Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought this response in another thread touched on a key point that few actually have noticed - NXT overexposure of talent:

None. WWE is overexposing it’s future stars too much with NXT and diminishing their star appeal. Look at Undertaker, Kane, Goldberg, Kurt Angle, Brock Lesnar, these guys were not overexposed and made a impact straight away. People had a lot of intrigue for them. AJ Styles is the same as well since he never went to NXT and challenged the top stars straight away. Samoa Joe could’ve been bigger had he challenged Cena during his debut and not waste his time in NXT.

People are spending so much time in NXT that it’s killing their shelf life. If Cole, Ciampa or Gargano went to the main roster no one will give a fuck. You ain’t new anymore you’re just old news by that point.
It's a great insight. In the past, there was tremendous excitement when a new star made their debut on RAW or Smackdown. Think about how it was when Eddie Guerrero and the rest of the Radicalz showed up, or when Paul Wight crawled out through the bottom of the ring. Or when Chris Jericho made his debut. Or AJ Styles. Or Lex Luger. Or Ric Flair. Or even John Cena, Batista, and Randy Orton making their initial appearances.

But what if instead, they were sent to a third brand - NXT - where they wrestled in front of a nationwide audience for one to five years. How excited would you be to see them then finally move to one of the other two "brands"? There would be some, but generally they would be somewhat old-hat. So for the wrestlers who are supposed to be the backbone of the WWE for the next decade, how much excitement will there be when Keith Lee, Adam Riddle, Tomasso Ciampa, Adam Cole and Velveteen Dream finally make their RAW or Smackdown debuts, after spending 2 - 5 years of being exposed on a co-equal third brand? They won't be repackaged, except for possibly losing a first or last name. They'll be exactly the same performers with the same characters, and as the poster above said the clock is ticking,

·
Premium Member
4,646 Posts
Agree, that's the downside of NXT is when superstars debut on the main roster they don't have the same mystique, there isn't a newness to them. Braun Strowman and Aj Styles were probably the last debuts that were handled well. It boggles my mind how a guy like Adam Cole has been on NXT coming up on 3 years, I'm not a fan of his and don't follow NXT anymore, but that dude had a huge buzz when he came in.

·
Ex Con With A Heart Of Gold
10,244 Posts
They just "celebrated" Undisputed Era being together in NXT for over 1000 days. I really think with the third brand idea, there are going to be NXT lifers like that and they won't go to the main roster, which doesn't really make it NXT. There's people in their 30s and 40s in NXT that wrestled on the indies for about 10 years and then spent years in NXT. How much more "next" are they ever going to get? They have a lot of wrestlers they should move up pronto. The main event scene has been strangled by UE, Tommaso Ciampa and Johnny Gargano and acts that spent time in NXT going back to NXT. Put the spotlight on these fresher acts and new guys like Keith Lee, Karrion Kross, Dexter Lumis, etc and get these wrestlers in their 30s and 40s that have been in NXT for 3+ years out of there!

·
None. More. Hated.
5,739 Posts
They just "celebrated" Undisputed Era being together in NXT for over 1000 days. I really think with the third brand idea, there are going to be NXT lifers like that and they won't go to the main roster, which doesn't really make it NXT. There's people in their 30s and 40s in NXT that wrestled on the indies for about 10 years and then spent years in NXT. How much more "next" are they ever going to get? They have a lot of wrestlers they should move up pronto. The main event scene has been strangled by UE, Tommaso Ciampa and Johnny Gargano and acts that spent time in NXT going back to NXT. Put the spotlight on these fresher acts and new guys like Keith Lee, Karrion Kross, Dexter Lumis, etc and get these wrestlers in their 30s and 40s that have been in NXT for 3+ years out of there!
QFT.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Definitely why I hate the fact that they are on USA now. Samoa Joe definitely should have skipped NXT. Balor should have had a shorter reign. Same with Asuka and Shayna. I miss when you could see lesser known indy talents develop and the show was one hour. I notice that you hardly see that anymore.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
NXT use to be perfect. Consistent turnover kept everything fresh. Feuds never felt too overdone because guys would eventually move up and new programs would start, women aside. Every time the move to TV would be brought up I would dread it and be vocally against it on here because I knew all of that was going to stop. Guess what happened. Guys staying way past their leave date. Failed main roster stars coming back taking up spots. Actual main roster stars doing guest appearances for rating purposes only. I stopped watching when I was proven right. Disappointed.

·
Registered
4,375 Posts
NXT use to be perfect. Consistent turnover kept everything fresh. Feuds never felt too overdone because guys would eventually move up and new programs would start, women aside. Every time the move to TV would be brought up I would dread it and be vocally against it on here because I knew all of that was going to stop. Guess what happened. Guys staying way past their leave date. Failed main roster stars coming back taking up spots. Actual main roster stars doing guest appearances for rating purposes only. I stopped watching when I was proven right. Disappointed.
Yup. It was like how I imagine the old territory days worked. Guys worked for a year to two years or so. They did every dream match. It was exactly the perfect amount of matches, and then they would move onto the main roster and new blood would come in. Since Cole debuted it's been such a deadlock of Gargano, Ciampa and Undisputed Era. It has long outstayed it's welcome.

·
alexa = greatest of all time!
3,042 Posts
honestly i feel that having a major tv show hurt nxt overall. to keep ratings high they HAVE to use the established stars more often than we would like. then once they get called up we are sick of them already.

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Well, they had such a fit with the Invasion Angle because they claimed WCW wrestlers didn't know how to "work their style", so they had to create an environment where they could groom every wrestler coming from a different part of the industry. I guarantee you they looked an Samoa Joe and said "darrr, he isn't going to be able to connect with our audience, let's put him on NXT to learn "our style". It's all about thinking they have some type of a better grasp on the industry than anyone else.

OVW worked great because no one outside of that region saw them, so Cena, Orton, Batista, and Brock could learn what they needed to and then be total unknowns on the main shows. It's not a coincidence that those 4 are really the last big stars that the company has been able to produce

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
  • Tomasso Ciampa: Age 35, has been in NXT for five years
  • Johnny Gargano: Age 32, has been in NXT for five years
  • Alexander Wolfe: Age 33, has been in NXT for five years
  • Pete Dunne: Age 26, has been in NXT for four years
  • Roderick Strong: Age 36, has been in NXT for four years
  • Bobby Fish: Age 43, has been in NXT for three years
  • Velveteen Dream: Age 24, has been in NXT for three years
  • Adam Cole: Age 30, has been in NXT for three years
  • Rhea Ripley: Age 23, has been in NXT for three years
  • Kyle O'Reilly: Age 33, has been in NXT for three years
  • Keith Lee: Age 35, has been in NXT for two years
  • Matt Riddle: Age 34, has been in NXT for two years
  • WALTER: Age 32, has been in NXT for one year
Shayna Brazler was also in NXT for three years before finally joining the main roster.

Compare this to the FCW/NXT tenures for:
  • Daniel Bryan: Months
  • Cesaro: 1 year
  • Bray Wyatt: 1 year initially, 1 year after being sent back down after Nexus
  • Seth Rollins: 2 years
  • Roman Reigns: 2 years
  • Dean Ambrose: 2 years
  • Becky Lynch: 2 years
  • Braun Strowman: 2 years
The only comparable wrestlers are Charlotte Flair (3 years), Baron Corbin (4 years), and Bo Dallas (4 years).

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, they had such a fit with the Invasion Angle because they claimed WCW wrestlers didn't know how to "work their style", so they had to create an environment where they could groom every wrestler coming from a different part of the industry. I guarantee you they looked an Samoa Joe and said "darrr, he isn't going to be able to connect with our audience, let's put him on NXT to learn "our style". It's all about thinking they have some type of a better grasp on the industry than anyone else.

OVW worked great because no one outside of that region saw them, so Cena, Orton, Batista, and Brock could learn what they needed to and then be total unknowns on the main shows. It's not a coincidence that those 4 are really the last big stars that the company has been able to produce
Samoa Joe and Robert Roode were in their late 30s when they signed...WWE should have been keen on getting them to the main roster as soon as possible to maximize what was left of their Bump Card. Basically, do what they did with AJ Styles and Sting and have them go directly to the main roster.

Imagine in AJ Styles had spent the last four years in NXT. Yes, he'd have great matches but those key PPV moments and lengthy main roster title runs all are gone.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Thats why I'd like them to see the brands more like a sports division, with some sort of promotion/relegation system and a draft. In that way you keep all the three brands relevant.

·
Fearless University Graduate
15,284 Posts
It definitely kills the excitement factor. Gone are the days where a Goldberg, Jericho, etc turns up on one of the big shows and makes an impact. Thesedays they're already overexposed in the WWE system by the time they hit the Main Roster. UE have been around for three years now in NXT, so when they hit the Main Roster it will just be more of the same from them.

If a guy is a big enough name (Samoa Joe) they should just skip NXT altogether for more of a buzz on the Main Roster with their debut.

·
Registered
21,519 Posts
There's no such thing as over exposing talent. The issue is the talent aren't in engaging stories most of the time so you get bored with the story and by proxy them. When SmackDown first came around the stories would play out and nobody felt overexposed.

·
Registered
677 Posts
How you initially debut someone perhaps is most crucial in determining how the audience perceives them moving forward. Chris Jericho could have been announced, and then had his debut versus a lower-card wrestler, but look how that was handled instead. He interrupted The Rock, and then immediately got involved with interrupting the Undertaker and '99 peak Kane.

Guys like Ciampa, for example, should have debuted, not in an inconsequential tag-team match, but in a high risk match versus a main event face. That's how you show the threat level of a new talent. You put them against the best, and then from that point on the fans have a reference point. Immediate intrigue.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts