Wrestling Forum banner
21 - 40 of 136 Posts

·
Registered
6,481 Posts
I agree it's amazing how much more you can do when every match isn't 2 segments long. They got 3 matches in alone on the first half hour alone. They debuted new talent, reestablished veteran talent, started stories, continued stories, and paid off a long term story.
It's as if TV wrestling has a formula.

Honestly, I think Ciampa might actually retain against him.

He still has potential programs with Samoa Joe, Pete Dunne, Timothy Thatcher, Kyle O'Reilly (since he got screwed), Carmelo Hayes, and Ridge Holland too.
Ciampa is the right kind of guy to carry the mantle until someone from the "new direction" is ready to take over. If a guy gets it in short order that's great, if it takes a while there are avenues that they can travel aswell. The key thing was to get the belt on a guy who isn't likely to leave NXT in the short term(I have no idea about his contractual situation) so that they can somewhat help ease the transition.

Agreed, wrestling can be numerous things but it seems to be a problem to those types of people when you say you prefer guys who look big and guys that are more about character than in ring.
And anybody who acts like that about either side of the argument is an idiot.

·
Registered
31,242 Posts
Those matches that went '2 segments long' were usually really good at least 80% of the time though.
Yeah, but it leaves less time for building stories, less room to get on more talent, and when long TV matches are the norm it takes out the specialness of long PPV matches. Not saying never have a long TV match, but they should feel special and rare.

·
Registered
Resident Centrist
5,959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Tbf I think getting ran off Wednesdays and the rumblings of Vince coming in got warranted worry of it being dead, especially for the crowd it was geared too. But I think this has the nice blend of being able to be a hardcore friendly show, while also better aligning with the main roster. Of course just keep tweaking and see what works
You're not wrong but I think it definitely has the work of a great show. It's what a developmental show should be.

·
Registered
8,924 Posts
I only watched the clips on youtube but it seems more or less the same except the colours are much brighter. Not sure about the new Suicide Squad inspired colour scheme. Is that permanent or just to promote extreme rules? If it is permanent, maybe they are experimenting using NXT as a product made more to appeal to female fans?

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Loved the show but I also didn't dislike the old NXT like you did. Still the real test is how the show looks a month from now. Reboot shows almost always rule, even Nitro's in 2000 got good reviews (at the time). We'll see how things are once it settles down.

Anyways yeah, I thought the show was really good. Not saying every match has to be limited to one segment but variety does help. Seems to be a lot more character progression too so that doesn't hurt. The wedding segment was surprisingly entertaining as I usually hate those. Only thing is LA Knight getting beaten twice in the same night was very strange unless he's going straight to the main roster now.

Steiner showed a lot of promise and the Creed Brothers continue to impress me. Can't see them staying the way they are for long but I'll enjoy it while it lasts. Not sure about Ridge Holland but we'll see. Von Wagner didn't really impress either but I'm not going to judge him just yet. Never heard of the Johnny the Bull knockoff guy but an over the top character can't hurt.

I really dig the new set but the colors can be a little much. Personally I'd pick one or two and go with that over the rainbow stuff. Still....even as someone who loves dark stuff the last set was just too much. Skulls and black everywhere, that bad Poppy song, the chains over the barricade lol. This is a little too far of a swing in the other direction but it's better overall IMO. Well actually I'd make the ring spin as well to complete the wacky new set.

Hopefully they can keep this kinda energy up for a while.

·
Currently lying down wearing a blue suit
16,231 Posts
Honestly, just give me my wrestling fix (with some of the old/familiar names), and I'm fine with the show.

Some of those fun sequences between Tommaso Ciampa and Pete Dunne tonight is exactly the type of action/entertainment that I want to see from the show too.

I also did enjoy the 2nd half of the women's 6-tag match too once it eventually picked up.

Edit:

I'm not worried about the entertainment aspect since the wedding segment tonight was awesome. They'll be fine with the entertainment factor as long as the Way and Cameron Grimes are still prominent parts of the show.

·
Registered
5,400 Posts
I don't give a shit about personal opinions, if you're excited about Van Wagner, you need a new hobby. And possibly some medical assistance.

Sent from my HD1907 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
31,242 Posts
When SD and Raw were their most entertaining and successful they did follow that formula.
Exactly Vince has forgotten that. Back then every level of the card had stories and a title to go after you could follow. Of course an Al Snow vs Hardcore Holly didn't get the same focus as a Rock vs HHH. But it at least had a reason for you to invest into even the piss break matches.

·
Registered
6,481 Posts
Exactly Vince has forgotten that. Back then every level of the card had stories and a title to go after you could follow. Of course an Al Snow vs Hardcore Holly didn't get the same focus as a Rock vs HHH. But it at least had a reason for you to invest into even the piss break matches.
I don't know if it's that Vince has forgotten it because you can clearly see signs of him trying to do things of that nature. The problem is that much like any TV show that watches their audience shrink they start "playing the hits" to try and hold on to as many people as they can, when that wears thin they resort to stunts(like high profile guest stars in every episode(he entire Guest Host era of Raw fits the stunt casting bill)), and eventually you are left with the most "diehard" of fans and you run out of room to try new things that may deviate from what these fans want to see.

·
Registered
13,739 Posts
Yeah he's one of those "if you prefer characters and promos/big guys over the good in ring talent you aren't a real wrestling fan" guys

He must have despised the Attitude Era then lol.

The problem is it doesn't matter how good they are, matches should not be going 2 segments long UNLESS it's a huge main event. They're doing it right by having quick matches to get over the new guys.

In general I prefer keeping longer matches for PPVs. Every now and then you can have a long match on TV when it's warranted. I tuned out of that tag team turmoil match on RAW a week or 2 ago after like 20 minutes. I would have been more willing to watch if I had money invested in watching it. TV should be primarily used to set up and further feuds, with the payoffs being on PPV or special events. AEW constantly having long matches on Dynamite is one of the big turnoffs for me, even though I think they are doing fine as a product overall.

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
They're looking like they're all in on Steiner as a potential face of the brand, if they weren't positioning him so well this early I'd agree, but I think Ciampa is purely transitional.
What Steiner?
I just watched the first match but I'm pretty sure no Steiner name has been dropped. It's just a guy with dubious name dressed like Rick and acting even more retarded than him. LA Knight jobbing to him isn't necessarily a good thing. We will have to wait and see what happens.

I will continue watching the show but my first clue (OP having an orgasm about it) isn't a good one.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Bron Breakker. Bron fucking Breakker. What was wrong with Bronson Steiner, Bron Steiner or Rex Steiner names?
Is there a possibility that they'll give him some leg submission finisher and call him Unckle-Breakker or some shit?:ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
Resident Centrist
5,959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
What Steiner?
I just watched the first match but I'm pretty sure no Steiner name has been dropped. It's just a guy with dubious name dressed like Rick and acting even more retarded than him. LA Knight jobbing to him isn't necessarily a good thing. We will have to wait and see what happens.

I will continue watching the show but my first clue (OP having an orgasm about it) isn't a good one.
Meh after how much NXT has bored me for years it's nice to see a new direction, it's not a perfect show but the direction is much better

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
Meh after how much NXT has bored me for years it's nice to see a new direction, it's not a perfect show but the direction is much better
I have nothing against this format but it shouldn't be 2 hours and definitely not on primetime TV.
This should be an one hour show on WWE Network.

21 - 40 of 136 Posts