Wrestling Forum banner
41 - 60 of 136 Posts

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
I felt NXT 2.0 is pretty much the same but the set is different. I personally really like the old logo, I think the new logo is too colorful for wrestling. The only thing I like more about the new NXT are the lights, it is brighter and bigger video screen. NXT logos at multiple places but otherwise it is the same. I always watch NXT and will continue to watch.

·
Registered
13,865 Posts
Nice one OP

happy you enjoyed it - hope the nxt section becomes active again as a result

·
Currently lying down wearing a blue suit
16,231 Posts
Meh after how much NXT has bored me for years it's nice to see a new direction, it's not a perfect show but the direction is much better
This new NXT definitely isn’t better than the old one.

The old NXT actually didn’t rush their shows, and the wrestling was generally much better too.

·
Registered
Resident Centrist
5,959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
This new NXT definitely isn’t better than the old one.

The old NXT actually didn’t rush their shows, and the wrestling was generally much better too.
I thought the formula tonight was really good. You had a bunch of short matches where you introduced new talent to the audience, put them over, you had plenty of segments and promos to enhance the storylines. You had one of the last of the old guard of NXT win the championship to hold it until one of the young guys is ready to take it from him, and they finally brought to an end one of their most popular storylines.

And the only reason the wrestling was better is because you're bringing in established names from the indies, these guys are all developing and will get better with exposure and time. Hell I thought Steiner was good right off the bat.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Agreed, I wouldn't mind if the other main roster shows adapt this if it ends up working for NXT. Shorter matches, more storytelling, and the return of a true midcard seems best for business.
Couldn't agree more. Looking at all the greatest wrestlers throughout time, the massive majority you're going to remember them for their segments/promos far more than their matches. The stories as a total are important, and the in-ring is just one part of telling that story. You might be able to go in the ring, but people need to be invested in you or they're not really gonna care if you can beat someone else in a fake fight. Shit, even in real fighting, MMA, people still prefer fights with stories to them.

It's been 1 show bro.

·
Registered
31,242 Posts
Couldn't agree more. Looking at all the greatest wrestlers throughout time, the massive majority you're going to remember them for their segments/promos far more than their matches. The stories as a total are important, and the in-ring is just one part of telling that story. You might be able to go in the ring, but people need to be invested in you or they're not really gonna care if you can beat someone else in a fake fight. Shit, even in real fighting, MMA, people still prefer fights with stories to them.

It's been 1 show bro.
Yup folk forget we sooo much wrestling in a month let alone a year. Most shit will be forgotten. But fire stories and characters last a long time.

·
The EST of NXT
The LegitEST BOSS
34,776 Posts
Yeah, the worst part of the show was Ciampa winning, because he's literally the face of everything wrong with old NXT, but getting generic guys like O'Reilly out the paint is a step forward. I would also love to see the belt slapped on Rex Steiner in the near future, since they have him out here squashing number one contenders in the first segment. The show felt like it was trying to be entertaining and progressive instead of having a bunch of worthless spotfests with 40-year-old Indy guys.

·
16,231 Posts
It's been 1 show bro.
It’s just not a promising sign, man.

It’s not the good-quality NXT that many fans came to know and love over the past few years.

·
16,231 Posts
Yeah, the worst part of the show was Ciampa winning, because he's literally the face of everything wrong with old NXT, but getting generic guys like O'Reilly out the paint is a step forward. I would also love to see the belt slapped on Rex Steiner in the near future, since they have him out here squashing number one contenders in the first segment. The show felt like it was trying to be entertaining and progressive instead of having a bunch of worthless spotfests with 40-year-old Indy guys.
Nah, the best part of NXT tonight (besides the entertaining wedding segment) was EASILY Tommaso Ciampa winning back Goldie.

I guarantee you that Kyle O’Reilly is still a better choice to feature in the main-event scene over many of your questionable green guys that you’re rooting for (some strange reason).

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Yup folk forget we sooo much wrestling in a month let alone a year. Most shit will be forgotten. But fire stories and characters last a long time.
100% off the top of my head I'm not sure I can even name many stories that were bad, but we remember them because they had a great match at the end. Though you can likely name 100 different stories where the ending match wasn't a classic, yet you can still remember the segments/promos from it, and overall it's considered a good story.

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
Agreed, I wouldn't mind if the other main roster shows adapt this if it ends up working for NXT. Shorter matches, more storytelling, and the return of a true midcard seems best for business.
Can’t really do that when those idiots have to fill up 3 Hours every week with half of a roster 😂

·
Registered
6,402 Posts
This approach is definitely better for the main rosters long term health ie using NXT as a proper developmental and focusing more on bigger, younger guys and promos over in ring work, but it probably marks the end of NXT being a proper attraction in its own right. The reason NXT got popular in the first place is because the WWE essentially turned it into a big budget pretend super indie where they could sign a bunch of people the IWC liked and use it as a containment ground for that stuff.

·
The EST of NXT
The LegitEST BOSS
34,776 Posts
This approach is definitely better for the main rosters long term health ie using NXT as a proper developmental and focusing more on bigger, younger guys and promos over in ring work, but it probably marks the end of NXT being a proper attraction in its own right. The reason NXT got popular in the first place is because the WWE essentially turned it into a big budget pretend super indie where they could sign a bunch of people the IWC liked and use it as a containment ground for that stuff.
The problem is NXT became so reliant on the indie guys who never wanted to be called up that they failed to make stars in the process, invalidating the purpose of their existence. Vince was right to take over and push a bunch of young, good looking guys. There's no point in wasting resources on O'Reilly, Gargano, and Ciampa when you know they're not going to do a goddamn thing on the main roster. Adam Cole was the last hope of an indie guy breaking through on the main roster, but they fumbled that bag spectacularly, so they'd might as well start from scratch.

·
Registered
Resident Centrist
5,959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
OP probably loved the guest host era on Monday Night Raw back in 2009.
Guest host era sucked. NXT gameshow though? Give me that Genesis of McGillicuty and Titus "make it a win" O'Neil every single day. Just give me Michael Cole NXT season 3 commentary while you're at it too

41 - 60 of 136 Posts