Wrestling Forum banner

2961 - 2972 of 2972 Posts

·
#1 Somamaniac
13,601 Posts
Watched the match for a very similar "project" and I thought it was excellent. It was given a large amount of time, which shocked me more than it should've, and they used every time so effectively. I think the match had a rep of shoehorning call backs to their indie runs without any real value (forgot where I heard that) but I was happy to see that the match was much more than that. A big plus for both guys resume of great matches. Shame their MITB didn't reach that standard. In another universe, it could've been one of the best feuds in WWE history. Oh well.

·
Registered
3,054 Posts

WCW “Fall Brawl”
September 12th, 1999
From the Lawrence Joel Veterans Memorial Coliseum in Winston-Salem, North Carolina
Commentators: Tony Schiavone, Bobby “the Brain” Heenan and Mike Tenay

“Can Sting trust Hulk Hogan or Lex Luger?”

Tonight: Hulk Hogan verses Sting for the WCW World Heavyweight Championship and Chris Benoit defends the United States Championship against the 79-0 Sid Vicious

Vampiro & the Insane Clown Posse vs. Rey Mysterio Jr., Eddie Guerrero & Billy Kidman
Say what you want about the Insane Clown Posse; the fact that they still do wrestling twenty years after this should endure them to wrestling fans that they were there for no other reason other than that they wanted to be. That said they were extremely sloppy and green in this match, especially Shaggy 2 Dope. The crowd was extremely hot. Hotter than I’ve ever heard a WCW crowd.
Winners: Rey Mysterio Jr., Billy Kidman & Eddie Guerrero

The Revolution guarantee a clean sweep in all their matches tonight.

Recap of Lenny recently winning the WCW Cruiserweight Championship and Kaz Hayashi pinning him to win a match...a match that he was wrestling against Lodi...oh, WCW.

For the WCW Cruiserweight Championship
Kaz Hayashi vs. Lenny (champion) w/Lodi
This was a solid match that really didn’t matter.
Winner: Lenny

Mean Gene Okerlund brings Sting out to the ring. Sting says he has no problem with Hulk Hogan...until he gets in the ring with him tonight.

Video package of the Revolution’s feud with the First Family.

No Disqualifications
The First Family (Brian Knobs and Hugh Morris) w/Jimmy Hart vs. the Revolution (Shane Douglas and Dean Malenko)
The best part of this was Shane Douglas getting the Saginaw, Michigan crowd pumped up for the match. I can see saying the wrong city but he was over six hundred and fifty miles off. And of all the wrong cities to name, “Saginaw”? The match started out as a brawl but after the first five or so minutes became a standard wrestling match.
Winners: the First Family

Perry Saturn verses Rick Steiner promo.

For the WCW World Television Championship
Perry Saturn vs. Rick Steiner (champion)
This was a decent “big man” match but I really couldn’t get invested in.
Winner: Rick Steiner

Mean Gene Okerlund is with Hulk Hogan who swears he will not stab Sting in the back.

Berlyn w/the Wall vs. “Hacksaw” Jim Duggan
Considering this was Berlyns in-ring debut it went on way longer than it should have and Duggan got way too much offence in.
Winner: Berlyn
Buff Bagwell (who was supposed to have wrestled Berlyn in the previous match) just arrived at the arena. He goes to the ring and thanks Duggan for filling in for him but Duggan doesn’t seem impressed by his show of affection.

For the WCW World Tag Team Championships
Harlem Heat vs. the West Texas Rednecks (champions) w/Curt Hennig
This was a good Tag Team Match. I was really hoping Curly Bill would do a run-in.
Winners: Harlem Heat (new WCW World Tag Team Champions)

For the WCW United States Championship
Sid Vicious vs. Chris Benoit (champion)
This was okay. Benoit took a lot of shots to the head.
Winner: Sid Vicious (new WCW United States Champion and now 80-0)

Diamond Dallas Page vs. Goldberg
This didn’t have quite the fire of their match eleven months earlier at Halloween Havoc 1998 but it was still a much better wrestling match than you'd usually get from Goldberg.
Winner: Goldberg

For the WCW World Heavyweight Championship
Sting vs. Hulk Hogan (champion)
I was watching WCW in late-1999 but I have virtually no memory of Hogan going back to red and yellow and holding the World Heavyweight Championship. The ending was as should be expected with Diamond Dallas Page, Bret Hart, Sid Vicious and Lex Luger all running in before Sting pulled the turn and double-crossed Hogan.
Winner: Sting (new WCW World Heavyweight Champion)
______________________________________________________________________________________
This wasn’t too bad a show. It felt like a b-show. Nothing had that important feel to it. Even the main event. I was really surprised how much the crowd was into the entire show. Late-1999 WCW is often seen as a company in the early stages of dying but you wouldn’t have known that here. The first match was fun and the last four matches were good enough. Diamond Dallas Page verses Goldberg was the highlight.

The Revolution lost every single one of their matches.

This was the first Fall Brawl to not have a War Games match. The icon on the WWE Network said "WCW Fall Brawl: War Games" and that's why I chose it.

From Wikipedia:
Berlyn was originally supposed to face Buff Bagwell, but the storyline was that Bagwell was late in arriving. In reality, Bagwell had refused to lose the match. Instead Berlyn wrestled against Jim Duggan.

·
Registered
10,592 Posts
Hi everyone. It's been forever since I posted on here. Not sure if anyone remembers me, but I remember when this forum used to be busy with discussion. Sad to see that the last post was 3 months ago. Would be nice to hear from guys like Cal, Yeah1993 and SegundaCaida again. Hope you all are doing well.

·
Le Champion
18,633 Posts
Hi everyone. It's been forever since I posted on here. Not sure if anyone remembers me, but I remember when this forum used to be busy with discussion. Sad to see that the last post was 3 months ago. Would be nice to hear from guys like Cal, Yeah1993 and SegundaCaida again. Hope you all are doing well.
Forum went to complete shit mate. Discussion has tapered off everywhere since the change. =/

·
Registered
10,592 Posts
Forum went to complete shit mate. Discussion has tapered off everywhere since the change. =/
Damn. I new layout really isn't pleasing on the eyes. I lost my account info some years ago. The last time I posted was late 2014. I see a few OGs are still around. I wonder if anyone moved over to Wreddit? Seems to be the new place to discuss wrestling. It's just so sad to see this community die. I joined when I was 15 and spent most of my teenage years here. Oh well, I guess like all good things....

·
Le Champion
18,633 Posts
Damn. I new layout really isn't pleasing on the eyes. I lost my account info some years ago. The last time I posted was late 2014. I see a few OGs are still around. I wonder if anyone moved over to Wreddit? Seems to be the new place to discuss wrestling. It's just so sad to see this community die. I joined when I was 15 and spent most of my teenage years here. Oh well, I guess like all good things....
I feel ya there. I joined when I was 14. Place just isn't the same anymore. Btw you may remember me as Jack Evans 187 from back in the day.

·
Registered
109 Posts
So is WWE just releasing pay per views on dvd with docs and concepts available on the WWE Network (which I don’t have).

I have always thought a Rise And Fall of the MegaPowers would make a great DVD. Hogan could narrate and maybe Lanny Poffo could give his thoughts on behalf of Savage. A lot of material could be included with matches and interviews From pay per views, SNME, Superstars of Wrestling. I know most or all of the big matches have already been released but I believe a lot of the interviews from Superstars and Brother Love, etc. have not. There may also be a couple of matches that haven’t been released (Savage vs Akeem).

·
Registered
3,054 Posts

WCW “Fall Brawl: War Games”
September 13th, 1998
From the Lawrence Joel Veterans Memorial Coliseum in Winston-Salem, North Carolina
Commentators: Tony Schiavone, Bobby “the Brain” Heenan and Mike Teney

Tonight: Team Hollywood (Hollywood Hogan, Bret Hart and Stevie Ray) verses Team Wolfpack (Kevin Nash, Sting and Lex Luger) verses Team WCW (Diamond Dallas Page, Rowdy Roddy Piper and the Warrior) in a three team War Games March with the winner getting a WCW World Heavyweight Championship title shot against Goldberg next month at Halloween Havoc.

Wow, Bobby Heenan looks like he DOES NOT want to be there.

Backstage, Ernest Miller is fighting with someone.

Gene Okerlund gives a quick rundown of the undercard: Dean Malenko verses Curt Hennig, Scott Steiner verses Rick Steiner and Saturn verses Raven for control of the Flock. Chris Jericho comes out with a “scoop”. He announces that he and Bill Goldberg will have a title-verses-title match tonight!

Disco Inferno & Alex Wright vs. the British Bulldog & Jim “the Anvil” Neidhart
This is the match where the British Bulldog got hurt on that trapdoor in the ring, which pretty much ended his career. You don’t see anything happen and the only time he’s really in visible pain is after an Irish Whip into the ropes towards the beginning. The match was okay. Neidhart looked pretty sluggish. It looked like they were working a little stiff towards the end.
Winners: the British Bulldog & Jim “the Anvil” Neidhart

Gene Okerlund is backstage trying to get a word with Scott Steiner. Steiner says he’s injured so he can’t face his brother tonight. Okerlund doesn’t believe them so he asks JJ Dillon to look into the doctors note that Steiner has. Dillion doesn’t buy it so he tells Steiner he has to wrestle his brother tonight or he’s out of WCW for life.

Chris Jericho gets lost backstage on his way out for his match with Goldberg. Then his pyro doesn’t work. FUCKING CLASSIC!!!!

Title verses Title
Chris Jericho (WCW World Television Champion) vs. “Goldberg”
Yeah so it wasn’t really Goldberg. It wasn’t Gillberg either. I think it was that Roadblock guy with his head shaved. You can imagine how this went.
Winner: Chris Jericho

Rick Steiner is on the internet chat. He doesn’t want to fight his brother tonight but he has to.

Footage from earlier when Mike Teney was doing an interview and Ernest Miller interrupted.

NORMAN SMILEY vs. Ernest “the Cat” Miller
This was a WCW piss-break match.
Winner: Ernest “the Cat” Miller

Recap of the feud between the Steiners.

Scott Steiner w/Buff Bagwell vs. Rick Steiner
This match was going along fine and the crowd was actually into it but then Buff Bagwells neck got injured and the match was called off.
Winner: no contest
The camera follows as Bagwell is taken to an ambulance and finally (after a long time) it’s revealed to be a ruse and they (Scott Steiner and Bagwell) attack Rick Steiner.

For the WCW Cruiserweight Championship
Silver King vs. Juventud Guererra (champion)
The crowd was pretty dead for this one but they came alive at the end. It was the best match on the show up until this point, but the bar wasn’t very high.
Winner: Juventud Guererra

Konnan is on the internet chat when his opponent later tonight Scott shall (who is drunk) comes up and throws a drink in Konnans face.

Recap of the drama within the Flock.

Ravens Rules match for control of the Flock
Raven w/Lodi & Kanyon vs. Saturn
There were so many stipulations to this one; all that matters is Raven actually having a match. The match could have and should have been a lot better but it had strange pacing. Something just seemed weird.
Winner: Saturn

An update on Hacksaw Jim Duggan: his cancer surgery was successful.

Recap of the feud between Dean Malenko and Curt Hennig.

Curt Hennig w/Rick Rude vs. Dean Malenko
This could have been a classic and while it was good it wasn’t great.
Winner: Dean Malenko via disqualification
The nWo (Hennig and Rude) attack Malenko and Arn Anderson when he tries to come to the rescue.

Scott Hall w/Vincent and a drink vs. Konnan
This was tough to watch because it was during the “Last Call” Scott Hall angle. The match could have been good (and when it wasn’t focused on Halls demons it was) but it was depressing to see Hall at his lowest...at that point.
Winner: Konnan

War Games Match, winner gets a shot at the WCW World Heavyweight Championship at Halloween Havoc
Team Hollywood (Hollywood Hogan, Bret Hart and Stevie Ray) verses Team Wolfpack (Kevin Nash, Sting and Lex Luger) verses Team WCW (Diamond Dallas Page, Rowdy Roddy Piper and the Warrior)
This was a weirder structured War Games match. It felt more like a Royal Rumble. Even though there were three teams of three it was pretty much every man for themselves since there was only one person who could get the prize. And (even though it didn’t matter in the end) the victorious pinfall could have happened at any time, even when it was just the first two guys in the ring. Overall it wasn’t as brutal as other War Games. The main proposed behind it seemed to be setting up the Hogan verses Warrior match rather than feuds between factions and the title shot at hand. A lot of the guys looked like they were half-assing it because of that. The ending was a wreck.
Winner: Diamond Dallas Page
__
I enjoyed this one. Late-1998 WCW was often a shitshow but something about this one was working. There was some pretty historic stuff. Some of it best left forgotten, such as the British Bulldogs infamous injury and “Last Call” Scott Hall. But there was also Chris Jericho getting lost backstage, which is funny no matter how many times you’ve seen it. Wrestling-wise it was “whatever”. I guess the best matches were the Cruiserweight Championship and Hennig verses Malenko.

I saw a lot of stuff on this show that I’d never seen before. I was watching WCW around this time but think I may have started watching super hardcore the month after this. I’ve never seen the Flock outside of a few clips from WWE smear videos. I’d imagine they were around for a while after this but I don’t remember ever seeing them on Nitro. And I’ve never seen Rick Rudes later run in WCW outside of clips.

The crowd was into some of the show but a lot of times they were more interested in chanting for Ric Flair to return to WCW (I didn’t realize the show was in North Carolina until when I finished up this recap the day after watching). And boy oh boy when they showed the crowd...

2961 - 2972 of 2972 Posts