Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

With scientific data piling up showing that the world has reached its hottest-ever point in recorded history, global-warming skeptics are facing a high-profile defection from their ranks. Bjorn Lomborg, author of the influential tract "The Skeptical Environmentalist," has reversed course on the urgency of global warming, and is now calling for action on "a challenge humanity must confront."

Lomborg, a Danish academic, had previously downplayed the risk of acute climate change. A former member of Greenpeace, he was a vocal critic of the Kyoto Protocol -- a global U.N. treaty to cut carbon emissions that the United States refused to ratify -- as well as numerous other environmental causes.

"The Skeptical Environmentalist," published in 2001, argued that many key preoccupations of the environmental movement, including pollution control and biodiversity, were either overblown as threats or amenable to relatively simple technological fixes. Lomborg argued that the governments spending billions to curb carbon emissions would be better off diverting those resources to initiatives such as AIDS research, anti-malaria programs and other kinds of humanitarian aid.

Lomborg's essential argument was: Yes, global warming is real and human behavior is the main reason for it, but the world has far more important things to worry about.

Oh, how times have changed.

In a book to be published this year, Lomborg calls global warming "undoubtedly one of the chief concerns facing the world today" and calls for the world's governments to invest tens of billions of dollars annually to fight climate change.

Lomborg's former foes in the environmental movement are so far unimpressed by news of his conversion. Calling him a "shrewd self-promoter," Grist.org's Jonathan Hiskes marveled at Lomborg's ability to "play the media" in simply "adopting a position already held by millions of sensible people." And Friends of the Earth climate campaigner Mike Childs told the U.K. Guardian, "It appears that the self-styled skeptical environmentalist is beginning to become less skeptical as he enters middle age."

(Photo of Lomborg via AP/Christopher Patrick Grant)

By Brett Michael Dykes – Tue Aug 31, 2:17 pm ET

·
Banned
6,893 Posts
Clearly this man has taken a bump to the head on Friday night after a few Carlsbergs and woken up a complete moron.

'Global warming' in the "caused by humans" sense is a total myth. It's the tail of a major-scale geological event that's been happening for well over 100,000 years. The call them 'ice ages' - we're at the very, very end of one. Get over it. It'll get cold again in another 50,000 years and people will be bitching then to tell people to stop using their refrigerators or some bollocks.

·
Damn Fine Cup of Coffee
12,954 Posts
Clearly this man has taken a bump to the head on Friday night after a few Carlsbergs and woken up a complete moron.

'Global warming' in the "caused by humans" sense is a total myth. It's the tail of a major-scale geological event that's been happening for well over 100,000 years. The call them 'ice ages' - we're at the very, very end of one. Get over it. It'll get cold again in another 50,000 years and people will be bitching then to tell people to stop using their refrigerators or some bollocks.
I'm sure the numerous scientists who study this for a living know a lot more than you do about this.

And your right but we are speeding up the process at an alarming rate and destroying the ozone layer at such a rate that it would take thousands of years for it to reform. That is, if the planet hasn't become a wasteland by then. Fossil fuel emissions weren't spewing into the air from millions of vehicles thousands of years ago.

·
40,587 Posts

There's an ice age, then there is glaciation. The Earth hasn't had ice on its surface for most of its existence. Supposedly, when the Isthmus of Panama formed it created the Gulf Stream. This made it possible for ice to form on both poles, drastically cooling the Earth. Every few tens of thousands of years the glaciers recede and grow. We're at the tail end of the glacial recession, like you said. We've been in an Ice Age for a very long time relative to human existence, but a short time relative to the Earth's existence.

However, by inspecting the ice of Antarctica we can see how long it takes for this ebb and flow of glaciers. In the recent past, it looks like the glaciers are receding far faster than they have in the past.

Even if man isn't causing this sped up warming trend, we still need to get off of fossil fuels and use another fuel that is more efficient and renewable.

·
@delecast
4,401 Posts

Yes, the global temperature is cyclical. The main worry is that carbon and CO2 levels in the atmosphere are at their highest point in thousands of years. Since the carbon level in the atmosphere appears to be highly correlated with global temperature, there is a major cause for concern.

·
The Man
15,234 Posts
Even if man isn't causing this sped up warming trend, we still need to get off of fossil fuels and use another fuel that is more efficient and renewable.
This X1000

Regardless of whether or not Global Warming is caused by humans, we need to be taking better care of our planet, and especially our ocean which won't be looking good in the next 30 years if we don't change soon.

·
Lynskey Lover
774 Posts
Yep. The thing is, and I don't want to come over all James Jay Lee, but Human Beings ARE Parasites.
Over the past 200 years we've began to suck this planet dry, it might take a long, long time to get to that point, but the fact is, it will.
It's one thing to say the Earth has had it's fair share of climate change, but it's never had one that's man made. We've all but destroyed our age-old protection from the sun, not just through Hairspray or Fridges, but sending up huge rockets, fueled by huge amounts of fuel that we've sucked from the Earth.

I'm not a Tree Hugger, but I understand it's pretty clear we're fucking this planet up & you know what? WE as the people of this planet have allowed that to happen, therefore WE will have to face the consequences of it.

It's only fair.

·
Is Bertstarin you
5,830 Posts
I'm sure the numerous scientists who study this for a living know a lot more than you do about this.

And your right but we are speeding up the process at an alarming rate and destroying the ozone layer at such a rate that it would take thousands of years for it to reform. That is, if the planet hasn't become a wasteland by then. Fossil fuel emissions weren't spewing into the air from millions of vehicles thousands of years ago.
I do and have studied this. It's not "human" its natural. The only people who say otherwise are paid to do so.

You can prove anything you want, if you only record the favorable data.

The use more efficient fuels is worthless. We use oil for a reason. There isn't another safe reliable option. If there was, we'd use it. Hybrids using Li-Ion cells, hydrogen cars, solar panels, are all not prevalent for a reason. Efficiency, safety, and practicality.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts

Given any set of numbers you can prove anything, we proved that menopause causes global warming in college. As the population increases the number of women having hot flashes increase and therefore their menopause has caused global warming, especially the baby boomers.

I swear to god I hope an asteroid or a volcano hit/blows soon, so it will cool the earth and shut everyone up. No one ever mentions that those CO2 reading are also taken in Hawaii where a volcano has been spewing CO2 into the air since 1983 non stop.

·
Is Bertstarin you
5,830 Posts
Given any set of numbers you can prove anything, we proved that menopause causes global warming in college. As the population increases the number of women having hot flashes increase and therefore their menopause has caused global warming, especially the baby boomers.

I swear to god I hope an asteroid or a volcano hit/blows soon, so it will cool the earth and shut everyone up. No one ever mentions that those CO2 reading are also taken in Hawaii where a volcano has been spewing CO2 into the air since 1983 non stop.
They don't because they are getting paid to research this stuff. I'm okay with it because it does give people jobs. As much as people bitch about taxes going to worthless things, I'd rather them go to hardworking individuals trying to use their college degree than some illiterate fool who doesn't want to work.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts