Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Take Miz for example, who I truly believe is a very talented individual. Can he put on a decent match? Yes. Is he an electric personality on the microphone? Absolutely. I mean the guy is a heat magnet sometimes. He's witty, he's clever, and he's condescending. I mean you could tell he's just really, really good at his craft. Granted I don't understand the appeal of his catchphrase, I'd be a fool not to admit he's a good talker or that he's not entertaining.

NEWSFLASH: BEING FUNNY DOESN'T MEAN YOU SHOULD BE THE WORLD CHAMPION

Think about the late 80's and early 90's. Did Roddy Piper ever hold the belt? No. You want to know why? Because he was never built as a credible enough threat. Piper as a face, circa 1992, was pretty fucking over. You know why he wasn't touching the World Title? Because Hogan was a selfish prick who didn't want-.... oops, I'm sorry. I meant it's because no one was going to accept Piper beating Hogan in a World Title match. That's the bottom line. Piper's strength as a character lied in his personality, not his in ring prowess. Was he funny? Fuck yeah. Was he one of the most entertaining personalities in the business? For sure. Would he have made a good World Champion? No.

It's a combination of both being over and being credible. Ultimate Warrior was not only more over than just about anyone on the roster not named Hulk Hogan, but just by looking at him you could believe he could destroy any wrestler at any given time. You can't build a character of that magnitude, who's that over, and not give him a shot. He had to challenge Hogan because people believed he could beat him.

John Cena, Randy Orton, Triple H... these guys aren't just over, but they're built as being legitimate threats. That's why they compete for the World Title. Orton as of late is practically plowing through the entire roster. When and if he wins the title again, it's going to make sense. I may not be his biggest fan, but he is - without a doubt - World Championship material.

Miz isn't going to draw as the World Champion, and in the end that's what it's all about. As talented and as entertaining as he may be, I just don't see him being the marquee name. That's why the Intercontinental Title exists, for guys like Miz.

·
Registered
5,200 Posts
ever since the post benoit incident the wwe has been more lighter. there's more 215-230 pound guys than 250-275 pound guys who are getting the spotlight and now since march the wwe are pushing guys who are 180-200 ... kaval, bourne, danielson(when he's back), and of course mysterio

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Rey Mysterio is not a credible World Champion for me but he was, twice.

But, I agree with your point 100%
Well to be fair, I wasn't just picking on Miz. He's just the first guy I had thought of. The truth is that there's a long, long list of names who were all poor World Champions. This, combined with the fact that it's tossed around from month to month, is the reason why the title holds little to no prestige these days.

It isn't anything new. It's been going on for a real long time. There were mistakes made in the past as well, but lately I think it's becoming an alarming trend. Swagger, Miz, etc... these guys don't belong in the World Title picture.

But that's just me.

edit: The thing with Mysterio though, is that he IS built as a credible contender.

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
Nothing new here. You are a main eventer when you can credibly beat other main eventers and doesn't look like a surprise. That's today's problem, IMO there are 2 classes of main eventers in the WWE today. They have several guys who are practically invincible (Cena, HHH, Orton, Rey Mysterio, Undertaker, etc.) for any upper-midcarder and they have main eventers who are treated like crap (Swagger, Punk, Jericho) and lose very main event match. Casually it's faces vs heels, and the problem is that there is not a single heel that looks like a threat for the faces. NOT A SINGLE ONE.

·
Registered
6,319 Posts
That's changed now. It begun with the Attitude Era hotshotting title changes, and is especially true now there are two world titles in the company. MITB has eliminated this build, and the champion now gets over and gets character formed after cashing in the briefcase. That's just how it is.

In the 1980s, with lengthy title reigns, champions defending the belt a few times a year, TV being full of jobber squashes, I agree with you- at that time, he just wouldn't have been the guy they were looking for. In the modern context though, with two belts being defended on 14 PPVs a year, MITB, and the culture of quick title swaps, yes, Miz is absolutely championship material.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Nothing new here. You are a main eventer when you can credibly beat other main eventers and doesn't look like a surprise. That's today's problem, IMO there are 2 classes of main eventers in the WWE today. They have several guys who are practically invincible (Cena, HHH, Orton, Rey Mysterio, Undertaker, etc.) for any upper-midcarder and they have main eventers who are treated like crap (Swagger, Punk, Jericho) and lose very main event match. Casually it's faces vs heels, and the problem is that there is not a single heel that looks like a threat for the faces. NOT A SINGLE ONE.
Edge was a threat to the faces because of the things he has done. However he has done nearly everything that can be done with his heel RATED R gimmick.

·
Registered
995 Posts
Take Miz for example, who I truly believe is a very talented individual. Can he put on a decent match? Yes. Is he an electric personality on the microphone? Absolutely. I mean the guy is a heat magnet sometimes. He's witty, he's clever, and he's condescending. I mean you could tell he's just really, really good at his craft. Granted I don't understand the appeal of his catchphrase, I'd be a fool not to admit he's a good talker or that he's not entertaining.
You just gave every reason why he should be world champion.
Yet:

NEWSFLASH: BEING FUNNY DOESN'T MEAN YOU SHOULD BE THE WORLD CHAMPION
You say this.
Ironic.

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
I'm a fan of The Miz, but he's arrived at a time in the WWE where there is simply no one better coming along.

Swagger? He has the size and look, in ring ability. Mic skills are a little lacking
Kofi? Had his momentum halted by Orton, you can blame that master of average for holding back Anderson too.

These two apart from Miz seem to be the front runner, but neither of them seem like world champions either.

The fact is everyone nowadays is simply booked as generic awful characters. In fact I'd say Wade Barret is one of the first total packages in a long while, and will make a great main eventing heel in the future.

I know people will disagree with me, but title changes hands too often as well. They might as well change it to a one title system and not have a brand split at all, and keep the title on Cena until they can build up someone as a legit threat to him, like Batista was until he was buried until he retired.

I rambled a little, but there I see so little drawing talent in this generation. I can see why they've panic pushed young talent who aren't ready.

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
since we are talking about being credible here, people forget something very important in this conversation...the miz is still young! is he a "credible" guy to legit challenge for the title? eh, i wouldn't say yes...but i wouldn't exactly say no either. it would all depend on how that match or feud was booked and who the champion was etc. but this is as of today. lets see what happens 5 years from now, even 5 months from now..hell, 5 weeks from now. who knows what he'll do by then. maybe he will be a "credible" challenger. the one thing i hope we can ALL agree on is that he isn't a joke anymore. he's graduated from that clusterfuck of people. santino, kozlov, khali, carlito(even though he's talented), to an extent regal will NEVER hold a world title(in khali's case ever again). they just aren't credible. they're a joke. same with goldust...although, i'd really love for him to snap one monday night and become legit again, but whatever. the difference between goldy and the others i mentioned is that he was actually successful at one point in his career for a decent amount of time. he could go back in a heartbeat because he's been there before. santino was the guy who came out of the crowd and beat umaga for the IC title and then you blinked and he got all goofy and started winning diva battle royals..WTF? back to the miz. he's young...he hasn't had a long career or even a well established career yet. like i said, give him 5 years, 5 months, even 5 weeks...who knows. to say miz is or isn't cut out to be champion is a bit premature.

·
Registered
21,591 Posts
The Rock says hello.

- Vic
The Rock wasn't world champ because he was funny. He was world champion cos he was one of the most popular men on the planet and he could wrestle to boot.

For me the world champion is the man who you want to best represent your brand. Obviously in this day and age you need at 3 at a time, so you can shift the title between the 3 over and over. Guys like Cena, Orton & HHH are the guys on Raw for example. Each guy is arguably the face of the WWE.

·
Banned
4,201 Posts
The Rock says hello.

- Vic
Your post makes no sense, goodbye. (I hate this whole 'blah blah blah says hello' thing on here btw, just STFU)

The Rock was world champion because he was hugellllllly over, not just 'over', but HUGELY over. He has perfect mic skills, the look, the background, the charisma, and was the ultimate sports entertainer.

Not just because he was 'funny'

HELLO.

·
Registered
2,727 Posts
How the fuck is the Miz not credible? He's held every title that there is to hold in the WWE except the world title in the span of a year.When he wins the world title and actually gets more air time, you'll see how legit he'll seem.

·
Registered
3,651 Posts
Your post makes no sense, goodbye. (I hate this whole 'blah blah blah says hello' thing on here btw, just STFU)

The Rock was world champion because he was hugellllllly over, not just 'over', but HUGELY over. He has perfect mic skills, the look, the background, the charisma, and was the ultimate sports entertainer.

Not just because he was 'funny'

HELLO.
lol u mad

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
Miz isn't going to draw as the World Champion, and in the end that's what it's all about. As talented and as entertaining as he may be, I just don't see him being the marquee name. That's why the Intercontinental Title exists, for guys like Miz.
Well when Randy Orton won his first and only WHC in 2004, he wasn't believable at all, therefor it was right for him to lose the title 3 weeks later to Triple H.

Great Khali was never cut out for it... I see what you mean though.
If you don't find Khali believable, there's something wrong. Back then he was a beast, 2007 was his best year by far, he squashed Batista, Rey-Rey, John Cena, Edge, Randy Orton, Shawn Michaels etc etc. back then.

·
Registered
559 Posts
the way i see it, there giving miz alot more air time, building him, and each week he gets more over than the last. maybe his first run will be premature and suck, but thats the way i felt with cena, i was like are they seriously letting this guy win the championship? hell be gone in a year. i was wrong, he ended up being the biggest thing in wrestling at the moment. orton just came out goddamn no were and started impressing the hell outa me. it all takes time. miz will be one of our top heels by lets say wrestlemania.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts