Wrestling Forum banner

61 - 80 of 105 Posts

·
Registered
12,712 Posts
We've heard this for a LONG time now and I'm just not buying it anymore.

You're telling me WWe crippled their whole roster to unsuccessfully try and get Charlotte and Roman over and they don't want big stars?

They want Rocks and Cenas, they're just incapable of making them and unwilling to let anyone but their chosen few do it on their own.

·
tombstone blues
14,293 Posts
If true this is the ten millionth thing demonstrating Vince has no fucking clue and should be forced out

Why wouldn't you want another rock or cena :aries2

·
Registered
3,787 Posts

You're telling me WWe crippled their whole roster to unsuccessfully try and get Charlotte and Roman over and they don't want big stars?

They want Rocks and Cenas, they're just incapable of making them and unwilling to let anyone but their chosen few do it on their own.
Well, at this point I think we should at consider the possibility that they cripple their roster to try and get over people who won't get over no matter what.

Let alone the fact that now more than ever people want variety. They managed to turn people on Rollins in the span of what, 8 months? Nobody is going to survive when people notice that other talents aren't allowed to shine so that they can continue their run on top.

I think Kofi's run is really telling about the times we live in: we could say he was the most over guy in the company at Mania, crowds were rabid and absolutely wanted him to win. And win he did. But that was it, people were over him already; the cool part was the chase, once he had the title, people were already looking for another fad.

·
Registered
12,712 Posts
Well, at this point I think we should at consider the possibility that they cripple their roster to try and get over people who won't get over no matter what.

Let alone the fact that now more than ever people want variety. They managed to turn people on Rollins in the span of what, 8 months? Nobody is going to survive when people notice that other talents aren't allowed to shine so that they can continue their run on top.

I think Kofi's run is really telling about the times we live in: we could say he was the most over guy in the company at Mania, crowds were rabid and absolutely wanted him to win. And win he did. But that was it, people were over him already; the cool part was the chase, once he had the title, people were already looking for another fad.
I can't disagree with any of that, especially the Kofi bit.

Don't get me wrong I was never in the Kofi should be champion bit, but seeing people who cheered him and were ravenous for him one month start booing him the the next and demanding he drop the title calling him the worst champion ever almost had me hoping he kept the title for over a year just to spit them.

·
Banned
5 Posts
They built around Hogan and he went to WCW, Bret and he went to WCW, Shawn and he retired, Austin and he retired, Rock and he went to Hollywood, Lesnar and he went to football.

WWE wants their brand to be their biggest attraction. They never want to risk their megastar leaving them ever again.

·
Read Only
258 Posts

You refuse to give the fans what they want and you choose the gay killing, woman beating Saudi government, washed up MMA stars, boxers, and the D listers over them?! If that's what you want Vince, then go to hell!

·
Registered
9,082 Posts
Wrestling is star-driven. They know this, they just push it to the backburner when it suits their agenda. Given that FOX are probably going to want something a bit more substantial, WWE will cave and want to create some stars. The question is whether or not they can anymore.

·
Registered
3,787 Posts
I can't disagree with any of that, especially the Kofi bit.

Don't get me wrong I was never in the Kofi should be champion bit, but seeing people who cheered him and were ravenous for him one month start booing him the the next and demanding he drop the title calling him the worst champion ever almost had me hoping he kept the title for over a year just to spit them.
Eh, I actually think long term it would help more if they gave in and did exactly what people want.

It takes a month for people to get bored of Kofi? Fine, let's move on and find someone else. Eventually, the fans themselves are going to get bored by the constant changing and won't bitch as much when somebody holds the title a bit longer.

·
Registered
352 Posts
So I came across the Observer and they mentioned an interesting point. Basically, the WWE's mission today is brand push not push wrestlers. This explains why there's a bipolar win loss column, and evidence that noone had been massively over in the push category since Cena. This is by design. Not an accident. Look what happened to Bryan. Russive, etc. WWE feels its brand is the marquee and selling point. Their PPVs like Mania and Saudi Arabia are now their selling point not the talent. They don't want the company to rely on any major stars in fear also of losing what they invest in them if they end up leaving to cinema or to say AEW.

This is pretty sad. What are your thoughts?
This is 5 year old news.
HHH has come out and said this 4-5 years ago

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
No body gives a shit about the brand, people tune in to watch stars like Hogan, Austin, Rock because they are unique personalities. Saying you watch WWE is not cool, but saying you watch WWE because The Rock or Lesnar is on makes you cool. Big difference. When you mention WWE to casuals they’ll say do you still watch that or it’s gone shit, this is why WWE needs to create new stars to get people watching again.

·
Registered
3,707 Posts
The more stars you see going to Hollywood the better it looks for WWE. They already get an insane amount of free publicity with the Rock, Batista and Cena storming it in Hollywood. I don't understand why they can't see that!!!

If I was Vince I'd love the challenge of rebooting and pushing the next big star; keeping things fresh and new. Bit like signing a brand new footballer to replace the old one.

·
The Fastest of the Fastest of Jamaican Sprinters
3,877 Posts
This is like me saying that I don't want a brand new Lamborghini.

I don't have any means by which to get one, but that's not the point...I don't want one!

·
Asuka
96,550 Posts
I think Vince would LOVE Roman to get over on that level. They tried with him from 2012 to 2018. That's 6 years of relentlessly trying, why the fuck would they bother if they don't want him to be a superstar? He was supposed to become a megastar at WM31, going over post streak breaking Brock, who was being booked as unstoppable. That was supposed to be his Cena/Batista WM21 moment.
They do want him to be a big star, they just don't want him to be a REALLY big star. Like somebody who transcends the business, an Austin, a Rock, etc. No way does Vince McMahon want that, he can't deal with the rejection, and that's why Roman Reigns has been stuck with, because Vince is well aware that he's never gonna be accepted at that level. If Vince picked somebody better, then they would just get massively over and, in his mind, leave. There's no danger with Roman doing that, same with Seth. That's also the reason Roman almost NEVER holds the title and basically just wins matches in the midcard, to stall his momentum just enough to where people don't see him like Brock where he's getting all the attention. It's also why Roman Reigns loses more than any other FOTC in history.

Same with Charlotte, the entire "women's revolution" was created for her. She was relentlessly pushed as the face of the division for years, despite being significantly less over than girls in the midcard. Look how over Sasha Banks was at one point, yet she was completely sacrificed. Asuka had a big buzz going on, completely sacrificed. Ronda Rousey was brought in with the idea of losing to Charlotte in the WM main event. Yet you don't think Vince wants her to be a superstar? Of course he does, but just like with Roman the fans flat out REJECTED her so he altered his plans because he didn't want his WM main event ruined, hence why we got the Rollins cash in & the Becky win.
I don't think Vince gives one single, solitary fuck about Charlotte Flair. For starters, he doesn't care about the womens division at ALL, but secondly, I fully, 100% believe that EVERYTHING they do with Charlotte is SOLELY because of Ric. I don't believe Vince likes her, I don't believe Vince sees her as a valuable asset (which is why she's promoted so little on their ads compared to Becky and Asuka, the real stars of the womens division), I believe Vince sees Charlotte as PURELY a.....I don't know what the right word is, a vessel, I guess, for Vince to please Ric Flair. For whatever reason. I don't exactly know why and it's something I've tried to rack my brain to come up with a reason for. I've wondered if Vince is trying to make Charlottes legacy outshine his as revenge for being in the NWA and WCW, his main competitor, but if he did that, he'd just be making Ric happy by propping up his daughter, so that makes no sense. I think it's just that Vince loves Ric and he wants to put Charlotte over 17 times so they can have a coronation at Mania with Ric crying in the ring with her.

You cannot convince me, nobody can, not Charlotte, not Ric, not Triple H, not even Vince himself, I won't even believe it out of Vinces own mouth, that Vince McMahon cares about Ashley, and I'm using her real name to emphasize what I mean, I'm talking about the performer here, not the kayfabe character. You cannot convince me he likes Charlotte. She is so freaking ugly. If there's one thing we know about Vince, it's that everything is the look with him, and Charlotte has the anti WWE look in spades, just about more than anybody I've ever seen. He wouldn't even HIRE Charlotte if she weren't a Flair, I'm convinced, due to his philosophy on wrestling talent. It's all about him.

It's naive to think they don't want megastars, they do, but they want THEIR megastars. When Vince looks at Daniel Bryan he sees a tree hugging geek, when he looks at CM Punk he sees a skinny homeless geek, when he looks at Bray Wyatt he sees a fat geek. It's all about look with Vince, he likes Orton, Del Rio, Reigns, Rollins, Charlotte etc. He'd have made them all superstars if he could.
I don't think he would have. Not a transcendent, mainstream star, because he can't handle it.

·
Registered
3,503 Posts
That is a terrible marketing strategy on their part. They are probably arrogant enough to think nobody will want to leave them.

·
Registered
56 Posts
wwe does'nt care about making a larger than life character like cena or rock oh and by the way the wwe is and always will be complete fucking GARBAGE

61 - 80 of 105 Posts