Wrestling Forum banner

101 - 120 of 348 Posts

·
Registered
11,395 Posts
I actually liked the women's tag to open the first show. Killer Kelly was misused in the role though as she should be treated better and higher on the roster than that. Millie is going to be a star. Nigel was great in his CC role telling the anecdotal stories of each of the four women in the match - I know more about them all now, helps build their characters up. I think Xia might be a better heel for some reason. Have her and Millie keep teaming and then have her resent that the fans chose Millie over her when she was supposed to be the young future prospect that everybody was supposed to like.

I hate Eddie Dennis. And I wanted to like him from his pre-debut vignettes. But they blew it with his character. Also he might be tall, but he's string bean lanky and shouldn't get the "bigman" spots. No way would I trust him with that buckle bomb spot - he looks like he struggles just walking to the corner. He even struggled to lift his opponent into his finisher. Smith is bland as shit, and the crowd "whooping" all match makes me want him to go away as well. Match was dreadful.

Connors vs Huxley was a bad match - no denying that. How many clubbing/punching spots was there? I blame Huxley mostly for that though, he's just not that good. I think there is something in Connors though - but he just hasn't found his character hook yet. Sort of reminds me of Paul Burchill for some odd reason - the Cruel Intentions Burchill and Katie Lee. Now can't go that route in the PC world, but I think Connors could do well to be the brawling rich kid tough guy brother to Jinny. Since I'm suggesting gimmicks - something Nigel said at the very beginning really piqued my interest - he claimed Huxley said he was on a "Hero's Quest" and out for redemption - now this is grand language for a tag loss - but what if his character is delusional like Don Quixote and every match is some epic quest in his mind? You could even pair him up with his Sancho Panza. I think that would be much more interesting than his wildman/cosplay Bruiser Brody gimmick or whatever the hell he's offering now.

Announcers in front of green screen as got to go.

Irish Ace Jordan Devlin looks like a 5'8" midget - but maybe that's just because he looks like the son Zach Roloff from Little People, Big World in his face to me. But that was a damn good match. He's grown a lot as a worker since the initial UK Tourney and is a legit upper card guy I could see carrying the title even. I'd like to see a Burch vs Devlin feud sometime even. I didn't like the finish though - how is breaking fingers a legal finisher? Unless that was the idea - to give Devlin reason to protest. Otherwise match should have ended with the triangle sub that Devlin reached the ropes on.

Man, how has Tyler Bate fallen. That match was nothing special either - makes me wonder how much of early Bate hype was because he was in ring with Dunne. I never realized how short Coffey Brothers were either, I guess because they were so thick I just assumed the were big brute types. Of the six that were fighting to end the segment only one has "it" (Pete Dunne), the others are background characters. Wolfgang is hurt with his grouping with Coffey's - an inexplicable trio like main NXT's Fortunate Sons. Coffey's were fine as a tag team, though I guess the idea is Joe Coffey gets the singles push and Mark isn't good enough for a solo run on his own so needed a partner for him or something.

I remember thinking Dan Maloney had potential when I first saw him in the inaugural UK Tournament. Not so much any more. Whereas Devlin has really grown leaps and bounds, this kid stagnated or even regressed since he doesn't have his age/inexperience to use as qualifications anymore to sell his potential. Is Ligero an El Generico rip-off, or was it a vice versa? With Zayn dropping the gimmick, they should completely run with it HOWEVER tweak it so Ligero is a Puroresu fan whereas El Generico was Lucha. Maybe that is it - I still can't figure it out. Ligero really doesn't have lucha flair or stylings to pull off the wannabe lucha gimmick. Is Ligero at all a big deal on the Brit indies or is the wwe trying to wholly manufacture that lore?

Amir Jordan is trying a gimmick I guess - but man is it cringe as all hell. Drake is much more comfortable in a tag role. I could see the Grizzled Young Vets in US NXT. Speaking of that - How will NXT UK call-ups work - do they go to the main NXT roster (US) first or would they go to Raw or SDL sorta deal?

Rhea Ripley just needs to go by "Ripley" it's a good enough name as a homage to the Sigorney Weaver Aliens heroine. NXT UK Women's Division is so much better than Main NXT's women right now. It was a damn good match, ending might have been a bit flat, but I think the crowd might have been burnt out.

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Re: NXT UK Weekly Show Discussion Thread [NO SPOILERS BEFORE THE SHOWS AIR PLEASE]

I been liking NXT:UK but they need start building the feuds and stories

also they need pick up some bigger wrestlers for it like Big T Justice

·
Banned
16,745 Posts
Re: NXT UK Weekly Show Discussion Thread [NO SPOILERS BEFORE THE SHOWS AIR PLEASE]

Ok i've never seen Eddie Dennis before being on NXT, now that i have i don't get why he got weeks of vignettes wasted on him. They tried to make him come off like the next big star or something and when he came out i had to laugh. Dude is so damn lanky and skinny, and his attire looks so god damn indie bush league, i mean a singlet and shorts? really? looks like something a backyard wrestler would wear, he just looks goofy.

And he's way too over the top bad guy acting, he may as well come out with a sign that says "I'am a bad guy ahhh!".

·
Registered
11,395 Posts

Ok i've never seen Eddie Dennis before being on NXT, now that i have i don't get why he got weeks of vignettes wasted on him. They tried to make him come off like the next big star or something and when he came out i had to laugh. Dude is so damn lanky and skinny, and his attire looks so god damn indie bush league, i mean a singlet and shorts? really? looks like something a backyard wrestler would wear, he just looks goofy.

And he's way too over the top bad guy acting, he may as well come out with a sign that says "I'am a bad guy ahhh!".
Absolutely agree. I think he should have played the "Dean Douglas" gimmick and graded his opponents and the like, maybe a bit more deranged given his tattoos and not looking the part completely. Also have him dress like Right to Censor with the pants and dress shirt and tie to the ring or something.

I mean if they were going to sign him at all...

·
Banned
16,745 Posts

Absolutely agree. I think he should have played the "Dean Douglas" gimmick and graded his opponents and the like, maybe a bit more deranged given his tattoos and not looking the part completely. Also have him dress like Right to Censor with the pants and dress shirt and tie to the ring or something.

I mean if they were going to sign him at all...
Yeah that would look better than what he actually wears, the singlet and baggy shorts just looks bad especially cause he's so damn tall and lanky with hardly no muscle at all..

·
Registered
23,368 Posts

Brief thoughts from the last 2 episodes:

Dunne vs. Devil was a great match. Real star making performance for Devlin. Bate vs. Coffey from the next show was solid as well.

I continue not to get the fascination with Joseph Conners. I know he was pushed in What Culture Wrestling and they hyped him pretty big in the 1st UK Tournament. But the guy just does nothing for me.

Eddie Dennis really isn't working. As someone who's watched him in PROGRESS, if he can't swear or do some hardcore shit, he's just not nearly the same. And I can never sit through another Ashton Smith match with the crowd doing "woop!" the whole damn time.

Rhea and Toni had a solid match but they can do better. I don't know if Toni is just really good at selling or if was somewhat legit hurt with the way she squirming at ringside. But whatever the case it lead to a good finish.

·
Registered
181 Posts

Brief thoughts from the last 2 episodes:

Dunne vs. Devil was a great match. Real star making performance for Devlin. Bate vs. Coffey from the next show was solid as well.

I continue not to get the fascination with Joseph Conners. I know he was pushed in What Culture Wrestling and they hyped him pretty big in the 1st UK Tournament. But the guy just does nothing for me.

Eddie Dennis really isn't working. As someone who's watched him in PROGRESS, if he can't swear or do some hardcore shit, he's just not nearly the same. And I can never sit through another Ashton Smith match with the crowd doing "woop!" the whole damn time.

Rhea and Toni had a solid match but they can do better. I don't know if Toni is just really good at selling or if was somewhat legit hurt with the way she squirming at ringside. But whatever the case it lead to a good finish.
She injured in that match

·
SLAVE.
3,384 Posts

I finally had a chance to sit down and watch the first of last week’s NXT UK episodes.

— That opening tag match was a nothing match but McKenzie is great.

— Eddie Dennis isn’t half as good in the ring as he is on the mic, but he is clearly getting better.

— Those hype packages for Storm and Ripley ready for their NXT UK Women’s Title match next episode were solid.

— A great match between Devlin and Dunne and the red-hot crowd really enhanced this one however while I know I am probably in the minority on this, I would have enjoyed this more had I had any sense that Dunne could actually lose here. Since the conclusion is foregone it is hard to emotionally invest or even particularly care about these matches for me.

·
Registered
4,631 Posts

Episode 13
A mixture of an episode this one...

Things kicked off with a basic promo from Joe Coffey, he told the audience that he, his brother and Wolfgang will now be known as Gallus, means bold in Scottish term but it sounds like a Greek empire to me :lol things got worse when Travis Banks made his return, Gallus beat him down, Moustache Mountain came to the rescue :sleep

We then got a match, Fabian Aichner vs Mark Andrews. This was quite entertaining, really fun stuff from both guys. Even though Aichner is Italian I'll take him on this brand all day long, he's far more entertaining than 90% of this roster. Aichner is an absolute beast, plenty of impressive moves that made the crowd gasp in awe. Andrews was his usual underdog playing self, he hit two fantastic counters in this match that left me applauding, quality stuff. Aichner turned extra aggressive towards the end as he looked to put Andrews away, nice booking making Aichner look like a real threat, more Aichner the better.

Sid Scala was announced as Johnny Saint's assistant.

Isla Dawn getting pushed over Nina Samuels disgusts me. Nina controlled the match, Isla then hit like four moves and that was it, her finisher especially is shit.

Eddie Dennis squashed Tucker :sleep

Things ended on a high note though with another quality performance from Jordan Devlin. His match against Flash Morgan Webster was very slow and methodical, wouldn't be surprised if some class it as boring but Devlin's work deserves more appreciation. Devlin plays the perfect arrogant bellend, he is like the Irish version of Zack Gibson. His work on Flash during this match was very old school and very methodical but he showed top notch psychology, he targeted Flash's back throughout the match with various moves, his character work during this was fantastic as well. Flash sold excellently throughout the entire match, he produced a valiant comeback effort down the stretch but to no avail.

Overall thoughts - Aichner vs Andrews was the best match on this episode, Devlin vs Webster not as good but still decent, the rest was poor.

Episode 14 looks like shit so I'm gonna give that a miss, not worth watching an episode where the main event is Wolfgang vs Travis Banks.

·
SLAVE.
3,384 Posts

Only just got around to wrapping up the second of last week's NXT UK episodes. As you can probably tell I am just not really into this show as it is right now and I am struggling to keep myself motivated to push through. I know how talented the roster is though, so I want to stick with it for that reason, I know this show can be great... it just isn't right now.

I'd like to see Joe and Bate have an all out match with no shenans one day, the little taste we got here suggests to me the match could be awesome.

So we've got the Grizzled Young Vets on NXT UK now. That is nice. The Vets are actually surprisingly great when asked to be, this match wasn't exactly one for their memory album though.

Was Storm meant to be the inaugural NXT UK Women’s Champ but she got legit injured by Ripley so they gave it to her instead? That is some bullshit if that is the case but it would explain why Trips had a face like thunder when he came out after the match and why Ripley was saying thank you over and over to him and Saint.

·
Premium Member
43,878 Posts

I've missed the last two weeks, have I missed anything significant.

I hate to say it, but I am just not feeling it with this brand.

I wasn't getting the sense of a hot direction or a major feud to build around. It just felt very "paint by numbers".

·
Banned
16,745 Posts

Yeah this show seems to lack a really big feud or good storylines, especially for the UK title, just feels like we get random title matches with no story or build up to them. For the most part its like we just get random matches every show, the only real rivalry seems to be The Coffey's and Mustache Mountain.

·
Registered
11,395 Posts
Still not feeling Gallus. Don't much like the name either, but whatever. Should have just left the Coffey's as a tag team. Have them in the Grizzled Young Vets tag team spot and have GYV involved with Dunne, Bate and Seven. If GYV needed a third, have Wolfie aligned with them. Why does so much have to be based on home country?

Gallus must have been told to walk really slow to appear menacing or something - but they ended up looking foolish as they're taking baby steps in order to draw out their slow walk to the ring.

I hate Mark Andrews entrance. Match was good enough. But I don't care about either. Somebody in the FO must like Aichner given the opportunities he's being given - he just has zero character to him - nothing. I don't think he's good enough in-ring to try and have his workrate get him over either.

NXTUK Women's division is better than what the main NXT brand can offer right now.

I no longer watch Eddie Dennis matches. And Tucker is not a name I can take seriously. Hard pass on both.

Flash Morgan Webster impressed me this week. He can actually work. I still think he'd best be suited as a manager though. Also I think his gimmick might play better in the US. Irish Ace Jordan Devlin has been the breakout wrestler of NXT UK to this point. Another very good main event match from him. That Ripcord Backdrop Driver should have been the finish though - that looked sick as all hell. Finishers don't ALWAYS have to be used - especially when you pull off a move like that.

I like Joseph Connors. I think he could be a player in time. Commentary was a bit scatterbrained this week both trying to paint Connors as a bit "off" while then in the next breath mentioning he runs a wrestling school. He might have the smallest tattoo on a wrestler on his right shoulder. Also his glitter gear doesn't match the commentators message that he's stoic backstage and a bit like the Shining Character. All those negatives being said, I still like his ring work - the sunset bucklebomb spot, the corner boots into stomp, and his finisher - and he works a bit of a grimy, physical style. They should expand on his "being left for dead in a bar fight" story to flesh out his character - have him abandoned by friends and fighting 5-6 men by himself and that's why he does't trust anybody and does what needs to be done to win, no matter then means. Moloney is bland.

Little backstage segments will go a long way in establishing characters. That Gallus v Bate and Seven outside bit was nothing, but it was also something.

Wild Boar is more Mild Bore amirite? He's garbage. And he's small. He got in WAY too much offense - it should have been a squash match. Mastiff's mic work surprised me - being just a regular bloke rather than any kind of imposing "monster" type. Dennis lurking in the back ground though - crud. I wouldn't mind seeing Mastiff vs Dunne for the title as a television main event down the line.

I don't watch Ligero matches either.

Candy Floss vs Ripley served it's purpose.

Banks vs Wolfgang needed more time. It was more about establishing/furthering the angle between Gallus and MM than anything. I will say that feud is growing on me. Banks being a replacement for Dunne though - that is something Dunne wouldn't support. I'd like to see him fight Banks in the future as well. Maybe cause a falling out between Dunne and MM as a result.

·
Registered
2,939 Posts

Let's get this off-chest, so is this show seriously trying to tell me that Fabian Aichner should be losing to this little twit Morgan Webster? Are they really selling me on this? This guy's a goof, he's a palooka. He does the same non-believable crap every night. This should've been a squash match and Aichner clobbered the stuffing out of him. A lesser man could paintbrush this stupid looking quarter a stone Webster and send him home. Instead, NXT wants to push him over one of the toughest looking guys you got in the roster. I mean what the hell... Someone was on the scotch when they booked this match.

Killer Kelly vs Isla Dawn - Average match between two tough ladies. I find Liz Olsen--, er excuse me Isla Dawn gets a bit better in the ring each week, but I'm still a bit lukewarm on her. She's an attractive redhead, slick with the kicks and knees no doubt, but she's got a barely noticeable aura to her and she's very dry on the mic. My gripe with this match how is NXT going to really tell me Kelly can go down to a modified vertical suplex? Come on. This is Killer Kelly who's kicked out of multiple Strong Zeroes and took it to Satomura confidently, and you have her lose like this? Tell them what, they would have been better off clipping down the Webster/Aichner absurdity and made this match longer, since Kelly didn't get to display much of what she can really do. Kelly doesn't have to win every match, but she shouldn't be jobbing.

Nor do I buy Dawn as a strong credible threat to Rhea Ripley. I just don't, sorry. Not to say I don't think Dawn would put up a fight, but she needs to do a lot more to convince me she's on Rhea's level when you got talent like Charlie Morgan and Jinny back there who are p4p better than Dawn in every quality. Even Millie is better. Moreover, in my mind a rivalry with Rhea and Kelly would have made far more sense here if Kelly had won this match and Rhea came out afterward.

·
Banned
16,745 Posts

Why are Wolfgang and Mark a tag team and Joe is the singles wrestler? Joe and Mark are brothers and wear identical ring gear, just seems dumb they aren't the tag team of the stable. Wolfgang and Mark just seem like an odd tag team.

Also wtf kind of shit finisher is that Isla Dawn uses? it looks like one of the weakest suplexes ever with a float over pin, and that is what shes beating people with? You have people kicking out of top rope superplexes yet at the same time you got people losing to Isla's weak ass vertical suplex? And when i say weak i mean fucking weak, she looks like she can barely lift them and perform the move.

Still not a fan of Gibson being put into a fucking tag team, the man should be in the main event as the UK champion not in a random ass tag team. And i'm not a fan of their tag finisher, its way too similar to The Revival's Shatter Machine.

Eddie Dennis vs Dave Mastiff was pretty good, starting to warm up a bit to Eddie he did well in the match and had some cool spots, still not a fan of his attire though its god awful. Personally i'd put Eddie in some Right To Censor type of gear, or at least some dress pants with a tank top to go along with his headmaster background of him being educated and well dressed. He just looks so damn goofy in that singlet with the shorts and little wrestling boots.

·
Registered
2,939 Posts

Also wtf kind of shit finisher is that Isla Dawn uses? it looks like one of the weakest suplexes ever with a float over pin, and that is what shes beating people with?
I'm thinking NXT creative may have banned her original finisher. It was the Dawn Special in the indies, spinning roundhouse kick into a Tazplex: half-nelson variant.

The vertical she had to replace it with, yeah it sucks... bad. She might as well just ask them to use her Savate as finisher if Dawn just can't do her original stuff anymore.

Soon as a lot of them got hired creative told them to stop doing their original moves, like Toni's TRUE Strong Zero piledriver which she can't do anymore.

·
Registered
4,631 Posts

Just got round to watching, my motivation levels for watching this brand are fading by the week, anyway...

Episode 15
Flash Morgan Webster vs Fabian Aichner - The booking of this match sucked. The standard of the match was ok, I find both underrated however; they booked Aichner like a proper threat against Mark Andrews, in this match they made him look like a complete geek. You could see the roll up finish for Flash coming a mile off, predictable crappy booking.

Isla Dawn vs Killer Kelly - Nice to see Killer Kelly back in action. This match was just to build up Isla further but for me she doesn't warrant an NXT UK Women's title match, they should've built better options. As I said last week and others have said this week, her finisher is pathetic.

Grizzled Young Veterans vs Williams & Jordan - Got this match a few weeks back, this time around it felt a little more boring. Only thing I will say from this match is that Amir Jordan is growing on me, he is a fun guy.

Trent Seven vs Joe Coffey - The Gallus stable is so shit but I'm warming to Joe Coffey as a performer. Just like Joe's match with Tyler Bate things started slow but picked up well down the stretch. That seems to be the theme of Joe Coffey matches, start off boring but get better as they progress, decent intensity and drama in the last five mins or so.

Episode 16
Skipped half of this episode, had zero interest in watching Mark Coffey & Wolfgang vs Ashton Smith & El Ligero and Joseph Conners beating up a jobber.

I skipped on and came to a Tyson T-Bone and Saxon Huxley video package hyping up their tag team, I've never laughed so hard, what a load of pathetic bollocks.

Jinny vs Xia Brookside - Pretty much a nothing match, Xia isn't as green as some people think though, the experience she has gained by going worldwide is paying off. What is it with Women and shitty finishers? Jinny needs a better one too.

Zack Gibson and James Drake cut a promo which could've been done backstage.

Dave Mastiff vs Eddie Dennis - This was an uneventful slog, Eddie Dennis can produce some decent promos but when it comes to in ring performance he is dull as dishwater. Mastiff picked up the win, I want to see him bring out more of a serious side.

Overall thoughts
Two uneventful episodes, NXT UK is starting to feel like a glorified version of Progress Wrestling but with a shitter roster.

·
Registered
23,368 Posts

Some brief thoughts from these last few episodes:

*Aichner is very impressive in the ring. No personality to speak of. But he can be a key piece in the division.

*Justice for Killer Kelly damn it.

*Joe Coffey vs. Trent Seven was a really good match. I forget at times how good Seven can be in singles action. And I need to start showing a little more respect to Coffey in the ring. Still don't care much for the Gallus stable.

*Xia Brookside given her age and look could have a bright future.

*Eddie Dennis as a "monster" is still laughable. He's a guy who's good at being an asshole and creepy. I don't care how tall he is.

101 - 120 of 348 Posts