Wrestling Forum banner

41 - 60 of 105 Posts

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
Doesn't want create a star but shove their favorite into our eyes or make their potential superstar as clown, more like bias BS for me.

·
Ex Con With A Heart Of Gold
10,248 Posts
That's false. The person they wanted to get over in the past 5 years is Brock. Accolade after accolade, 500+ day title reign, main eventing WMs and SummerSlams, etc.

I don't think its worked. The Brock experiment has been a flop.

·
Premium Member
13,144 Posts
Of course they do. Roman Reigns was meant to be that guy until he got cancer. Then he had that taste of Hollywood and that’s probably one of the reasons they’re saying this now.

Or that they realised that they currently don’t have anybody who can lace Hogans, rocks or cenas boots.
are people really lumping in Cena with Rock and Hogan as all time greats now? get your mind right son
Cena is larger than wrestling. Just like how Rock and Hogan are. That would put him on that level. You might be too naive to realise the impact Cena had on 00s kids. I’m like 29 now so no he had no impact on me. However, I can appreciate what he did for WWE during the post-ruthless aggression era.

·
Registered
927 Posts
It’s definitely one of those things that they say publicly as a defence mechanism but internally they feel opposite. This is no different than “every reaction is a good one” and “ratings don’t matter anymore”.

I also have to laugh at this sudden fear of big bad Hollywood stealing their stars. WWE and wrestling in general have been a star driven business. Yet The Rock is the only one whose ever left in the prime of their career. Cena is doing well now but he didn’t start making overtures on his own until WWE started pushing him aside for Roman.

·
Ilya Smirnov ate my puppy.
4,920 Posts
Says the company that just brought back two of the biggest legends to ever transcend the business. Ironically, guys known to the world as wrestlers, not sports entertainers.
Somebody’s talking out their ass.

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
I think the premise is bullshit and they would love another Cena or Rock. In fact, they'd love to have the original Cena or Rock.
they would like to make more money AND have 100% control over all of their employees as if they were disposable cameras

'We listen to our fans and give them what they want' :Vince
TRANSLATED: they listen to peoples wallets and follow the increase in numbers wherever and whatever the circumstances, critique be damned

Reactions: TheDraw

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
double post, my bad

·
Registered
541 Posts
PHP:
So I came across the Observer and they mentioned an interesting point. Basically, the WWE's mission today is brand push not push wrestlers. This explains why there's a bipolar win loss column, and evidence that noone had been massively over in the push category since Cena. This is by design. Not an accident. Look what happened to Bryan. Russive, etc. WWE feels its brand is the marquee and selling point. Their PPVs like Mania and Saudi Arabia are now their selling point not the talent. They don't want the company to rely on any major stars in fear also of losing what they invest in them if they end up leaving to cinema or to say AEW.

This is pretty sad. What are your thoughts?
Yet this desperate ass company brings in celebs and past stars they've created like The Rock every chance they get. The Observer is wrong. Tinfoil hat level stuff here

wrestling boomed with Hogan, Rock and Austin. it never boomed with Cena. as a matter of fact I think Cena chased away alot of people.
Yeah me.

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
I think they are wrong. WWE is right now desperate for stars..why do you think they keep trotting out retired wrestlers, Hell watching Flair go made me realise how much the present stars suck in the promo department.. I think the wwe has long realised the current stars stink and they have to bring back the retired wrestlers to bump ratings.. How they are gonna recover from this fools errand of making Roman the top baby face and wasting so many pushes in the past 5 years that all of them feel irrelevant now is beyond me! TO top it all off, all of these guys on the roster are very one dimensional and not very good to begin with.. Sure their wrestling skills are excellent but everything else about them is boring and you can only entertain people so many times with your matches which are again unimaginative and formulaic ...

·
alexa = greatest of all time!
3,112 Posts
that's dumb. wrestling companies need big stars. "the brand being the draw" is part of what's has halved viewership of smackdown in less than a month.

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
I believe AEW/Meltzer etc. are accentuating certain differences between WWE and AEW that favour AEW, and this is one.

It’s great PR because it takes advantage of the WWE’s enormous corporate size and turns that into a negative.

WWE, right now, are probably more gun shy than ever after investing in Roman and suddenly he needs to quit to treat his cancer.

I mean, they were already paranoid about losing a mega top guy to Hollywood, but something like that probably does encourage their push of the brand (which is something they’ve gradually been doing more and more for a long time).

They will always need legacy stars to play the “part-timer / legend” role at their Super Bowl mega shows, and I’m sure they know Stone Cold is the last Attitude Era star young enough to make a surprise return to pop a rating....

After Stone Cold, Edge (if rumours are true) and maybe an RVD, there’s literally nobody else for the next 10 years who could play that legend role.

CM Punk, I guess.

So I buy the vague idea of their intention to push the brand, but like always, this report sounds made up, and is probably reported as fact to invite fans to love AEW instead.

An underlying issue that hasn’t been addressed by the wrestling media is WWE’s long history of putting so much pressure on their top guy.

Bret Hart handled it well, but was screwed at the end.

Shawn Michaels’ drug addiction and premature ‘retirement’

Stone Cold’s attitude near the end (wouldn’t blindly do what they wanted unless he agreed) and unwillingness to stick around in an on-screen role without the clout to say no

Rock leaving

Cena leaving

CM Punk leaving, suing them, and speaking out against their passive aggressive treatment of top guys

Roman seemingly content to give up the role to Seth as soon as he had an out (his initial cancer speech included “when I return it won’t be about titles and being on top” which Vince later edited out presumably in hopes he would continue being on top if healthy).

His best friend Moxley thinks WWE is “prison”.

Seth has already publicly stated that Vince is a weird old man.

The amount of pressure the FOTC must be under when working with Vince McMahon 24/7 would be unimaginable.

When writing, Russo and Ferrara were practically living with McMahon. The one time when McMahon was supposedly on holiday somewhere, he flew them up to the resort to do creative by the pool all day and night.

I can’t imagine the pressure he puts on a FOTC, and with everyone being paid a generous salary regardless... who would want to?

It’s better to have a Randy Orton-like deal IMO.

Id almost believe that if they didnt try to shove Roman down our throats seemingly every year or never give us more then 2-3 months without Brock as champion. Clearly WWE wants to have "mega stars" they just want them to be who THEY chose, not the fans.
Yep.

Although, I don’t mind that they choose - it’s all a work so might as well, and there’s a lot more to the role behind-the-scenes that crowds wouldn’t know about.

·
Registered
6,680 Posts
Anyone who thinks they don't want another huge drawing card like Rock or Cena on their roster is dumb. Of course they do. Even though they want the brand to be the most important component, they want someone to be the perfect representation of that brand. Even WWE knows that individual stars still matter. A lot.

41 - 60 of 105 Posts