Wrestling Forum banner

241 - 260 of 343 Posts

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
Re: NXT UK Weekly Show Discussion Thread [NO SPOILERS BEFORE THE SHOWS AIR PLEASE]

In order to make things more interesting, they would be best to give WALTER more reason to be there than simply wear the belt. In every other venue he has been in, he made it a point that he wasn't just coming to beat champs, he was coming to take over Die Matte. As in this goddamn show shall be his, and no others. The concept of keep wrestling pure, and sacred is the foundation principle of WALTER. He should be made to be feared by everyone if not respected, in that UK locker room.

He is a master of giving pain. Line up the sacrificial lambs every week and send them to WALTER for the slaughter. I get a good laugh every time he chops these jabronis, especially the 100 lb soaking wet types crawling all over this show.

And if Dunne wants, he can try to come and say he believes in the same thing (contrary to his finger breaking, roughhousing actions) but that this is "my house" not yours and if anyone's going to keep the ring sacred it's going to be me.

·
Premium Member
595 Posts
Re: NXT UK Weekly Show Discussion Thread [NO SPOILERS BEFORE THE SHOWS AIR PLEASE]

It's just so basic.
I like that though, its organic.

The bit where Jordan Devlin is asked about the Walter v Dunne match, and who has the title now. Devlin says he doesn't give a sh*t about it. Walter approaches with the belt draped over his shoulder. Devlin looks at it and gets stiff. Walter looks down at him, walks off. Devlin really wants that belt!!

Okay, NXT UK doesnt get the production budget the main roster gets but I like the subtlety over Strowman lifting an ambulance....for some reason.

·
Registered
22,854 Posts

I only saw the Rhea match this week with Kacy Catanzaro. After their MYC match I was hoping for something more like that, but this was pretty one sided. Rhea's got it all from look, presence, attitude, etc. I think she just needs to expand more in the ring.

Oh and I did see the Walter/Devlin tease with the staredown between them. That will be a fire match eventually.

I like that though, its organic.

The bit where Jordan Devlin is asked about the Walter v Dunne match, and who has the title now. Devlin says he doesn't give a sh*t about it. Walter approaches with the belt draped over his shoulder. Devlin looks at it and gets stiff. Walter looks down at him, walks off. Devlin really wants that belt!!

Okay, NXT UK doesnt get the production budget the main roster gets but I like the subtlety over Strowman lifting an ambulance....for some reason.
Don't get me wrong, I like a wrestling show to be fairly simple in execution. But not this simple. Even with simple story telling, there are subtle little nuances you can add to a story or a character to make things better.

NXT UK for the most part is just guys wrestling matches, guys cutting promos, with nothing feeling too deep or important that gets me engaged to keep watching week to week.

·
Premium Member
595 Posts

NXT UK for the most part is just guys wrestling matches, guys cutting promos, with nothing feeling too deep or important that gets me engaged to keep watching week to week.
That's were we differ. I like guys wresting matches.......on wrestling shows!

·
SLAVE.
3,384 Posts

New NXT UK.

— It is cool that European Union are allowed to spin the whole “Die Matte Ist Heilig” thing and turn it into an elitist heel act. I think these guys have got so much more potential than they seemed to have when they first tossed together. Especially with Wolfe joining the brand.

— While the material didn't help, Toni Storm is a terrible promo. I honestly think she is pretty overrated all round, as I really don't care all that much for her in ring either.

— Is Xia Li permanent on NXT UK then? I think she has got real promise.

— I kinda expected a smoother match given how long these guys have been wrestling one another but I enjoyed that match between Moustache Mountain and Webster and Mandrews. Not really a big fan of Mandrews when he isn't wrestling Dunne, but he is in safe hands with Seven and Bate. I always forget how great Webster actually is as he is never really given prominent position in the indies I have seen him in or here. I'd love to see Webster challenge for the UK Title and give that D Bryanesque performance he did around this time last year when he challenge heel Banks for the PROGRESS Title in one of my most favourite PROGRESS matches ever.

·
Registered
2,800 Posts

I never thought in a million years I would be hearing people booing KLR. It came as a complete shock to me. Kay Lee Ray, even if you were never a fan of hers, has for many years been cheered but more so respected, as she is one of the legit ring generals of women's wrestling where it comes to matwork and aerial specialty. She is a natural Face, and people used to call her the next Lita.

Maybe it was just in the arena she was in, rough crowd or whatever. No offense to Xia Li, but I figured when this match began that KLR was going to be far more popular than Li is. I never figured KLR would be booed.

If there's anybody that the WWE may want to do all in their power to hang onto, it's making sure they keep Kay Lee around for years to come. She's been criminally overlooked for a long time by the States and I never knew why.

·
SLAVE.
3,384 Posts

A really meh episode of NXT UK leading into the Main Event. Stuff happened but nothing all that interesting so I'd mark this as pretty throwaway. Speaking of the Main Event itself though, it is a shame they didn't put the title on the line but it works in terms of the story they are telling. The match itself was... okay, it felt longer than it needed to be, especially with WALTER having to work a leg injury slowing himself down even further and he isn't exactly a workrate wrestler to begin with however the match was intense and hard hitting. I enjoyed that moment where a bloodied WALTER just unleashed a chop like a crack of thunder after letting Devlin wail on him for an extended period. They should have just ended it there, shave Walter's head and call him One Chop Man. The exchange at the end was a bit awkward though, so what are we thinking a triple threat here?

·
SGT. AT ARMS
16,585 Posts

Devlin vs WALTER was pretty good, i hope WALTER keeps using the Powerbomb as his finisher i like it alot better than the diving splash.

Its a shame Devlin likely wont ever get the UK title, i just don't see it happening, which is a shame cause Devlin is such a great heel and in ring performer and really deserves a run. Hopefully NXT UK adds a midcard title to give Devlin something he can actually get and have a good run with.

·
Registered
10,834 Posts

Devlin vs Walter should have been saved for a UK Takeover.

NXT UK shows taped in the US have zero atmosphere. So Walter vs Devlin was doubly wasted.

·
Registered
22,854 Posts

*I had never heard of this Mansoor until this week, but after seeing his performances against Dijak and Banks, this guy looks like he can a future star. Can't wait to see more of him.

*Dragunov is officially coming to NXT UK. He's a great addition.

*The Nina Samuels promo was well produced and she carries herself well. Have no idea how a Toni vs. Nina match will go though.

*Piper's match with Reina was basically to establish what she can do against someone her own size before she eventually faces Rhea. It worked well enough.

*Walter vs. Devlin was really good. They have great chemistry with one another and I hope they get another chance on a Takeover stage one day.

Devlin vs Walter should have been saved for a UK Takeover.

NXT UK shows taped in the US have zero atmosphere. So Walter vs Devlin was doubly wasted.
I would disagree about zero atmosphere. I thought this round of Axxess shows from NXT UK to the World Collide shows had a really good atmosphere and the crowds for the most part were pretty lively. Honestly better than some of the UK crowds than they've been in front of.

And while I wouldn't have done the match already, it doesn't mean they can't build to an eventual rematch on Takeover.

·
SLAVE.
3,384 Posts

New NXT UK.

— Some good action between MM and Hunt, nothing remarkable perhaps but perfectly fine.

— God, the cheapness of the production design when it came to the sign on that door. Embarrassing.

— Not a great match between Coffey and Webster and I would have liked to see Webster advance, but it worked in context because of the crowd, who were great. The post match promo thing for this though was... not good. It seemed like Gallus couldn't quite work out, in front of this crowd, whether they were still heels or not and then Wolfgang started cutting that promo and they cut him off..? Is this like to suggest dissension in the ranks or..? But why?

— Damn, Dunne getting that star treatment he deserves.

·
Registered
2,800 Posts

What is it about Nina Samuels that she cannot get a reaction out of the crowd for the life of her no matter what she does?

·
Registered
22,854 Posts

Neither of the qualifying matches did it for me this week. I can never get into a Ligero match. And Mastiff vs. Wolfgang didn't do much for me.

On the positive side, Walter's video package was very well done. Dragunov had a solid debut though it will probably take some time for fans to get used to him in NXT UK. But he's a guy who could main event a UK Takeover with Walter some time down the line.

And you had Jazzy's debut. On one hand it seems out of character for Killer Kelly to leave the ring and avoid a fight. On the other hand I can she's smarter than most pro wrestlers. Poor Xia, always the punching bag, lol.

·
SGT. AT ARMS
16,585 Posts

The womens division in NXT UK is getting stacked, it puts the NXT womens division to shame. I really can't think of one bad female wrestler on the NXT UK roster, i could see almost all of them winning the title at some point, can't say the same about NXT's womens division.

Dragunov's debut was alright, this is my first time seeing him, he definitely has a cool ass look with the contacts and intensity. I wasn't majorly impressed with him in the ring but i'll give him more time. Not sure what his finisher was, it looked like a running european uppercut but it looks like his head hit him more than the uppercut.

·
Registered
5,251 Posts

I really feel like NXT UK needs a midcard title. They've got tag titles, a women's title and their main belt but they've got an actual pretty stacked roster and it feels like with only the United Kingdom champion for men's singles competition a lot of them are just spinning their wheels waiting for the rare moments they get near it.

Hell given it's not just British talent on the show they could bring back a version of the European Championship as the midcard belt.

·
SLAVE.
3,384 Posts

New NXT UK.

Skipped last weeks and only tuned in this week to watch Dunne/WALTER 2. Did they really do all this to set up a BSS v EU feud? If so, what a load of bollocks...

In terms of the match, outside of the shitty finish I was still pretty eh on this throughout.

I think this went shorter than the TakeOver match but it still went a little long for me. I love WALTER and Dunne individually but their styles blended together just don't warrant 15 - 20 minute long matches, at least not for my tastes. In both of these matches I found myself getting quite bored. There were some good sequences, some surprisingly contrived ones as well and some real clunky ones (although you could argue they added to the “real feel” the match had) but really I don't think anything would be lost but a lot would have been gained if they reduced the running time of this by about a third.

I will say that I did like some of the storytelling here, especially when it came to positioning this like a true sequel with both guys clearly coming up with strategies using what they learned from the first encounter. I wish this stuff played into the match more but I guess after the ending this match never really mattered anyway.

·
SGT. AT ARMS
16,585 Posts

So why was Dunne vs WALTER 2 not saved for the upcoming Takeover in 2 weeks? I don't get why they put it on a regular episode of NXT UK.

241 - 260 of 343 Posts