Wrestling Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
7401 - 7420 of 10976 Posts

·
Registered
45,092 Posts
Now I'm wanting to see this.

Davey matches from 2006 generally hold up for me. All the matches I enjoyed still have that value. Including the tags with Super Dragon in PWG. One of my favorites being vs Jay Briscoe from ROH The Chicago Spectacular Night 2. Pretty great match.

·
Banned
15,929 Posts

1. Shawn Daivari vs. Crowbar

**3/4

2. The FBI vs. Donny Doring & Roadkill

3. Winter vs. Jazz

**1/2

4. Alex Reynolds vs. Tony Nese

***1/2

5. Scott Steiner vs. Big XLG

6. Chris Mordetzky vs. Hale Collins

Oh, fuck you, Masters, and your crappy/terrible Masterlock Challenge, you’re still a dull and boring drone. “OMG, did you see Masters’ Superstar classicz? He’s so awesome now…”, yeah, yeah, yeah, GTFO! http://i.imgur.com/bROxl.gif

DUD

7. Sami Callihan vs. Rhino

This was a war. Great fucking match.

8. Big Daddy V vs. Two Jobbers & Spike Dudley

N/A

9. The Young Bucks vs. Paul London & Brian Kendrick

***3/4

10. FWE Heavyweight Championship: Tommy Dreamer © vs. Carlito Colon vs. Mike Knoxx

**3/4

GOOD:

- A lot of solid wrestling, with 3 good matches, and Sami/Rhino was really great
- Daivari, Winter, Nese, Steiner, DOC, Sami, Rhino and the Cal guys were all awesome
- Edge’s appearance
- The crowd
- Nice mix of past and present

BAD:

- Relatively average main event, with the extraneous title on the line, random as fuck
- As good as the show was, nothing stood out in terms of presentation, nothing extraordinary happened
- Therefore, it seemed like just another Indy show
- Big Daddy V and his stuff
- The commentary was totally irrelevant and uninspiring
- No hard camera

UGLY:

- Audio
- Chris Masters and his stuff

·
Registered
45,092 Posts
Your assault on Masters has me greatly upset.

As for the rest of the review: I'd mark to watch Callihan/Rhino. Bucks vs Team ROH too considering it actually got a really good rating.

·
Banned
15,929 Posts

1. Ryan Slater vs. Core

2. The Gulak Campaign (Mr. Tofiga & Alexander James) vs. Rory Mondo & Latin Dragon

*1/2

3. Rich Swann vs. Shane Strickland

Swann returns to CZW after seven months of absence. Damn good match, clearly carried by Swann and his swag, but Strickland did fine as well. Very athletic stuff, and this was only the chapter one of their feud. Strickland is a boy with potential, and wrestling Swann benefits him.

***1/2

4. Greg Excellent vs. Drew Gulak

5. CZW World Tag Team Championship: 4-Loco (Azrieal & Bandido Jr.) © vs. The Nation of Intoxication (Devon Moore & Lucky tHURTeen)

***1/4

6. Sami Callihan vs. Ruckus

7. CZW World Junior Heavyweight Championship: AR Fox © vs. Alex Colon

Excellent match. AR Fox being awesome should be an established fact by now, he’s having a tremendous year all around, but boy, Alex Colon is one of the standouts every time I watch CZW. That guy can work, I’m telling you.

8. CZW World Heavyweight Championship: MASADA © vs. Joker

Holy mother of Moses! One of the stiffest matches of the year, two tough wrestlers going ballistic on each other. Sheeeeeit, there was a big load of devastating headbuts, forearms and strikes. But of course, that would be a stupid reason for declaring this match good. The match was good because of smart, nice wrestling, and the post-match stuff was just pure awesomeness. Damn!

9. TANGLED WEB DEATHMATCH: DJ Hyde vs. Matt Tremont

Well, this was something else, I’m tellin’ ya, a peculiar and horrifying mix of regular CZW Ultraviolence, and shock wrestling, with few legit HOLY SHIT, and one SAVE HIM JESUS moment. I had very low expectations going into this, because their match from Redemption was disappointing, DJ Hyde is really bad, and Tremont is just an average deathmatch guy, I reckon. But boy, I was beyond shocked here, I’m still amazed how the hell they pulled it off, this is a serious deathmatch MOTYC. They never lost a beat, the pace was really great, the crowd fucking HATED Hyde, the storytelling was awesome, and the last 10 minutes seriously rocked. Tremont earned my respect for continuing the match after THAT spot, sheeeeeit, that was nasty! The match felt big, definitely, something like a bloodbath spectacle. It helped a lot, I guess, and the booking was great too, the right guy won. Fuck, DJ Hyde in a four star match? Well, color me fucking surprised!

The best CZW show I’ve seen, with two outstanding matches. Fox/Colon and the main event are a must-see stuff.

·
Premium Member
4,254 Posts
ROH Final Battle 2012

Michael Elgin vs Roderick Strong
Elgin is approaching near Davey Richards level of bad if he keeps churning out performances like this. He does nothing that puts him over as a powerhouse outside of a few moves in his arsenal and just works the match like he was any skinny fuckhead in kickpads, complete with no flow or structure. The moment where he just completely no sells a brutally stiff knee like it was a slap during a strike exchange really irked me too.

Jay Lethal vs Rhino
Corino's commentary made this. Lethal does a nice job of getting offense in against Rhino and look believable while doing so, but what stops this from being a solid match was Rhino's inability to work an interesting control segment and the incredibly premature ending.
★¾

RD Evans vs Prince Nana
Nothing to say about this one. It was thankfully short and nothing stuck out as either decent or bad.
★½

Rhett Titus & BJ Whitmer vs Wrestling's Greatest Tag Team - New York Street Fight
This match suffers from some awkward pacing and didn't flow very well but it had some fun moments like Shelton working the crowd with a Christmas tree and BJ Whitmer dying in a spot that would make Hayabusa cringe. Overall, this was a pretty fun brawl that had it's share of flaws.
★★¼

Mike Bennett vs Jerry Lynn
I really liked how old-school the opening matwork felt and it put over Lynn very nicely as the old lion trying to kept up with his younger opponent. Bennett also impressed me at how good he was. He was great at working up the crowd and keeping control segments interesting, something most ROH guys seem to struggle to do.
★★★

Kyle O'Riley & Bobby Fish vs The American Wolves
This was a mildly inoffensive back-and-forth tag match that was quite easy to sit through. The only moment that really annoyed me was the spot where The Wolves did dueling suplexes to the outside and it looked really retarded. Aside from that, this was pretty fun.
★★★

Matt Hardy vs Adam Cole
ROH needs more veterans like Hardy and Lynn to help out the younger guys with their psychology and all that jazz. This was a great little match that featured many 'veteran vs youngster' spots that were quite simply great. I also love Hardy gradually heeling it up more and more as the match goes on when he realizes he can't just put away Cole with a couple of Side Effects.
★★★½

Jimmy Jacobs & Steve Corino (c) vs Cedric Alexander & Caprice Coleman vs The Briscoes - Sudden Death Match - ROH Tag Team Championships
Fun and short take on a match concept that I wouldn't of thought would work.
★★

Kevin Steen (c) vs El Generico - Ladder War - ROH World Championship
I am a big fan of their PWG Ladder match so I had very high hopes coming into this and I must say that I feel a tad underwhelmed. Many of the spots were recycled from their PWG match and their was a lot awkward moments in between the big spots. I love the final Package Piledriver at the end but the setting up for it was abysmal. It felt like at times they would do one epic spot and then wait around before moving onto the next in quite a weak fashion. On a more positive note, Generico's selling was great and Steen was great at being a dick.
★★¾

·
Premium Member
4,185 Posts
RF Video - Year In Review Best of 2004 Vol One

1. JAPW Revolution
Sonjay Dutt vs Roderick Strong

2. JAPW Revolution
Teddy Hart vs Homicide
**1/2

3. Homicide vs Spanky
***1/4

4. Masato Tanaka vs Jerry Lynn
**3/4

5. ECWA Super 8 2004
Austin Aries vs John Walters
***3/4

6. ECWA Super 8 2004
Austin Aries vs Christopher Daniels
***1/2

7. Pro Wrestling World-1
Ikuto Hidaka & Minoru Fujita vs Low Ki & Spanky
***1/2

8. Jack Evans vs Justice

9. Chris Hero vs Justice vs Roderick Strong

10. JAPW When Worlds Collide
Amazing Red vs Jay Lethal vs Sonjay Dutt

11. ECWA
John Walters vs Austin Aries vs Christopher Daniels vs Mike Kruel
***1/2​

·
Registered
2,742 Posts
Just got my first order from the DGUSA Black Friday Sale.

DGUSA Way Of The Ronin 2010
EVOLVE 10
EVOLVE 7
DGUSA Bushido: Code Of The Warrior 2010
DGUSA Untouchable 2011
EVOLVE 6
DGUSA Way of The Ronin 2011
DGUSA Fearless 2011
DGUSA Mercury Rising 2012
DGUSA Freedom Fight 2011
Grab Bag - Best Of Deathmatch Wrestling Vol. 3 (KOTDM 95), ROH Straight Shootin': Skandar Akbar, FIP Bring The Pain 2005, ROH Road To The Title 2002)

·
1,973 Posts
If I was to order a PWG DVD, does it ship to the UK? I'm going to order one, as it's coming for Christmas, haha.
And what would you say is the best PWG event, older or more recent years, it'd be cool if there is one you'd recommend with some of the more current Indy guys, but whatever's your favorite.

If the answer to the first question is, no, it doesn't ship to the UK, then not much point in answering the second.

·
Registered
2,742 Posts
ISW ARMAGEDDOCALYPSE!

Twiggy vs Izzie Deadyet
- Nothing special. Not bad, but It's nothing memorable.

Buxx Belmar vs Lloyd Cthulowitz
- I'm not sure what Buxx's gimmick is, but I like it. I think. Again, nothing bad, but nothing memorable.

Kitsune vs Player Uno
- This match was very good. It was Kitsune's debut and Uno's first match in a year apparently. They started out with some comedy stuff, then took turns beating the shit out of each other. Never realized how hard Uno hit before.

Team Tremendous vs The Food Fighters - Food Fight
- I see potential in Dan Barry. Dude can be big in DGUSA or something IMO. But anyways, this was awesome. I had very low expections, but it was very entertaining. Pinkie Sanchez's commentary made this even better. There was a camera angle for about 10 seconds where you could obviously see the wrestlers talking to each other though, which annoyed me.

Chris Dickinson vs Bobby Ocean
- First time seeing both. Not sure how I feel about Dickinson. He reminds me of Davey Richards, but half the skill level and twice the size. The men seemed to have differing styles, and they didn't mesh well in my opinion.

AR Fox vs Eric Corvis vs Leon St. Giovanni

- Really fun match. A lot of moves that involved all three guys. Flowed really well. Corvis did a Package Piledriver style neckbreaker, which I've never seen before, and looked awesome.

El Hijo Del Bamboo vs Frankie Arion
- El Hijo Del Bamboo is the greatest thing ever. Any man who can wrestle a match in a Panda suit, and get it over has my respect. I loved this match.

Shitty vs Pinkie Sanchez vs Danny Havoc vs Addy Star
- I'd totally bang Addy Star. That's irrelevant to the match, but yeah. Some sick spots in this. Addy dislocated Shitty's shoulder when she did a floatover on a powerbomb attempt.

- This is the first ISW show I've ever seen.
- I bought it for the LEGO deathmatch, but the card overall was good. Wasn't a fan of the first two matches but after that, it got better.

·
Is a Snit Head
22,155 Posts
Go for BOLA 2011 or All Star Weekend 8 Night 2. Or Guerres Sans Frontiers but that's from 09 whereas the other too are 2011. In truth any show from 09-11 is worthwile.
PWG during that time period was unreal. I'm not sure if they had a show that wasn't great from 2009 through 2011. I'm not sure if any indy company can make that same claim. They aren't doing as well now but that's just due to the general quality of indy wrestlers worsening due to so many guys going to WWE.

·
Registered
45,092 Posts
Interspecies Wrestling is generally too awesome for words, star ratings, or reviews. Nothing does them justice except for seeing it. Imagine Chikara with an NC-17 rating & on meth. That's ISW.

Oh, and I like Addy Starr too. Boosh.

·
Registered
45,092 Posts
ROH Final Battle 2012

1) Roderick Strong vs Michael Elgin ~ *3/4

2) Jay Lethal vs Rhino ~ *

3) Prince Nana vs RD Evans ~ *1/2

4) New York City Street Fight
Wrestling's Greatest Tag Team (Shelton Benjamin & Charlie Haas) vs BJ Whitmer & Rhett Titus ~ **

5) Mike Bennett vs Jerry Lynn ~ **3/4

6) American Wolves (Davey Richards & Eddie Edwards) vs Kyle O'Reilly & Bobby Fish ~ ***1/4

7) Adam Cole vs Matt Hardy ~ ***

8) ROH Tag Team Championship - Three Way Match
S.C.U.M.(c) (Steve Corino & Jimmy Jacobs) vs The Briscoe Brothers vs Caprice Coleman & Cedric Alexander ~ *1/2

9) ROH World Championship - Ladder War IV
Kevin Steen(c) vs El Generico ~ **3/4​

~ Strong vs Elgin was a vanilla stiff-fest. I wasn't crazy about it. Did it's job to pump up the crowd with it's straightforward approach. Pretty ideal opener even if it wasn't the best match.

~ Lethal vs Rhino was beyond uninteresting. I was looking forward to this. Now I'm glad TNA never gave us this match during the time both were employed. Rhino does some workover segments that nobody cares about, Lethal hits his beautiful Lethal Injection finisher and that's all. Ok, moving on.

~ Evans vs Nana worked. Glad Evans got the win since I'm a huge fan of his. Unchained Melody is such a legit finisher. No complaints here.

~ Street Fight was decent. Which, I'll actually say is a win considering I expected CRAP thanks to WGTT being involved. Christmas tree bumps, some gnarly moments with a guard rail, PAYDIRT THROUGH THE TABLE (ruled), & the 10,000th death of BJ Whitmer happened in this one. Fair enough match for Shelton to leave the company on. It could have been so much worse.

~ Lynn vs Bennett was entertaining. I've always said Bennett is rocking that WWE type style and it was coming out in full force here. I liked the psychology of the match. Bennett's finisher is lame though. He must change it. Lynn gets revenge following the match. MURDERS MARIA WITH A DDT. :mark: Fitting ceremony follows for Lynn. Great booking, imo. Bennett gets the big win. Lynn has the last laugh and still goes out in perfect fashion. Good stuff.

~ :lmao holy shit was I shocked at how much fun I had watching the Wolves vs New Wolves tag. I really don't know what to say other than it was lots of fun to watch (I think I covered that, no?) and I'm glad as hell I didn't have to sit through a 20+ minute match with Davey & O'Reilly going at it. Bobby Fish as a heel is working for me. I like his work on the mic. Edwards is good. He helped keep this match from not going over the top.

~ Cole vs Hardy went at a million miles per hour. Fast paced contest. Hardy's ego gave the match a nice dynamic. His heat was sort of immense. Nothing like 2005 and NOTHING, not even close to where Jeff's was though. We all didn't expect that even with Hardy's "icon" gimmick. Good match overall. Isn't MOTYC level, but good. Hardy cheats his way to a win. He's sticking around. Cole will get the W eventually in 2013. I can see that win being used a springboard into the world championship picture. I'm down. Cole OWNS.

~ Tag Titles was meh. 7 minutes and a whole lot of random stuff going on. Didn't care for it. Briscoes win in the most underwhelming ROH title change I think I've ever seen. Pass.

~ Plain and simple the main event was solid. Only, there was something off. It didn't have the feel that ALL of their other matches had. From ROH or PWG. I'll always give these two tons and tons of credit for the brutality they inflict on each other. I couldn't help but feel this was such a flat way to end the program in the company. It really sucked the life out of me when they took a long time to set up spots. It relied too much on "do a spot" nothing "do a spot" nothing and so on. F-5 through the table was neat. I got a kick out of that. Generico dies in grand fashion. Steen retains. Once again, solid, but could have been so much more.

All in all the event was decent. Nothing was worth really going out of your way to see, but it's worth a watch if you interested. It blew away Final Battle 2011. Had no DUD's or matches that made you upset to be watching. Worst match was easily Lethal vs Rhino, but I'd credit the worst part of the show to the embarrassingly shitty Mike Mondo promo. BITCH STICKS? You're horrible. Go away. Decent show. Lets hope 2013 turns into a good year for ROH with Delirious running things now.

Reactions: seabs

·
Registered
581 Posts
PWG during that time period was unreal. I'm not sure if they had a show that wasn't great from 2009 through 2011. I'm not sure if any indy company can make that same claim. They aren't doing as well now but that's just due to the general quality of indy wrestlers worsening due to so many guys going to WWE.
Maybe not AS WELL but damn if Threemendous III and Death To All But Metal weren't awesome this year!

·
Registered
45,092 Posts
2012 certainly has been a successful year for PWG. It's only thanks to some shows not being AS strong as the stretch between 2009 - 2011 it almost gets an inferior rep. You can't go wrong with any of the 4. PWG was awesome all the way back in 2003. It's grown to a level that's honestly unreal nowadays. I remember when I was saddened about the move from The Sweatbox to Reseda. Oh, how I was so wrong. Reseda is 1000x better.

·
Registered
419 Posts
PWG Failure to Communicate

1. Joey Ryan vs. Ryan Taylor - ** 3/4
2. Michael Elgin vs. Eddie Edwards - *** 1/4
3. B-Boy and Famous B vs. RockNES Monsters - ***
4. Davey Richards vs. Sami Callihan - *** 1/4
5. Roderick Strong vs. Rich Swann - ** 3/4
6. Brian Cage vs. Willie Mack - ** 3/4
7. Young Bucks vs. El Generico and Kenny Omega - **** 1/4
8. Kevin Steen vs. Ricochet vs. Michael Elgin - **** 1/2

Overall: 8/10

Undercard was pretty disappointing and the Elgin/Richards and Richards/Callihan matches didn't quite get to *** 1/2 but the last 2 matches were awesome. I will probably be in the minority here but I thought the main event was the MOTN and one of my MOTYs. Triple threats are my favorite type of match and it featured 3 of my favorite wrestlers right now, and all 3 of them put on 2 of the best matches at BOLA 2012 so I knew it was going to be great, but it just flowed so perfectly and was fantastic. The last 2 matches saved the show. Just when I thought I was going to be let down, they end the show with those 2 matches. PWG does it yet again.

7401 - 7420 of 10976 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.