Wrestling Forum banner
3661 - 3680 of 3784 Posts

· Registered
7,717 Posts
Which is a shame, I don't like the decision to put their PPVs on Fridays, even if it's for taping schedules it seems counterproductive to try to go head to head against SmackDown and to a lesser degree Rampage, I get those are regular TV as opposed to PPV but Impact has been realistic about their size since Anthem took over and have to be aware of this.

· Registered
355 Posts
Which is a shame, I don't like the decision to put their PPVs on Fridays, even if it's for taping schedules it seems counterproductive to try to go head to head against SmackDown and to a lesser degree Rampage, I get those are regular TV as opposed to PPV but Impact has been realistic about their size since Anthem took over and have to be aware of this.
No matter what, there’s always something going on. Saturdays are full of college football and wrestling shows across the country. Sundays are full of NFL. Aside from that stuff, there’s other sports, vacations, or family events going on.

I don’t think it’s THAT big a deal, as the majority of the people watching Smackdown and Rampage wouldn’t watch BFG regardless of the day and time it was on.

· Registered
1,957 Posts
No matter what, there’s always something going on. Saturdays are full of college football and wrestling shows across the country. Sundays are full of NFL. Aside from that stuff, there’s other sports, vacations, or family events going on.

I don’t think it’s THAT big a deal, as the majority of the people watching Smackdown and Rampage wouldn’t watch BFG regardless of the day and time it was on.
I don't know about that, because I think some of the SD and Rampage audience are also fans of the Impact......especially more of AEW fans that want something different. Look at tonight, you have the choice of Smackdown vs. Rampage/Battle of the Belts IV vs. BFG. Considering what Rampage/BOTB IV is offering its hard to tune into BFG and to an even extent same can be said with SD fans.

Before I get bashed here, I do watch Impact every week and all of the specials + PPVs....but here is my take on this.

I think there are 2 problems here, they chose a Friday night to run a PPV which ROH used to do but it worked for them. Then the biggest issue of all, you have Eddie Edwards vs. Josh Alexander which is a main even that nobody cares about except for a select few. I think if they would have gone out of their way to have a bit more of a bigger main event then people would care more to watch. Even Alexander vs. Moose would of been a better main event considering that Moose is believable enough to take the title from Josh where I can't see Edwards winning the belt back.

The other issue that I kind of have with this is that the card doesn't scream BFG quality. This BFG reminds me of the one in 2014 when Impact was in huge trouble and it took Muta and Wrestle-1 to have a collaborative card in Japan so they could run the card that year. Now granted Impact is in much better shape financially then in 2014, but they didn't put in the proper effort this year.

Regardless I will watch the PPV tomorrow morning and hoping that it turns out better than expected.

· Registered
355 Posts
I don't know about that, because I think some of the SD and Rampage audience are also fans of the Impact......especially more of AEW fans that want something different. Look at tonight, you have the choice of Smackdown vs. Rampage/Battle of the Belts IV vs. BFG. Considering what Rampage/BOTB IV is offering its hard to tune into BFG and to an even extent same can be said with SD fans.

Before I get bashed here, I do watch Impact every week and all of the specials + PPVs....but here is my take on this.

I think there are 2 problems here, they chose a Friday night to run a PPV which ROH used to do but it worked for them. Then the biggest issue of all, you have Eddie Edwards vs. Josh Alexander which is a main even that nobody cares about except for a select few. I think if they would have gone out of their way to have a bit more of a bigger main event then people would care more to watch. Even Alexander vs. Moose would of been a better main event considering that Moose is believable enough to take the title from Josh where I can't see Edwards winning the belt back.

The other issue that I kind of have with this is that the card doesn't scream BFG quality. This BFG reminds me of the one in 2014 when Impact was in huge trouble and it took Muta and Wrestle-1 to have a collaborative card in Japan so they could run the card that year. Now granted Impact is in much better shape financially then in 2014, but they didn't put in the proper effort this year.

Regardless I will watch the PPV tomorrow morning and hoping that it turns out better than expected.
I hear ya. Not sure why BFG is tonight. If Battle of the Belts was moved because of Extreme Rules, why couldn’t BFG be next weekend? Surely the WWE is planning further out than Impact.

I’m not too excited about this card either and I hear ya about Alexander vs Edwards. However, if you’re going up against this weekends other wrestling events, why throw out something special if it’s going to be overlooked anyway?

There is a thread where some suggested bringing in Jarrett or Storm. Wouldn’t have made any difference. This event just didn’t have much hype. Hopefully some surprises come out of it.

· Registered
1,957 Posts
I hear ya. Not sure why BFG is tonight. If Battle of the Belts was moved because of Extreme Rules, why couldn’t BFG be next weekend? Surely the WWE is planning further out than Impact.

I’m not too excited about this card either and I hear ya about Alexander vs Edwards. However, if you’re going up against this weekends other wrestling events, why throw out something special if it’s going to be overlooked anyway?

There is a thread where some suggested bringing in Jarrett or Storm. Wouldn’t have made any difference. This event just didn’t have much hype. Hopefully some surprises come out of it.
They should of either had it on Sunday evening or waited till next week for sure. I guess when the card is not that good to begin with, it would not of mattered what night BFG would have been this year.

When you have a card like this, how can you sell your biggest show of the year? Don't get me wrong, I was going to buy this PPV tonight but with Hellraiser reboot and Werewolf By Night releasing today, those took high viewing priority for us tonight.

• Josh Alexander (c) vs. Eddie Edwards for the Impact World Championship
  • Jordynne Grace vs. Masha Slamovich for the Impact Knockouts World Title
  • Honor No More (Matt Taven and Mike Bennett) (c) vs. The Motor City Machine Guns (Alex Shelley and Chris Sabin for the Impact World Tag Team Titles
  • Mike Bailey (c) vs. Frankie Kazarian for the X Division Title
  • VXT (Chelsea Green and Deonna Purrazzo) (c) vs. Jessicka and Taya Valkyrie for the Impact Knockouts Tag Team Titles
  • Mia Yim vs. Mickie James in a Career Threatening Match
  • Call Your Shot Gauntlet
  • Brian Myers (c) vs. TBA for the Impact Digital Media Title

· Registered
2,307 Posts
Overall I enjoyed BFG. Matches where good, results where mostly surprising and returns where also fun. I'll tag now to avoid spoilers for anyone who hasn't watched:

- Bully Ray, Dreamer and Rhyno returns I liked. Definitely not for everyone but Impact have always booked the veterans well. Heath & Slater is a good tag addition, so could Dreamer and Ray if they team up often but Bully winning Call you shot was strange. I did enjoy Aces & 8s and Bully's world title run but that was many years ago and his best days are behind him. Would of preferred Bully in mid card and tag rather than main event as they could of still done Bully getting world title shot at an Impact+ special but Call your Shot needed a bigger world title threat after Moose did so well last year. Even Rhynos cash in with VBD was good year before as well.

-Suprised both Grace and OGK retained as was certain both would be losing. I wonder if Grace vs Mickie is saved for hard to kill in title vs Career.

- Frankie winning X division was a curveball and surely will now lead to a good reign, and perhaps an Option C cash in at Hard to Kill. Normally Option C is lengthy reign but it's been cash in January before (At Homecoming) and surely cashing in X division is endgame for Kazs impact return.

- Death Dollz is a great name for new women's champs, hopefully they Freebird at some point to get Rosemary involved to.

-Josh vs Eddiw was a good main event, tease at the end with Bully was interesting as was a throwback to 12 months prior when Moose cashed in on Josh. Josh and Bully vs Honor No More could be fun feud, perhaps involve Rhyno, Heath and Dreamer and try a return for Lethal Lockdown where Honor No More must leave if losing and could tie up the end of 2022 quite well. Part of me wouldn't mind seeing Bully do a new Aces and 8s vs Honor No More but read D'lo has left so would need to majority of new members so not needed.

· Registered
355 Posts
I saw Victory Road, which was OK, but didn't make me want to pay for BFG.

Kinda cool to see that Bully Ray was back but that would have been cancelled out by Dreamer. Jesus. Didn't see what Sami was doing in BFG - he is making things interesting.
I don’t want to see Bully or Dreamer in Impact. They can show up in NWA or at smaller shows across the country. No interest in them being in Impact.

· Registered
1,002 Posts
I don’t want to see Bully or Dreamer in Impact. They can show up in NWA or at smaller shows across the country. No interest in them being in Impact.
Yeah, it isn't great that they are relying on these guys. At least Bully Ray can still look credible - Dreamer is just terrible. Bobby fish is getting ancient now. It's tough to bring guys through to replace them. Black Taurus and Trey are probably the most likely upcoming stars. Combine them with MCMG, Sami, Kazarian and you at least have a show, but not a PPV I'd pay for.

· Registered
355 Posts
You should stop watching altogether tbh.

You're one of the most toxic people that likes to share his miserable thoughts about a promotion he seemingly doesn't match.
I watch every week. Toxic? Lol.

Keep watching those old ECW guys! Probably brings you back to those glory days of you wanking to Francine when you were 15 and watching Terry Funk be world champ!

· Registered
355 Posts
Was watching Impact the other day and saw Bobby Fish talking and then wrestling and I was actually impressed. Never thought of that when watching him in AEW. Was he so horribly used in AEW or it's a thing about being a.... decent-sized fish in a very small pound? He sort of felt reenergized.
These are the kind of signings Impact needs. They will never get the top guys.

· Registered
15,506 Posts
I BELIEVE IN JOE HENDRY

Reactions: kovs27 and go stros

· Registered
1,071 Posts
Strike while its hot. Put the DMC on Joe Hendry. Seems like the Major Players are back. Have Myers backstage wilh Scott wanting to know who his next opponent is, but Scott does not have time. Frustrated Myers yells you have to tell me something, say his name and the music hits.

· Registered
16,621 Posts
I don't consistently make comments in here these days But Impact slowly seems like its going down a much better direction in many ways. Also feels like its slowly gaining road show fan traction too. Felt very tacky for a while with its creative. This last comment is not a reflection of the product of course, But I do think Impact visually needs an overhaul. I still cant figure out whos idea it was to make Its weekly show logo in that red look as cheap and tacky as it does. The main logo is just not clear enough and the belts are all indy tacky as fuck. It does help to look like a classy professional brand.

3661 - 3680 of 3784 Posts