• Australia

Votes: 9 60.0%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Baby Yoda
29,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Two countries not known for being big contributors to pro wrestling and are currently in a golden age.

Australia

vs

Mr. 5.5*, one of fastest rising stars in the business, main evented a sold out MSG, a future G1 Winner and the only World Champion from either country

I'm taking Jay over the field, hard luck Aussies. I wouldn't trade him for the field, you're probably already trying to claim him. I know I can include Fale, Henare and Dakota, however Jay is enough to down the Aussies golden gen.

·
Baby Yoda
29,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Aussies easily.
Rhea is the only one who might achieve anything, even still that's not going to top IWGP World Heavyweight Champion, main eventing a sold out MSG or winning a G1 (future). Buddy is midcarder fodder whose eating pins for Seth when in the prime of his career, this is probably his peak and ceiling on the main roster.

The rest are a bunch of geeks, jobbers and fodder no one will remember in 2 years. Sounds harsh, but a lot of them probably wont even be employed by the WWE in a few years. That's just how the WWE works, once they've used what they can of them, they'll be future endeavored and they'll either be working low card AEW, mid card TNA, the indys or will be out of the business.

·
Registered
2,825 Posts
Jay is alright, he got very lucky that AEW took Kenny and they desperately needed a new gaijin. I love Henare, Fale isn't terrible and Dakota has been one of my favourites for a while. But who else do you have? I'll even let you have Toni Storm and Travis Banks of course. And then what?

Adam Brooks is tearing up the US indie scene, Tenille Dashwood is in Impact, Tony Cage was wrestling for Impact and now he's with NXTUK, Mr. Juicy is doing commentary for NJPW, Aussie Open are one of the best up and coming tag teams in the world, Australian Suicide debuted on the last episode of Lucha Underground and is a good name in Mexico, Mikey Nicholls and Robbie Eagles in NJPW, Rufio was working in Fale's Dojo, EC Diamond with OVW and Charli Evans in Shimmer.

Apart from the massive list of Aussies you just posted that are signed to the biggest company in the world, we still have a thriving independent scene at home (Corona notwithstanding). Damian Slater, Jake Nova, JXT, Kellyanne English, Avary, Kingsley, Xena, Madison Eagles, Matty Wahlberg, Ricky South, Rip Reilly, Shazza McKenzie, Tarlee, Stevie and Tome Filip. Then we have Steph DeLander who is going to get signed by one of the big companies eventually. Same guys for Caveman Ugg eventually.

You guys have what.. Slade Mercer and?

·
Baby Yoda
29,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Jay is alright, he got very lucky that AEW took Kenny and they desperately needed a new gaijin. I love Henare, Fale isn't terrible and Dakota has been one of my favourites for a while. But who else do you have? I'll even let you have Toni Storm and Travis Banks of course. And then what?

Adam Brooks is tearing up the US indie scene, Tenille Dashwood is in Impact, Tony Cage was wrestling for Impact and now he's with NXTUK, Mr. Juicy is doing commentary for NJPW, Aussie Open are one of the best up and coming tag teams in the world, Australian Suicide debuted on the last episode of Lucha Underground and is a good name in Mexico, Mikey Nicholls and Robbie Eagles in NJPW, Rufio was working in Fale's Dojo, EC Diamond with OVW and Charli Evans in Shimmer.

Apart from the massive list of Aussies you just posted that are signed to the biggest company in the world, we still have a thriving independent scene at home (Corona notwithstanding). Damian Slater, Jake Nova, JXT, Kellyanne English, Avary, Kingsley, Xena, Madison Eagles, Matty Wahlberg, Ricky South, Rip Reilly, Shazza McKenzie, Tarlee, Stevie and Tome Filip. Then we have Steph DeLander who is going to get signed by one of the big companies eventually. Same guys for Caveman Ugg eventually.

You guys have what.. Slade Mercer and?
Please, don't act like you wouldn't trade everyone you have for Jay. Admittedly you have the numbers, but the vast majority are going to be nobodies in history whereas Jay is set to achieve more accolades, add more classics to his match catalog and leave his mark in the business as one of the great gaijin wrestlers.

Jay is the first major world champion from this continent. Need to remember this is the prestigious IWGP championship, too. Not some developmental faux world title or a WWE championship where guys like Jinder or Kofi Kingston can win it. No one from Aus is going to hold a WWE World title except Rhea and that's not on the same level as a mens world championship which is more respected, prestigious and has a far richer history.

·
Registered
2,825 Posts
Please, don't act like you wouldn't trade everyone you have for Jay. Admittedly you have the numbers, but the vast majority are going to be nobodies in history whereas Jay is set to achieve more great things in Japan and leave his mark in the business.

He's the first major world champion from this continent. Need to remember this is the prestigious IWGP championship, too. Not some developmental faux world title or a WWE championship where guys like Jinder or Kofi Kingston can win it.
Yeah I've been watching him for a long time and I'm not sure I understand his success. I mean he's very good but there's no way you can claim he's on the same level as any NJPW champ before him.

·
Baby Yoda
29,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Yeah I've been watching him for a long time and I'm not sure I understand his success. I mean he's very good but there's no way you can claim he's on the same level as any NJPW champ before him.
He's not.

Jay is 27, a student of the game who is still learning and possesses a great work ethic. He has so much room for growth and is already one of the big 4/5 in NJPW. There's so much more he can do currently but he's playing to his role, ocusing on psychology and getting heat.

When it all clicks, my gawd is it going to be glorious.

·
Registered
2,825 Posts
He's not.

Jay is 27, still learning and has a great work ethic. He has so much room for growth and is already one of the big 4/5 in NJPW. There's so much more he can do currently but he's playing to his role and focusing on psychology and getting heat.

When it all clicks, my gawd is it going to be glorious.
Or Gedo is going to realise Jay White isn't Kenny Omega and he can join Mikey Nicholls and Robbie Eagles on the pre show where he actually belongs. Buddy Murphy is a far better talent, with a far better look. Big fish, small pond. You know the saying

·
Registered
5,522 Posts
I actually think the Aussie names that'll have the most success weren't shown in that graphic. Jay White undoubtedly has the bigger list of accomplishments, but skill-wise and match quality wise, he can't touch Robbie Eagles, who was set to feud with Hiromu before COVID happened.

Elsewhere, Slex and Adam Brooks are both tremendous talents recently signed to ROH that have a ton of upside. I saw them face each other at MCW New Horizons 2018, the night before Super Showdown in Melbourne, and that match was better than anything WWE did that weekend, including Murphy's excellent Cruiserweight title match. Obviously ROH isn't what it was, but Slex and Brooks are bound to catch the attention of AEW or WWE sooner rather than later.

·
Baby Yoda
29,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Or Gedo is going to realise Jay White isn't Kenny Omega and he can join Mikey Nicholls and Robbie Eagles on the pre show where he actually belongs. Buddy Murphy is a far better talent, with a far better look. Big fish, small pond. You know the saying
Jay is 6 ft +, yolk shredded and has cute Japanese girls weak. Despite being 4 years younger and in the business less time, Jay already had an all time classic on a grand stage which is levels above anything Murphy has produced.

Buddy looks like pre show fodder and rips off NJPW wrestlers moves. In fact he's booked like pre show fodder whose sole job is to job for Seth. Once he's done that, the odds are he wont even make TV. Literally only gets TV time at the moment to protect Seth from eating pins.

I actually think the Aussie names that'll have the most success weren't shown in that graphic. Jay White undoubtedly has the bigger list of accomplishments, but skill-wise and match quality wise, he can't touch Robbie Eagles, who was set to feud with Hiromu before COVID happened.

Elsewhere, Slex and Adam Brooks are both tremendous talents recently signed to ROH that have a ton of upside. I saw them face each other at MCW New Horizons 2018, the night before Super Showdown in Melbourne, and that match was better than anything WWE did that weekend, including Murphy's excellent Cruiserweight title match. Obviously ROH isn't what it was, but Slex and Brooks are bound to catch the attention of AEW or WWE sooner rather than later.
No offense, but doing it in the indys or the undercard is not the same as doing it on the top of the card of a major promotion. It's nice to have a great match in an indy or undercard of a PPV, but it's not the same as having a great match in the main/semi for a big promotion. More eyes and a bigger deal.

·
Standing with The Man
6,041 Posts
He was a decent winger for the Raiders from what I remember.
Yeah only really performed for Raider's in his first 2 seasons although I remember Ben Rogers kicking his arse, never really made an impact after that was average at St George and Brisbane and totally none existent when he came to England for Salford. I guess he had his eye on Wrestling instead by then.

·
Baby Yoda
29,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Man I miss seeing Jay :(

This could have been his year in G1, to avenge last year's defeat. Maybe it is for the best. Wrestling without fans would be tougher in Japan than it is in the States. The crowds there are pivotal to matches, they elevate matches by adding tension and emotion. Japanese go along with the ride and make it each match between the top stars and favorites feel important.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Australia has a pretty decent field but Jay is the only Main Eventer and World Champ out of everyone, therefore NZ take the win.

·
Registered
5,522 Posts
Jay is 6 ft +, yolk shredded and has cute Japanese girls weak. Despite being 4 years younger and in the business less time, Jay already had an all time classic on a grand stage which is levels above anything Murphy has produced.

Buddy looks like pre show fodder and rips off NJPW wrestlers moves. In fact he's booked like pre show fodder whose sole job is to job for Seth. Once he's done that, the odds are he wont even make TV. Literally only gets TV time at the moment to protect Seth from eating pins.

No offense, but doing it in the indys or the undercard is not the same as doing it on the top of the card of a major promotion. It's nice to have a great match in an indy or undercard of a PPV, but it's not the same as having a great match in the main/semi for a big promotion. More eyes and a bigger deal.
I have to admit I don't really "get" Jay White. Sure, he's got a good look and plays the heel well, but most of the matches I've seen him have are among the weaker of the big NJPW cards I've seen. I'll admit to not being a huge New Japan buff, got into it when Jericho joined. What's the big 5.5 star classic you're referencing?

·
Registered
76 Posts
It seems like this should really be in one of those 'megathreads' or a Jay White appreciation thread rather than a legit comparison of two countries.

I don't watch NJPW, so I had literally never heard of Jay White a couple of hours ago. I guess those who don't watch WWE won't be as familiar with the Aussies talent pool, but I'd far rather have 10 in the worlds biggest wrestling company than one in a more niche company, even if he/she is a top dog, and most of the Aussie's won't end up really doing much. Even just things like social media followers - now obviously that's not the be all and end all, plus NZs population isn't huge, and things like activity (and company pushing activity) will clearly have an impact, but having checked, Jay has 64k followers on Twitter and 94k on Insta, whereas someone like a Peyton Royce has 500k and 1.5m respectively. Granted a lot of those may be thirsty males, but Murphy has almost 200k and 365k, so they're generally a lot more well known.

As a Brit who predominantly watches the top 2 US companies, I'd personally rather the likes of Ospreay, Scurll, and Aldis left their respective companies even if it was just to join the middest of mid cards in either WWE or even AEW.

It's quite impressive the amount of Aussies currently in the WWE, especially compared to another overseas English speaking country like the UK, who's population is more than twice as much, is closer geographically, and has a performance centre / specific brand of it's own. There was talk of an upcoming push for Vink, but like others, I think it'll just be Ripley who ends up in the upper echelons.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts