1,381 Posts
Jay white hands down

But I would take Murphy over anyone else in that graphic

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Baby Yoda
29,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I have to admit I don't really "get" Jay White. Sure, he's got a good look and plays the heel well, but most of the matches I've seen him have are among the weaker of the big NJPW cards I've seen. I'll admit to not being a huge New Japan buff, got into it when Jericho joined. What's the big 5.5 star classic you're referencing?
Jay White vs Ibushi in the G1 Final.

It's considered one of the great G1 Final matches.

·
Future Hall of Famer
2,326 Posts
The aussies never had a real world champion besides Nathan Jones' one week title reign in a promotion nobody remembers and which got eaten by TNA after a year lol

Pat O'Connor and Jay White > than any aussie wrestler ever (sorry Kangaroos)

·
Baby Yoda
29,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
The only decent ones in the Aussie list are Murphy and Rhea. Jay White is super bland and average across the board, though, so Aus wins.
5-6.

There's more Aussies on this site and the Aussie WWE wrestlers have a bigger platform yet it's essentially split in the middle with Jay vs Australia's golden generation

·
None. More. Hated.
5,746 Posts
Jay is alright, he got very lucky that AEW took Kenny and they desperately needed a new gaijin. I love Henare, Fale isn't terrible and Dakota has been one of my favourites for a while. But who else do you have? I'll even let you have Toni Storm and Travis Banks of course. And then what?

Adam Brooks is tearing up the US indie scene, Tenille Dashwood is in Impact, Tony Cage was wrestling for Impact and now he's with NXTUK, Mr. Juicy is doing commentary for NJPW, Aussie Open are one of the best up and coming tag teams in the world, Australian Suicide debuted on the last episode of Lucha Underground and is a good name in Mexico, Mikey Nicholls and Robbie Eagles in NJPW, Rufio was working in Fale's Dojo, EC Diamond with OVW and Charli Evans in Shimmer.

Apart from the massive list of Aussies you just posted that are signed to the biggest company in the world, we still have a thriving independent scene at home (Corona notwithstanding). Damian Slater, Jake Nova, JXT, Kellyanne English, Avary, Kingsley, Xena, Madison Eagles, Matty Wahlberg, Ricky South, Rip Reilly, Shazza McKenzie, Tarlee, Stevie and Tome Filip. Then we have Steph DeLander who is going to get signed by one of the big companies eventually. Same guys for Caveman Ugg eventually.

You guys have what.. Slade Mercer and?

White was in the semi main of Wrestle Kingdom in his first match back and beat Omega clean as a sheet the month after that. They were always gonna be behind him big. Did Omega leaving speed up the process? Probably. But Gedo doesnt caught with his pants down usually which is why he had Jay beat Kenny clean so quickly so in case Kenny did leave, he had a made top gaijin who can kayfabe claim an undefeated record over Kenny and say he ran him off.

·
Banned
2,795 Posts
White was in the semi main of Wrestle Kingdom in his first match back and beat Omega clean as a sheet the month after that. They were always gonna be behind him big. Did Omega leaving speed up the process? Probably. But Gedo doesnt caught with his pants down usually which is why he had Jay beat Kenny clean so quickly so in case Kenny did leave, he had a made top gaijin who can kayfabe claim an undefeated record over Kenny and say he ran him off.
Yeah he got the win but he's still just kind of above average at everything. Who else was Gedo going to push as his top gaijin? Don't get me wrong, I like him and appreciate his existence in NJPW, but the quality in matches and story lines dropped significantly when he was pushed to the moon.

This entire thread is a love letter to Jay White and fair enough, but there's no way anyone can actually dispute that Australia has the overall better talent when NZ has one talent that's worthwhile.

·
Baby Yoda
29,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #28 (Edited)
Yeah he got the win but he's still just kind of above average at everything. Who else was Gedo going to push as his top gaijin? Don't get me wrong, I like him and appreciate his existence in NJPW, but the quality in matches and story lines dropped significantly when he was pushed to the moon.

This entire thread is a love letter to Jay White and fair enough, but there's no way anyone can actually dispute that Australia has the overall better talent when NZ has one talent that's worthwhile.
Juice? Ospreay?

Fact of the matter is Jay is better than your golden generation and there's a strong possibility he will leave behind a legacy greater than anyone from Australia's golden generation. Hell depending on how he develops, his legacy might be greater than your entire golden generation. He's almost certain to win a G1 in future which only one gaijin has done before and is legit one of the big accomplishments in pro wrestling.

Whether you choose to accept that or not, I don''t care but I'm sure as hell going to revel in the fact that one Kiwi is greater than your entire golden generation.

·
WWE plant
3,835 Posts
Well what the f do you think

One side has Murphy, Ripley and The Iconics

The other some goofy bingo hall champion

·
Baby Yoda
29,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Well what the f do you think

One side has Murphy, Ripley and The Iconics

The other some goofy bingo hall champion
The bingo hall champion who main evented a sold out MSG?

Irony is you've mentioned 3 jobbers, one of which is basically a NJPW tribute act who would be stuck in the jr heavyweight division in NJPW.

·
Angry at refs
3,002 Posts
5-6.
There's more Aussies on this site and the Aussie WWE wrestlers have a bigger platform yet it's essentially split in the middle with Jay vs Australia's golden generation
Well it's more so that the rest in the list above I either don't know or they're also shit (IIconics). Jay isn't great by any means but at least he is used better by booking.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
First, it makes me sad when people list all the talent Australia has and it's just guys from EPW, MCW or PWA. There is so much great talent out there not working within those companies who never get mentioned. Even the WWE seems to think that's all that is out there because all the people on that graphic wrestled regularly from one of those three feds (Except Daniel Vidot).

I think due to quantity the Australian's win but of course I am biased. Currently plying their craft overseas are as follows:

Adam Brooks (Just signed with ROH)

Australian Suicide (AAA)

Billie Kay (WWE)

Brendan Vink (NXT)

Bronson Reed (NXT)

Daniel Vidot (NXT)

Indi Hartwell (NXT)

Mikey Nicholls (NJPW)

Murphy (WWE)

Peyton Royce (WWE)

Rhea Ripley (NXT)

Robbie Eagles (NJPW)

Shane Thorne (NXT)

Slex (Just signed with ROH)

Tenille Dashwood (Former WWE now TNA/Impact)

Toni Storm (NXT-UK)

That's 16 Australians making their living from wrestling and working for major promotions. You then can consider the guys who are here in Australia working the indies/are retired who have worked for major companies

AJ Istria (NOAH), Damian Slater (WWE), Hartley Jackson (Trainer at NXT/Currently in Japan), Jason Helton (WWF/ECW although only one offs), Mark Mercedes (WCW/WWA again one offs only), Madison Eagles (Former Number 1 in the world), Nathan Jones (WWA/WWE), Rionne Fujiwara (AJPW/NOAH), Sam Osborne (Impact), Shazza McKenzie (AEW/NXT) and I feel I'm missing a couple other NOAH guys as well.

New Zealand definitely has plenty of quality though. Jay White is good, I saw Bad Luck Fale live last year and he was the best thing on the show by far (Was a PWA show coincidentally enough), Henare they do have plus Evie. The federation I go to most has a fella by the name of Kingston Eclipse as their champion who is a New Zealander who wrestled for Pro Wrestling NOAH as well not to mention Slade Mercer who has wrestled in AJPW on 2 tours. Throw in The Bushwhackers, Rip Morgan and of course the legendary Pat O'Connor (Former AWA and NWA World Heavyweight Champion) and New Zealand definitely has a great scene also.

I much prefer to join with our New Zealand friends though and point out just how many great talents have come out of these two beautiful countries. What a show it would be if we could get all the current Australian and New Zealand wrestlers listed above to compete on a show together. Awesome.

·
Baby Yoda
29,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #38 (Edited)

This match is far better than anything any Aussie has ever given to pro wrestling or ever will.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts