Wrestling Forum banner

21 - 40 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
Good for OC and shows how the audience isn't always going to choose someone you think they would.Just Cuz they are in the WWE doesn't necessarily mean the popularity is automatically more.

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
Well no, because one label kind of represents us and we like it (Because we do get angry occasionally) whilst the other one is just calling us assholes for no reason.
That nickname was before my time here and I'd say a fair portion of this community would agree on mine lol.You guys come off aggro a good portion of the time I prefer my take on it.....to each their own.

Reactions: HBK Styles Ospreay

·
Registered
#FreeTheAussies
6,455 Posts
That nickname was before my time here and I'd say a fair portion of this community would agree on mine lol.You guys come off aggro a good portion of the time I prefer my take on it.....to each their own.
You know that if you keep using that, one of the Aussies is gonna reply back in the same tone, then someone will jump in to defend you, others will defend the Aussies and then it escalates

·
Banned
WF Legend
7,709 Posts
You know that if you keep using that, one of the Aussies is gonna reply back in the same tone, then someone will jump in to defend you, others will defend the Aussies and then it escalates
Yup. It's the epitome of bait. We're telling him "Hey you might think it's funny but we don't really think it's representative of us, stop doing it" and he says "Nah most people would agree you're assholes so I'll keep using it"

Then one of us lashes out and we're the bad guys, lol

·
Registered
#FreeTheAussies
6,455 Posts
Yup. It's the epitome of bait. We're telling him "Hey you might think it's funny but we don't really think it's representative of us, stop doing it" and he says "Nah most people would agree you're assholes so I'll keep using it"

Then one of us lashes out and we're the bad guys, lol
Well , I said my piece, I´m not gonna comment further on it

·
Premium Member
Geekslayer
10,364 Posts
Well 2020 was the worst year in our lifetimes so it makes perfect sense Trashidy would be most associated with it.

·
THE MAN has come around to collect her debts.
12,827 Posts
PWI is credible but this one is a head scratcher indeed. How could Orange Cassidy be the most popular wrestler of 2020 when he's beaten follower wise by heaps of people in NXT and the majority of the WWE main roster?

For example I picked Johnny Gargano who is the midcard champion on WWE NXT, lets compare popularity stats:

Gargano:

Instagram: 564,000 followers

Twitter: 319,000 followers

Total: 883,000 followers

---

Orange:

Instagram: 192,000 followers

Twitter: 134,000 followers

Total: 326,000 followers

---

Toni Storm who has only just recently debuted on American TV doesn't have Twitter but her Instagram beats out Orange's Instagram and Twitter by itself with 498,000 followers.

AJ Styles who was last years and 2018's most popular wrestlers popularity stats are as follows:

Instagram: 2.3 million

Twitter: 1.1 million

Total: 3.4 million

---

Doesn't seem right, would be interested to know what they've based this on.
I'm assuming Youtube engagement plays a big part. OC-related videos are getting more views than top WWE stars such as Reigns, Cena, McIntyre, Lesnar, Rollins, Becky etc. The guy gets praised like crazy in the comments and engagement which also is a factor for PWI I'm guessing.

13 million views.

8 million views.

Near 2 million views.

25 million views.

4.8 million views.

That's a lot of damn views altogether. Even his DARK match got about 2 million. Everyone doesn't have a social media account and if they do they probably mostly follow friends and family, but everyone definitely uses Youtube. That's my 2 cents anyway as far as PWI's reasoning.

·
Registered
7,451 Posts
Nobody is angry dude, stop baiting.

It's sad to see that PWI is only made up of a mainly smart mark audience these days but I guess that's pretty much what wrestling is now. What a sad sight that Orange Cassidy has won most popular wrestler joining the likes of Hulk Hogan, The Rock, Stone Cold, Shawn Michaels, Sting, Randy Savage, Dusty Rhodes, Roddy Piper, Andre The Giant, Jack Brisco and plenty of other legendary figures.
LOL who do you think read PWI all these years? Either you really are clueless how these 'most popular' votes go, or you were attempting to bait by bringing up social media number.

·
Banned
WF Legend
7,709 Posts
LOL who do you think read PWI all these years? Either you really are clueless how these 'most popular' votes go, or you were attempting to bait by bringing up social media number.
Can you please go away? You follow me around the forum harassing me every day for likes and it's obnoxious.

Pro Wrestling Illustrated to my knowledge back in the day was bought by general wrestling fans and sold pretty much everywhere which would make me think it was a popular magazine amongst casual and hardcore wrestling fans alike. I knew that had changed now but wasn't aware that it was a mainly smart mark magazine now.

And yes, I wasn't aware of how they came to the conclusion that Orange was the "most popular" until someone said it was a vote from the people who read PWI which makes sense.

·
NBA
5,290 Posts
It ain't really an absolute way of measuring who's the most popular wrestler in da world...

...but at least the results got voted instead of being pulled out of one random person's ass, so it's still more "credible" than the SI list, though that wasn't hard to accomplish, tbh.

Kudos to OC for having a sizeable fanbase, I guess?

·
Likes wrestling....
9,120 Posts
Just in case people missed it in their anger

i would like to point out it is popularity as voted by the PWI readers- ie> who do their readers like the most

nothing else enters into it
I have always heard it's not legit.

I mean maybe it is, but I have always under the impression that "everything" is a work including those awards.

There have been some pretty suspect tallies in the past.

And I don't mind if OC won, that would not bother me.

·
Registered
7,451 Posts
It ain't really an absolute way of measuring who's the most popular wrestler in da world...

...but at least the results got voted instead of being pulled out of one random person's ass, so it's still more "credible" than the SI list, though that wasn't hard to accomplish, tbh.

Kudos to OC for having a sizeable fanbase, I guess?
I think it would be a dedicate fanbase rather than sizeable. It is like those low ratings but beloved TV shows that win popularity polls in entertainment magazines.

·
Registered
25,972 Posts
I mean this makes a lot of sense. He was pretty over with folk and has a novel gimmick
Can you please go away? You follow me around the forum harassing me every day for likes and it's obnoxious.

Pro Wrestling Illustrated to my knowledge back in the day was bought by general wrestling fans and sold pretty much everywhere which would make me think it was a popular magazine amongst casual and hardcore wrestling fans alike. I knew that had changed now but wasn't aware that it was a mainly smart mark magazine now.

And yes, I wasn't aware of how they came to the conclusion that Orange was the "most popular" until someone said it was a vote from the people who read PWI which makes sense.
I used to buy them at Kroger(American grocery store chain) or CVS(American Pharmacy chain) up until about 7th grade in 05 then they were hard to find after that

·
NBA
5,290 Posts
I think it would be a dedicate fanbase rather than sizeable. It is like those low ratings but beloved TV shows that win popularity polls in entertainment magazines.

Well he managed to carve a fanbase for himself that's going to be loyal to him, promote and hype him ad nauseum online and get him pushes and the money that comes with it. He's gotta be happy.

A lot of those shows ended up getting extra exposure thanks to their loyal fanbases hyping and spamming the shit out of them online. Hell, I know of a couple albums that sold poorly when they came out but then sold a ton more over time thanks to word of mouth from fans.

·
Registered
5,915 Posts
He's an everyman wrestler that has that underdog thing going on, it makes sense.

The only fun I mightve had is listening to cornette rage about it but I dont listen to the fucker anymore

·
Registered
7,451 Posts
Well he managed to carve a fanbase for himself that's going to be loyal to him, promote and hype him ad nauseum online and get him pushes and the money that comes with it. He's gotta be happy.

A lot of those shows ended up getting extra exposure thanks to their loyal fanbases hyping and spamming the shit out of them online. Hell, I know of a couple albums that sold poorly when they came out but then sold a ton more over time thanks to word of mouth from fans.
Yeah I don't think even he expect the gimmick to be this over with the fans. Sometimes people just wants to laugh during a wrestling show.

Those shows did gain a few lifelines with those polls but ultimately all got dropped due to viewership numbers. As a Community fan it hurts to see it finally gained popularity during the pandemic after it moved to Netflix. Same people didn't care when it was on air or when it was on other streaming platform! lol

21 - 40 of 97 Posts