Wrestling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I will start with my birth city; Winnipeg, Canada.

"Bulldog" Bob Brown: Was huge from the 60s-80s, especially in Western Canada and the Mid Western USA. He won a slew of championships in the territory days from promotions in Kansas City, Vancouver, Calgary (Stampede), and Atlantic Canada.

Don Callis (aka Jackyl/Cyrus): Champion in Manitoba-based WFWA in the late 80s-early 90s. Had his big break in WWE in 1996, with the Truth Commission. Originally the plans were to team him with Rick Martel as "The Supermodels" before Martel left for WCW. Mainly worked as a heel manager known as The "Jackyl." Went on to manage the "Oddities" before being released in 1999, but found work as a heel executive and commentator in ECW known as "Cyrus." Retired for over a decade, before returning to Impact Wrestling in 2017, recently signing with AEW as a manager.

Steve Corino: Made appearances in the Indies, and WWE dark matches in the 90s, before signing with ECW. Was hired as a manager, but later became a one-time ECW Champion in 2000. Left company before it folded due to pay disputes. He has mainly wrestled in Ring of Honor, and Independent promotions for the past 20 years.

Chris Irvine (aka Chris Jericho): The son of NHL player Ted Irvine, Jericho was born on Long Island, but grew up in his fathers hometown of Winnipeg. Became a wrestler at 19, after travelling to Calgary to train by the Hart family. Met, and became close friends with fellow Dungeon graduate Lance Storm. Jericho would be hired by Jim Cornette, and worked at Smoky Mountain Wrestling, after wrestling for Mexican promotions in the early 90s. Was offered a contract with ECW at the beginning of 1996, and briefly challenged for the Heavyweight Title, before WCW took interest and signed Jericho in the summer of 1996. The rest is history. One of the most well known wrestlers in the city of all time.

Tyson Smith (aka Kenny Omega): Began his career after finishing high school in 2001, and worked in Independent promotions, including signing a deal with WWE to train in their development territory in 2005. Personal differences led Omega to leave, and eventually travel to Japan in 2008 to wrestle. By 2011 he was winning championships in Japan, and eventually joined New Japan Pro Wrestling, and went on to become one of the biggest stars in the country in the 2010's. By 2019, Omega singed with AEW, where he won the World title. Omega has arguably been one of the best pro wrestlers of the last 5 years.

Roderick Toombs (aka Roddy Piper): One of the all-time greats. Piper was technically born in Saskatoon, but grew up in Winnipeg after his father, who was a policeman for the CN Rail, was transferred. Piper lived in an abusive home, and ran away at 15, and lived on the streets, making money by setting up boxing and wrestling rings. He eventually became fond of wrestling, and trained in martial arts, wrestling and boxing during his teens. Piper worked as a jobber for several years in the AWA, until getting his big break in a California promotion in 1975 at the age of 21. He then went on to feud with top wrestlers all over the West Coast, and became a mainstay in the Pacific Northwest (Oregon). By 1980, Piper ventured out into Mid-Atlantic, and feuded with Ric Flair, Jack Brisco, and Don Muraco. He turned face, and became one of the most popular wrestlers in the southern USA, and had a huge match at the first ever Starrcade 83. Vince McMahon offered him more money in 1984, and the rest is history.

·
Registered
17,819 Posts
Lafayette, Louisiana. As far as I know from memory, just Rodney Mack.

Reactions: Jets4Life

·
Registered
791 Posts
I think the most famous german wrestler ever is Alex Wright.
Probably altough, depending on how you count it, the most famous german wrestler is definitely Buddy Rogers, both his parents are german and his real name is Herman Gustav Rohde Jr. I think that counts.

As for me: The two biggest names from Munich are probably Wolfgang Ehrl, who won quite a few medals at the Olympics and European Championship and was the biggest drawing bavarian wrestler in the 50's and the other is of course the infamous Thumbtack Jack.

·
Registered
8,953 Posts
The Burgh

Kurt Angle
Shane Douglas
Bruno - was from Italy but lived here.
Elias
Mark Madden doesn't count cause he's not a wrestler and nobody here can stand him

Reactions: Jets4Life

·
Registered
Upsets softy-wofty rejoiners
4,880 Posts
I was born in London.

One that I know was born in London was Nigel McGuinness, though he lived in Stapleshurst in Kent. As I now live in Kent (the other end of it), that's quite fitting.

I know that Zack Sabre Jr was born on the Isle of Sheppey (they have webbed fingers there).

Jimmy Havoc was from Dartford too, quite close to where I grew up.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Les Thatcher
Jon Moxley
Brian Pillman
Brian Pillman jr
Angelo Dawkins
Linda Miles
Pete Rose 😉
Ted Turner 😛

going to put a % of claim on Randy Savage he was born in Zanesville but in and out of Cincy quite a bit in his early years through ICW including of course briefly being part of the Cincinnati Reds farm system

most other more famous Ohio wrestlers are from Cleveland,Columbus, Dayton and or Lima

1 - 20 of 46 Posts