Wrestling Forum banner

241 - 260 of 2987 Posts

·
THATS THE WALL BROTHER
21,804 Posts
Just watched some random matches

Sting (c) vs Vader - Superbrawl 1993 - **** 1/4
Bret Hart (c) vs Owen Hart Summerslam 1994 - **** 3/4
Chris Jericho (c) vs Rey Mysterio - Title vs Mask match The Bash 2009 - **** 1/2

·
Custom User Title
15,224 Posts
I wanted to re-watch Sting/Vader the other day while on a bus, just came to mind. Forgot when I got home. Best US gimmick match of the 90s after Hart/Austin, IMO. Assuming Iron Man isn't really a "gimmick" match. Nor is Mask/Hair.

·
Mamba Mentality
25,459 Posts
I wanted to re-watch Sting/Vader the other day while on a bus, just came to mind. Forgot when I got home. Best US gimmick match of the 90s after Hart/Austin, IMO. Assuming Iron Man isn't really a "gimmick" match. Nor is Mask/Hair.
I'd say an Iron Man Match is definitely a gimmick match. Therefore you have to change your answer to Rick Rude vs. Ricky Steamboat from WCW BeachBlast '92. :wink2:

Even though the real answer to best U.S. gimmick match of the 90s is Shawn Michaels vs. The Undertaker Hell In A Cell from WWF Badd Blood '97.

·
Custom User Title
15,224 Posts
That was the first time I've watched it too.
Shiiiit. :mark: Have you seen any other Sting/Vader?

I'd say an Iron Man Match is definitely a gimmick match. Therefore you have to change your answer to Rick Rude vs. Ricky Steamboat from WCW BeachBlast '92. :wink2:

Even though the real answer to best U.S. gimmick match of the 90s is Shawn Michaels vs. The Undertaker Hell In A Cell from WWF Badd Blood '97.
I suppose it is, yeah. Guess my thought process was it doesn't necessarily change the wrestling itself, but I should probably think of it more as whether or not it changes the match's rules from a standard match (where I still don't think a mask/hair match is a gimmick match b/c it only changes what happens in the outcome).

The REAL REAL ANSWER in top 5 form;

1. Hart/Austin
2. Rude/Steamboat
3. Sting/Vader
4. WarGames 92
5. Taker/Michaels

Though I haven't seen either Razor/Michaels ladder match since before I gave up star ratings. And it feels like I'm forgetting something really important...

·
Mamba Mentality
25,459 Posts
I suppose it is, yeah. Guess my thought process was it doesn't necessarily change the wrestling itself, but I should probably think of it more as whether or not it changes the match's rules from a standard match (where I still don't think a mask/hair match is a gimmick match b/c it only changes what happens in the outcome).
Exactly. Just like Eddie vs. Rey Title vs. Mask isn't a gimmick match. The match has a gimmick stipulation attached to it that will affect the match result aftermath, but like you said they work the actual match under standard match rules.

The REAL ANSWER in top 5 form...

1. Hart/Austin
2. Rude/Steamboat
3. Sting/Vader
4. WarGames 92
5. Taker/Michaels

Though I haven't seen either Razor/Michaels ladder match since before I gave up star ratings. And it feels like I'm forgetting something really important...
Excellent match list and I probably have the same picks in a different order. You should give the Michaels/Ramon Ladder Matches a re-watch. The SummerSlam '95 match is up there for me too. I don't know how you feel about the Hart/Hart Cage Match from SummerSlam '94 but there are quite a few people really fond of it.

·
Custom User Title
15,224 Posts
Exactly. Just like Eddie vs. Rey Title vs. Mask isn't a gimmick match. The match has a gimmick stipulation attached to it that will affect the match result aftermath, but like you said they work the actual match under standard match rules.
Yeah otherwise a title match would be a gimmick match I guess, ha. And certainly retirement matches.

What a bonehead, I had Eddie/Rey in mind and wrote mask/hair instead of mask/title (NOTE: originally wrote title/hair here. On fire right now).

Excellent match list and I probably have the same picks in a different order. You should give the Michaels/Ramon Ladder Matches a re-watch. The SummerSlam '95 match is up there for me too. I don't know how you feel about the Hart/Hart Cage Match from SummerSlam '94 but there are quite a few people really fond of it.
Hart/Hart cage I haven't seen probably in the same amount of time as the ladder matches, but I did used to adore it. Got some mixed responses since then so I've always wondered where I'd fall on it now.

(On subject of 90s gimmick matches, shout-out to the criminally underrated Hart/Michaels ladder match. Last time I watched it I thought it was legit excellent, and it was recent enough that I'll hold my opinion on it).

(Also the even more underrated and even more excellent Austin/Savio Vega strap match. The one where the lights worked.)

Both Michaels/Razors are youtube. Going to watch both RIGHT NOW.

·
Mamba Mentality
25,459 Posts
Well if we're talking about gimmick matches that don't get much mention (at least I haven't seen it lately) then I'd like to shout out Sting vs. Cactus Jack Falls Count Anywhere Match from the same show as Rude vs. Steamboat at WCW Beach Blast '92.

·
Custom User Title
15,224 Posts
Not seen Foley/Sting in years either, no doubt it'd do well in my mind considering a WCW 1992 match has almost never failed me. Re-watched their 91 match (from Power Hour) last year and it unfortunately didn't do a whole lot for me though. Goes to show how much my WCW list would change four years after done.

Cool but not really popular 90s gimmick matches from WWF & WCW. I like this topic. HERE'S MORE:

-Windham/Anderson v. Doom, Street Fight, Starrcade 1990
-Barry Windham v. Brian Pillman, taped fist match, SuperBrawl 1991
-Cactus Jack v. Van Hammer, FCA, 1/21/92
-Rude/Vader/Jake the Snake/Super Invader v. Sting/Volkoff/the Steiners, Elimination tag, 2/9/92
-Cactus Jack v. Paul Orndorff, FCA, SuperBrawl III
-Cactus Jack/Maxx Payne v. the Nasty Boys, No DQ/No Holds Barred/Four fat nutcases hit each other with stuff match, Slamboree 1994 (for some reason not as well-known as their Spring Stampede match, though it's almost as good)
-Cactus Jack v. Vader, Texas Death Match, 4/30/94
-WarGames, Fall Brawl 94
-The Undertaker v. Mankind, Boiler Room Better Than Austin/Undertaker at Backlash Match, SummerSlam 96
-Mick Foley v. Terry Funk, FCA, 5/4/97
-Chris Benoit v. Meng, Death Match, Slamboree + GAB 1997
-Vader v. Ken Shamrock, Greatest Match in History MATCH, IYH A Cold Day in Hell
-Austin & Co. v. DX, non-sanctioned 8-man tag, No Way Out 1998
-Owen Hart v. Ken Shamrock, AWESOME DUNGEON OF HELL DOOM MATCH, Fully Loaded 1998 + Lion's Den at SummerSlam
-Bam Bam Bigelow v. Hak, no DQ/hardkore/whatever, Spring Stampede 1999

Though the Hardy/Hardy shitshow from the upcoming TNA thing will be better than all of these, I'm betting.

·
Registered
22,784 Posts
There is a massive lie in that post, Yeah...

Oh and don't forget Vader Vs Bradshaw NHB or whatever it was on Raw in 98? Some good shit with those 2 big beefy bastards battering each other. Vader/Shamrock wasn't a gimmick match I don't think, just the referee let em do whatever the fuck they wanted because who the fuck would get in between those 2?

·
Custom User Title
15,224 Posts
OK you caught me the Hardy thing was a joke.

I wasn't sure about Vader/Shamrock but wikipedia says it's a No Hold's Barred.

Still not seen Vader/Bradshaw. Uhhhh DOING IT NOW!

·
Custom User Title
15,224 Posts
Vader vs Bradshaw NHB is one of those forgotten little gems from the IYH series that some people tend to either not know about, or forget. Really good, short slugfest.
Yup, delivered. And pretty unexpected that NHB stipped match could have 1 foreign object used, and barely go near the guardrail, especially in 1998. Bradshaw's clotheslines at the end were Hansen-level.

I actually only realized when it was over that I watched your upload too. Thanks man. ;D Maybe I'll watch that Flair/Eaton now...

The Raw Vader/Bradshaw would have been just as good if given the right...everything. Kane run-ins ruin good matches in any time frame.

·
Registered
3,640 Posts
http://www.wrestlingdvdnetwork.com/no-documentary-wwe-brock-lesnar-blu-ray-no-extras-mitb-2016-dvd/118174/
A documentary feature (or “Brockumentary” as WDN readers were calling it) is no longer planned for the “Brock Lesnar – Eat. Sleep. Conquer. Repeat.” DVD and Blu-ray later this year.

However, new packages are planned to be included between the featured matches.

These could end up being documentary-like chapters or at the very least include new interview material with the Beast himself. As revealed by the trailer and our update this week, the full Blu-ray compilation is to include 19 matches in total, 14 of which will make it to the standard DVD.

We would consider the change to be somewhat of a last minute decision by the company as the Brock DVD appeared on multiple schedule drafts listed as a documentary title – but of course future Home Video plans like this are often subject to change, as we’ve seen in the past.

Join us here at WrestlingDVDNetwork.com next week as we unveil the matches!

Oh for fuck's sake.

241 - 260 of 2987 Posts