Wrestling Forum banner

81 - 100 of 105 Posts

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
This is clearly not true. They went all in on Roman. Vince wants another Hogan/Austin/Rock but only if that person is handpicked by Vince.

·
Registered
790 Posts
This is simply a reiteration of points already known, basically, WWE is a brand that sells itself regardless of who's on top. Meanwhile live attendance, network subscriptions and tv viewership are on a downward trend because 'We listen to our fans and give them what they want' :Vince
Problem is, the fan base is bipolar and doesn't know what they want.

It's like Harvey Dent on steroids.

·
Registered
6,209 Posts
So much for reaching for the brass ring isn't it, I suppose for some as long as they get the big money i doubt they care if they are top stars or not. I'm sure the failure and backlashof Reigns project probably just put a nail into that coffin of WWE wanting a top star anymore, just keep it as WWE as the top star. I'm sure they have their stars they protect but the days of having a Cena, Rock or a Austin are gone until a talent comes along and moves crazy merch and ratings. I don't see it happening in WWE, maybe in AEW a new Hogan, Austin, Rock or Cena comes along but definitely not in WWE.

·
Registered
31 Posts
The three best wrestlers in WWE this decade

1. Cena only wrestled 6/10 years

2. Bryan only wrestled 5/10 years

3. Punk only wrestled 4/10 years

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,440 Posts
They can find another Cena- just find someone who is genuinely likeable with really good mic skills and over push them down the fans throat for 7 years. I respect Cena but I’m not gonna fall for this changing of the narrative for him.

Rock? Nah that’s a once in a lifetime talent. They don’t have to worry about finding someone like him for a long time.

·
Registered
3,440 Posts
Cena was nothing more than the Roman Reigns of his era.
You can’t be serious LMAO. Cena is literally on wrestling Mount Rushmore
Nah. He’s not. Cena was more than Roman Reigns but the manner on how WWE pushed Reigns was literally built on the back of how they pushed Cena.

The “any reaction is a good reaction” was forged by the fans supercena hate from 2006-2012.

The crowd chanted “FU” Cena against the top heel of the company at mania 22.

Angle had to say he would make jesus tap to get boos against Cena and it didn’t work.

“If Cena wins we riot” and the ECW One Stand reaction and PPV. Only Roman Reigns the night after beating taker comes close to such a hateful crowd.

“Don’t tag cena” at survivor series 2011

Going over HHH and HBK and making them Tap to further make it known that Cena was the guy

“Let’s go Cena Cena Sucks” chants became synonymous with his matches

They had to adapt “polarizing” and make it a positive thing for the face of the company due to him getting booed soo much.

Kids loved Cena and Cena carried a down era as much as anyone could. He made a great transition to Hollywood as well.

But everyone mad about what Roman Reigns overpush became don’t have to look far, it forged with John Cena starting with his rap video that people found corny which correlated to boos starting in 2005 against Christian and Jericho.

·
Registered
109 Posts
The reality is they tried pushing Roman Reigns as be next Cena and it didn't work at all.

As the next Rock? That's a once a lifetime thing. I am not sure if and when that is possible.

Wwe would love that to happen. Trust me.

·
Premium Member
4,066 Posts
They don't want another one of them because they fear they could just bolt out of the WWE when they become bigger than what they think they could be. And they would prefer to have the original back instead.

·
Registered
937 Posts
I was never a Cena fan, but no one has been able to replace him and generate the numbers he did between 2005-2009. Heck, Punk, Reigns and Bryan couldn't outdraw an ageing Cena in the early to mid stages of this decade.

Sadly, both talent and creative have gotten even worse as the decade has progressed. I don't think Bryan and Punk were anywhere near as talented as Austin or Rock, but they were certainly better than Rollins and Gargano. The latter will probably get the Rollins/Reigns treatment when he joins the main roster.

I don't buy that WWE don't want another Cena. They just don't know how to create stars.

·
Banned
158 Posts
The history of the company consists of two chapters: Before and During Hulk Hogan and After Hulk Hogan. Hulk Hogan's championship runs were defined by the domination of giants, with the biggest performers drawing the largest crowds, generating the most enthusiasm and the most revenue: Andre, Warrior, Hulk, King Kong Bundy, Slaughter, along with many other colorful characters dominated this era. This was the era of the Big Man.

Even guys with exceptional physiques (esp by the standards of the era: Tito Santana, Orndorff, Savage, Steamboat, Rick Rude, etc. who were just a bit shorter and smaller, couldn't touch the WWE championship.

Post Hogan, the company has been defined by smaller performers: Bret Hart, Steve Austin, Shawn Michaels, and continuing on into the modern era, even smaller performers still like Kurt Angle, Eddie Guerrero, CM Punk and Daniel Bryan, even Rey Mysterio.

For whatever reason, the company's fans have embraced the underdog in a big way. Scrappy guys who outworked the rest of the locker room and were embraced by fans because they could identify with them.

Yes, there have been some monsters who have been extremely popular in the post Hogan era: Taker, Kane and Brock of course, but the trend towards embracing smaller athletes has continued unabated.

Cena was a bit of a 'tweener: a guy with an exceptional physique, yes, but nowhere near as tall as the likes of the giants who dominated the company in the 80's and 90's.

The problem is, the company has never truly embraced the change in fan's tastes and consciousness. And they have a bizarrely schizophrenic attitude towards it's champions: building them up, and then tearing them to pieces for no clear reason. Mickie James, Daniel Bryan, Kofi Kingston, Bayley to some extent, among many others.

The result is fan confusion, disillusionment, anger, and ultimately apathy and the abandonment of the brand. TV ratings are at an all time low. Attendance is embarrassing. The die hards on this forum complain endlessly.

Miraculously, the money keeps flowing in as the company has embraced globalism, pushing latino stars endlessly, traveling to Sharia Law Saudi Arabia, courting any and all cable networks, and endlessly exploiting the goodwill of it's incredibly loyal fanbase until they can take no more.

I'm amazed the company can sign such lucrative deals with cable companies and networks alike. Are they oblivious to the company's rock bottom ratings? Their ability to continue piling cash on top of new revenue is like watching water flow upstream.

The disparity between the ludicrously low quality of the product, vs the company's ability to keep making money defies any conventional explanation or even conspiracy theory. I simply have no explanation for it.

There is no end in sight to the declining quality of the product. The men's division has absolutely no one capable on the mic, zero compelling personalities, and the appeal of the women's division is inherently limited.

Strange days for a company that literally defined "quality" low brow entertainment for a quarter of a century beginning in the early 80's and extending shortly after the buyout of WCW and ECW.

It's been a long, painful downhill slide for the company. Most of it's current fans would have a hard time explaining to an outsider why they still watch: it';s 90% loyalty, and 10% hope for the future, but none of it's based on the current watchability of it's programming.

81 - 100 of 105 Posts