Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Figured this would be a cool thread to keep around. No need to keep it specific to any genre or type of music, just tell us who you saw, where you saw them, how they were, pros/cons of the event. I'll kick it off :D

Thrice w/ La Dispute, Moving Mountains, O'Brother
Starland Ballroom - Sayreville, New Jersey

First, the sound at Starland has sucked over the last year. I don't know what happened, but it's so muddled. All you hear is bass drum and vocals, barely any guitar at all. Besides that, all the bands performed very well.

I only caught the final two songs of O'Brother's set, however I was really impressed. I can hear a wide range of influences from Radiohead to Mogwai to Pearl Jam. Their debut album is coming out later this month, I'm definitely checking it out.

Moving Mountains was awesome. I love this band, got a shirt :D

La Dispute was pretty much mind blowing. The singer's delivery and lyrical content is genius. They played some older stuff, but I really love the stuff off the new album. Has an At The Drive-In type feel with the quirky guitar riffs and rhythmic vocal style. Love it!

Thrice was Thrice. I've never been a huge fan, but I have respect for them. They were really tight, and put on a good show. Plus they had awesome bands tour with them, so props on that as well.

This tour is still hitting all over North America for the next month. Definitely check it out if its close to your area. Here's a link to the tour dates

·
FUCK WHAT YOU THINK
6,560 Posts
I'm seeing City & Colour tomorrow night, so I'll let you know.

Also this month I've got WU LFY, Submotion Orchestra, Defeater & Every Time I Die.

·
FUCK WHAT YOU THINK
6,560 Posts
My bank balance isn't happy about it. Two of these cocksuckers are in London!

·
YES! YES! YES!
10,405 Posts
Saw mc chris two nights ago at a small place in Atlanta, GA. Totally different style of show than I'm used to (mainly a rock/metal guy) but was a hell of a lot of fun. Met chris after the show and he was a pretty cool dude.

Seeing Bush/Chevelle/Filter in Atlanta tomorrow night.

Also got Red (acoustic/electric show), Guns n' Roses/Buckcherry, Foo Fighters/Social Distortion/The Joy Formidable, I Fight Dragons, Five Finger Death Punch/All That Remains, Staind, The Devil Wears Prada, and an acoustic set from Corey Taylor of Slipknot/Stone Sour lined up to finish out the year.

·
The Beatles are bigger than Jesus
1,330 Posts
I went to see the Jonas Hellborg Group (Jonas Hellborg obviously, Regi Wooten, Dodoo Abass) featuring Ginger Banker. Quite awesome. Concert started off with Jonas alone on stage playing a 15 minute solo. Dude is a monster. Ginger Baker can still drum like a motherfucker but want kinda made me worry is that he needed help to get off stage and walk. :(

Oh and in December I'm going to Frank Turner. So excited. :hb

·
King in the North
1,279 Posts
I've seen Mumford & Sons, Rise Against (w/Bad Religion), U2, and Weird Al. I think if I had to rank them from my favorite to least favorite it would look like this:

1) Mumford & Sons. By far. They were amazing.
2) Rise Against
3) U2
4) Weird Al

They were all good concerts, don't get me wrong. I just thought Mumford & Sons was the greatest thing since sliced bread. I'm dying to see the Red Hot Chili Peppers and the Avett Brothers in concert though. Hopefully those will be my next shows.

·
FUCK WHAT YOU THINK
6,560 Posts
^ Will do.

Mumford & Sons are boring as fuck.

·
Registered
5,013 Posts
I've seen Mumford & Sons, Rise Against (w/Bad Religion), U2, and Weird Al. I think if I had to rank them from my favorite to least favorite it would look like this:

1) Mumford & Sons. By far. They were amazing.
2) Rise Against
3) U2
4) Weird Al

They were all good concerts, don't get me wrong. I just thought Mumford & Sons was the greatest thing since sliced bread. I'm dying to see the Red Hot Chili Peppers and the Avett Brothers in concert though. Hopefully those will be my next shows.
Holy fuck. What a splooge-tastic list. I'm jealous. :eek:

·
Registered
5,013 Posts
Yah, me and Rocky both had amazing times at Taylor's Speak Now tour over the Summer. I'm sure you guys are shocked by this. :side:

I might actually go again now too. I wasn't planning on it, but new tickets are going on sale for her show at the RBC Center down here on Friday. (Y)

·
YES! YES! YES!
10,405 Posts
I've seen over 80 bands in the last two years, so I'm just gonna do a top 5 lol:

1. Apocalyptica (March 20, 2011 The Valarium in Knoxville, TN)- seriously, the stuff these guys do with cellos is outstanding. And a hell of a fun concert too.

2. Karnivool (August 22, 2010 The Masquerade in Atlanta, GA) - These guys kill it live, then took the time to chill and talk after the show. Great show.

3. Times of Grace (February 2, 2011 The Masquerade) - What can I say? Awesome band, small venue, 2nd show they've ever done, got a setlist and met Adam D and Jesse Leach. Plus they played the whole album almost and it sounded awesome.

4. Nonpoint (too many times to count) - Amazing. Every show is better than the last I've been to.

5. Avenged Sevenfold (6 times) - I know people hate on them but damn if the live shows aren't awesome.

·
FUCK WHAT YOU THINK
6,560 Posts
I'd love to see Karnivool during their Themeta tour.

·
YES! YES! YES!
10,405 Posts
I'd love to see Karnivool during their Themeta tour.
They were awesome. Crowd was into every song, and they sounded great.

Being that they don't come around often since they are Aussie based, I hung out after the show around their bus to try and catch the guys and get 'em to sign a flier from the show. Their tour manager struck up a conversation with me and started asking me about the area and such and seemed shocked that I'd traveled an hour and a half to see them (which was hilarious because I do that regularly and many people had come from much farther than me lol). The guys all took a few minutes to chat and sign my flier, and were really cool dudes. Definitely would love to see them again, but that's probably gonna be awhile.

·
FUCK WHAT YOU THINK
6,560 Posts
That's pretty badass. They've got a new album in production so hopefully they'll do a worldwide tour or something so I can catch them in the UK.

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
Top Five Shows:

1. Pearl Jam (Hamilton, ON, 2011) - amazing energy and passion, long set list which they change every night, covers, special guests (the guys from the opening band Mudhoney joined them to play Search and Destroy by The Stooges, highlight of the night for me, Neil Young had joined them in Toronto a few days earlier for Rockin' in the Free World, a show I regret not going to)

2. KISS (Toronto, ON, 2010) - They say KISS is a show band and that is absolutely true but I happen to like their music so when you've got awesome music mixed with pyro and moving stages it makes for an awesome concert experience

3. Paul McCartney (Toronto, ON, 2010) - LONG setlist with favorites spanning his entire career

4. Slayer (Toronto, ON, 2010) - no theatrics or nothing, just a wall of amps, fog, and the loudest and fastest metal you will ever hear with the most insane fans

5. Slayer (Toronto, ON, 2011) - That's right, both Slayer shows I saw feature in my top 5 list. The only thing different about the show was the setlist, it's just the energy and passion from both the fans and the band is amazing at a Slayer show

I would absolutely go see all these bands again and again.

Upcoming shows: Yngwie Malmsteen, Anthrax, Judas Priest, Mastodon (maybe twice), Corey Taylor

Shows I still need to see: Metallica, AC/DC, Red Hot Chili Peppers (if I see these three, my concert journey will be satisfied but certainly not over)

1 - 20 of 53 Posts