Zane Dawson defeated Dave Dawson
Trevor Murdoch defeated Thomas Latimer
Dan Maff gets bye into first round
Matt Cross gets by into first round

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Starks would be a good first TV champion. The tournament has a good selection of wrestlers that it is so hard to pick just one to win, but Starks is the right choice.

·
Registered
8,379 Posts
So what is the meaning behind the name Hard times ? I guess the focus on that ppv is crowning the tv champ.But we will clearly see all the or most of the other belts. I love that they have 5 different great belts.

National and TV belt have history so they can be good behind the 10 pounds of gold. Not a fan of the ppv being on friday unless thats them tapoing more before the ppv which would be funny

·
Registered
10,587 Posts
January 26th is Royal Rumble. I don't believe there is an NXT PPV on the 25th though, there is a ESPN Free UFC card headlines by Blaydes vs Dos Santos. Not sure that would matter to NWA.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So what is the meaning behind the name Hard times ? I guess the focus on that ppv is crowning the tv champ.But we will clearly see all the or most of the other belts. I love that they have 5 different great belts.

National and TV belt have history so they can be good behind the 10 pounds of gold. Not a fan of the ppv being on friday unless thats them tapoing more before the ppv which would be funny
It looks like the PPV is on Friday January 24th, with the TV tapings happening on the 25th and 26th.

I was wondering the same thing behind the meaning of "Hard Times". I am not a fan of "Into The Fire" and "Hard Times" as PPV names. Considering that Billy has access to many NWA card names of the past, shocked he didn't try to use those or even trademark a few that WWE never did. There are several card names that are still available to use:
  • Battle of the Belts (this was the earlier anniversary show sub title billing)
  • WrestleWar (neither WWE or AEW have this trademarked)
  • SuperBrawl (a NWA/WCW PPV, don't think WWE has it trademarked)
  • The Great American Bash (hasn't been used since 2012 by WWE, not sure if they have it trademarked)

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Cody has a trademark request in for Superbrawl pending.
That is cool if Cody is trying to get the TM, probably wouldn't be a bad idea for Corgan to try the same to pickup some old NWA hosted PPV's since he is actually running the original NWA vs. Cody working for AEW, trying to trademark a lot of his fathers ideas which is not a bad thing.

·
Registered
8,379 Posts
It looks like the PPV is on Friday January 24th, with the TV tapings happening on the 25th and 26th.

I was wondering the same thing behind the meaning of "Hard Times". I am not a fan of "Into The Fire" and "Hard Times" as PPV names. Considering that Billy has access to many NWA card names of the past, shocked he didn't try to use those or even trademark a few that WWE never did. There are several card names that are still available to use:
  • Battle of the Belts (this was the earlier anniversary show sub title billing)
  • WrestleWar (neither WWE or AEW have this trademarked)
  • SuperBrawl (a NWA/WCW PPV, don't think WWE has it trademarked)
  • The Great American Bash (hasn't been used since 2012 by WWE, not sure if they have it trademarked)
He doesn't have access to anything but belts nwa name and some footage. Ppv names are free for anyone to trademark.

Hes better off greating his own ppv names. Very few that would be worth taking that is not locked down by wwe and aew.

I loved the name into the fire and hard times is ok but it depends on its meaning and name we're yet to see.

Excited to see the xmas episode early tomorrow

Only one nwa made itself and not ome of its branches that is even worth it which would be huge is starrcade. Which again someone has that locked down which i think is still wwe.

That ppv has way more value under nwa than aew to

·
Registered
11,568 Posts
They have the Crockett Cup, that's all they need. Who owns Capital Combat?

What if they do Pope vs Ken Anderson? Impact wrestling all over again. I am getting a lot of Impact vibes especially since Crimson, Matt Conway,Behrens,Lagana and Corgan all work for Impact behind the scenes. Plus, Aldis,Storm,Bram,Eli,Allysin,ODB,Pope,Anderson,Homicide, and another wrestler. Those connections were made in Impact.

Predictions on potential matches:
Aldis vs Marty
Kay vs Melina
TV title match
Wildcards vs RNR Express
Stevens vs Cabana

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
They have the Crockett Cup, that's all they need. Who owns Capital Combat?

What if they do Pope vs Ken Anderson? Impact wrestling all over again. I am getting a lot of Impact vibes especially since Crimson, Matt Conway,Behrens,Lagana and Corgan all work for Impact behind the scenes. Plus, Aldis,Storm,Bram,Eli,Allysin,ODB,Pope,Anderson,Homicide, and another wrestler. Those connections were made in Impact.

Predictions on potential matches:
Aldis vs Marty
Kay vs Melina
TV title match
Wildcards vs RNR Express
Stevens vs Cabana
Capital Combat would be a good PPV name, just have to watch out for the RoboCop stink. WrestleWar is available, The Great American Bash might be too, and even Chi-Town Rumble if they had a PPV in Chicago.

Your predictions look pretty spot on, except some how I think it'll be Kay vs. Thunder Rosa.

·
Banned
6,268 Posts
Hard Times is one of the most iconic promos ever cut in wrestling. The PPV name is supposed to conjure up feelings of nostalgia and connection to the product. "My hand is touching your hand."

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
I was certain that the main event would be Aldis vs Scurll, but the build of Aldis vs Tim Storm has been epic and Tim Storm as the humble, older wrestler does fit with Dusty's old "Hard Times" promo. But, they are also building to Aldis vs Ricky Morton, which is also fitting to the PPV name, being potentially Moryon's 1st world title match. If NWA and ROH potential partnership works out, Strictly Business vs Villain Enterprise would be awesome to.

·
Registered
8,379 Posts
So what Tim loses once again to Nick ? I dontt get that. Tim needs the belt but right now is not the time cus nick should hold it for a while more. I guess maybe he will get a 3rd shot at some point

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I was certain that the main event would be Aldis vs Scurll, but the build of Aldis vs Tim Storm has been epic and Tim Storm as the humble, older wrestler does fit with Dusty's old "Hard Times" promo. But, they are also building to Aldis vs Ricky Morton, which is also fitting to the PPV name, being potentially Moryon's 1st world title match. If NWA and ROH potential partnership works out, Strictly Business vs Villain Enterprise would be awesome to.
As much the nostalgia in me is okay with Morton vs Aldis on Powerrr, I wouldn’t want to pay to see Aldis vs Morton. This is actually Morton’s second World title match, he fought Flair in the 80s for the NWA World title when they were taking each person from the big tag teams having face Flair here and there. We had Hawk face Flair, same with Nikita even before he left the Russians, so please no Morton vs Aldis at the PPV.

I think a Strictly Bus vs VE PPV headliner in some kind of war games match would be cool down the road once the feud can have time to build.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Morton did weeks of title matches, i think during the great american bash

Saw one on a vhs tape

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Morton did weeks of title matches, i think during the great american bash

Saw one on a vhs tape
Yeah he did during Bash '86 tour if I can recall.

It looks like it is Nick Aldis vs. Flip Gordon at the PPV. They didn't say if it was an NWA World title match or non-title.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
LOL! @ Scott Steiner carrying out that old NWA World Tag title that he first won with Rick. Steiner is so hilarious, punk asses and fat asses. LMAO.

·
Registered
8,379 Posts
I'm confused I swear Nick was facing him storm at hard times but now he's facing flip? Does Nick have two matches I'm I'm lost

1 - 20 of 94 Posts