Wrestling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
634 Posts
Yep, the sort of completely logical main event that'll grow a company and bring in new viewers! Those two young whippersnappers definitely have big careers ahead of them.

Fantastic stuff.
So to enjoy a match I have to think like a fantasy Booker on an internet forum. I can't just enjoy the match for what it is. Gee thanks.

This match was a spam of slaps. Overall they over do the slaps, forearms and thigh kicks way too much. Too often in this company, they no sell moves. I also dislike how they have people waiting outside the ring to obviously catch someone.
It was a New Japan strong style match. Stiff Slaps and no sells are apart of that style. I personally love it has I've been watching New Japan and All Japan since the 90's. It's not for everyone though.

·
Registered
3,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Opinions vary.
They do, some however carry a lot more logic and weight than others. Anyone who thinks it makes sense for a defunct companies title to main event an AEW show, whilst being contested by two near on OAP's - one of who isn't even an AEW talent and won't be known by any of the casual audience - doesn't fall on the right side of that.

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
TK wants something more than ratings chasing. Sure, he will still do that once in a while. He wants the wrestling industry to be larger.

ROH was the best American promotion of the 21st century. I’m not talking popularity, obviously. Really shitty things get really popular and then burn out quickly. Quality can last nearly twenty years. The final years were lean, don’t get me wrong. They did have syndication throughout Canada and the USA.

I can see why fans of AEW might feel a bit encumbered with ROH being temporarily amalgamated into the fabric of AEW. I don’t agree with that mindset at all but I can see others only want AEW.

So many of the people who are loudest with their disdain for ROH are also the same who rarely have anything positive about AEW to begin with.

There should at least be some here who welcome ROH because a third of the roster will split from AEW. The roster is bloated for one large promotion with only three hours of cable TV. Why not enjoy what’s good and wait for ROH to get some distributors? At least ponder who might go where when ROH does split off. Odds are we will have favourites on both companies’ programming.

·
Registered
3,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
TK wants something more than ratings chasing. Sure, he will still do that once in a while. He wants the wrestling industry to be larger.

ROH was the best American promotion of the 21st century. I’m not talking popularity, obviously. Really shitty things get really popular and then burn out quickly. Quality can last nearly twenty years. The final years were lean, don’t get me wrong. They did have syndication throughout Canada and the USA.

I can see why fans of AEW might feel a bit encumbered with ROH being temporarily amalgamated into the fabric of AEW. I don’t agree with that mindset at all but I can see others only want AEW.

So many of the people who are loudest with their disdain for ROH are also the same who rarely have anything positive about AEW to begin with.

There should at least be some here who welcome ROH because a third of the roster will split from AEW. The roster is bloated for one large promotion with only three hours of cable TV.
I used to have a lot of positive things to say about AEW. I was a big fan of the product until earlier this year and often defended it against criticism on here and elsewhere. Now, the product is absolute dog shit and warrants being regularly bashed for it's consistently terrible quality and illogical, ridiculous booking. ROH is just one of many reasons why AEW is in a complete and utter shit state.

It's breaks my heart in a way, because AEW for a good two and a half years or so felt like the saviour of professional wrestling to me and reignited my previously dying love of it. Now, I'm fast heading back to how I felt around 2018 whereby my passion for the sport as a whole is rapidly disintegrating again.

It's just an illogical, unexciting, directionless, boring clusterfuck and considering how good I thought it once was - not even that long ago - that is highly depressing. To me AEW's gone from WCW 96-98 to WCW 2000 (but worse and far more boring) in the space of about six months.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts