Wrestling Forum banner

21 - 40 of 105 Posts

·
Asuka
96,550 Posts
They tried very very hard with Roman. So if that's true it's a recent idea.
I'd argue the reason they tried so hard with Roman is because they were fully aware that he COULDN'T be the next Cena or Rock, which made him ok to push incessantly.

Of course it's true. We've heard about this backstage for years, and it explains why whenever a guy like Bray Wyatt or Daniel Bryan or CM Punk get huge, they try to cut their nuts off. This happens too often for it to be a coincidence.

It's unbelievable to think about the thought process in this company. They don't want to make stars because they're afraid they'll leave, so instead, you have guys like Moxley who are leaving because they won't make them stars. They're SO fucking STUPID. Great, so they leave, so what? Make new ones when they leave, you old fucking idiot.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Get OUT. None of those people have anywhere even approaching the natural charisma of the Rock. You can't 'create' that. It's there or it isn't.
You may never have another Hogan,Rock,Flair,Andre,Stone Cold. etc but as a company you should put everyone in their best light so if another star exists they break through. Nowadays if someone had what it takes to be the next Rock or Stone Cold they would force them to be the next Rocky Maivia or Ringmaster out of stubbornness.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I think it's Ego driven.

1)Before the Mcmahon's as onscreen talent there was no problem building stars. In the Attitude Era there was no problem building stars. EVERY Time someone got huge a Mcmahon a authority, a HHH came right there, to share the spotlight and in the end of it all, THEY were victorious, not the rising talent.

2) Building up the Attitude Era ( the one where we had DX, MrMcmahon, the Corporation) as the greatest Era ever period.

3) Painting DX as the biggest faction ever, Building HHH as the final Victor for Wwe against a "war" against Sting and WCW.
Going out of retirement to squash the summer of Punk. Getting Shane to be comoetitive against the Best wrestlers in the business. Steph emasculating every one, dancing with Ronda Rousey, the biggest crossover Star they had in a while.

And now, with them not being on screen So much and triple H having his ego being struck with NXT they can Just stop caring about building stars, no one can outgrow them. It's Time to build the brand. Because the brand is people in the Office. HHH. Mcmahon's, So Steph can go around and steal more spotlight, Say stupid shit.

It's a mentality of "wrestling was at it's best when we were around, and that's the way it Will stay."

·
Registered
3,734 Posts
It's a stupid strategy. I went to Mania in 2016 and 2017, I can't picture going again when weekly tv is as bad as it is. I can't bring myself to watch Raw and I fast forward through Smackdown. I can't name one good storyline happening right now.

I've watched since 92 but now theres a viable weekly alternative my interest in WWE is at an all time low.

·
The optimistic Asuka fan
3,259 Posts
So I came across the Observer and they mentioned an interesting point. ...

Their PPVs like Mania and Saudi Arabia are now their selling point not the talent. ...

This is pretty sad. What are your thoughts?
I stopped breaking my head about the crap they are making up at wrestling observer. And we never heard before, that WWE is about the brand itself. Thx you wrestling observer for telling us the obvious. ;)

Btw.: The mentioned Saudi shows have nothing to do with regular wrestling business. It is because one person pays stupid money for this for propaganda reasons. It makes absolutly no sense to discuss overall strategies with the talent because of that silly event.
Wrestlemania is a brand, sure. Super Bowl is as well. Thx u wrestling observer for telling us this exclusive news. We will name our childs after Dave. ;)

·
Asuka
96,550 Posts
I agree & disagree, they don't want the fans to choose their own megastar like Punk or Bryan, but they'd love turn one of their chosen ones into one.

You're not gonna tell me Vince would reject the chance to turn Reigns & Charlotte into huge stars? Would. He. Fuck.
To the point they're mega stars like Austin, Rock, Brock, or even Cena, who have massive amounts of leverage on him? Yes. He would reject it.

Vince doesn't even care about Charlotte, he only cares about Ric.

·
Registered
5,918 Posts
I agree & disagree, they don't want the fans to choose their own megastar like Punk or Bryan, but they'd love turn one of their chosen ones into one.

You're not gonna tell me Vince would reject the chance to turn Reigns & Charlotte into huge stars? Would. He. Fuck.
To the point they're mega stars like Austin, Rock, Brock, or even Cena, who have massive amounts of leverage on him? Yes. He would reject it.

Vince doesn't even care about Charlotte, he only cares about Ric.
I think Vince would LOVE Roman to get over on that level. They tried with him from 2012 to 2018. That's 6 years of relentlessly trying, why the fuck would they bother if they don't want him to be a superstar? He was supposed to become a megastar at WM31, going over post streak breaking Brock, who was being booked as unstoppable. That was supposed to be his Cena/Batista WM21 moment.

Same with Charlotte, the entire "women's revolution" was created for her. She was relentlessly pushed as the face of the division for years, despite being significantly less over than girls in the midcard. Look how over Sasha Banks was at one point, yet she was completely sacrificed. Asuka had a big buzz going on, completely sacrificed. Ronda Rousey was brought in with the idea of losing to Charlotte in the WM main event. Yet you don't think Vince wants her to be a superstar? Of course he does, but just like with Roman the fans flat out REJECTED her so he altered his plans because he didn't want his WM main event ruined, hence why we got the Rollins cash in & the Becky win.

It's naive to think they don't want megastars, they do, but they want THEIR megastars. When Vince looks at Daniel Bryan he sees a tree hugging geek, when he looks at CM Punk he sees a skinny homeless geek, when he looks at Bray Wyatt he sees a fat geek. It's all about look with Vince, he likes Orton, Del Rio, Reigns, Rollins, Charlotte etc. He'd have made them all superstars if he could.

·
Nah, I’m your king now.
4,135 Posts
I've known this for years.

Vince has abandonment issues.

Austin, Rock, and Brock all left him when he gave them a platform to become stars. Now he's afraid that it'll happen again if he let's someone get too big. Might explain why he cuts the legs out of some potentially big stars.

·
Wheel Man for SCOTT STEINER
5,600 Posts
When you look at the WWE as a business, you have to look for what they draw their inspiration from. Creatively & in business terms of the show, they take it all from Saturday Night Live.

So every now & then, they can get their Alec Baldwin (John Cena) or other large star in for something. They'll get their celeb (Tyson Fury for recent sake). The other guys are held to a tighter script. There's less of what made the show must-watch in the past because in the past, the show drew based on who was on it. But in terms to have 'longevity' (which to anyone paying attention, it would be a double-edged sword), they've had to try create the allure around the show rather than the performers outside of a big ratings' popping show.

When you see Cena, Rock, Austin you see them. When you see Rollins, Reigns, Lynch, you see the writers. Same with Saturday Night Live. If the company wrote & protected their top current stars like they were Triple H, the writing & promos would be even worse but you'd start to see wrestlers matter because of how much they protected Paul.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Intead of that they should focus on building stars and retain them.

I mean the brand value of having someone like The Rock on their roster will only make viewers tune in more often. People will be more invested in their stories.

WWE need to figure how you could retain someone extremely valuable so they dont move on.

·
Premium Member
13,147 Posts
Of course they do. Roman Reigns was meant to be that guy until he got cancer. Then he had that taste of Hollywood and that’s probably one of the reasons they’re saying this now.

Or that they realised that they currently don’t have anybody who can lace Hogans, rocks or cenas boots.

·
Registered
609 Posts
That is the most backasswards reasoning and makes zero sense. People tune in for the wrestlers. Therefor creating big stars is by default pushing your brand. Just imagine If the ufc did this to Conor in 2014. Hey pal we cant have you outshine us. Forget José aldo and No more mic time for you. If you dont listen we Will have Aleister overeem bang your fioncee on national television. All clear?

·
Registered
2,701 Posts
Of course they do. Roman Reigns was meant to be that guy until he got cancer. Then he had that taste of Hollywood and that’s probably one of the reasons they’re saying this now.

Or that they realised that they currently don’t have anybody who can lace Hogans, rocks or cenas boots.
are people really lumping in Cena with Rock and Hogan as all time greats now? get your mind right son

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Not sure I believe this report unless it’s a new development. That motherfuxker Vince sure did everything he possibly could to shove Reigns down his fans’ throats. He desperately wanted a new Cena face of the company type.

·
Fearless University Graduate
15,428 Posts
It does explain why they're pretending Rollins is FOTC material. No matter what you do with Seth Rollins he'll never in a million years be a Star or a draw. So he's guaranteed to never be bigger than the "brand" no matter how hard you push him.

21 - 40 of 105 Posts