Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 479 Posts

·
Registered
9,671 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok guys... this is my first time doing this

I’ll add stuff to this post as we go along - like all the Road To’s and so on

but for now, have at it and Happy Easter!

1. The Inner Circle has their say

Road to premiere

Cody’s promo is worth adding for discussion this week

Hangman & Max

Rankings

·
Registered
991 Posts
Line up looks good so far.

Jungle Express v Bear Country is a fun match up with a clash of styles. IC v Pinnacle is my favourite storyline atm so I'm hoping for some good progression. The trio's match should be good. Hope we see some progression with The Bucks dynamic here - potentially a turn or a swerve. I'm not a fan of random 6 mans on the regular but enjoy them when it makes storyline sense, like this one (and most of the recent ones tbf).

Always like seeing Darby and he needs title defences - although the opponent feels a bit random? Happy to see Tay Conti being pushed and featured regularly - just hope she can carry the Bunny to a good match. What's the chances this devolves into another generic brawl though? I hope not, mix it up somehow.

I'm fine with them changing up who gets on TV but I would really appreciate seeing more of Britt Baker getting stuck into a juicy feud.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
I wish they would have saved that Inner Circle return for this week. Especially since there was already like 25 brawls on last week's show. Would have been nice to milk this a little longer. Feels like we just had that Pinnacle promo, now we are getting an inner circle promo very soon after. The rest of the card is meh. Darby's match doesn't interest me. Bunny and Conti is once again about factions like everything else in this company cause heaven forbid the women just have a feud with each other. I don't like Young Buck matches but the six man should probably be good. So yeah, just an average looking show this week. Since NXT is doing a takeover, I wonder how many viewers AEW will get

·
Registered
26,986 Posts
Looks like an interesting show.

With the 6 man tag, it really doesn't matter how good or not good it is. You're really just waiting for one thing. You're waiting to see if the Bucks are going to turn on Mox and finally join Kenny & The Good Brothers or if they stay faces. Personally I hope they go heel and just get it over with already but we'll see. I can't really predict it either way yet.

OK, so I'll say this again. Can we just make the TNT Championship the Open Challenge Title? Because some of these TNT Championship matches lately have been kind of ridiculous. JD Drake? And don't get me wrong, I'm a JD Drake fan from his days in Evolve. I'm honestly surprised NXT didn't snatch him up. But seriously, the guy is 1-4 in his AEW career. And he gets a title shot why? Like, the match will be good and if this were non title I'd be all for it. But as a title match? Again, why?

The Inner Circle still feel like they came back a week or 2 too early. And while Jericho said this isn't over, the IC already got their revenge. So now the Pinnacle have to come back even stronger since they're so new as a group. I'll be interested to see how they can pull that off, but it's a dangerous game to play.

Don't really care much for the women's match knowing that DO and the Hardy Clan will be all over it again. I hope I'm pleasantly surprised.

And JE vs. BC should be a fun tag match.

·
THE MAN has come around to collect her debts.
14,615 Posts
Looks like an interesting show.

With the 6 man tag, it really doesn't matter how good or not good it is. You're really just waiting for one thing. You're waiting to see if the Bucks are going to turn on Mox and finally join Kenny & The Good Brothers or if they stay faces. Personally I hope they go heel and just get it over with already but we'll see. I can't really predict it either way yet.

OK, so I'll say this again. Can we just make the TNT Championship the Open Challenge Title? Because some of these TNT Championship matches lately have been kind of ridiculous. JD Drake? And don't get me wrong, I'm a JD Drake fan from his days in Evolve. I'm honestly surprised NXT didn't snatch him up. But seriously, the guy is 1-4 in his AEW career. And he gets a title shot why? Like, the match will be good and if this were non title I'd be all for it. But as a title match? Again, why?

The Inner Circle still feel like they came back a week or 2 too early. And while Jericho said this isn't over, the IC already got their revenge. So now the Pinnacle have to come back even stronger since they're so new as a group. I'll be interested to see how they can pull that off, but it's a dangerous game to play.

Don't really care much for the women's match knowing that DO and the Hardy Clan will be all over it again. I hope I'm pleasantly surprised.

And JE vs. BC should be a fun tag match.
Darby actually said in a promo he was running open challenges, so that explains the Drake match. But yeah I would have picked someone else.

·
Registered
#FreeTheAussies
7,749 Posts
Weak card.. Conti is always worth looking at, but another Young Bucks clusterfuck (now with Moxley), the continuation of a feud nobody wants to see between Cody and his friend, a Pinnacle vs IC segment for something that´s already over, a "battle of the beasts" between a Dinosaur and his boy, and some bears. and finally a TNT title match against a guy nobody have heard of.
Compare to NXT:
NXT Women’s Championship: Io Shirai (c) vs. Raquel Gonzalez
NXT Tag Team Championships (Titles Are Vacant): MSK vs. Grizzled Young Veterans vs. Legado del Fantasma
NXT UK Championship: WALTER (c) vs. Tommaso Ciampa
Six-Man Gauntlet Eliminator Match – The Winner Gets US Title Match on Night Two of NXT Takeover Stand & Deliver

This is not the way to increase AEW viewership.. Now, I know NXT is trying to end on a highnote, but it almost looks like AEW doesn´t even try to compete with this episode.

·
Registered
9,319 Posts
Weak card.. Conti is always worth looking at, but another Young Bucks clusterfuck (now with Moxley), the continuation of a feud nobody wants to see between Cody and his friend, a Pinnacle vs IC segment for something that´s already over, a "battle of the beasts" between a Dinosaur and his boy, and some bears. and finally a TNT title match against a guy nobody have heard of.
Compare to NXT:
NXT Tag Team Championships (Titles Are Vacant): MSK vs. Grizzled Young Veterans vs. Legado del Fantasma
Six-Man Gauntlet Eliminator Match – The Winner Gets US Title Match on Night Two of NXT Takeover Stand & Deliver

This is not the way to increase AEW viewership.. Now, I know NXT is trying to end on a highnote, but it almost looks like AEW doesn´t even try to compete with this episode.
I mean how can they compete with a PPV ?

Would be a bad idea to try to compete against a takeover.

·
Registered
#FreeTheAussies
7,749 Posts
I mean how can they compete with a PPV ?

Would be a bad idea to try to compete against a takeover.
They can´t compete with a takeover, but this almost looks like they admit defeat without trying. I´m not saying they should do an AEW title match on free tv (would be a waste of time, since Omega would retain). But they could at least have done a title match with someone a little more high profile than that Drake guy or NOT have another multi-man match including the Young Bucks. People will say there´s a storyline reason for it, but we see the exact same match from them almost every week. And Jurassic express against some guys who spend their time on Dark? Could have been Team Taz, since they´re breaking up anyway, taking a loss here wouldn´t hurt them.

·
THE MAN has come around to collect her debts.
14,615 Posts
Compare to NXT:

Doesn’t really matter the “war” is over. There’s no point in them blowing their load to try and compete with Takeover, most of the cable floaters will probably be watching that regardless, it’s their WMania and the card is out of control. Some times you’re just gonna have weaker cards for Dynamite but they usually tend to deliver a good show even when the card looks lackluster. Last weeks card was also weak and we ended up with a fun show. You also don’t want to give away big matches every week then you have to eventually resort to running rematches all the time. I think the card is fine for a regular episode of Dynamite with segments in between.

·
Registered
28,007 Posts
Compare to NXT:

They'll probably still beat them in the ratings

·
Registered
#FreeTheAussies
7,749 Posts
Doesn’t really matter the “war” is over. There’s no point in them blowing their load to try and compete with Takeover, most of the cable floaters will probably be watching that regardless, it’s their WMania and the card is out of control. Some times you’re just gonna have weaker cards for Dynamite but they usually tend to deliver a good show even when the card looks lackluster. Last weeks card was also weak and we ended up with a fun show. You also don’t want to give away big matches every week then you have to eventually resort to running rematches all the time. I think the card is fine for a regular episode of Dynamite with segments in between.
Well, last weeks card was weak, and we ended up with a show ;) I haven´t really expressed my opinions of it, but it was not the superfun and great show some of you guys seems to think it was.. But let´s not go into a discussion about LAST week, this one is for THIS weeks show.
And again; They can´t compete with a Takeover, but they could at least have made it look like they tried -even without blowing their load (which btw is no concern of theirs, they do it all the time).. I suggested Team Taz against Jurassic express which would be a much bigger match than Bear Country, and it could be the start of a Team Taz/Jurassic express program, or used to further the split of Team Taz, but it´s not "blowing a load" of anything.
AEW lost a lot of viewers after Revolution, they should do their best to get them back instead of just going weak card after weak card, and rest in the belief that now NXT is moving, the viewers will return. And maybe they will, but if they hadn´t left, then maybe the extra 100-200K viewers would be in addition instead of being the return of fans they lost.

·
Registered
2,759 Posts
Mox/Bucks vs. Kenny/Good Brother is a good TV main event in the AEW style of booking because of its non-jobber involvement (ie. no obvious loser like so many six-mans have) plus the question of what the Bucks will do (hopefully they will turn heel and not cop out like last time).

Nice promo from JD on the Road to Dynamite. Sounds a bit like Arn.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I like this JD Drake guy though I've always had a soft spot/preference for husky southern guys who hit hard lol. Always amuses me how effortlessly AEW makes me care about matches by just letting guys talk like that. It worked in wrestling forever but only one place insists otherwise. Only reason I'm watching WM this year is due to being invited to my friend's apartment lol.

Wish they'd put some of this Road To stuff on TV, especially the JD promo. IMO it would add a lot to the show.

1 - 20 of 479 Posts