Wrestling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 136 Posts

·
Registered
Resident Centrist
5,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The sons of bitches did it, after years of hating NXT they got me back. I couldn't sit through a full episode of NXT for the last few years with guys like Gargano, Cole and Ciampa at the top of the card, but this episode has gotten me interested for next week. Tonight was the start of what NXT should be: quick matches, less longer matches, more segments/promos, and showcasing the younger generation of talent.

Thank fuck we have some big dudes now too, Von Wagoner and Rex Steiner are looking promising. Ciampa winning the belt wasn't great but I assume he's placeholder for Steiner to come and squash his ass in like a month or two. NXT being the true developmental is the way to go.

The Indie Era of NXT is slowly dying out and I love it. Props to WWE for making me care about NXT.

·
Registered
3,030 Posts
Not the kind of show I'd ever invest 2 hours each week into personally, it's basically RAW for big greenhorns.....not worthy of national syndication. It would be fine as a 1 hour streaming show like it was back in 2012ish, but the days of NXT selling out the Barclays in NYC are long gone with this type of presentation so get it off television.

·
Registered
6,479 Posts
It wasn't a great show but if it helps WWE stop leaning on retirees in the future then it's a good move. Get some young blood in there.

·
Registered
6,479 Posts
Yeah he's one of those "if you prefer characters and promos/big guys over the good in ring talent you aren't a real wrestling fan" guys
I just don't understand the infighting amongst fans about what they enjoy to watch or this real fan/fake fan nonsense. I mean holy shit, wrestling can be for everyone and in the past it thrived when it had something for everyone on every show. This belief that wrestling has to be one thing or the other is bullshit.

·
Currently lying down wearing a blue suit
16,231 Posts
The sons of bitches did it, after years of hating NXT they got me back. I couldn't sit through a full episode of NXT for the last few years with guys like Gargano, Cole and Ciampa at the top of the card, but this episode has gotten me interested for next week. Tonight was the start of what NXT should be: quick matches, less longer matches, more segments/promos, and showcasing the younger generation of talent.

Thank fuck we have some big dudes now too, Von Wagoner and Rex Steiner are looking promising. Ciampa winning the belt wasn't great but I assume he's placeholder for Steiner to come and squash his ass in like a month or two. NXT being the true developmental is the way to go.

The Indie Era of NXT is slowly dying out and I love it. Props to WWE for making me care about NXT.
Oh, it absolutely warms my heart that Tomasso Ciampa is now the NXT Champion, and he's representing this (poorly) revamped show now.

As long as the likes of Tommaso Ciampa, Samoa Joe, Pete Dunne, Johnny Gargano (who just closed the show btw), Kyle O'Reilly, Cameron Grimes, Austin Theory (assuming he stays), Roderick Strong, Isaiah Scott, Kushida, Carmelo Hayes, Santos Escobar, and Imperium are still heavily featured on the show near the top of the card; then the 'Indy' era will never die.

You still won't get your utopia of (mediocre/unpolished) big guys stinking up the show, but thankfully we have Ciampa now to help keep the show watchable :)

·
16,231 Posts
Nah, what did you even expect with the tone/intention of this thread?

Of course there'll be in-fighting with the way that the OP claims that the smaller/'Indy' wrestlers are "awful" for the show.

·
Registered
Resident Centrist
5,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Oh, it absolutely warms my heart that Tomasso Ciampa is now the NXT Champion, and he's representing this (poorly) revamped show now.

As long as the likes of Tommaso Ciampa, Samoa Joe, Pete Dunne, Johnny Gargano (who just closed the show btw), Kyle O'Reilly, Cameron Grimes, Austin Theory (assuming he stays), Roderick Strong, Isaiah Scott, Kushida, Carmelo Hayes, Santos Escobar, and Imperium are still heavily featured on the show near the top of the card; then the 'Indy' era will never die.

You still won't get your utopia of (mediocre/unpolished) big guys stinking up the show, but thankfully we have Ciampa now to help keep the show watchable :)
There'll always be a couple of those Indy types on the show but as long as they remain as the jobbers to the future stars then I'm cool with that. You can enjoy Ciampa's reign for the month or so it lasts because Steiner is squashing him and taking the belt.

·
Registered
Resident Centrist
5,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Nah, what did you even expect with the tone/intention of this thread?

Of course there'll be in-fighting with the way that the OP claims that the smaller/'Indy' wrestlers are "awful" for the show.
There's nothing wrong with having indy guys on the show provided they stay away from the main event and leave that to the future stars like Steiner, Von Wagoner etc

·
Registered
Resident Centrist
5,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I just don't understand the infighting amongst fans about what they enjoy to watch or this real fan/fake fan nonsense. I mean holy shit, wrestling can be for everyone and in the past it thrived when it had something for everyone on every show. This belief that wrestling has to be one thing or the other is bullshit.
Agreed, wrestling can be numerous things but it seems to be a problem to those types of people when you say you prefer guys who look big and guys that are more about character than in ring.

·
Registered
31,242 Posts
I agree it's amazing how much more you can do when every match isn't 2 segments long. They got 3 matches in alone on the first half hour. They debuted new talent, reestablished veteran talent, started stories, continued stories, and paid off a long term story. Like the format, obviously not perfect, but better than expected.

Change Bron's name back

·
16,231 Posts
There'll always be a couple of those Indy types on the show but as long as they remain as the jobbers to the future stars then I'm cool with that. You can enjoy Ciampa's reign for the month or so it lasts because Steiner is squashing him and taking the belt.
Honestly, I think Ciampa might actually retain against him.

He still has potential programs with Samoa Joe, Pete Dunne, Timothy Thatcher, Kyle O'Reilly (since he got screwed), Carmelo Hayes, and Ridge Holland too.

·
Registered
Resident Centrist
5,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I agree it's amazing how much more you can do when every match isn't 2 segments long. They got 3 matches in alone on the first half hour alone. They debuted new talent, reestablished veteran talent, started stories, continued stories, and paid off a long term story.
Exactly, the whole "NXT is dead" narrative that so many want to push is so exaggerated.

It almost feels like they want NXT to fail because it's not catering to them. And of course this new NXT will take time to get more polished, but once it gets rolling it looks to be a good and bright future.

·
Registered
Resident Centrist
5,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Honestly, I think Ciampa might actually retain against him.

He still has potential programs with Samoa Joe, Pete Dunne, Timothy Thatcher, Kyle O'Reilly (since he got screwed), Carmelo Hayes, and Ridge Holland too.
They're looking like they're all in on Steiner as a potential face of the brand, if they weren't positioning him so well this early I'd agree, but I think Ciampa is purely transitional.

·
16,231 Posts
I agree it's amazing how much more you can do when every match isn't 2 segments long. They got 3 matches in alone on the first half hour alone. They debuted new talent, reestablished veteran talent, started stories, continued stories, and paid off a long term story.
Those matches that went '2 segments long' were usually really good at least 80% of the time though.

·
Registered
31,242 Posts
Exactly, the whole "NXT is dead" narrative that so many want to push is so exaggerated.

It almost feels like they want NXT to fail because it's not catering to them. And of course this new NXT will take time to get more polished, but once it gets rolling it looks to be a good and bright future.
Tbf I think getting ran off Wednesdays and the rumblings of Vince coming in got warranted worry of it being dead, especially for the crowd it was geared too. But I think this has the nice blend of being able to be a hardcore friendly show, while also better aligning with the main roster. Of course just keep tweaking and see what works

·
Registered
Resident Centrist
5,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Those matches that went '2 segments long' were usually really good at least 80% of the time though.
The problem is it doesn't matter how good they are, matches should not be going 2 segments long UNLESS it's a huge main event. They're doing it right by having quick matches to get over the new guys.

1 - 20 of 136 Posts