a red-hot face Roddy Piper. I can only imagine what it was like being in that crowd.

From WCW Spring Stampede on April 17th, 1994
Ricky “the Dragon” Steamboat vs. Ric Flair (champion)
This started out pretty slow but got interesting after about twenty minutes once they’d both gotten exhausted and it became a contest of endurance. But of all the matches I’ve seen these two have this wasn’t my favourite.
Winner: draw

From WWE Taboo Tuesday on November 1st, 2005
Steel Cage Match for the WWE Intercontinental Championship
Triple H vs. Ric Flair (champion)
This was just a blood-bath. But despite all the blood I could help but laugh at how much of a wannabe Triple H was here. He was possibly at his most nauseating outside of DX 2006. There’s “paying tribute” and then there’s “suckling at the teets”. He was suckling at Ric Flairs teets in this match trying to show that he’s just like Flair but it was more like “go away Hunter”.

From Wrestlemania XXIV on March 30th, 2008
Ric Flairs Career on the Line
Shawn Michaels vs. Ric Flair
I don’t think there’s anyone who hasn’t seen this match. It’s lost a lot of its emotional value since it’s been twelve years...and since Flair continued to wrestle afterwards in TNA. But at the time it was great and if you pretend it’s a great ending to an incredible career.
Winner: Shawn Michaels

The set closes with Ric Flairs farewell address on Raw the following night.
___
This was a good set. There are a lot of holes in it and he had a lot of better matches but I’m sure they’re on all the other Ric Flair DVDs the WWE has put out. I could probably walk over to my DVD shelf and read the match listings from the one they put out four or five years before this and see a bunch of better matches are on that one. You know the one. The one with the white cover.

Anyway, this was an enjoyable set. I JUST LIKE WRESTLING!!!!

A lot of these matches were TV matches so there were commercial break fades. But not as many as you’d think considering some of those matches broke thirty minutes.

Since the matches on this set were spaced so far apart Flair flip-flopped between being a heel or being a face every match. That was odd.

Frankenhooker was so hot.

·
Registered
3,101 Posts

WCW “Halloween Havoc 1999”
October 24th, 1999
From the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas, Nevada
Commentators: Tony Schiavone and Bobby “the Brain” Heenan

Tonight: Goldberg challenges Sid Vicious for the WCW United States Championship, Sting defends the WCW World Heavyweight Championship against Hulk Hogan and all the other major titles are on the line.

Breaking News: Rey Mysterio has suffered an injury and cannot compete tonight so he and Konnan have been stripped of the WCW World Tag Team Championships and there will be a six-man Falls Count Anywhere Tag Team Street Fight to determine the new tag team champions.

Disco Inferno (champion) vs. Lash Leroux
This was a damn good match. I can’t believe I’m saying the word “good” in the same block as “Disco Inferno”. I’m going to have to go re-evaluate my life now.

...okay, I’m back.
Winner: Disco Inferno

Footage from earlier in the day when Chris Benoit and Dean Malenko arrived at the arena. Perry Saturn asked them where they’ve been and they tell him that he and Shane Douglas can shove the Revolution up their asses.

Harlem Heat are ready for tonight’s Falls Count Anywhere Street Fight for the WCW Tag Team Championships.

Falls Count Anywhere Street Fight for the vacant WCW World Tag Team Championships
The First Family (Brian Knobs and Hugh Morris) w/Jimmy Hart vs. Harlem Heat vs. the Filthy Animals (Konnan and Kidman)
This was an entertaining stOOpid brawl but they should have had it later in the card when the crowd had cooled down a bit. The ending was a mess.
Winners: Harlem Heat (new WCW World Tag Team Champions)

Ric and David Flair have arrived at the arena and Ric is pissed.

Diamond Dallas Page and Kimberly come to the ring and she cuts a terribly awkward promo. DDP takes the mic and calls the Flairs out. They both can cut promos but the material they had to work with here was just so bad. In the end DDP changes his match with Ric Flair later tonight to a Strap Match.

Goldberg is backstage looking for Sid Vicious.

Mike Teney announces that all members of the Filthy Animals and the Revolution have been barred from ringside during Eddie Guerrero’s match with Perry Saturn.

Perry Saturn vs. Eddie Guerrero
This was a great fucking match! Perry Saturn was owning it. But then Ric Flair came out and hit Eddie with a crowbar (he was pissed at Eddie for stealing his watch on Nitro the previous week) and ruined it.

Goldberg is backstage beating the shit out of Sid, who’s busted open but ready for more.

Buff Bagwell comes out to deflate the entire show. He has a problem with the two new writers from “up north” and Jeff Jarrett. Jarrett comes out and they fight. Lex Luger comes one and accidentally hits Bagwell with Jarretts guitar, which doesn’t break and probably gave Bagwell a concussion. He hit him with the part of the guitar where the neck attaches to the body and that is a HARD part.

Sid is getting stitched up but he wants to fight.

Eddie Guerrero is hurting backstage after Flairs attack and he calls all the Filthy Animals together to “take care of things”.

Brad Armstrong vs. Berlyn w/the Wall
I was about to say that this pay per view was turning into an episode of Nitro...but this just turned it into an episode of Thunder. When I saw Armstrong all I could wonder was if this was before or after he did that character ripping his brother Road Dogg off? I’d have enjoyed if he’d have came out like that rather than the blandest of the bland he was here.
Winner: Brad Armstrong

Mike Teney is backstage with Ric Flair, who tells the Filthy Animals they know where to find him but he’s also ready for his Strap Match against Diamond Dallas Page.

Chris Benoit (champion) vs. Rick Steiner
This was pretty much a savage beating which was even harder to watch what with most of the damage being done to Benoits head.
Winner: Rick Steiner (new WCW World Television Championship) via a double-cross on Benoit by Dean Malenko

Mike Teney is backstage with Bret Hart, who was hurt in an earlier attack from Lex Luger but is still going to wrestle him tonight.

Lex Luger w/Elizabeth vs. Bret Hart
This was a pretty boring match. Elizabeth is the only reason to watch it.
Winner: Lex Luger

Goldberg says he’s going to rip Sid’s head off his body.

Medusa comes out wearing a bikini to model the WCW Nitro cologne. This was hilarious thanks to Bobby Heenan. Medusa says that the new writing and powers that be are bullshit.

The Hulk Hogan verses Sting match is supposed to be next but Hogan doesn’t come out when his music plays. Sting comes out then Hogan’s music plays again and he comes out but in street clothes with an upset look on his face. He lays down in the ring and...

Hulk Hogan vs. Sting (champion)
...let’s Sting pin him.
Winner: Sting

As Goldberg makes his way to the ring he’s attacked from behind by Scott Hall and Kevin Nash.

Sid Vicious (champion) vs. Goldberg
Sid was pretty awesome during this match. But Sid is always awesome. He was still bleeding from Goldbergs attack an hour earlier and he looked like an unstoppable monster in this match even though he was getting his ass kicked for most of it.
Winner: Goldberg (new WCW United States Champion) via referee stoppage due to blood

Sting comes out and says he didn’t come here for a night off; he wants a fight. He issues an open challenge and he wants a fight after the next match.

Strap Match
Diamond Dallas Page w/Kimberly vs. Ric Flair
This is a different strap match. Instead of having to touch the four corners of the ring to win it’s just a strap to keep the guys in close proximity to one another. The two hated each other so why would they need a strap to keep them together if they wanted to go at each other’s throats? This was a good older school match that would have been better off on a show ten years earlier. I think someone fucked up at the end. Something happened with the referees count then he called for the bell anyway.
Winner: Diamond Dallas Page
Afterwards DDP continues to beat on Ric Flair, and David Flair when he tries to come to his father’s rescue.

As Ric Flair is being taken out on a stretcher the Filthy Animals attack him, throw him into an ambulance and drive off.

Sting comes out to give someone the chance to accept his open challenge. And his challenge is accepted by: GOLDBERG!

Sting vs. Goldberg
The commentators kept reiterating that this match wasn’t for the WCW World Heavyweight Championship so it made perfect sense that the referee gave the title to Goldberg when it was done.
Winner: Goldberg (new WCW World Heavyweight Champion)
Sting is pretty pissed. Not because he lost but because the match was non-title.

Bobby Herman’s last words as the broadcast ends with Sting hitting referee Charles Robinson with a Scorpion Death Drop: “…why not”
___
To quote Tony Schiavone: “I guess he’s the world champion?”. That’s how this show can best be summed up. There was so much to take in that it felt like I was watching three shows.

It started out good and there was some damn good wrestling on it. But as it wore on the “Russo influence” became more and more visibly apparent. He’d been with the company for about three weeks at this point so this was probably the first show he had complete control over. It was nowhere near as atrocious as the product would be six or seven months later but it did feel more like a WWF show. Even moreso it felt like a new beginning. The vibe was fresher towards the beginning and it was nice to watch a WCW show that wasn’t anchored by the nWo. But as I said as it wore on it got a little old and it honestly ended a confusing mess. By the end it felt like no one knew what was going on, which is normal in any environment when there’s a huge shift at the top. But at the beginning there was this excitement from everything of what good things were on the horizon and then as it progressed it felt like it started dawning on everyone that they weren’t getting exactly what they were hoping for with Russo.

It’s really too bad because at the beginning it was one of the best WCW pay per views I’d seen. I really enjoyed the cruiserweight match, the Television title match, Guerrero’s match with Saturn, the United States title match and the strap match. But almost every match and every segment ended an overbooked mess.

The commentary was really good tonight. Heenan was “on” and Schiavone seemed to be having a really good time too. By the end they were both as confused as everyone else.

The crowd was kinda shit, but it was a Vegas crowd. They chanted “boring” during Guerrero and Benoits matches.

I still think Russo was a mole sent in by the WWF to destroy WCW from within.

·
Registered
3,101 Posts

WCW/nWo “Halloween Havoc”
October 25th, 1998
From the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas, Nevada
Commentators: Tony Schiavone, Bobby “the Brain” Heenan and Mile Tenay

Tonight: the biggest return match in the history of professional wrestling: Hollywood Hogan verses the Warrior. As well as Goldberg defending the WCW World Heavyweight Championship against Diamond Dallas Page, Kevin Nash verses Scott Hall and Sting challenging Bret Hart for the United States Championship.

The Nitro Girls dance in the ring.

Mean Gene Okerlund interviews Rick Steiner about his match tonight against his brother Scott. Buff Bagwell comes out and says everyone is sick of Scott Steiner and the nWo not fighting fair so he offers to be in Ricks corner tonight.

Raven vs. Chris Jericho (champion)
This was a REALLY GOOD match. Definitely the best I saw either have in WCW. They both looked great and I really wanted it to go longer.
Winner: Chris Jericho

Eric Bischoff and Hollywood Hogan come out. They discuss Hogan’s beating of his own nephew Horace the previous week on Nitro and the beating he’s going to deliver to the Ultimate Warrior tonight.

Meng vs. Wrath
This was an okay hoss match that Meng pretty much dominated until the final three seconds.
Winner: Wrath

Kidman is on the WCW.com hotline chat discussing defending the WCW Cruiserweight Championship later tonight against the winner of the following match.

For a shot at the WCW Cruiserweight Championship later in the show
Disco Inferno vs. Juventud Guererra
There was a whole lotta botchin’ going on in this match. Pretty much all on Juventud. At one point he almost took his own head off outside the ring doing a Hurricaneranna or something. It was a good match though. Probably the best one I’ve seen Disco Inferno have (the bar wasn’t high) and one of the only times I recall him winning.
Winner: Disco Inferno (receives as shot at the WCW Cruiserweight Championship later in the show)

The Nitro Girls dance in the ring again.

Scott Steiner comes out and says that Buff Bagwell should team with his brother tonight to take on him and the Giant for the WCW World Tag Team Championships. JJ Dillon makes it so but says if they’re so confident in themselves than maybe if Bagwell and Rick should win that Rick should get his brother in their oft-delayed one-on-one match afterwards? Scott Steiner agrees.

Fit Finlay vs. Alex Wright
This was pretty good for a filler match. They used some pretty harsh offense on one another.
Winner: Alex Wright

Ernest “the Cat” Miller is on the WCW.com chat. Lee Marshall keeps going on about “someone else” being the greatest and the Cat keeps arguing with him over that but they never mention who they’re talking about so I’m completely in the dark on that one.

Lodi vs. Saturn
Lodi looked like he’d already been in Vegas for a week during this match. I don’t think he got one move in this, what was a match rust actually had a backstory from the Flock ending a month earlier.
Winner: Saturn

Recap of Buff Bagwell turning his back on the nWo and Scott Steiner on Nitro the past week.

The Nitro Girls dance again.

Disco Inferno vs. Kidman (champion)
I hate Disco Inferno but he looked really good in this match too. I actually wanted him to win based off his performances tonight.
Winner: Billy Kidman

For the WCW World Tag Team Championships and a possible one-on-one match between the Steiner Brothers should Rick Steiner and Biff Bagwell win
Scott Steiner & the Giant vs. Rick Steiner & Buff Bagwell
The result of this match was pretty obvious when Buff Bagwell came out in street clothes. Thankfully after he double-crossed Rick Steiner he left and went back backstage and left Scott and the Giant to beat on him. Then Rick Steiner won the match when the Giant fucked up and Dropkicked Scott.
Winner: Rick Steiner (new WCW World Tag Team Champion(s))

Rick Steiner vs. Scott Steiner
I was again very surprised by this match and how good these two worked. It was going great until Buff Bagwell returned (for some reason disguised as Bill Clinton) and interfered. But Rick Steiner WOULD NOT give up.
Winner: Rick Steiner

History of the history between Scott Hall and Kevin Nash.

Scott Hall w/a drink vs. Kevin Nash
This was another “blood feud” match, just like the last one. It didn’t have the same excitement as the Steiner Brothers one did and it went a little too long. The Jackknife’s at the end were so sloppily beautiful.
Winner: Scott shall via count out via Kevin Nash leaving him beaten in the ring and just walking away

The Nitro Girls dance again.

Bret Hart (champion) vs. Sting w/a goatee(?!)
I just hate watching Bret Hart in WCW. It’s wrong. This match really cooled things down. There seemed to be juice behind it but there were so many blood feuds at this show that this one just didn’t matter. Sting looks weird with facial hair.
Winner: Bret Hart

Did Bret Hart always have different music when he won a match in WCW?

Hollywood Hogan vs. the Warrior
The whole of this match isn’t that bad. It’s slow and the crowd just didn’t want to see it. Even Horace Hogan’s chairshot on the Warrior isn’t as bad as it’s said to be. The fireball part is dumb knowing about not it now so I don’t know what I would have thought if I watched it live. It was just slow and neither looked very good at all.
Winner: Hollywood Hogan

Diamond Dallas Page vs. Goldberg (champion)
It’s good to see Goldberg have a competitive match. This has all the electricity of his matches but also good working from Goldberg. I wouldn’t call this the one Goldberg match you “have to see” (that would be the one against Hogan when he won the title or even the one against Sid at the following years Halloween Havoc) but this is the one you should watch if you wanted to see that he wasn’t just a wrecking ball. And just think; here we are twenty-two years later and as I’m watching this match a friend of mine just texted me that Braun Strowman has just beaten Goldberg for the WWE Universal Championship.
Winner: Goldberg
_
This show was unbelievable. Everyone remembers it for two things: having the best match Goldberg ever had and the horridity of the Hogan-Warrior match. But I don’t think people remember it for seriously being one of the best shows WCW ever put on. I haven’t seen too many of their shows in full so it’s the best one I’ve ever seen. There were A LOT of really good matches on the undercard from guys who seldom or never impressed me, be it in WCW (Raven) or ever (the Steiners, Disco Inferno TWICE) and the commentators did a great job of making every match from the main events to filler matches full and center of their focus. The only times the nWo or the main event were mentioned were when it was their turns. Well the main event of Hogan verses Warrior was brought up quite a few times but it was a really damn important match and at the time no one knew the debacle it would end up being.

The camerawork and audio were excellent. They got all the right angles and picked up all the right sound bites.

To make the show even better they debuted Konnans rap video during the original broadcast but the WWE Network cut it out.

Summer/fall 1998 is regarded as the beginning of the end for WCW but you wouldn’t know it from this show. Everything was firing on all cylinders.

·
Registered
3,101 Posts

NWA “Clash of the Champions”
March 27th, 1988
From the Greensboro Coliseum in Greensboro, North Carolina
Commentators: Tony Schiavone and Jim Ross

Tonight: Sting challenges Ric Flair for the NWA World Heavyweight Championship, Dusty Rhodes teams with the Road Warriors to face the Powers of Pain and Ivan Koloff and Arn Anderson and Tully Blanchard defend the NWA World Tag Team Championships against Lex Luger and Barry Windham.

For the NWA World Television Championship
Gorgeous Jimmy Garvin w/Precious vs. Mike Rotunda (champion) w/Kevin Sullivan
Referee: TEDDY LONG, PLAYA
The stipulations of this one were stupid. It was to be broken up into three five-minute rounds and it only took a one-count for the victory, which could have happened at any time. The rounds are fine but a one-count? What the fuck is that shit? They made it a minute into the second round.
Winner: Mike Rotunda

Bob Caudle interviews Dr. Death Steve Williams. He hopes Sting wins and announces that he has signed a contract for a shot at the NWA World Heavyweight Championship next.

For the NWA United States Tag Team Championships
The Midnight Express (champions) w/Jim Cornette vs. the Fantastics
This was a good brawl but don’t think it was like something you’d see in ECW. None of the “hardcore” offence was very convincing. Lots of hands up in front of faces blocking chairs. But it was welcomed after the previous stinker.
Winners: the Midnight Express via disqualification

The guy who plays Eddie Haskell interviews Jim Cornette.

Bob Caudle interviews Al Perez and Gary Hart, who challenge Dusty Rhodes for the United States Championship.

They run down the ten seeds in the Jim Crocket Sr. Memorial Cup:
10. Ivan Koloff and Dick Murdoch
9. Sting and Ron Garvin
8. The Varsity Club
7. The Fantastics
6. Barry Windham and Lex Luger
5. The Powers of Pain
4. The Midnight Express
3. The Road Warriors
2. Nikita Koloff and Dusty Rhodes
1. Arn Anderson and Tully Blanchard

Chicago Street Fight (Texas Barbed Wire Match)
Dusty Rhodes & the Road Warriors vs. the Powers of Pain & Ivan Koloff w/Paul Jones
This could have been so awesome but it lasted like five minutes.
Winners: Dusty Rhodes & the Road Warriors

Bob Caudle interviews Nikita Koloff who delivers an anti-drug message. He also wants the NWA World Heavyweight Championship.

For the NWA World Tag Team Championships
Barry Windham & Lex Luger vs. Arn Anderson & Tully Blanchard (champions) w/JJ Dillon
This was a decent match but my attention in this show is pretty much gone.
Winners: Barry Windham & Lex Luger (new NWA World Tag Team Champions)

Sting vs. Ric Flair (champion) w/JJ Dillon
Oh shit, I watched this match like two months ago on one of Ric Flairs DVD sets. I just read my review of that match and all I cared about was “Frankenhooker” Patty Mullen being ringside serving as one of the judges. And then the stupid as fuck ending where time expired so it went to the judges and one of the five couldn’t decide who won so the match ended in a draw.
Winner: draw
___
I know this was a TV special but this show was garbage. The whole show ran for less than two hours and the mine event ended after the forty-five minute time limit had expired. The first match just had that stupid ass structure that killed it from the get-go. The Barbed Wire match was just fucking weak. And while the main event had Frankenhooker it had that dumbass ending too. The two tag team championship matches were good but not good enough for me to recommend anyone watch this show. Just watch Frankenhooker instead. It’s infinitely better.

…this show aired head-to-head against Wrestlemania IV

…yeah

·
Is a Snit Head
22,155 Posts
In your above reviews you have two really good examples of deception by wrestling companies.

I know Hogan was wrestling regularly in 1999 butt he's still Hulk Hogan. Advertising him to wrestle on a PPV and then not having him wrestle on a PPV is a good way to anger people that bought a ticket or ordered the PPV. I've seen Hogan wrestle in person exactly one time and it was amazing because he's Hogan. I would have been so pissed if I didn't actually get a match with him.

And the Clash draw is the same thing. They advertise the match with judges so you know there won't be a draw and then there's a draw anyway. I love the match but it's wrong to the fans that watched the show. The whole point is that Flair can't be Flair and actually has actually has to win the match on his own.

·
Registered
3 Posts
WWE Summerslam
21 August, 2017
Barclays Centre, Brooklyn, New York

Pre Show

I didn’t end up watching the first 2 pre show matches, but the results were as follows;

The Miz, Curtis Axel & Bo Dallas (w/Maryse) def. Jason Jordan, Matt Hardy & Jeff Hardy

Neville def. Akira Tozawa (w/Titus O’Neil)

The Uso’s vs. The New Day (Big E & Xavier Woods) (Smackdown Tag Team Championship)

Match Rating – ****
These two teams have been having a good set of matches. This one started out a bit slow but picked up as it went on. Both teams used some creatively tag team moves, included some stuff that was new. One of the better main roster tag matches of the year. Should have been the opener to the main card! The Uso’s picked up the win, and became the new tag team champions.
Winners: The Uso’s (New Smackdown Tag Team Champions)

Main Card

Baron Corbin vs. John Cena

Match Rating – *1/2
Not the best choice for an opener in my opinion. Corbin’s ring work doesn’t interest me much, and after they took the Money in the Bank briefcase off him shortly before this, I don’t think they had much direction for him. Cena picks up the obvious win in a match that never hit high heights.
Winner: John Cena

Naomi vs. Natalya (Smackdown Women’s Championship)

Match Rating – **1/2
Decent match that was better than I was expecting. Nice to see Natalya pick up the win and get another title reign. She is still one of the best in ring workers in the company.
Winner: Natalya (New Smackdown Women’s Champion)

Big Cass vs. Big Show

Match Rating – 1/2*
Enzo Amore came out before the match and did his normal spill on the mic. He was suspended above the ring in a “Shark Cage” during this match. The match started out very slow, and all you could hear was Enzo yelling stuff from the cage. The crowd were very dead and eventually started a “boring” chant. Enzo Amore at one stage striped down and then escaped the cage, landed in the ring, and got taken out by Big Cass. Cass eventually won the match at the 11 minute mark, which was way too long!
Winner: Big Cass

So far the show has really struggled to get going. I think they needed something faster paced during the opening few matches on the main card. It’s disappointing the tag titles match wasn’t the included early in the main card instead of on the kick off show.

Randy Orton vs. Rusev
Match Rating – 1/4*
Rusev attacked Orton before the match started. Once the match started, it was over within seconds though as Orton hit the quick RKO for the win. Purely giving the quarter of a star for the RKO which looked pretty good!
Winner: Randy Orton

Alexa Bliss vs. Sasha Banks
(RAW Women’s Championship)
Match Rating – **1/4
Third match between these two, with Sasha winning the first by count out. The match was average with nothing too noteworthy. Sasha picked up the win and became the new RAW Women’s Champion via submission.
Winner: Sasha Banks (New RAW Women’s Champion)

Bray Wyatt vs. Finn Balor

Match Rating – **1/2
Balor was using his ‘Demon’ persona for this match. Unfortunately, the match was another that never seemed to have much of note. Bray worked over Finn for most of the match before Finn eventually made the comeback and picked up with win. Another average match on this show.
Winner: Finn Balor

Cesaro/Sheamus vs. Dean Ambrose/Seth Rollins (RAW Tag Team Championship)

Match Rating – ****
Dean and Seth reunite here to take on Cesaro and Sheamus. Early on in the match, Cesaro went out to the crowd and ripped apart a beach ball that was being thrown around. One of my favourite heel tactics I have seen, another reason why Cesaro is one of my favourite’s going around! The match was just really solid classic tag team work, with the heel team dominating most of it. The finishing sequence was really good though, and the titles changed hand. Overall an excellent classic tag team match, with Cesaro being the star of the match. By far the best match on the card so far
Winners: Dean Ambrose/Seth Rollins (New RAW Tag Team Champions)

AJ Styles vs. Kevin Owens (United States Championship) (Special Guest Referee – Shane McMahon)

Match Rating – ***1/2
I thought their clash at Backlash was really good but the Battleground one never lived up to the first one. Hopefully this one is on par with the Backlash one. As expected, they played off the Special Guest Referee component throughout the match, with Shane getting hit inadvertently by both men. Some of this was done well, but I think it became slightly too much of the focus. Still a good match but didn’t quite match their Backlash clash.
Winner: AJ Styles

Jinder Mahal vs. Shinsuke Nakamura (WWE Championship)

Match Rating – **
So far Jinder Mahal’s reign has been very poor. This match turned out to be very similar. Nothing special throughout, and the ending was a bit weak with Shinsuke distracted by interference and then Mahal hitting his finisher for the win. The reign of Mahal continues, with the crowd very disappointed. Poor booking I think when you have a new superstar on the main roster that hasn’t been pinned before, and that is how they lose their first match by pinfall.
Winner: Jinder Mahal

Braun Strowman vs. Brock Lesnar vs. Roman Reigns vs. Samoa Joe (Universal Championship)

Match Rating – ****
This should be good if done right. Few good moments early on, with Braun vs. Brock and the spear through the ringside barrier. Braun then proceeded to put Brock through 2 announcers tables, and crushed him with the third. The match picked up again once Brock made his way back into it. Lesnar ended up getting the clean win over Roman, which surprised me a little. Overall a really good match between the 4 big men. The spots were good and they went for the style it needed.
Winner: Brock Lesnar

Overall Show Rating – 5/10

A disappointing event overall. The first half of the show was really poor, with a lot of slow matches that never seemed to get going. The tag titles match was very good though which was much needed at that point of the show. The show did have plenty of title changes, which can add some excitement, but this wasn’t the case most of the time here. Main event was good though, which redeemed the show a bit.

2961 - 2980 of 2990 Posts