Wrestling Forum banner
61 - 80 of 136 Posts

·
PSYCH | SAIYANS
13,813 Posts
This new NXT definitely isn’t better than the old one.

The old NXT actually didn’t rush their shows, and the wrestling was generally much better too.
This is the actual old nxt you speak of. Before it became over ran with trying to be roh, the point of nxt when it was on Hulu long before a network was quick matches, character development, and everything else. This was exactly NXT that led to the Arrival show on the network.

·
PSYCH | SAIYANS
13,813 Posts
The problem is NXT became so reliant on the indie guys who never wanted to be called up that they failed to make stars in the process, invalidating the purpose of their existence. Vince was right to take over and push a bunch of young, good looking guys. There's no point in wasting resources on O'Reilly, Gargano, and Ciampa when you know they're not going to do a goddamn thing on the main roster. Adam Cole was the last hope of an indie guy breaking through on the main roster, but they fumbled that bag spectacularly, so they'd might as well start from scratch.
I agree with you they fumbled with Cole.

The fact that they were constantly saying Champa, KOR, Gargano, oh you guys never have to be called up was what made it flop concept wise.

There was never any point for Vince if you’re not getting called up. Now in trips defense he probably would still be getting away with it if there was no covid. He could have had arena takeovers and some tours with the tv deal. But once they lost full sail, they lost the takeovers in arenas, and they combined it with all the top guys not wanting to be called up ... Vince should have went wtf. As big a concept as Undisputed Era was and as much as they put them over at Survivor Series, having none of them want to come up, and their leader who is the only with a characters deal expire earlier than expected had to piss him off.

Also I don’t know if you follow it but 205 live the past 3 weeks have moved from crusierweights to featuring women and tag team matches. In fact BFabs opponent and the tag team Imperium worked with worked 205 live the past two weeks to get ready for NXT TV.

·
Butter My Arse
12,426 Posts
Nice to see Steiner Jr make his debut.

In all seriousness, damn he is the spitting image of his uncle. Not seen his match yet as I have no way of watching it.

Was hoping to catch the rest of this show but looks like it’s not on the Dubbya Network yet.

·
Premium Member
1,075 Posts
The biggest problem here is that a lot of people wanted an escape/break from the diarrhoea on Monday night, and because its Prichard and McMahon now doing this, its just going to be a two hour extension on top of three hours of garbage booking, rushed and meaningless story lines, DQ's, 50/50 & botches.

NXT 1.0 was a very unique, fast paced, black & gold, Slipknot, developmental system. NXT 2.0 is already looking like Nickelodeon show that has shipped 2-3 million viewers over the last five years!

·
Registered
325 Posts
After All Out, people said "Your move, Vince". People may think that move came with Big E on Monday. But their move happened as soon as Nick Khan announced the NXT revamp weeks before All Out.

I checked out NXT for the first time since 2019 last night. Although, it's not something I will spend 2 hours watching, I am interested in seeing what the WWE will look like in 5 years time.

This is WWE's move. Building for the long term. First time I saw that Carmelo Hayes. He doesn't look like the 6ft mould I was tuning in last night for. But the guy with him is.

LA Knight I saw for the first time too. He looks too old to be developmental.

I think I will check back with NXT when someone like Bronn Breaker graduates to the main roster. Because by the time last nights debutants are on the main roster, 90% of NXT will be 6ft under 30 guys. Right now, we are still in that transition phase of people like Ciampa, Gargano, even someone as old as LA Knight being phased out.

From what I saw last night, from someone who only watches Roman Reigns segments in WWE, and is an avid AEW fan, this new NXT looks promising. It's what I want WWE to look like in future.

I love the colours also. I get my pro wrestling fix from AEW. But WWE is this larger than life, Mardi Gras variety show that just happens to have wrestling in. It's Sports Entertainment. And I felt the Sports Entertainment vibe last night.

Good for them, for getting back to what works. But I will see you in a few years when this new 6ft under 30 edict is 90% of the roster, and is filtering through to Raw and Smackdown.

Also - After what I saw last night, I can't see WCW events like Halloween Havoc or The Great American Bash fitting this environment. Unless we get a Nickelodeon makeover of their logos and branding.

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
The problem is NXT became so reliant on the indie guys who never wanted to be called up that they failed to make stars in the process, invalidating the purpose of their existence. Vince was right to take over and push a bunch of young, good looking guys. There's no point in wasting resources on O'Reilly, Gargano, and Ciampa when you know they're not going to do a goddamn thing on the main roster. Adam Cole was the last hope of an indie guy breaking through on the main roster, but they fumbled that bag spectacularly, so they'd might as well start from scratch.

Don't you think NXT failed to produce stars because they were butchered the second they went to the main roster?

I mean, I definitely agree that they relied too much on indie guys and allowed them to stay in NXT instead of moving up to the main roster, but it's hard to blame them when they'd see how spectacularly main roster would fuck up their colleagues' careers.

·
Registered
13,737 Posts
Don't you think NXT failed to produce stars because they were butchered the second they went to the main roster?

I mean, I definitely agree that they relied too much on indie guys and allowed them to stay in NXT instead of moving up to the main roster, but it's hard to blame them when they'd see how spectacularly main roster would fuck up their colleagues' careers.

Plenty of people from NXT have go on to have successful careers or were only held back because of unfortunate circumstances [Samoa Joe already being broken down and Finn Balor getting injured right as he was getting pushed as a world champion]. There's only a few that WWE really dropped the ball with [Like ECIII and Authors of Pain without keeping Paul Ellering].

·
Hiding in the shadows
2,126 Posts
For the record, I did tune in last night, only to see what the "new" NXT 2.0 was. I was a faithful watcher up until early 2020, however, it was becoming more and more like Raw and SmackDown, so I stopped watching. Yes, you can stop watching something you don't like. Crazy, huh?

Last night's reboot was just more of the same, yet somehow, worse. NXT 2.0... really? Just rename it something else. The bright color-scheme, the shiny over-produced look, forced and scripted promos, no new title belts, even more ridiculous talent names and the talent themselves. Some of the "green", should have stayed on the sidelines. No one I hadn't seen prior, was really "good". The only guy who stood out to me, was Rex Steiner. He looked great, moved well and wrestled just fine. He is one to watch, but I won't be watching.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Lol at people telling NXT never had proper storylines. For me both Ciampa and Gargano gave a lot to the business overall, their feud was one of the last good things I've watched on WWE program before I moved on with my life. Lets not also forget the classics between FTR, DYI and American Alpha. I think Gargano has that underdog Bryan Danielson aura around him, with proper build up he can become solid name in the main roster.

We will see what will become from the magic trio Parker Bordeaux, Steiner Jr. and Gable. I'm not optimistic at all.

·
Premium Member
13,051 Posts
I liked the Creed brothers 🤷‍♂️

They reminded when I first saw Swagger but they actually seem more polished in the ring.

I can’t tell them apart yet but one of them is called Brutus and it’s an epic name.

·
Registered
931 Posts
I need to take a look - haven't watched NXT live in over a year.

I like that it seems to be going back to a more development show and, major shock, preparing people for main roster. The real underlying competition to move up to MR is a great background storyline that got lost in the era when NXT talent were loving their art form, being true to themselves and wanting to stay on NXT. Guys like Holland, Steiner, Steveson, Boudreaux... WWE has multiple attempts to get guys to at least upper mid card on MR now

Keep some of the smaller guys though. Some of Daniel Bryan's success was by being the smaller guy who overcame the odds. It works well from time to time as part of a wider story, but you can't have smaller guys overcoming the odds all the time. That makes the odds in their favor to start with and it just looks unbelievable.

·
Registered
2,802 Posts

The Indie stars went to an Indie setting like what NXT was and never adapted to the WWE model. You can't go out on Raw and expect to have a technical 30 minute match. That's why none of them got over, then others refused to move to the main roster and that's their career pretty much over now until they move to AEW, Impact or ROH.

·
Registered
6,481 Posts
After All Out, people said "Your move, Vince". People may think that move came with Big E on Monday. But their move happened as soon as Nick Khan announced the NXT revamp weeks before All Out.

I checked out NXT for the first time since 2019 last night. Although, it's not something I will spend 2 hours watching, I am interested in seeing what the WWE will look like in 5 years time.

This is WWE's move. Building for the long term. First time I saw that Carmelo Hayes. He doesn't look like the 6ft mould I was tuning in last night for. But the guy with him is.

LA Knight I saw for the first time too. He looks too old to be developmental.

I think I will check back with NXT when someone like Bronn Breaker graduates to the main roster. Because by the time last nights debutants are on the main roster, 90% of NXT will be 6ft under 30 guys. Right now, we are still in that transition phase of people like Ciampa, Gargano, even someone as old as LA Knight being phased out.

From what I saw last night, from someone who only watches Roman Reigns segments in WWE, and is an avid AEW fan, this new NXT looks promising. It's what I want WWE to look like in future.

I love the colours also. I get my pro wrestling fix from AEW. But WWE is this larger than life, Mardi Gras variety show that just happens to have wrestling in. It's Sports Entertainment. And I felt the Sports Entertainment vibe last night.

Good for them, for getting back to what works. But I will see you in a few years when this new 6ft under 30 edict is 90% of the roster, and is filtering through to Raw and Smackdown.

Also - After what I saw last night, I can't see WCW events like Halloween Havoc or The Great American Bash fitting this environment. Unless we get a Nickelodeon makeover of their logos and branding.
Yeah because we all know that Halloween Havoc was always pro wrestling's most serious and prestigious event. Never would a show called Halloween Havoc resort to gimmicky BS or featuring tall green dudes in prominent roles. I must have imagined WCW's two years of spin the wheel, make the deal(1992 & 1993), the Chamber of Horrors match(1991), the Sumo Monster Truck match and The Giant winning the World Title(1995).

·
Angry at refs
5,460 Posts
A lot of the show stunk tbh, but the parts that were great (Steiner's kid being the highlight) stood out because they actually gave segments and promos the time.

I loved FCW + early NXT, no not the gameshow, but the Bo Dallas > Sami Zayn era so I'm happy to see some of that coming back. The now old NXT where Gargano, Cole, Ciampa, etc. stayed on top for years upon years was painful to watch because the booking just wasn't there. There's no point in having great matches if the stories aren't captivating enough.

·
Registered
2,802 Posts
Keep some of the smaller guys though. Some of Daniel Bryan's success was by being the smaller guy who overcame the odds. It works well from time to time as part of a wider story, but you can't have smaller guys overcoming the odds all the time. That makes the odds in their favor to start with and it just looks unbelievable.
DB was very good as the underdog and in Team Hell No, but he had no mainstream appeal until he was on Total Divas and Bellas and then played on the woe is me angle.

His long awaited return from injury was a damp squib.

·
Registered
2,802 Posts
Yeah because we all know that Halloween Havoc was always pro wrestling's most serious and prestigious event. Never would a show called Halloween Havoc resort to gimmicky BS or featuring tall green dudes in prominent roles. I must have imagined WCW's two years of spin the wheel, make the deal(1992 & 1993), the Chamber of Horrors match(1991), the Sumo Monster Truck match and The Giant winning the World Title(1995).
I loved spin the wheel and the chamber of horrors concept.

The only letdown was people expecting something decent and you end up with coal miners glove match. The white castle of fear strap match was good.

You would always expect a fun Brawl at Havoc and partnerships such as Cactus Jack and Abdullah the Butcher. Brian Pillman was always putting on a 5 star classic at Havoc too.

Yeah the Sumo Monster Truck Match was the drizzling shits.

·
Registered
325 Posts

I get you. It's Halloween it's not meant to be serious. But NXT in black and gold resembled the classic Halloween Havoc brand much better than Nickelodeon colours NXT. I just find it hard to see. I'm not talking Halloween itself.

And this is coming from someone who prefers the new NXT.

·
PSYCH | SAIYANS
13,813 Posts

Who did the main roster butcher?

Black had no character just creepy music. Ascension had no back story or character. Neville had no actual character, was just athletic when they got him on the main roster.

I mean Paige had a character and they built on it on the main roster. Big E showed character and they built on his personality and his power and made millions off him. Charlottes character developed from BFF to Queen and they just added to it. Sasha grew step by step to being the Boss and they maxed it out to the point she had Snoop with her on the main roster as an entrance. Bayley had a character meant for nxt but they just turned it all up to something bigger to make her credible on the main roster. Becky was the red step child in nxt and the main roster made her a star, not the other way around. Xavier woods was just a consequence creed ripoff but they made him into the New Day guy you see. And they used Rusev damn good until Lana kept getting him Heat.

I can point to Bianca who they never gave a character to nxt, just talked about her being an athlete. WWE main roster writers pushed the EST stuff and gave her mic time. I can point to Priest who wallowed in nxt for years with no character other than being tall, but main roster writers have used much better. I can point to the Street Profits who did not get real tv time or mic time, just a random wale introduction in their last next match, but have gotten character time in wwe too brands. I can point to Carmella and Alexa both who were just managers and forgotten in nxt but got used much better by raw and sd. Corbin had no real path in nxt and they made characters with him on the main roster.

I mean give Vince a Sabatelli and watch what he does with him on raw or sd compared to nxt using a guy like Apollo Crews over him lol

I mean people will say but Ricochet, but Black, but Andrade, and yet they can’t tell me what their actual character was other than guy who wrestle good and got sent up. There was nothing there for a main roster writer to build on in a character business because Vince has been selling sports entertainment his whole life not pro wrestling and 5 star matches.

I mean give Vince the choice of 5 star athlete or a character with a good look and he’s choosing the character because he can smoke and mirror the rest and print money off the moment and spectacle. There’s a reason Vince could not give a fuck about having 10 Christians on his roster compared to 1 Jeff Hardy for instance historically

·
Registered
5,375 Posts
The Indy era of NXT is now dead, if you like random big sweaty muscly men like Vince does, then this is the Wrestling show for you.

Some indy guys will stick around, some will still have worth, but I wouldn’t be surprised if there’s a massive roster cull in the not so distant future.

They said they don’t want anymore midgets, last night pretty much proved that, they are trying to find their new Reigns, new Lesnar, new Cena and new Orton.

When Parker Boudreaux turns up, @PhenomenalOne11 best have his lube and a sock ready.

61 - 80 of 136 Posts