-----

NXT Championship

Johnny Gargano (c) vs. Adam Cole

NXT Women’s Championship

Shayna Baszler (c) vs. Io Shirai

NXT North American Championship

Velveteen Dream (c) vs. Tyler Breeze

NXT Tag Team Championship Ladder Match

Danny Burch & Oney Lorcan vs. Street Profits vs. Undisputed ERA vs. Forgotten Sons

Matt Riddle vs. Roderick Strong

Reactions: Nostalgia

·
Registered
24,482 Posts
For a show they had to rush, another solid looking card.

Gargano vs. Cole feels more unpredictable this time around. In 1 night they got me to care about Dream vs. Breeze. Io provides a fresh opponent for Shayna. The tag ladder match could be a great clusterfuck. And Roddy vs. Riddle is gonna be great.

And once again my boy Keith Lee STILL CANNOT GET ON A FREAKING TAKEOVER...…..OK, OK. I'm calm, I'm good.

·
Registered
8,589 Posts
This is the time of the usual filler TakeOver but that card doesn't look filler at all. Contrast to last year's June TakeOver where, yeah, it was good, but you just knew it was filler. Everyone knew Lars wasn't beating Aleister, Nikki wasn't beating Shayna, and Lorcan and Burch weren't beating Undisputed. Not so here. Even with such short notice it looks really good.

Riddle beats Roddy, obviously. This is the most predictable match.

Dream is almost certainly going to retain as well, unless they want to set him up for a run at the NXT title. Things get harder from here.

It's either going to be Undisputed or the Profits in the ladder match, but this might be the show that sets up TUE's "draped in gold" thing. It will depend somewhat on what goes down in the main event. I'm slightly favoring Undisputed here.

Io needs to beat Shayna. If Shayna retains clean, Io is buried. She wouldn't be able to get revenge for Kairi and all this badass stuff she's been up to will be a fluke. Sadly, if there's one thing we can predict it's Shayna shitting up the division, so I'm not optimistic. The most I'm hoping for is a DQ so Io can get revenge later. Maybe, just maybe, this TakeOver isn't filler after all, and with what I think will happen on the heel side, this show needs a babyface moment, but when in doubt, always opt for Triple H's MMA boner. fpalm

And it's really now or never for Cole. If he fails again, he's done and dusted. He has a teflon quality in that he can talk shit all the time, lose, and still be credible, but it has its limits. Time to put up or shut up. If the Undisputed Era is going to be "draped in gold," it needs to start with the leader on June 1st. There's strong babyface challengers and less strong heels, and now that Johnny's had his moment, I actually think he's likelier to lose. Going with Cole here, somehow, someway. It probably won't be clean.

·
Registered
6,282 Posts
Hopefully Io wins the title here. The "Shayna and friends" thing is getting stale and if NXT won't let Io fucking Shirai, arguably one of the top 3 best female wrestlers in the world, go over Shayna, then who the fuck is left because Shayna's cleaned out most of the rest of the division. Also Io even has the added story point of wanting to "avenge" Kairi.

Shayna has nothing left to do in NXT as champion, she's just spinning her wheels creatively. And they could always turn Io heel later and have her feud with Candice or Dakota or whomever as well.

Part of me wants to see Breeze win. He's been criminally underused on the MR and I'd like to at least see him find success in NXT, plus he seems perfect for a title like this and Dream can bounce back from a loss better than almost anyone on the NXT roster. Also it'd be cool to get a longer feud out of it between those two.

Gargano vs. Cole is a toss-up imo, I really go back on forth on the winner.

The Tag match honestly doesn't do much for me.

·
THE MAN has come around to collect her debts.
10,035 Posts
I'm honestly not ready for another Cole/Gargano match. They just went 45 minutes like 2 days ago it seems. Too soon for another match full of false finishes.

Hopefully Io Shirai takes the gold from Baszler though so she can be called up to RAW to feud with Becky.

Dream vs Breeze should be a good one.

·
SGT. AT ARMS
17,300 Posts
For a show they had to rush, another solid looking card.

Gargano vs. Cole feels more unpredictable this time around. In 1 night they got me to care about Dream vs. Breeze. Io provides a fresh opponent for Shayna. The tag ladder match could be a great clusterfuck. And Roddy vs. Riddle is gonna be great.

And once again my boy Keith Lee STILL CANNOT GET ON A FREAKING TAKEOVER...…..OK, OK. I'm calm, I'm good.
Yeah i feel like Keith Lee debuted ages ago and still can't get on a Takeover, just watch the Takeover after this one Kushida will likely get a big singles match and Keith Lee will once again not be on the card. The guy can't even get a real feud ffs.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I think there's a lot of interesting title changes there but I agree with those who say that Shayna should lose the title to Io. Shayna has been on top for such a long time. It's over 300 days now that she's been champion (with a short break) and it is finally time for the other women to shine and get a run with the championship.

·
Registered
8,589 Posts
And meanwhile some initial promo posters for the Toronto TakeOver feature Shayna and Bianca Belair.

I mean, I know that doesn't say much, but holy shit if Shayna retains just so she can have another shit match with Bianca who has zero going for her now. Sadly, that's the sort of thing I've come to expect from this shit heap of a division so I can't say it's altogether unlikely.

·
Custom User Title
6,554 Posts
And meanwhile some initial promo posters for the Toronto TakeOver feature Shayna and Bianca Belair.

I mean, I know that doesn't say much, but holy shit if Shayna retains just so she can have another shit match with Bianca who has zero going for her now. Sadly, that's the sort of thing I've come to expect from this shit heap of a division so I can't say it's altogether unlikely.
Can you link these promo posters? There's nothing on any news sites about them. Keep in mind people like to design fan posters all the time.

And the poster from the arena website doesn't count. More often than not they just find talent to stick on there. Remember Hell in a Cell 2018 where Asuka and Shinsuke were featured prominently on the poster and then not used?

·
THE NXT CHAMP BAYBAY !
11,033 Posts
Adam Cole........... my brotha, it's time to win. It's been two years, it's now or never.

·
Waiting for Kawato
958 Posts
That North American title match is so lame... Like how much more are you going to get this guy over by having him fight... Tyler Breeze? He goes from Riddle to this? Is that not the wrong direction? I know Breeze is really good, but I feel like for once the women are not going to be the one down point on this show. Hope I'm wrong.

Kind of excited to see Io and Shayna actually. Hoping we get something other than the standard Shayna match, but... That's probably hoping for too much. Hope I'm wrong there too.

Still, the other three matches look like they'll be gold. Though I'm not sure how that main event can possibly top the drama of their last match. I see some sort of screwy finish on the horizon.

Also, why the hell is Kushida not on this show? What a waste.

·
Lifting weights and eating steaks
18,169 Posts
Card doesn't really interest me and I am not really interested in ANY of the matches.

Will tune in though, always enjoy the TakeOver shows.

:mark:

·
SGT. AT ARMS
17,300 Posts
Yeah Tyler getting the NA title match on this Takeover is mind boggling, if this was the plan why not have him wrestle a few matches on NXT building him up for it? have him win a big number 1 contenders match or something where he defeats some big names.

Cause i'm sorry but just plucking him from catering from the main roster and sticking him directly into a NA title match on a Takeover without ANY build is ridiculous. The guy is a jobber ffs, i don't care what he was on NXT 5 years ago, he's been completely destroyed on the main roster and turned into a jobber, you can't just have him come on NXT and act as if he's still Tyler from 5 years ago.

Thats like if they took The Ascension and put them against the War Raiders in a title match on this Takeover, who would take that seriously?

And if Breeze wins that makes Matt Riddle look like utter shit, cause he couldn't beat Dream but this jobber from Raw can? And i could see Breeze winning just cause i think they may want Dream moved up to the main event scene cause its so lacking right now, its pretty much just Cole and Gargano and Gargano is injured.

1 - 20 of 639 Posts