Wrestling Forum banner

421 - 440 of 479 Posts

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
The Bullet Club storyline has become a little bit stagnant. I doubt someone outside of the smark bubble actually cares and it shows in the raitings. They gotta give us the NJPW crossover if they want that to make any sense.

·
Registered
9,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #423
Middle of the road show - C- maybe

little disjointed here and there... but i also watched it at 3am, so it could be my fault :D

one thing - Ogogo looks like money

·
Registered
3,941 Posts
Watched this episode in like 30-40 minutes. So sick of the constant interruptions, factions and crash TV mindset.
I'm telling ya, it's getting harder and harder to sit through Dynamite. AEW needs to get their shit together.

·
12,645 Posts
Strong win when I rarely see his JD Drakes face on Dynamite? We also knew Peter Bononi, Avalon and even the guy from Acclaimed were gonna job going into their respective matches because we haven't been seeing much of them on Dynamite. Then there's Varsity Blondes, Hybrid2 and more recently Bear Country. It's too obvious that these guys are sent to Dynamite to job because they're Dark mainstays. Makes it too predictable.
I meant more a tough physical opponent to beat the shit out of Darby and for him to come back

·
Registered
27,108 Posts
Quick Full Show Review:

*Max Caster.....I don't get the hype y'all. Like, on the mic, I get it. But in the ring? In singles action? He's just not there yet at at all. Most everything he did in this match was so basic. Even the spot he where he leaped to the top rope he slipped, and Hangman had to just wait for him until he got up there.

And the finish? You have Hangman kick out of a chained fist? Why waste that on TV? If you're gonna do that kind of spot, Max should win. Save a kickout of that for something like a PPV. In the end Hangman wins which is at least the right outcome. It seems like he might be getting a title shot sooner than we all thought.

*The Death Triangle / Best Friends interaction was kind of weird. I like them brining up old history but everything around it just seemed odd. Did like hearing PAC and Trent on the mic again.

*Jericho's promo....what to say? Well, first it was LONG AS HELL. But, it was very entertaining in the amount of disses he made.

Honestly what made me chuckle was Chris's kind of half assed way of apologizing for all the horrible things he and the IC had done in the past year. I guess that's their way of "atoning" for all of the horrible things they've done. And while it was funny to see him burying all of the IC guys, I reiterate a point I've made that they Pinnacle just formed a few weeks ago and already feel not as important as they did because they've been made to look like fools in the past 2 weeks.

And just to skip ahead to the Tyson segment....again, did not make the Pinnacle look good. I mean even when Tyson's music hit, Wardlow had time to put Jericho through the table. And then 6 men run from 1 man in Tyson. Oh except Spears because a punching bag had to stay behind. I mean at least the story with Jericho & Tyson wrapped up so we're not waiting on a future match.

*I imagine Christian will not be joining Team Taz but rather feuding against them, which I'm down for. Christian Cage vs. Brian Cage (teehee), or Christian vs. Starks sounds cool to me. Hell, Christian could probably do a lot with Hobbs too.

*JE vs. Bear Country was a fun overall tag match. Nice to see JE get a solid win. I think the thing with Bear Country that makes it hard to get invested in their matches, even though their huge and fun to watch, is that you feel like you barely know anything about them. I mean as far as their run on Dynamite goes they've had zero promo time.

*Oh my God guys! Sting came out for a promo! And then......are you ready for this......He got interrupted! Oh my God I've never seen this before!

Speaking seriously, I do like that this week Sting at least said something. Sting always has such a smooth and slick voice on the mic. The whole Archer stuff is kind of getting comical. He comes out basically whining about getting used and then sitting on the sidelines, which is just code for booking didn't know what to do with you here and there. And for weeks now, instead of just beating someone up, he just keeps talking and whining. Archer just needs to kick someone's ass, please.

*Darby vs. JD Drake was predictably a fun match. Knowing both guys from Evolve I knew they could deliver a fun match. Problem with JD is the same as Bear Country in the sense where you don't really know that much about him, though the Road to Dynamite helped a bit with that. In the end I thought both men did well and Darby sold like a champ. Oh and then we got a DO and Hardy Family brawl.....yay.

*Conti vs. Bunny: Oh look, another DO vs. Hardy Family brawl......because that's what we fucking needed! Like, I'm sorry guys, but after seeing last week and then seeing them do the same thing this week, I'm just numb to this at this point. AEW cannot help themselves from having like 10 people at ringside. I will say at least Tay looked good at the end. She's improved so much.

*The main event......look, action overall was solid.

But, when I was hoping that the Bucks would side with Kenny, I was hoping that they would just straight up turn heel in vicious fashion, with evil shit eating grins on their faces. But no, we get more CONFLICTED BUCKS. We get more forced drama during and after the main event because they just can't bring themselves to hit their best friend even if their best friend is a jerk.

And the thing is the Bucks have been doing this kind of forced drama for 3 years now, even before AEW. And I'm sorry, I'm just over it. Hell, even the people on social media, most of them didn't like this or treated it with complete indifference.

So yeah, if you couldn't judge by my overall tone I really didn't care for this episode. Some of the matches were good but overall I'm just not into some of the stories they're pushing right now.

·
Premium Member
1,947 Posts
Let me also say that Y2J cut one of the most passionate promos I’ve seen from him since the inception of AEW. My drunk friends that give no fucks about wrestling even thought it was aces. AEW put on a show tonight.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Awesome Jericho promo aside and the Pickle looking peppered (which I mentioned in the other thread), two notes on this episode.

-Impressive promo from Ogogo. Loved his RockNRolla Guy Ritchie style.

-So Ambrose is getting turned on to the surprise of noone, and then out comes Eddie Kingston hobbling along like Urkel and get's put down with one punch. Just what's the point anymore? Looked like a goof.

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
Boring match-ups tonight (why is this guy I don't even know the name of the third ranked wrestler on the roster?), boring matches, boring.

Other than a bunch of indie wrestlers working the show, the big issue remains these pointlessly lengthy matches on television that make it so half the roster is on and off television every other week. They actually had Lance Archer do a promo asking why there is no time for him on tv. It's because there are too few matches, and there are too few matches because the matches are too long.

I once again just turned the show off at the main event. Do not want. This is not how you book a main event. If you're doing a 3v3, it should be star, star, star vs star, star, star. It should have been Sting, Christian and Mox vs Omega, PAC and Tyson. Totally different level main event. No one cares about Bullet Club in America or Europe.

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
So my theory on the main event is that Dynamite went short but they wanted to use their full TV, so they dragged out the finish a bit. It's often happened the opposite where they had to rush the finish.

·
Registered
4,101 Posts
I was very disappointed in tonight’s episode. I’m switching to putting WWE first again, with AEW second.

With wrestling, there’s a certain threshold where fans can accept feeling like “WTF? That was stupid and fake”.

AEW continues to give me that feeling way too often, accentuated by the Exploding Barbed Wire Deathmatch finish.

Tonight’s episode, again, had me scratching my head going “WTF? That’s stupid” again and again.

Too much.

I’m not just being negative, I loved the Inner Circle stuff. Jericho’s promo was one of the best I’ve ever seen from him.

I still like Hangman, and have known he’d dethrone Kenny for the world title ever since they broke up, so I want to see his storyline through.

I love how AEW’s wrestlers talk. The promos feel natural across the show. This is where they’re head and shoulders above WWE.

But the direction. What the hell was Sting’s motivation for giving a random heel a pep talk about his inconsistent booking? So stupid. Why draw attention to inconsistent booking? I didn’t even realise it until they told me themselves how bad Tony Kahn’s booking has been.

Sting sold it, so it’s true - Tony Kahn is officially a dumb booker in AEW kayfabe.

It’s canon now.

Sting‘s character likes to motivate scumbag characters now. What a douche.

Kenny Omega gets dropped on his head - twice - and he sits up like the Undertaker so Moxley can do the planned sleeper finish.

So dumb, so fake.

Old fat guy from the local pub dominates your best young babyface in Darby Allin who sells like a million bucks... dumb and fake.

Christian’s promo... great. Loved it. I understood everything he was trying to do with it, and appreciate the talent to pull it off.

QT’s promo... great. Felt real, and introduced me to the new characters, albeit without any graphics so I didn’t really internalise their names. But the attempt was a first for AEW - I still don’t know the names of everyone in the Inner Circle.

15 people brawling with an 11yo kid out there? Fake and dumb.

Jericho’s enemy Mike Tyson appears and everybody ignores him, then he helps Jericho by beating up Shawn Spears who was 100% ignoring Tyson. Dumb and fake. Tyson looked like someone who would genuinely fight someone - that’s the aura you need to create in these brawls. Stop the over-rehearsed cooperative dance routines where almost nobody gives off a vibe of being a genuinely tough dude who could beat you up in a back alley behind a pub.

So it might surprise you when I say I liked when Orange Cassidy said he’s friends with an alien now.

The casual way they said it was funny, and they weren’t actually selling me the idea it’s an alien, so there was nothing fake for me to see through. We were all on the same page in the same book. That’s the difference.

If you are selling something as real, then it has to look real 99% of the time.
They better smooth over the stupid cracks fast or we’ll be seeing AEW wrestlers on WWE programming more than just the occasional Broken Skulls session.

·
Registered
2,900 Posts
Storylines aside for the moment, I have to say last night's Dynamite was one of the weakest from an in-ring perspective in a long time.

- The show usually has a hot opener but Hangman vs. Caster fell flat. This was down to Caster still being green. His character work is good, but he's basic af in the ring and his execution needs some work. Hangman looked good enough but the match was below his standards. Caster should return to his tag team now and continue to gain experience on Dark. He's a project for down the line but is not a singles guy yet.

- Jurassic Express vs. Bear Country was kinda fun but very sloppy. Luchasaurus has not progressed at all as an in-ring talent and wrestles like a robot. It's disappointing as I feel like he could be something more, but it's probably never gonna happen. He's a good novelty act for the kids but I don't see him warranting a big push. This was a corporate synergy match to promote Kong vs. Godzilla and make some money, but did nothing for either team. Bear Country can go places but need some sort of direction - I would suggest Team Taz.

- Darby vs. JD was the best match of the show and I can't complain about it, except to say it was nothing special and I've seen episodes of Dynamite with two or three better matches. Darby's matches against Cage and Scorpio Sky stood out a lot more. It was the first match of the show that felt polished and wasn't botchy. JD worked hard and looked good, but I think Dark is the place for him.

- Tay vs. Bunny was ok and probably better than it should have been thanks to Tay. Just nothing memorable and I don't like the Dark Order/Hardy Group shit at ringside in these matches as they are always diverting your attention away from the ring.

- Probably the biggest in-ring disappointment for me was the main event. An all-star affair that had the looks of a hot NJPW style sprint. While I acknowledge their attempts to tell an in-ring story, the work itself was lacking. Anderson was probably my favourite in this match, he's really underrated. Compare to Kenny/Good Brothers vs. Mox/PAC/Fenix (still one of my favourite AEW multi-person tags and a legit 4 star match), Bucks/Good Brothers vs. Dark Order, Mox/Archer/Fenix vs. Kingston/Butcher/Blade main events from this year and it was far inferior. I've accepted that referees tend to not give a damn, much like they often don't in Mexico or NJPW, but the ref just stood there forever while the Bucks deliberated whether to hurt Kenny or not, in blatant violation of the rules.

Dynamite usually guarantees a good level of work and a couple of at least '3 star' range matches, but this show felt like a write-off, perhaps because of what was opposing it. Next week should be a return to form.

·
Registered
9,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #434
Storylines aside for the moment, I have to say last night's Dynamite was one of the weakest from an in-ring perspective in a long time.

- The show usually has a hot opener but Hangman vs. Caster fell flat. This was down to Caster still being green. His character work is good, but he's basic af in the ring and his execution needs some work. Hangman looked good enough but the match was below his standards. Caster should return to his tag team now and continue to gain experience on Dark. He's a project for down the line but is not a singles guy yet.

- Jurassic Express vs. Bear Country was kinda fun but very sloppy. Luchasaurus has not progressed at all as an in-ring talent and wrestles like a robot. It's disappointing as I feel like he could be something more, but it's probably never gonna happen. He's a good novelty act for the kids but I don't see him warranting a big push. This was a corporate synergy match to promote Kong vs. Godzilla and make some money, but did nothing for either team. Bear Country can go places but need some sort of direction - I would suggest Team Taz.

- Darby vs. JD was the best match of the show and I can't complain about it, except to say it was nothing special and I've seen episodes of Dynamite with two or three better matches. Darby's matches against Cage and Scorpio Sky stood out a lot more. It was the first match of the show that felt polished and wasn't botchy. JD worked hard and looked good, but I think Dark is the place for him.

- Tay vs. Bunny was ok and probably better than it should have been thanks to Tay. Just nothing memorable and I don't like the Dark Order/Hardy Group shit at ringside in these matches as they are always diverting your attention away from the ring.

- Probably the biggest in-ring disappointment for me was the main event. An all-star affair that had the looks of a hot NJPW style sprint. While I acknowledge their attempts to tell an in-ring story, the work itself was lacking. Compare to Kenny/Good Brothers vs. Mox/PAC/Fenix (still one of my favourite AEW multi-person tags and a legit 4 star match), Bucks/Good Brothers vs. Dark Order, Mox/Archer/Fenix vs. Kingston/Butcher/Blade main events from this year and it was far inferior. I've accepted that referees tend to not give a damn, much like they often don't in Mexico or NJPW, but the ref just stood there forever while the Bucks deliberated whether to hurt Kenny or not, in blatent violation of the rules.

Dynamite usually guarantees a good level of work and a couple of at least '3 star' range matches, but this show felt like a write-off, perhaps because of what was opposing it. Next week should be a return to form.
agreed, not their best in-ring night

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
72 characters on screen tonight according to Luchablog, not including commentators, referees, or interviewers.

More 50-something celebrities in Tyson and Meyer for no reason.

Darby Allin apparently only defends his title against unranked opponents.

Rosa beats Britt and then disappears while Britt gets a promo celebration and apparently a higher ranking.

There is apparently nobody going after the tag belts, no TNT title feud, no real women's title feud

Mox vs Omega will apparently never end

Sting continues to do the same segment every week

Commentary still a train wreck

Refs still worthless

Constant jump starts, interference, post-match beat downs

Everybody is in a faction, some are factions inside of factions

Brand new top heel faction has been made to look like worthless goofballs two straight weeks

Tons of botches this episode

This is a bad television program. This is indistinguishable from Impact or Raw at this point.

·
Registered
2,900 Posts
famicommander said:
There is apparently nobody going after the tag belts, no TNT title feud, no real women's title feud
Here you go, with a visual guide.

PAC/Fenix won the contendership in the battle royale and PAC is now back from a busted ankle, hence...

EyaktkJWgAMOTEn.jpg

And Hardy has been beefing with Darby for a few weeks and promo'd him in the bleachers on Dark.

EyakrZBWUAAABbb.jpg

Darby Allin apparently only defends his title against unranked opponents.
Even though I'm a critic of the ranking system, when has the TNT title EVER been presented as one linked to the rankings? Darby is listed there as a champion more for visual purposes than anything.

From the very start with Cody it has been presented as an open challenge TV title, like the WCW version, hence unsigned guys like Warhorse, Starks and Kingston challenging. This allows them to be flexible with how they use their TV-based title. It can be used in an opening match (vs. Janela) or main event (vs. Cage).

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
No reason to lie about last night's show being good or enjoyable lol
I must admit that I enjoyed it but I was playing Monster Hunter during the show. General consensus seems to be that people are not liking The Young Bucks/Omega storyline, so hopefully they can turn that around.

I think it is almost a relief that the Bucks finally turned, rather than a dramatic moment. They've been in this awkward "will they won't they" holding pattern since they super kicked Alex Marvez and Tony Schiavone. When was that? Nearly a year ago?

·
Registered
28,130 Posts
I must admit that I enjoyed it but I was playing Monster Hunter during the show. General consensus seems to be that people are not liking The Young Bucks/Omega storyline, so hopefully they can turn that around.

I think it is almost a relief that the Bucks finally turned, rather than a dramatic moment. They've been in this awkward "will they won't they" holding pattern since they super kicked Alex Marvez and Tony Schiavone. When was that? Nearly a year ago?
Last night's show was bad, at first it seemed to be a show acknowledging some of the criticisms which was good. Then it went back to the usual stuff. But this story just isn't interesting. As somebody not enamored with Bullet Club it's just a think of how long are you going to milk this shit. On top of it being Way too predictable. Predictable isn't bad, but this was the bad kind. They'd have been better off just having the Buck not address Kenny.

421 - 440 of 479 Posts