Wrestling Forum banner
621 - 640 of 718 Posts

·
Registered
AVALONS #1 FAN/ AEW REVIEW BO$$
3,196 Posts
Archer will need to hold that belt a while to get some credibility back. He's been severely iffy.
Well putting the hurting on moxley definitely helped....not many have beaten mox in singles gimmick match or not regardless promotion. But I agree I hope he gets a good run the old hoss deserves it and jake just got a new contract so the time is right.

·
Registered
10,065 Posts
AEW always delivers when it comes to hardcore gimmick matches. Last week's Darby/Page and this week Archer/Moxley were excellent. This was a meh show but was saved with a great main event. My only real disappointment tonight was not having Rosa (or someone else) come out and get heat back on Baker to set up her next feud.

Jericho - Gage should be insane next week.
This show was more a storyelling type show, not the best ones but needed for the future shows

·
Registered
152 Posts
Wow I didn't expect Archer to win it!
And I'm very surprised NJPW allows AEW to switch the title outside of their shows.
He is already the champion on their website.

Hopefully he is not dropping the belt next week, against the Hikuleo

·
None. More. Hated.
Tuck Your Chin.
9,966 Posts
If they hold over a million or close after that shitty first 90 minutes then that's a good sign.

Reactions: Chan Hung

·
Registered
12,765 Posts
Obviously NJPW had a say and ok'd the title change. It's their championship.

·
Registered
28,046 Posts
Really enjoyed the main event for it's violence and happy Archer finally won a big match.

Only thing I would have changed was I would have removed the "Pillmanizing" spot on Archer's leg. That's a move that has put people on the shelf for months and here it was just like another spot in the match.

·
Registered
4,439 Posts
If they hold over a million or close after that shitty first 90 minutes then that's a good sign.
I thought Jericho vs Spears was good. Storytelling was on point and they worked a nice match around the chair. Gallows vs Frankie was a bore though and Nyla vs Britt flat out sucked and was horribly sloppy.

·
Registered
8,670 Posts
On the whole, tonight was a noticeable drop in quality compared to the last two weeks but AEW even at its mediocre is light years better than anything in WWE these days, and that main event might have been the best on Dynamite all year.

Chavo was a decent surprise and hopefully it gets Andrade further away from Vicky. Chavo really saved that promo from going off the rails because Andrade started to flounder a bit after the crowd started the cero miedo chants. All credit to him for improving his English though.

·
Registered
4,439 Posts
BTW, easily missed but QT said he'd apologise to Tony Schiavone in the ring next week. I have a feeling this could lead to Paul Wight getting involved since QT had some beef with him on Elevation and is Tony's commentary partner. Wight squashing QT would be a nice feature for one of the upcoming events.

·
Registered
6,368 Posts
Wtf? People didn’t like this episode!?

Goddamn. That might have been my favorite episode top to bottom.What the fuck do y’all want in a fucking wrestling show!?

·
Registered
29,939 Posts
Wtf? People didn’t like this episode!?

Goddamn. That might have been my favorite episode top to bottom.What the fuck do y’all want in a fucking wrestling show!?
Show was meh, main event was kick ass tho. If this is your favorite episode top to bottom, imma have to assume you had some adult beverages and devil's lettuce lol

·
THE MAN has come around to collect her debts.
16,015 Posts
Thoughts on the show:

-Jericho vs Spears was okay. It had to be carried by Spears for the most part. Jericho's age is showing more and more every week. The chair stipulation didn't really make the match any better but MJF on commentary and the ringside shenanigans were fine and built the story. It's nice to hear Sammy Guevara's crowd reactions, the kid is over as hell. I don't know much about the Nick Gage guy, but I do appreciate the raw feel within AEW where anything can happen any week. Painmaker Jericho (or in other words Jericho under NO DQ rules lol) making a comeback makes it more intriguing.

-Gallows vs Kaz was a pretty slow and plodding match. It turned out decent for a low-tier TV match, but guys like Gallows don't really need to be wrestling singles matches. He was the right choice as far as who should've won but I really have no interest in the Good Brothers. The Hangman/Omega stuff that happened afterwards was okay and happened for the build to the 5v5 match next week. I'm not sure who wins that match. I don't see the DO beating the Elite elimination style and I don't see Hangman running the gauntlet. Has a bit of unpredictability to it.

-Yuta vs Darby was a sprint much like Sammy/Yuta last week. The Sting/OC exchange was pretty funny.

-Was a little disappointed in Britt vs Nyla. Was kind of sloppy and it didn't seem like the two were in sync. Their tournament match flowed much better. Tonight's match picked up towards the end with a nice final 3 minutes with Britt kicking out of the Beast Bomb and making Nyla tap. Despite how mediocre the match was, the ending and the crowd reactions still made Britt look good.

-FTR vs Santana/Ortiz is gonna be a banger. The interview was obviously cut and edited but there has been plenty of build to their tag match next week.

-Really liked the Death Triangle/Andrade segment despite all the translations going on. I used to be fluent in Spanish so for me the basic level being spoken in these promos is easy to understand. Andrade had nice presence as did PAC. The story here is Andrade trying to recruit the Lucha Bros. I don't know if it actually happens or if they stick with PAC, but whatever the end result of the story, the matches as it's being told are all bangers waiting to happen. Chavo coming back was cool, he was never super great on the mic but he's serviceable if they can't lock in Salina de la Renta.

-Didn't really watch OC vs Blade, caught the ending though. Blade gets his comeuppance for using brass knuckles for weeks on end. Next.

-Moxley vs Archer was FIRE. Wasn't expecting it to turn out the way it did. Moxley worked as the heel tonight and putting Archer over in his hometown was the right move. The crowd was crazy for him. The guy needed a big win and he finally got it clean over Moxley, one of the most protected guys in the company. Huge win for Archer that makes up for a lot.

The show was fine, but definitely pretty boring for much of the first hour. Moxley/Archer made the show worth it for the most part and brings my overall rating up.

Next week looks much better with FTR vs Santana/Ortiz, Elite vs Hangman/DO Elimination match, and Hakuleo vs Archer. Then one week later, Cody vs Black. Tony definitely looks at TV as equivalent to PPV's. Cody doing this game show is really accelerating the feud more than it needs to be.

Overall: 6/10

·
Registered
13,974 Posts
BTW, easily missed but QT said he'd apologise to Tony Schiavone in the ring next week. I have a feeling this could lead to Paul Wight getting involved since QT had some beef with him on Elevation and is Tony's commentary partner. Wight squashing QT would be a nice feature for one of the upcoming events.
Probably would lead to Comoroto facing off against Wight. I wouldn't waste the job on Nick, but a hard fought loss could be enough rub.

621 - 640 of 718 Posts