Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
7,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
http://graphics.wsj.com/nra-ads-video-history/?mod=article_inline

Cool little article I thought on advertising from the NRA from it's 1871 foundation to modern times. One of my favourites is a 1956 comic where young Billy accidentally shoots his friend... "Because of ignorance!!".

Doesn't take long to get through.

Then boy did I open pandora's box when I went to the NRA YT channel.

'Sleepy' Evers is promoting gun control!
(Is that even real or have I been taken in?)

But thank the lord Ted Budd is here to save us

Finally I must admit I quite liked this instructional video - until it was revealed to be about how and what to post to social media about your gun activities.

That's an incredibly telling thing that they even felt the need to make. 'We're not exactly telling you to be totally safe.... but you need to appear to be safe with your guns on facebook so we avoid bad press.'

·
The Sundance Kid
18,392 Posts
The whole point of the "be responsible and safe in your social media posts with your gun" video is to encourage people to be a role model for and promote gun safety, which is explicitly stated at the end of the video. This thread would work better in an echo chamber, which this forum thankfully is not.

·
E:16
6,195 Posts
I actually don't see any problem with that last video. She's hot but much hotter without the gun mind.

·
Premium Member
44,064 Posts
I've always felt this way as someone who does not own a gun or feel the need to own a gun.

Personally, I think some people are twisted enough to do anything. You could outlaw guns in the US tomorrow and all you'd be doing is taking guns away from responsible people. The psychos either wouldn't hand them over or find other way to kill people (homemade bombs for example).

I wish that the conversation would be able what it is that is driving people to do this rather than whether or not the device being used should be banned or not.

And again, personally, the people I know that are gun owners are the types I would absolutely trust with a gun and they take gun safety about as seriously as any human being can. I myself never felt comfortable having one in my home so I never went about getting one. I would however like to go to a shooting range at some point just to get a feel for it.

·
Registered
7,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The whole point of the "be responsible and safe in your social media posts with your gun" video is to encourage people to be a role model for and promote gun safety, which is explicitly stated at the end of the video. This thread would work better in an echo chamber, which this forum thankfully is not.
Yes the role model message is a good one indeed and that's a healthy take on it. I was just a bit taken a back by the whole social media focus - why not just have a video on gun safety full stop? Of which there are plenty more with the same lady as a role model already.

Seemed a strange avenue to go down in particular that you would even have that topic of SM. So I don't think it's that strange to come at it a bit cynically.

Overall my post was without judgement so strange you and others would be quite defensive. More evidence of the US love affair with guns and gun rights being so hand in hand with patriotism.

·
tombstone blues
14,293 Posts
Reactions: floyd2386

·
Registered
7,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Personally, I think some people are twisted enough to do anything. You could outlaw guns in the US tomorrow and all you'd be doing is taking guns away from responsible people. The psychos either wouldn't hand them over or find other way to kill people (homemade bombs for example).

I wish that the conversation would be able what it is that is driving people to do this rather than whether or not the device being used should be banned or not.
Indeed that's a great place to start, but I would say I don't think that anyone is asking anyone to ban guns altogether. Just stricter control, regulation, awareness and education etc.

What do you think is driving people to do the mass school/public shootings for example? I would like to add to that the alarming rate of accidental shooting involving family members maiming or killing each other. That alone screams to me there is a major problem with gun culture. It's too accepted as a normal thing without appreciated for the danger IMO.

·
Registered
976 Posts
yeah you arent going to be able to pull that "muh evil NRA" shite here maybe you would be better off on the chapo trap house forums, or "nba forum"

Reactions: AverageJoe9

·
Training to be a Grappler
2,340 Posts

·
Registered
7,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
yeah you arent going to be able to pull that "muh evil NRA" shite here maybe you would be better off on the chapo trap house forums, or "nba forum"
Thanks for your useless contribution. Have anything to say that requires a brain?

·
Registered
7,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Of the 27 deadliest mass shooters, 26 were fatherless.

https://www.patheos.com/blogs/markmeckler/2018/02/27-deadliest-mass-shooters-26-one-thing-common/

That is as much of a problem as any... I am sure there will be some who want to ignore that and blame it on something else, but to say it isn't a factor, would be ignoring the obvious.
Yeah a big factor for sure - a lot of them seem to be the social outcast / misfit type as well.

What almost concerns me more about this sort of gun safety topic is incidents of small children accidentally shooting people:

https://abcnews.go.com/US/child-accidentally-shoots-mother-shotgun-backseat-car/story?id=60588706

All of the children were under 4, but it's unclear how old the child was who pulled the trigger, police said.

The sheriff's office said preliminary information showed the woman's three children were in the back seat of the car when one of the children picked up an unsecured shotgun and shot her through the back of the seat.

https://www.newsweek.com/louisiana-toddler-shoots-mother-back-bedroom-1240656

After investigating the scene, police officers concluded that the woman’s two-year-old son had found an unsecured gun at the residence. He then appeared to have accidentally fired the gun in a bedroom, shooting his mother in the back.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/toddler-dead-after-accidentally-shooting-himself-gun-found-under-pillow-n936971

A two-year-old boy is dead after finding a handgun under a pillow at his home and accidentally shooting himself, according to police in Jonesboro, Georgia.
There's something wrong here. Why are these people and many others so irresponsible with their guns? I'm sorry but as far as I know shit like this doesn't happen in other 1st world countries at anywhere near the rate of the US.

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
Yeah a big factor for sure - a lot of them seem to be the social outcast / misfit type as well.

What almost concerns me more about this sort of gun safety topic is incidents of small children accidentally shooting people:

https://abcnews.go.com/US/child-accidentally-shoots-mother-shotgun-backseat-car/story?id=60588706

https://www.newsweek.com/louisiana-toddler-shoots-mother-back-bedroom-1240656

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/toddler-dead-after-accidentally-shooting-himself-gun-found-under-pillow-n936971

There's something wrong here. Why are these people and many others so irresponsible with their guns? I'm sorry but as far as I know shit like this doesn't happen in other 1st world countries at anywhere near the rate of the US.
Yet you come in here trashing the NRA, a group that tries educating people so shit like that doesn't happen.

I've talked about this on here before, but it's worth mentioning again. My childhood friend that I knew since we were 7 had his own gun, as did his Dad and sister. We all managed to survive, seemingly against all odds. How? Education. Even at 7 years of age, my friend knew better to ever show his gun or even tell anyone where it was, despite any peer pressure to do so. I thought he was a liar, but I finally actually saw the mythical beast when I went with them hunting.

25 years later, I still have no idea where the hell they were hidden lol.

·
Training to be a Grappler
2,340 Posts

I think that is more chicken or the egg theory.

Like I said, there are a lot of factors... but the social outcasts thing is something i will look more into, good point.

·
The Fastest of the Fastest of Jamaican Sprinters
3,897 Posts
The NRA was founded a mere seven months after the Ku Klux Klan was declared an illegal terrorist organization.

Coincidence?

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
The NRA was founded a mere seven months after the Ku Klux Klan was declared an illegal terrorist organization.

Coincidence?

They helped arm black families so they are able to defend themselves from the KKK.

In fact, gun control has quite the history with racism. The KKK started off as a gun control group.

Coincidence?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts